The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Fetzie

Re: The 2014 Spanish Grand Prix Thread

Post by Fetzie »

Horner says Vettel lost 2nd gear.
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:Horner says Vettel lost 2nd gear.

It seems from Vettel's comments over the radio that he might have lost more than just that, as it seems that he might have lost third gear as well - and was lucky that he wasn't collected by Hamilton who nearly crashed into the back of him. It sounds as if Vettel's luck is going from bad to worse this weekend - first the wiring loom failure, and now a possible transmission failure that might earn him a penalty to boot.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Yeah, the BBC pitlane reporter said that he heard a significant drop in revs from Vettel's car as it passed him in the pitlane before the stall protection kicked in.

Hamilton takes pole by 0.17 seconds

Hamilton 1:25.232
Rosberg + 0.168
Ricciardo + 1.053
Bottas + 1.4
Grosjean + 1.728
Raikonnen + 1.872
Alonso + 1.908
Button + 2.103
Massa + 2.17
Vettel no time set
Last edited by Fetzie on 10 May 2014, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Grosjean in 5th, take a bow son!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

So much for the Lotus being a shite car. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The Lotus is improving, though definetelly helped by Grosjean ability. 5th is probably an amazing result for them, especially after what happened to Pastor.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Mr Bottas take a bigger bow- well done great 4th!!

As for Vettel- Make sure you and Maldonado don't have an accident on lap 1.

Good Work Lewis and great Result Daniel Riccardo!!!

As for Romain-Thrashing the Pastor!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:Grosjean in 5th, take a bow son!

Well deserved. Pastor who?
Just For One Day...
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

CoopsII wrote:

Well deserved. Pastor who?

The guy who crashed. AGAIN.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:He got the rear wheel on the astroturf and instead of backing off the speed he hung in there trying to correct it that way. Didn't get the car under control and shoved the nose and the front-right suspension into the wall.

Rosberg goes 2 seconds clear, and he was lifting a lot.

Hamilton backed out of his first flying lap because he fluffed T4/5.

Hamilton complaining on team radio that the car is a pig to drive.

It says something about the effect of the cut in downforce that cars could quite easily run over that strip of astroturf in previous years and not notice it, whereas this year it is causing all sorts of issues - not to mention how many drivers are struggling to keep the car under control through the final corner when in the past they'd comfortably be on full throttle.

I tell you what, Grosjean's 5th place and Bottas's 4th place are both surprising and going to give Ferrari plenty to think about given that they seem to have expected that they'd be taking those positions (especially with Vettel out of the equation due to mechanical issues).

Even if both of those drivers slip back a few places, it is plausible that they could both manage a respectable enough points finish - which would be a shot in the arm for both teams right now, particularly for Lotus. OK, the Lotus looks like a real handful to drive, with Brundle commenting that the car was behaving in such a different way between the braking/initial turn in phase and the behaviour of the car through the middle of the corner and into the exit, but if either driver can hold on it looks like a quick car.

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Not bad Max. Good effort Marcus

That was the bigger surprise for me - firstly, that Chilton should have had such an advantage (over 0.5s) given that, by his own admission, he was a little out of sorts in practise (a few errors were beginning to creep into Bianchi's laps), and even more so to see Ericsson beat Kobayashi, even if it was by a much smaller margin (about 0.06s).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Post by girry »

You've gotta say Enstone team is really really capable, that turnaround has been miraclous. Makes me wonder what if they actually had money behind them...
when you're dead people start listening
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

mario wrote:It says something about the effect of the cut in downforce that cars could quite easily run over that strip of astroturf in previous years and not notice it, whereas this year it is causing all sorts of issues - not to mention how many drivers are struggling to keep the car under control through the final corner when in the past they'd comfortably be on full throttle.

The lower downforce coupled with increased torque really isn't helping.

You can see it in Vettel's driving style as he likes to be on the throttle as soon as he passes the apex - the last few years this worked due to clever engine maps and the blown diffusers keeping the rear of the car firmly attached to the track. He doesn't have the downforce to be able to drive like he did last year and Daniel Ricciardo, who didn't have the experience driving a blown-diffuser non-turbo Red Bull Racing car, hasn't really had to re-learn how to drive and has thus had the track advantage over his veteran team-mate.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

As far as that non-paying Renault team is concerned: maybe Red Bull have decided to literally give up on this season and will start producing their own engines for 2015. :lol:
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Its a shame Maldonado crashing in his first lap. He was in top 10 in all practice sessions and was the driver who did more laps in the entire weekend.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I've been singing the praises of the potential of the Lotus car for a little while; Nick Chester was VERY optimistic about the wind tunnel numbers, and finally they seem to be back where they belong. I'm so happy to see Romain in 5th, I'm hoping he can do something good tomorrow.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Dj_bereta wrote:Its a shame Maldonado crashing in his first lap. He was in top 10 in all practice sessions and was the driver who did more laps in the entire weekend.

He'll be worth keeping an eye on in the race; he's certainly a combative driver and the Lotus is showing some very encouraging pace at the moment. Having said that, #ThisIsRomainsRace :P first time since last summer that I've felt compelled to use that :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Vettel has a 5-place grid drop for changing the gearbox. He'll start 15th.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Its a shame Maldonado crashing in his first lap. He was in top 10 in all practice sessions and was the driver who did more laps in the entire weekend.

He'll be worth keeping an eye on in the race; he's certainly a combative driver and the Lotus is showing some very encouraging pace at the moment. Having said that, #ThisIsRomainsRace :P first time since last summer that I've felt compelled to use that :P

If I were driving that race, I'd be keeping an eye on Maldonado for a completely different reason, but that's just me being cynical.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Grosjean has better race pace than Bottas, Ricciardo's car fails, then Hamilton and Rosberg have a wheel-to-wheel battle that ends in disaster... I can see it....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Cynicism? On the F1 Rejects forum? Perish the thought.

Okay, sarcasm aside, cynicism is good. Especially when applied to Maldonado. Yes he'll fight and probably gain a fair few places, but one has to worry if it's only a matter of time before he makes that over ambitious move and ruins his race.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Grosjean has better race pace than Bottas, Ricciardo's car fails, then Hamilton and Rosberg have a wheel-to-wheel battle that ends in disaster... I can see it....

Let's face it, that's about the only way that Mercedes will drop any points this season.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

It was great so see Lotus back in the top 10 today! :) Shame Maldonado had to bin it...

No doubt Vettel will get a penalty, what a miserable weekend he's having! :O

Mercedes 1-2 tomorrow no doubt, but I expect it to be Hamilton winning ... (not sure if that is a good or bad thing though!)

Forgive me if I'm reading too much into this, but after quali, it looked like Hamilton and Rosberg aren't speaking anymore - Rosberg went to put his arm around Hamilton for the usual top 3 pose, but Hamilton flicked it away quite aggressively! I noticed something like this also happened in Bahrain.... I can see this turning very nasty, very quickly :?
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Grosjean has better race pace than Bottas, Ricciardo's car fails, then Hamilton and Rosberg have a wheel-to-wheel battle that ends in disaster... I can see it....

Let's face it, that's about the only way that Mercedes will drop any points this season.

On current performance levels, I agree that is the most likely reason for Mercedes losing points - the only other situation would be if, as their engine racks up higher mileage towards the end of the season, we see a repeat of some of the issues that crept in towards the end of the pre-season testing in Bahrain.

JJMonty wrote:It was great so see Lotus back in the top 10 today! :) Shame Maldonado had to bin it...

No doubt Vettel will get a penalty, what a miserable weekend he's having! :O

Mercedes 1-2 tomorrow no doubt, but I expect it to be Hamilton winning ... (not sure if that is a good or bad thing though!)

Forgive me if I'm reading too much into this, but after quali, it looked like Hamilton and Rosberg aren't speaking anymore - Rosberg went to put his arm around Hamilton for the usual top 3 pose, but Hamilton flicked it away quite aggressively! I noticed something like this also happened in Bahrain.... I can see this turning very nasty, very quickly :?

It's been confirmed that Vettel will have a five place penalty as Red Bull have stated that there is a mechanical issue with his gearbox - as you say, with the low top speed of the RB10 and the difficulties with passing around most of the corners of this circuit, it looks like it'll be a very long afternoon for Vettel from 15th on the grid.

As for the Hamilton-Rosberg post session behaviour, in Bahrain that would be understandable after such a hard fought race where both drivers must have been on an extreme adrenaline high and would therefore be naturally combative out of the car as well. As for qualifying today, it is worth noting that Rosberg spent much of the build up to this weekend talking about how he was hoping to stop Hamilton's momentum and extend his lead in the WDC - I can imagine that would have got a little under Hamilton's skin and might explain his slightly brusque response.

As to whether it will turn nasty or not, I think that will depend on how much of a head of steam Hamilton can build up in the next few races. If he leaves Rosberg in his wake in the next few events, I think that things might be tense but manageable as he would have a clear upper hand. Similarly, if Rosberg can turn his form around and opens up a gap to Hamilton, again I think that the situation would be difficult but manageable.

If, on the other hand, the situation remains tight and the two drivers are more evenly balanced, then I think things might become more acrimonious as it would then become more important to eke out smaller advantages elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but right now I think that Hamilton has such clear momentum behind him that it will be difficult for Rosberg to match him, reducing the odds of a severe clash of personalities.

Fetzie wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:

If I were driving that race, I'd be keeping an eye on Maldonado for a completely different reason, but that's just me being cynical.

And so will all of the other drivers around him, no doubt - it's a shame since he does genuinely seem to have enough pace to run with the other major teams this weekend, but has frittered it away by overdriving. I'll be interested to see what Grosjean can do from his position though - I guess that his main aspiration would be to challenge Williams, McLaren and Ferrari for a top 8 finish, with the top 6 being on the upper end of feasibility.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dinizintheoven wrote:And Max shows his talent! See, Jocke, I told you he was unleashing his inner Viking!

Trust me, I have never once doubted the existence of Viking DNA inside Max Chilton's magnificent body.
But however great he may perform in Q, I was referring to the races. The era of finishes is over.
Now is the time for DNFs. And it breaks my heart to say that :cry:
-*:-
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I wasn't able to watch qualifying because of a track meet. Typical fare from the Mercs, but it's great to see Bottas in fourth! Maybe a chance at a Williams podium tomorrow?
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tristan1117 wrote:I wasn't able to watch qualifying because of a track meet.
That's no excuse. I was at Brands Hatch today for a Mini Festival and I watched qualifying - 2 TVs, one showing Sky, the other showing BBC, and I had BBC R5 Live in my ear. Plus one of the racers in his racesuit was following the TV coverage as well...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:
That's no excuse. I was at Brands Hatch today for a Mini Festival and I watched qualifying - 2 TVs, one showing Sky, the other showing BBC, and I had BBC R5 Live in my ear. Plus one of the racers in his racesuit was following the TV coverage as well...

To add to that I had to go to work during qualifying but I put it on record to caught up with Q2 and Q3
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:

Surprised you wasn't on uni placement, baker. :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
mario

Post by mario »

As an aside, it now looks as if we've got a new instruction from Whiting over the speed of the formation lap.

Whiting has reportedly asked the drivers to maintain a more consistent speed as they come round to the grid amid complaints from some of the drivers towards the back of the grid that the formation laps are too slow, with one or two drivers even claiming that they have had to stop on track in order to avoid passing or colliding with another car. If drivers continue to behave in what he considers an erratic manner, he has threatened to start applying penalties for erratic driving. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113885
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

That was some top rejectful driving from Maldolan there, you could tell he was going to have a major accident ever since he entered turn 2 :lol:
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Maldonado's accident was pathetic, why he didn't just lift, run over the astro in a straightish line and on the extra run-off I have no idea.

Also why were driver being allowed to go all four wheels off at turn 9? I didn't see one lap where a driver stayed in the white line there. I know it is an old topic, but either enforce the penalties or go home stewards!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

OsellaFA1L wrote:That was some top rejectful driving from Maldolan there, you could tell he was going to have a major accident ever since he was born
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1A8zM-8h54

And again, the way he tells the team is pure reject gold. :lol: Nobody is even close to take RotY from him at the moment!
Better get yourself together Pastor. :D

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Maldonado's 2014 radio transmissions

Shanghai FP2:
I crash. Sorry.

Catalunya Q1:
I lost the car.

Monte Carlo FP1:
I'm in the water.

Montreal FP3:
I'm in the water again. Sorry.

Hockenheim Q2:
I'm in the forest.

Monza race lap 21:
I'm in Curva Sud. Where are the others?

Suzuka FP1:
I'm in the ferris wheel. Sorry.

Sochi FP1:
I'm in Red Square. Sorry.

Austin FP1:
I crash into a cowboy. What do I do?

Sao Paulo FP2:
I think I crash. I think turn 5. Sorry.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

JJMonty wrote:Plausible or sheer arrogance?

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/157553.html

Yes, there was a problem with the tyres. The issue was who was driving the car they were attached to.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Is 17th Chilton's best grid slot?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Please Romain, win win win! Image
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Maldonado already under investigation for a collision? That took longer than expected.

I just realized he won this race two years ago.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Oh look, Maldonado under investigation for hitting Ericsson (no question about whether he did it or not) after only 5 laps.

Jesus, 7 laps in and the Mercs are past the pit garages before anybody else is on the home straight.

5 second Stop/Go for Maldonado.