1980 Alternate F1 - Season final at Suzuka up

Archive for the three above subforums
Ferrarist

Re: 1980 Virtual F1 season

Post by Ferrarist »

Even though Penske would have preferred the teams boycotting the South African GP...we'll still compete at South Africa, because our sponsors paid us to compete at all races of the season. The absence of some top teams also gives us the chance to get a bit more attention by the international F1 audience.
MIA SAN MIA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

McLaren would like to point out that we find the notion that teams are competing at South Africa under the guise of sponsor commitments completely laughable, as no such contracts have been signed at this stage whatsoever. If the best excuse you can come up with is to hide behind non-existent contracts, then you might as well be saying you fully support apartheid in our view.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
andrew

Post by andrew »

At the end of the day I am paying my driver to race, not to sit out because of a country's political problems, ATS do not want to bring the sport into termoil over politics.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Autosport wrote:South African Grand Prix in question

Following the boycott threats from several teams, and the statements of many others that they were considering to join, FISA has announced a meeting with the teams to discuss the future of the Grand Prix.

"We realise that many teams are opposed to going to South Africa, and we can no longer ignore this", a FISA spokesperson was quoted. "But many teams fear disadvantages, also financial ones, by not turning up in Kyalami. That is a difficult situation, and we have come to the conclusion that a meeting between the heads of the teams is a more appropriate way to handle the problem."

The meeting will take place today, 10 PM CET, in the chat.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Since Andretti was already in signed, Ensign wil change it's drivers did

1) Carlos Reutemann / 350K / 2 Year
2) Alan Jones / 300K / 2 Year
3) Tom Sneva / 300K / 1 Year
4) Jean-Pierre Jarier / 250K / 1 Year
5) Nigel Mansell / 250K / 1 Year
6) Teo Fabi / 250K / 1 Year
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Okay, I am now taking over the shambling Renault team. This can only go well :D

Firstly I will post our sponsors.

Tier 1:
Manufacter support (Renault)

Tier 2:
Agip
Elf
Villinger
HB Bewaking Alarmsystemen
Castrol
Fina
Longines
Candy

Tier 3:
Castrol
Magneti Marelli
Norev
Valvoline
Hotel Freeport
Heuer
ABMTM
personal
arexons
Heyco
Europcar
Ferodo

We have not decided whether or not to boycott the South Africa GP yet, so we will stay neutral in the matter for now.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Eastside, westside, genocide, we race everywhere!

And that's my official statement.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pi314159 wrote:
Autosport wrote:South African Grand Prix in question

Following the boycott threats from several teams, and the statements of many others that they were considering to join, FISA has announced a meeting with the teams to discuss the future of the Grand Prix.

"We realise that many teams are opposed to going to South Africa, and we can no longer ignore this", a FISA spokesperson was quoted. "But many teams fear disadvantages, also financial ones, by not turning up in Kyalami. That is a difficult situation, and we have come to the conclusion that a meeting between the heads of the teams is a more appropriate way to handle the problem."

The meeting will take place today, 10 PM CET, in the chat.

Since I can't access the chat be it in my username or a pre made one Wolf vote to not race in South Africa
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Motor Racing Times wrote:Penske still in favour of the South African GP despite reports of cancellation

Even though nothing official has been confirmed so far, FISA has decided to cancel the South African Grand Prix at Kyalami and stage a replacement round somewhere else. Reports also say that this wasn't an unanimous decision. One of the leading figures in favour of a race at Kyalami is Roger Penske. "I think we could help to change things down there, if we actually reach out to the country." he says. He also feels that FISA had a responsibility towards South African race fans that had already ordered tickets for this race. "In the end, a boycott would only hurt the fans in this country and not the government. In fact, the South African government can now claim a victim role in this matter."

However, Penske, along with other teams, is reported to plan a boycott of the replacement race. Instead, they plan to race in South Africa after all, in what might be a non-championship race. But there are rumours about a potential prize of 1.000.000 USD for the winner of this race. But so far, nothing has been confirmed by either side.

OoC: I'm just roleplaying, so relax!
MIA SAN MIA!
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

FISA wrote:Following a meeting with most of the 22 team bosses, we have made a decision.

As a majority of the teams were in favour of replacing the South African GP with a different venue, so we have decided to replace it with the Australian GP.

Currently, we're looking for suitable tracks to hold the race. Mount Panorama circuit at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise are considered , as well as Phillip Island.

pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

McLaren are wholly opposed to a race at Mount Panorama, as we feel the circuit is too dangerous for Formula 1 cars. Phillip Island and Surfer's Paradise would both be acceptable in our view, however.
Everything's great.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wolf would like the race to be held at Mount Panorama as we deal that it would push the cars and drivers to the limit.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Renault will vote to have a race at Phillip Island should we go to Australia, which is still our preferred country to replace the South Africa GP.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Due to Mugello being outvoted as a potential replacement for Kylami, Ferrari would like to express their preference for a race at Phillip Island.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Mount Panorama is dangerous and Phillip Island is easier. Surtees vote Phillip Island.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

It probably comes as no surprise that March is still supporting Surfers Paradise International Raceway for the Australian race, being the team who introduced it in the FISA meeting in the first place.

To clarify, it is not a street circuit, but a permanent racing venue:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Equipe Ligier may have missed the meeting, but we demand that the people who nominated both Mount Panorama Raceway and Phillip Island take a good hard look at themselves. Mount Panorama is clearly too dangerous for Formula One to race at, especially when there are so many exposed rock faces around the track, while Phillip Island is in no state to hold any sort of racing event whatsoever.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
UncreativeUsername37

Two miles long? Yeah, we're staying with Phillip Island.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Two miles long? Yeah, we're staying with Phillip Island.

Phillip Island has been closed for two years, and has reached such a decrepit state that it would take several years to rebuild and resurface the venue to get anywhere near F1 standard. And the equipment needed for the job has no way of getting there because the bridge connecting Phillip Island to the mainland doesn't have the capacity to carry heavy equipment.

*OoC: Shout-out to history :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well, then Kauhsen will boycot the Australian GP, as a reaction to other teams boycotting the South-African GP. We hope all sensible teams join us!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Wizzie wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Two miles long? Yeah, we're staying with Phillip Island.

Phillip Island has been closed for two years, and has reached such a decrepit state that it would take several years to rebuild and resurface the venue to get anywhere near F1 standard. And the equipment needed for the job has no way of getting there because the bridge connecting Phillip Island to the mainland doesn't have the capacity to carry heavy equipment.

*OoC: Shout-out to history :P

I missed your earlier post. But with our options unsafe, short, and Korea, I still pick Korea.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Boro would like to suggest Sandown as the host of the Australian Grand Prix.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Samster wrote:Boro would like to suggest Sandown as the host of the Australian Grand Prix.

If the first 3 choices for a F1 venue at Australia fall through, we will support a race at either Sandown, Hidden Valley or Oran Park.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Samster wrote:Boro would like to suggest Sandown as the host of the Australian Grand Prix.

If the first 3 choices for a F1 venue at Australia fall through, we will support a race at either Sandown, Hidden Valley or Oran Park.

Hidden Valley didn't open until 1986, and was pretty much unused until 1998.
As for the other two, if Surfers is too short, Sandown's not any longer, and Oran Park is way too short.

Since I don't have a team, I'm just gonna quietly suggest Albert Park as an alternative, since it was first used in 1953 :P
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Alright, Renault has decided to post it's driver bids for the 1st round:

Alain Prost: 270K for 2 years
Alan Jones: 400K for 1 year
Rene Arnoux: 280K for 1 year
Chris Amon: 350K for 1 year
Jean-Pierre Jabouille: 175K for 1 year
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Given the shambles surrounding the track selection for the newly-instated Australian Grand Prix, Ferrari would once more like to nominate Mugello, seeing as its actually in a state to hold a Grand Prix.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
pycku

Post by pycku »

First of all Arrows were for racing in South Africa as politics and sport should not be mixed and it is not our job to do so. However, we will conform with FISA decision whatever it is. And here come our suggestions:

We do not like the idea of Australian GP. Arrows would prefer African (maybe somewhere in North Africa, Marroco?) GP or if negative - GP of Europe at England (Silverstone or Donnington), Spain or Portugal. As most of the teams are European it makes no sense to travel the distance to Australia. Alternatively, given the place in the provisional calendar of South African GP, a Mexican GP would also make sense and this is our final proposal.

Finally, if there is some sponsorship issues, Cosworth may partner with the chosen track to save the race.

Also I would suggest more time for discussion (2-3 days) in the thread as yesterday I was out with friends and it was not possible for me to participate. I do not believe the chatroom is the ideal place for discussions as I am not quite sure there would be quorum to make decisions whatsoever.
To finish first, first you have to finish!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wolf are interested in having a European GP at either Silverstone or Mugello.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

BMW agree with are fellow Grandi Constructori Ferrari, and would like a European GP at the fast, fun Mugello circuit. But we will of course race anywhere.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

We at Williams think that a European GP would be the best way to go.
We just voted for Australia because we didn't want to give this italians another race....
We think that a race at Silverstone or Donington would be the best option. Both tracks had some changes in recent years(Silverstone in 75, Donington in 77).
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Osella votes to have a Euro GP at Mugello. At least this state of the art facility is prepared to host an F1 level Grand Prix, unlike all the other suggestions tabled so far.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Since it is clear that there is no suitable venue for an Australian GP at present, McLaren feel the best solution is to simply hold the race at Mugello.
Everything's great.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ol' 'Two Wheels' McClenaghan wrote:Oi tell ya this, we had none o' this rubbish when Oi was racing. It was about nothin' but the droiver and the car workin' in perfect harmony, with none o' that political nonsense. The only distraction Oi ever faced on a race weekend was decidin' which girl to take home afterwards...sometimes, Oi couldn't, so Oi took 'em both wimme!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Autosport wrote:Autralian GP not safe yet - Mugello would be ready

After the controversy surrounding the South African GP, resulting in the cancellation of the event, the 1980 Formula 1 calendar still remains to be confirmed. The initial plans were to replace the South African round with an Australian GP.

But this could prove more difficult than expected, as Formula 1 has problems to find a suitable track. While Mount Panorama Circuit at Bathurst is deemed to be too unsafe for Formula 1, and Phillip Island won't be able to complete the needed modernisations before the end of 1980, Formula 1 is running out of options.

That could allow Mugello into the 1980 Formula 1 season. The circuit, opened in 1974, would be able to hold the race, and many teams have expressed their support for Mugello.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

pycku wrote:Also I would suggest more time for discussion (2-3 days) in the thread as yesterday I was out with friends and it was not possible for me to participate. I do not believe the chatroom is the ideal place for discussions as I am not quite sure there would be quorum to make decisions whatsoever.

18 of the 22 team managers were present yesterday (Kauhsen, Ligier, Boro and you were absent), an 12 managers supported the decision to move the Grand Prix. So there was an absolute majority for that decision.

Personally, I think it was a good idea, but should I again do such a teams' meeting, I'll announce it earlier, so people who can't or don't want to participate can vote via forum post or PM.
UncreativeUsername37

Well, if no one else is ready for us, then Surtees will support Mugello.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Shadow, as we previously mentioned in the meeting, would unequivocally support holding the race at Mugello.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

After giving it some thought, Penske begrudgingly accepts the decision by FISA and will race wherever the replacement round is held.
MIA SAN MIA!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wolf are going to race at Mugello.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Tier 1 sponsor signing

Marlboro
1-40 McLaren
41-65 Ligier
66-80 Arrows
81-90 Williams
91-99 Ferrari
100 Wolf

7, McLaren

Elf
1-35 Ligier
36-60 Arrows
61-75 Williams
76-85 Lotus
86-92 Tyrrell
93-96 Rebaque
97-100 March

64, Williams

Martini
1-28 Brabham
29-52 Arrows
53-71 Shadow
72-87 Ferrari
88-93 Tyrrell
94-99 Ensign
100 Wolf

5, Brabham

JPS
1-30 Ligier
31-50 Arrows
51-65 Shadow
66-80 Lotus
81-95 Ferrari
96-99 Surtees
100 Wolf

62, Shadow!

Gitanes
1-45 Ligier
46-80 Arrows
81-92 Penske
93-97 March
98-99 Wolf
100 Boro
29! Ligier!

Parmalat
1-33 Ferrari
34-55 Penske
56-75 Tyrrell
76-92 Ensign
93-98 Osella
99-100 Boro
89, Ensign

Saudia
1-45 Ferrari
46-90 Penske
91-100 Surtees
15, Ferrari

Lavazza
1-60 Penske
61-80 Surtees
81-100 Osell
95!

Essex
1-35 Lotus
36-65 Penske
66-80 Surtees
81-90 Rebaque
91-100 Project 4

18, Lotus

Olympus
1-50 March
51-100 Project 4
85, Project 4

Warsteiner
1-75 Tyrrell
76-87 Wolf
88-95 Kauhsen
96-100 Boro

99, Boro

Unipart
1-45 Rebaque
46-85 March
86-100 Kauhsen
52, March

Copersucar take Rebaque

FINA:
1-70 Kauhsen
71-100 ATS
9, Kauhsen

Beta Utensili take Surtees

Skol and Denim remain available for now. There will be a second round of sponsor signing, please wait until then before expressing interest in those two.