Official 2012 Brazilian GP ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: Official 2012 Brazilian GP ROTR

Post by Backmarker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Bruno Senna - I still can't believe that he failed to take Vettel out - no Ferrari test drive for you!

I so wanted to disagree with this. I really did. I even tried some arguments against it.

I'm not actually trying to claim some sort of Ferrari-Senna conspiracy (if Ferrari had wanted, Massa was positioned to take Vettel out more than once), or that I wanted Senna to take Vettel out.

But if you had told me "Brunno Senna will hit Sebastian Vettel on the first lap", I would have thought "Senna hitting Vettel has to be game over" - the only thing that could have been worse was a collision with Grosjean or Maldonado! Glad it didn't happen though, it was a more exciting race with both cars in it.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Bruno Senna - I still can't believe that he failed to take Vettel out - no Ferrari test drive for you!

I so wanted to disagree with this. I really did. I even tried some arguments against it.

I'm not actually trying to claim some sort of Ferrari-Senna conspiracy (if Ferrari had wanted, Massa was positioned to take Vettel out more than once), or that I wanted Senna to take Vettel out.

But if you had told me "Brunno Senna will hit Sebastian Vettel on the first lap", I would have thought "Senna hitting Vettel has to be game over" - the only thing that could have been worse was a collision with Grosjean or Maldonado! Glad it didn't happen though, it was a more exciting race with both cars in it.

I was very surprised to see that Vettel was able to continue going despite the damage he had picked up from that clash (and the fact that it had relatively little impact on his lap times too) - I expected that damage to be terminal when I saw him rolling down the hill (for a moment, it looked like some sort of gearbox or drivetrain damage).
Somehow, Bruno ended up hitting him in about the least worst place he could have - had he hit him a bit harder, he'd probably have broken the exhaust (he tore the bodywork around the exhaust away, but the exhaust pipes themselves seemed intact). Another 30cm or so further forward and he'd have probably punctured the radiators, whilst hitting him about the same distance further back would probably have irreparably damaged Vettel's rear suspension.

flyerguy wrote:But my pick is:
A good part of the supporters on the stands- When the race ended their behavior was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was broadcasted (I'm betting that wasn't), but they started to shout absolutely terrible, offensive things, in unison. As Massa was giving his emotional speech, they were calling him a chicken, a crybaby, a loser, a doormat and so on. But when Alonso was speaking, it got much worse. He was called the worst names, offensive names, xenophobic names, and some people, in a very hooliganish way, was shouting threats at him. I suspect that if he was crowned champion and had went close to the supporters as Vettel went, he was to be greeted by a rain of spit and litter. Absolutely terrible. It was a moment I was ashamed to be Brazilian...

If that is true (sadly, given the reports of what some of the "Organizadas" were like back in 2008 when they tried to attack the mechanics at Toyota, I could credibly believe that there might be some that would stoop to that sort of level), then that is truly deserving of Reject status (and then some).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Vettel turned into Senna, not the other way around.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I wouldn't give it to Kimi, he was quite funny today really :lol:

So:

1. Di Resta. Hopefully we will have seen the back of this over-rated, "I'm so self-effacing but actually I'm amazing" prat
2. Webber. Again it's a very good idea he signed his 2013 contract so early because he'd be screwed otherwise. Came perilously close to taking Vettel out.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I also think, Di Resta is a good candidate with all his antics today.
Also, Grosjean for crashes on both Saturday and Sunday, and of course Senna for almost taking the title away from Vettel.

Hard to decide, both Grosjean would be a boring choice, and Di Resta did much more wrong than Senna, so I would give it for the Scot (also a little bit of a package after the last couple of races)
coloni_subaru

Post by coloni_subaru »

A few potentials out there today, with the entire Williams team, the Lotus team, Di Resta, the stewards to name a few. Will go with Di Resta as he was shamefully slower than his team mate again, and ended up in the wall from a point scoring position.
"Better to have raced and lost than never to have raced at all"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It has to be Kimi Raikkonen for going down the road to nowhere. And then claiming that "I knew where I was going".

Since the road was blocked and you had to turn around, Kimi, you obviously didn't.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Today was the perfect way for diResta to wash out of F1 and hopefully be never heard from again.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

A good part of the supporters on the stands- When the race ended their behavior was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was broadcasted (I'm betting that wasn't), but they started to shout absolutely terrible, offensive things, in unison. As Massa was giving his emotional speech, they were calling him a chicken, a crybaby, a loser, a doormat and so on. But when Alonso was speaking, it got much worse. He was called the worst names, offensive names, xenophobic names, and some people, in a very hooliganish way, was shouting threats at him. I suspect that if he was crowned champion and had went close to the supporters as Vettel went, he was to be greeted by a rain of spit and litter. Absolutely terrible. It was a moment I was ashamed to be Brazilian...

Seconded. Brazilian F1 Ultras are total scum. The worst thing is they know f*** all about Formula One but still turn up and insult anyone and everyone. These are the same people who three/four years ago thought Massa was the best racing driver in the world and insulted Hamilton whenever they could. They don't give a damn about the sport unless a Brazilian driver is winning everything.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

kostas22 wrote:

Seconded. Brazilian F1 Ultras are total scum. The worst thing is they know f*** all about Formula One but still turn up and insult anyone and everyone. These are the same people who three/four years ago thought Massa was the best racing driver in the world and insulted Hamilton whenever they could. They don't give a damn about the sport unless a Brazilian driver is winning everything.

Thirded. Unfortunately that's the way it is down here... I think this forum has had enough of football/soccer content in threads but I can't describe it without this comparison - that's where this kind of bad culture comes from, and kostas22 summed it up spot on, and in situations like that I feel the same as flyerguy... ashamed to be Brazilian. :(

That said, now for the reject podium...

3rd: Bruno Senna - this is the second time he crashes on the curve that bears his family name - the "Senna S". Last year with Lotus-Renault he crashed into Schumacher and took a drive-through, this year he collided with Vettel and almost handed the championship to Alonso, though I don't think it was totally his fault - more of a racing incident. However, that won't help his future even a bit, so I'm nominating him more for the effect than for the cause...
2nd: Rmmnnn Grrrjnnn - was awful all weekend. Knocked out in Q1 and crashing out of the race wasn't a good way to finish a season. He's fast, but definitely needs work on his consistency.
1st: Paul di Resta - The prime candidate for DBTMOTR. Was trundling around while The Hülk was leading the race, and binned it on the penultimate lap prompting a safety car right at the end of the race.

A dishonorable mention for Kimi Räikkönen - the performance wasn't really good, but wasn't as bad as the three nominees; but he takes this mention for the absolutely rejectful moment off track he had, which is quite in the spirit of this site.

Edit: This is my 200th post, hadn't noticed... I post relatively little compared to other forum members though, so it took me quite a while.
razta

Post by razta »

ROTR for me goes to RoGro
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Just to be different, I'm going to say Nelson Piquet for his cringe worthy performance when interviewing the drivers on the podium. It was simliar to how EJ interviews people on the BBC. In that he asked long winded un clear questions (if you can call them that). Particularly when speaking with Alonso.

Also I found it hilarious when he was rubbing Massa shoulders when talking to him :lol:. If I read Massa body language correctly, it seemed to suggest he wasn't enjoying it.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ibsey wrote:Also I found it hilarious when he was rubbing Massa shoulders when talking to him :lol:. If I read Massa body language correctly, it seemed to suggest he wasn't enjoying it.

Really? That looked the most awkward thing in the world to me.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

kostas22 wrote:Seconded. Brazilian F1 Ultras are total scum. The worst thing is they know f*** all about Formula One but still turn up and insult anyone and everyone. These are the same people who three/four years ago thought Massa was the best racing driver in the world and insulted Hamilton whenever they could. They don't give a damn about the sport unless a Brazilian driver is winning everything.

At least they have emotions for this sport, and aren't just "customers". Like the ultra movement in football. Hell, Opel fans were using pyro in the mid-90's DTM races. Try doing that in a DTM race (let alone in a German football stadium) today. :lol: Still, I'd like to see much more passionate fans at an auto racing, with pyro and airhorns and that stuff.
MIA SAN MIA!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Ferrarist wrote: Still, I'd like to see much more passionate fans at an auto racing, with pyro and airhorns and that stuff.

That'd be MotoGP then ...

I think this pretty much fulfills all your criteria : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wchrIbsVTHk

Sometimes they even let the winning riders light the fire crackers.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
ibsey wrote:Also I found it hilarious when he was rubbing Massa shoulders when talking to him :lol:. If I read Massa body language correctly, it seemed to suggest he wasn't enjoying it.

Thats kinda of what I mean, in that I found it funny just how awkward it was & how awkward it seemed to make Massa feel.

But then I always find awkward / cringe moments very funny indeed which is why I love comedy shows like The Office with Ricky Gervais, because it is full of them. Or indeed after 4 years, I've now grown to love EJ's many cringe / awkward moments when he presents on the BBC (despite the nonsense he usually speaks or the childish 'horseplay' he has with DC).
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I would actually vote Vergne for ROTR.

During the first safety car period he crashed in to the back of Glock forcing both of them to pit as the safety car pit in.
This ruined Glock's race and meant Marrussia lost 10th place.

(Yes I know I am a Glock and Marrussia fan boy!)
Message me on Discord.
flyerguy

Post by flyerguy »

ibsey wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Thats kinda of what I mean, in that I found it funny just how awkward it was & how awkward it seemed to make Massa feel.

But then I always find awkward / cringe moments very funny indeed which is why I love comedy shows like The Office with Ricky Gervais, because it is full of them. Or indeed after 4 years, I've now grown to love EJ's many cringe / awkward moments when he presents on the BBC (despite the nonsense he usually speaks or the childish 'horseplay' he has with DC).

This is very common in Brazil. To tell the truth, it is almost more of a rule to have this kind of physical contact than an exception. I highly doubt that Massa was uncomfortable because of that. I've seen him in this kind of situations many times...

Ferrarist wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Seconded. Brazilian F1 Ultras are total scum. The worst thing is they know f*** all about Formula One but still turn up and insult anyone and everyone. These are the same people who three/four years ago thought Massa was the best racing driver in the world and insulted Hamilton whenever they could. They don't give a damn about the sport unless a Brazilian driver is winning everything.

At least they have emotions for this sport, and aren't just "customers". Like the ultra movement in football. Hell, Opel fans were using pyro in the mid-90's DTM races. Try doing that in a DTM race (let alone in a German football stadium) today. :lol: Still, I'd like to see much more passionate fans at an auto racing, with pyro and airhorns and that stuff.

No, no. I am totally ok with people having different ways to show their support, being it more passionate or more controlled. I was not talking about more vocal, passionate, laud ways to cheer. I was talking about the people who went to the race just to harass Alonso. People who simply do not care about motorsport, but just want to see Brazilians winning.
To use a example that was given, one of the most repeated conspiracy theory by this people is that Massa still is the better driver on F1, but Ferrari keeps him as a second driver, in a inferior car, because Ferrari is sponsored by Santander. If I had a nickel for every time I heard this...
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

Shadaza wrote:I would actually vote Vergne for ROTR.

During the first safety car period he crashed in to the back of Glock forcing both of them to pit as the safety car pit in.

Excellent type of fan boy to be!
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Enoch what is you're verdict on this :?:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

roblomas52 wrote:Enoch what is you're verdict on this :?:

Bloody hell, the race was only yesterday! :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

roblomas52 wrote:Enoch what is you're verdict on this :?:

The race was barely a day ago man. Patience is the key. And I highly doubt he's seen the race yet anyway considering what ungodly hour of the morning the race is always at in Australia.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wizzie wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Enoch what is your verdict on this :?:

The race was barely a day ago man. Patience is the key. And I highly doubt he's seen the race yet anyway considering what ungodly hour of the morning the race is always at in Australia.

He makes FMecha appear to have the patience of a saint...

Fixed for grammar/spelling too...I'm SOOOOO OCD...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Enoch what is your verdict on this :?:

He makes FMecha appear to have the patience of a saint...

Fixed for grammar/spelling too...I'm SOOOOO OCD...

Now that's something I once thought of as unthinkable.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Priceless wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Thirded. Unfortunately that's the way it is down here... I think this forum has had enough of football/soccer content in threads but I can't describe it without this comparison - that's where this kind of bad culture comes from, and kostas22 summed it up spot on, and in situations like that I feel the same as flyerguy... ashamed to be Brazilian. :(

I can relate to this in a way because in the west ham vs tottenham premier league match yesterday the west ham fans were chanting anti-Semitic abuse at the tottenham fans four days after a tottenham fan was stabbed in an anti-Semitic attack before the Europa league game against lazio and the west ham fans were heard chanting "viva lazio can we stab you every week" making hissing noses and mentioning adolph hitlers name on occasions and many people do not realise that tottenham has one of the highest Jewish populations in the whole of London so as a result of all this I feel so ashamed to be a football fan in England :(
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
Priceless wrote:

I can relate to this in a way because in the west ham vs tottenham premier league match yesterday the west ham fans were chanting anti-Semitic abuse at the tottenham fans four days after a tottenham fan was stabbed in an anti-Semitic attack before the Europa league game against lazio and the west ham fans were heard chanting "viva lazio can we stab you every week" making hissing noses and mentioning adolph hitlers name on occasions and many people do not realise that tottenham has one of the highest Jewish populations in the whole of London so as a result of all this I feel so ashamed to be a football fan in England :(

Rob, send me your address? I'm sending you a new keyboard...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
Rob, send me your address? I'm sending you a new keyboard...

No need to mate because I did it all on my I pod :)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Now this is my kind of forum member! :lol:

Seriously though, I was really gutted they lost 10th overall yesterday, but having read Graeme Lowdon's comments since, he's made it clear the team weren't relying heavily on the extra money, which was something I was fearing, and that not getting it would leave them coming up short for next year's budget. What is clear is that Pat Fry is certainly having an effect on the team, and I hope the improvements they've shown over 2012 having never even tested the car before Australia continue on into 2013.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

AndreaModa wrote:

Seriously though, I was really gutted they lost 10th overall yesterday, but having read Graeme Lowdon's comments since, he's made it clear the team weren't relying heavily on the extra money, which was something I was fearing, and that not getting it would leave them coming up short for next year's budget. What is clear is that Pat Fry is certainly having an effect on the team, and I hope the improvements they've shown over 2012 having never even tested the car before Australia continue on into 2013.

Do you mean Pat Symonds? Anyways, hopefully they'll actually show up for one of the pre-season tests for once! :) I have high hopes for Marussia in the future :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AndreaModa wrote:

I reckon they should make the midfield next year because of pat fry
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

razta

Post by razta »

roblomas52 wrote:

And Loic Bigois - look him up aka Mr.Midfield - he was Merc's demise with dodgy aero packages
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

razta wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

And Loic Bigois - look him up aka Mr.Midfield - he was Merc's demise with dodgy aero packages

Bigois is at Ferrari now, as head of aero...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

ROTR to Senna for me - stuck his nose in where it was always going to get chopped off, and the inevitable happened. I think he probably signed the death warrant for his F1 career in that incident.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
mario

Post by mario »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Do you mean Pat Symonds? Anyways, hopefully they'll actually show up for one of the pre-season tests for once! :) I have high hopes for Marussia in the future :)

He must mean Pat Symonds because Pat Fry was at McLaren and now works for Ferrari...

If Marussia are in a more financially stable situation and can make it into 2013, I agree that they should show improved performance over 2012 - considering that they did not have KERS and are having to work with the Cosworth engine (which isn't terrible, but does reportedly suffer from higher losses in performance with mileage and has higher fuel consumption compared to the Renault engine Caterham work with), their improvement over the season was pretty respectable.

Warren Hughes wrote:ROTR to Senna for me - stuck his nose in where it was always going to get chopped off, and the inevitable happened. I think he probably signed the death warrant for his F1 career in that incident.

I think that, to a certain extent, his career might have already been over long before this race - Williams made it pretty clear over the course of the season that they were more interested in Bottas than Bruno, and it seems that most of the other teams lined up their replacements fairly early on where possible.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Warren Hughes wrote:ROTR to Senna for me - stuck his nose in where it was always going to get chopped off, and the inevitable happened. I think he probably signed the death warrant for his F1 career in that incident.

Why not nominate Williams as a team? Maldonado also crashed out. Now to think of it, didn't they get RotR in 2006 here for crashing into each other at Turn 1?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

My vote goes to Di Resta. Hulkenberg, in his last race for Force India, qualifies 6th, fights for the win and leads 6 times as many laps as Force India had ever led. Meanwhile, Di Resta (still looking for a contract and in need of a good result) out qualified, plays bumper cars in the midfield, spins, and bins it with a lap left.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Can we decide on this now? :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Haha sorry everyone, yes I did mean Pat Symonds - must have been a long day! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
razta wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Bigois is at Ferrari now, as head of aero...

Ah, the mind which brought the AP03, PS02, Honda RA108, and utterly brilliant Mercedes for the past two years, is going to develop Ferrari's challenger next year.
Please McLaren, dont screw up this time, otherwise we might as well give RBR (and Vettel for that matter) the 2013 title now.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Pastor Maldonado span off and hit a wall somewhere on lap 2. That is why he retired from the race, I don't think this was caught on camera at all.
Message me on Discord.