2014 British GP RotR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Row Man Gross-Gene

Re: 2014 British GP RotR

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Cynon wrote:Kimi Raikkonen -- Just retire at the end of this year, you useless muppet.
The Predictability of F1 -- I did not watch this race live. I checked the front page of Autosport and then asked the awesome people in IRC if anything happened before I decided to watch it. Can't wait for 2015.

I'm not sure what you're looking for from a race dude, but this one was pretty good. Not great, not spectacular (except for kimi's crash), but still worth the watch.

As for my nominations for ROTR, I'll split it between Esteban and the trophies. Those trophies were pathetic, we're lucky they didn't fall apart when the drivers raised them over their heads and put out someone's eye.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:Anyway, on the topic of whether or not Raikkonen should be nominated for RotR, what I will say is that the size of the crash or his general performance this season didn't really factor into the nomination for me. What did was the fact that he attempted to rejoin the raging midfield battle at more or less full speed, at a point where doing such was inevitably going to cause some form of incident. He wasn't wrong to rejoin there, because the kerb ended just before then and going over it in the direction he would have, would have risked a puncture, since I think those kerbs are raised on that side. His error was trying to rejoin at racing speeds - but it was a fundamental error nonetheless, and not one you would expect from one of the most experienced drivers in Formula 1 today. As Will Buxton has pointed out, drivers conduct track walks to be aware what the track is like in these situations - obviously I don't know whether or not Kimi did this and looked at this part of the track, but the point is that if he didn't, then he should have, and if he did, then he should've known better.

What I would also like those that are defending Kimi to consider is this: If it was Pastor Maldonado who had attempted to rejoin the track there in that manner, and not Kimi Raikkonen, would you be so quick to come to his defence? Because let's be frank here - that crash could have been far worse than it was - even as it was, a tyre almost hit Max Chilton on the head.

In the end, in spite of Kimi's poor season, I don't expect him to suddenly make such a poor call of judgement, given his years of experience. For me, it outweighed Esteban Gutierrez being, well, Esteban Gutierrez, Force India just having a poor day in general, the radio whining from Alonso and Vettel, which I maintain was completely hilarious, and Rosberg's gearbox ruining the race for the lead, but closing up the championship fight in the bargain.

The question over what course of action Kimi should have taken in that scenario is a difficult one - having committed to try to pass one of the Sauber's around the outside of that corner, Kimi was admittedly placing himself into a scenario where any slight mistake would put him into the run off area at high speed (given that the drivers would normally be on full throttle relatively early in that corner).

Once he ends up running wide into that run off area, the natural instinct of any racing driver would probably have been to stay on full throttle to minimise the loss of time and to rejoin the track at racing speed. We have seen in the past how, at places like La Source in Belgium, drivers would take to the tarmac apron at the outside of the track at full throttle if they were forced wide at the start of a race - it took the threat of heavy penalties from Whiting after drivers were able to overtake drivers who started normally and did stay within the track limit before drivers stopped using the run off at that corner in that manner.

Now, it is fair to say that, in some ways, to have swept back onto the track at full throttle in that manner is potentially asking for trouble - even if he had not struck that kerb, to pull back onto the track at full racing speed does run the risk of sweeping into the side of a driver who does not see you coming back onto the track.

However, we have also seen other experienced drivers run at full speed over a run off area even though there is the potential for an accident - only last year in Abu Dhabi, we saw Alonso running off the track and striking a kerb with such force that it threw his car into the air and set off the FIA's medical alarm (which is triggered when a driver is subjected to an impact greater than 25G) whilst fighting with Vergne, an impact severe enough that he was sent to the medical centre for precautionary checks.

Overall, I would take something of a middle line on the whole affair - whilst Kimi's actions were potentially asking for trouble, at the same time I suspect that many other drivers would have instinctively done a similar thing and potentially might have been caught out in a similar manner. It does look as if Kimi was indeed trying to rejoin the track between the end of the astroturf strip on the edge of the corner and the end of the tarmac run off area, but misjudged the move slightly and ended up running across the grass instead.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

The day a driver manages to cause an accident that red flags the race all on their lonesome without anyone else to blame and it's not considered reject worthy is the day we've really lost our way. Coming up with excuses on behalf of obscenely rich men who drive in circles for a living is taking the whole absurd sport of F1 worryingly seriously. Taking issue with the nominations of anonymous people in an obscure corner of the internet for some goofy "award" is a hell of a way of letting Autosport-forum atmosphere in.
Live and let live.
Making up the numbers
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

LukeB wrote:The day a driver manages to cause an accident that red flags the race all on their lonesome without anyone else to blame and it's not considered reject worthy is the day we've really lost our way. Coming up with excuses on behalf of obscenely rich men who drive in circles for a living is taking the whole absurd sport of F1 worryingly seriously. Taking issue with the nominations of anonymous people in an obscure corner of the internet for some goofy "award" is a hell of a way of letting Autosport-forum atmosphere in.
Live and let live.

You're smart and I like you.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

wsrgo wrote:Everytime I have a problem with Salamander, it's Ataxia to the rescue!!!

Anyway, expected little else from you, clearly it's people like you who give the forum a bad name. Here I am, just giving a rallying call, and there comes Ataxia with a scathing reply. Is your jaw loose or something, that you can't keep quiet for long? There will be a lot of people who will disagree with me, very few will bring non-contextual things into question.

If you have an issue, please discuss it with me via PM.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Mexicola wrote:
LukeB wrote:The day a driver manages to cause an accident that red flags the race all on their lonesome without anyone else to blame and it's not considered reject worthy is the day we've really lost our way. Coming up with excuses on behalf of obscenely rich men who drive in circles for a living is taking the whole absurd sport of F1 worryingly seriously. Taking issue with the nominations of anonymous people in an obscure corner of the internet for some goofy "award" is a hell of a way of letting Autosport-forum atmosphere in.
Live and let live.

You're smart and I like you.

I now owe you a beer, sir.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

LukeB wrote:Taking issue with the nominations of anonymous people in an obscure corner of the internet for some goofy "award" is a hell of a way of letting Autosport-forum atmosphere in.
Live and let live.
Agreed. Everyone needs to chill out. If you see a dumb post, move on. :)
Trump 2016
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Raikkonen.

I said last race that Raikkonen has been long overdue an award. I was at Silverstone this weekend (my first F1 race attendance!) and saw the difference between him and Alonso firsthand. Not a single problem for Alonso (that I saw) all weekend, whereas looking from the Village Raikkonen made endless lockups and problems from the start of the weekend to the end.

In a qualifying where Alonso gets caught out and qualifies 19th, Raikkonen qualifies behind him in 20th. In a race where Alonso dices up the field and fights with the guy who started on the front row, Raikkonen takes himself and Massa out on the first lap.

We saw him lockup a lot on the Friday, but I can honestly say I barely saw him on Saturday and Sunday. He was barely ever there.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:but I can honestly say I barely saw him on Saturday and Sunday. He was barely ever there.

:lol:
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Meatwad wrote:I came up with another nomination: the stewards, or rather the rulebook. I don't understand why they had to penalize Chilton. He didn't even get an advantage from pitting, as everyone was allowed to make changes to their cars on the grid.

They didn't penalise him on performance grounds. They penalised him because he was coming down pit lane well after the red was shown, and at a point where there were dozens of mechanics making their way from the pit lane to the grid. Thus, it becomes a safety issue rather than a performance issue, and as a result the penalty is entirely justifiable.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
KL-racer

Post by KL-racer »

Tough choice between Kimi or Esteban on this one, but I will go with Esteban Guiterrez. Whether it's payback from Bahrain remains questionable to me. However, this I will say for sure, I will not be shocked one bit if he gets sacked sooner than later by Van Der Garde. If Sauber loses 10th in the Constructor's championship to Caterham, then it would be a big shock!
Now posted to PMMF . . . F1 management 2011!

After yet another long intermission . . . I finally posted round 8. What will happen in the second half? Stay Tuned
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Im stuck for my award - part of me thinks Raikkonnen for reasons everybody else here has already said. Bot the other part of me wants to give it to the safety car restart. Was there any need for it on a dry track and no oil etc? If the barriers were still needing repaired, the start should have been delayed further.

Alternatively, if the new red flag rules state all restarts must be under safety car, I nominate myself for ROTY for not knowing the rules
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Collieafc wrote:Alternatively, if the new red flag rules state all restarts must be under safety car, I nominate myself for ROTY for not knowing the rules

Yeah, they changed the rule a few years ago, apparently to improve the 'flow' of the races.

Oh the irony... :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Wizzie wrote:
Collieafc wrote:Alternatively, if the new red flag rules state all restarts must be under safety car, I nominate myself for ROTY for not knowing the rules

Yeah, they changed the rule a few years ago, apparently to improve the 'flow' of the races.

Oh the irony... :lol:

Now combine this with next year's "standing restarts after safety car" rule and it will make so much sense. :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Official decision time ...

Well, it really was a choice out of two, but I've decided to go with Esteban Gutierrez. It was the sheer clumsiness of his collision with Maldonado, plus the "revenge" factor (whether intentional or - more likely - completely accidental) for what happened in Bahrain, plus bonus points for his crash in Q2 as well.

Raikkonen was a worthy candidate for his massive crash on the first lap, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm not sure that he would have foreseen the dramatic impact of going over the grass verge to re-enter the track. And if he had actually injured himself then I'm not sure anyone would be nominating him. There's no doubt he's struggling massively this year, but in a mitigating factor I've just seen the video of his lawnmower exploits on Sky and his interview with Brundle, and he's refreshingly candid and no-bull about the fact that he's finding it tough, and that compromises he makes for one corner don't work for the next corner. Happy to lay off him this time.

I know the site has been pretty dormant over the last month, but normal service will be resumed after the World Cup concludes this weekend!