The 2015 Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by Nessafox »

James1978 wrote:I think the Force India livery looks like a tribute to Checo. It's fundamentally a cross between the liveries of the 3 teams he's driven for (Sauber, McLaren, FI). There's definite elements of recent Saubers there!

Yeah, like half of the sponsors... :P
This livery looks very KTM-ish, but that's not a bad thing. Not at all.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

One thing I do like about the West Force India is that th front wing is naked carbon. More teams should run that, at least as an accent.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Finally, the first good Force India livery. I never liked the green and orange of previous seasons
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Force India is not silver! It's a good livery, but like others have said, it looks like a McLaren. But if McLaren do red and white, it'll all be fine, I guess... I'll get used to it after two races either way anyway.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

go_Rubens wrote:One last thing to say is the FIA still messed up the regs. Their goal was to remove the anteater. Well, they ended up creating tiny ones. How hard could it be to make a rule where the maximum angle between the nose tip and the sides connecting the nose with the main plane of the wing is say, 45 degrees, for example, or mandate that the nose could be say, narrower, instead of always insisting the nose before the tip be 300mm wide? I already figured out before the pics of the incomplete Marussia that teams would find a way to incorporate an anteater and benefit. Great job FIA.

True. It's another case of FIA dicking around with the rules.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

DanielPT wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:One last thing to say is the FIA still messed up the regs. Their goal was to remove the anteater. Well, they ended up creating tiny ones. How hard could it be to make a rule where the maximum angle between the nose tip and the sides connecting the nose with the main plane of the wing is say, 45 degrees, for example, or mandate that the nose could be say, narrower, instead of always insisting the nose before the tip be 300mm wide? I already figured out before the pics of the incomplete Marussia that teams would find a way to incorporate an anteater and benefit. Great job FIA.

True. It's another case of FIA dicking around with the rules.

Yes, they made a right balls of it.
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

DanielPT wrote:True. It's another case of FIA dicking around with the rules.

I see what you did there. ;)
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I wonder how McLaren feel about the Force India livery? Silver and black with orange highlights is a very specific combination of colours, and while the VJM08 and MP4-29 are different enough that they would hardly be mistaken for one another, the new livery on the VJM08 marks the biggest departure from Force India's orange-white-green theme since their burgundy and white test livery. Moreover, there is no apparent reason for the move to incorporate silver in the design - sure, it's stylish, but it's not associated with any of the team's existing sponsors, all of whom appear on the car in white or black rather than their own colours.

Ultimately, changes in the livery are Force India's perogative. If they go for black and silver with orange highlights and McLaren don't like it, that's McLaren's problem and there is very little that they can do about it. But given that we have never really had two teams competing with such similar liveries (except Red Bull and Toro Rosso, but they're owned by the same company, so we can overlook that), I can't help but wonder if Force India approached McLaren about their livery plans before committing to the new design.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
tBone

Post by tBone »

Captain Hammer wrote:we have never really had two teams competing with such similar liveries

1990 Life, Ferrari and Scuderia Italia liveries really look similar in my opinion.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote: Moreover, there is no apparent reason for the move to incorporate silver in the design - sure, it's stylish, but it's not associated with any of the team's existing sponsors, all of whom appear on the car in white or black rather than their own colours.

BUT it is associated with their engine supplier...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tBone wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:we have never really had two teams competing with such similar liveries

1990 Life, Ferrari and Scuderia Italia liveries really look similar in my opinion.

I always mistook the Dallara F189 for a Ferrari up until the day my father dismissed my nonsense in true tifosi fashion: " Don't be silly! A true Ferrari doesn't have any white other than the numbers". And it was true back then because other than a short stint in the 70s the Ferrari's had been all red. In my defence I was 6.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

DanielPT wrote:
tBone wrote:

I always mistook the Dallara F189 for a Ferrari up until the day my father dismissed my nonsense in true tifosi fashion: " Don't be silly! A true Ferrari doesn't have any white other than the numbers". And it was true back then because other than a short stint in the 70s the Ferrari's had been all red. In my defence I was 6.

The Ferrari F93A went for the "Scuderia Italia" look.
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Williams isn't much of a departure livery wise from last year, so its not a surprise. Not a fan of Force India's though. Black and gray/white/silver (I don't know what colour it is but its dull) with just the tiny strip of orange which only serves to emphasise the lack of colour. Would have looked a whole lot better is it was all black (ala the original Sauber) with an orange strand, which would have at least been clearer. Better still, stick with the colours that the team is intrinsically related to (even if they have no realistic intention to ever run the team from India); green, white and orange.

Glad to see that the appendages have gotten smaller, although last year the noses didn't bother me too much once I'd got used to them so I'm not raging that they are still there. It does make a bit of a fool out of the FIA though as they were trying to eliminate them completely.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Waris

Post by Waris »

I just saw the Force India livery. Ouuaaahhh, silver?? Strange, but I like it! The livery is a bit reminiscent of Orange Arrows. It's too bad they removed the green altogether though. I think they could've done with just a tiny lick of green paint alongside the orange stripe. Glad they kept it in the overalls though.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Kind of reminds me of the Midland/Spyker livery at the end of 2006.

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

See, it's Force India paying tribute to their earlier history. I now expect the 2016 car to be yellow, the 2017 car to be an appalling mish-mash of random colours, and the 2018 car to be green and capable of snapping anorak-hood elastic at a hundred paces.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Am I the only one who wishes Force India would go back to their 2012 livery? It was striking, colourful, not obnoxious and separate from their peers. I think it was 2014 when they started their black-silver style with bits of orange in it, and I think it's ugly as all hell.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Rob Dylan wrote:Am I the only one who wishes Force India would go back to their 2012 livery? It was striking, colourful, not obnoxious and separate from their peers. I think it was 2014 when they started their black-silver style with bits of orange in it, and I think it's ugly as all hell.

This car had black and orange and it's amazing

The problem is on livery designers in Force India, and obviously not on the colour scheme

Ah, and i don't consider the 2014 FI livery ugly, it's okay, not amazing, but not ugly
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Sauber haven't given a launch date, but rumours abound that they're already in trouble, with the sponsor packages from Ericsson and Nasr being used to pay off debts and development of the C34 stalling when they ran out of materials.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sauber haven't given a launch date, but rumours abound that they're already in trouble, with the sponsor packages from Ericsson and Nasr being used to pay off debts and development of the C34 stalling when they ran out of materials.

There is always someone struggling of for cash in F1. Now it is their turn unfortunately. I hope the former plucky midfielders make it. And lets not forget that Enstone is not swimming in wealth either.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

If the rumors of Sauber's financial problems as posted by the Captain are true, then I really can't see a turnaround for them unless the car is good to great. Even then, money's still likely to be a lingering issue.

The only problem now is without Marussia amd Caterham, the other midfield teams are going to have more money problems, as likely the majority of FOM prize money will end up with the teams that need it the least. There will always be a team in last place, but I have to wonder if the departure of Marussia and Caterham have played a hand in the potential downfall of one of Lotus or Sauber. I can't help but think FOM won't deal with the money adequately.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:This car had black and orange and it's amazing
(img)

The problem is on livery designers in Force India, and obviously not on the colour scheme

Ah, and i don't consider the 2014 FI livery ugly, it's okay, not amazing, but not ugly

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess, and this beholder ain't impressed :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Simtek wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Grosjean just posted on his Facebook that the Lotus launch will be on February 1.

I can't seem to find the Facebook post in question.

Sorry for the late reply!
https://www.facebook.com/RomainGrosjean ... 2954587526

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Bobby Doorknobs

Shizuka wrote:
Simtek wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Grosjean just posted on his Facebook that the Lotus launch will be on February 1.

I can't seem to find the Facebook post in question.

Sorry for the late reply!

Looks like I was following the wrong Facebook page! :P
#FreeGonzo
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Or I was :P We'll see more about it anyway in the next days.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sauber haven't given a launch date, but rumours abound that they're already in trouble, with the sponsor packages from Ericsson and Nasr being used to pay off debts and development of the C34 stalling when they ran out of materials.

James Allen noted that NEC, which was Sauber's largest backer, is now on the Force McLaren.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Wallio wrote:James Allen noted that NEC, which was Sauber's largest backer, is now on the Force McLaren.

So did everybody else. But it's known that Felipe Nasr brings sponsorship from Banco do Brasil, and it's believed that between him and Ericsson, the team has a €40 million sponsor package this year.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Wallio wrote:James Allen noted that NEC, which was Sauber's largest backer, is now on the Force McLaren.

So did everybody else. But it's known that Felipe Nasr brings sponsorship from Banco do Brasil, and it's believed that between him and Ericsson, the team has a €40 million sponsor package this year.

Honestly, that doesn't sound like enough to get them much development this year. Do they have any other revenue streams?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

Honestly, that doesn't sound like enough to get them much development this year. Do they have any other revenue streams?

There's coming 10th last year, that should get them a few cents.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

It's also worth remembering that Sauber have lost the Telcel and Telmex sponsorship from Gutierrez (and there seems to have been another minor sponsor, Interproteccion, which was associated with Gutierrez too), which will partially offset any gains they might have made from Ericsson and Nasr.

At the moment, Sauber have precious few sponsors - the only sponsors listed on their website are Banco do Brasil, Oerlikon, Emil Frey and Certina - and it would appear that the other three sponsors are probably fairly minor in comparison to Banco do Brasil.

Another problem is the fact that, having fallen down to 10th place in the WCC in 2014, any payments they'd receive from FOM would be reduced compared to what they've had in the past. Sauber were reportedly pushing FOM in an attempt to get them to hand over the money that would have gone to Marussia for 9th in the WCC over to them instead, arguing that, as Marussia have effectively ceased to exist, Sauber is now promoted to their position in the WCC - however, it seems that the other teams have argued that instead Marussia's money should be split between all the teams, and it looks like FOM are going with them.

Now, with the Concorde Agreement being private it is hard to tell how much that has set Sauber back by, but it is plausible that they have lost something in the order of $15 million in revenue from FOM from sliding back in the WCC.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew

Post by andrew »

I imagine sauber will launch at the first test like most other cars. Force india will use the 2014 car at the first test as their 2015 machine won't be ready. Remember what happened to lotus when they did this last year?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

andrew wrote:I imagine sauber will launch at the first test like most other cars. Force india will use the 2014 car at the first test as their 2015 machine won't be ready. Remember what happened to lotus when they did this last year?

Yes, but that was after a massive rule change. Force India are actually running some 2015-spec pieces, whereas Lotus had to get used to a new engine formula and an entirely new car.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
andrew wrote:I imagine sauber will launch at the first test like most other cars. Force india will use the 2014 car at the first test as their 2015 machine won't be ready. Remember what happened to lotus when they did this last year?

Yes, but that was after a massive rule change. Force India are actually running some 2015-spec pieces, whereas Lotus had to get used to a new engine formula and an entirely new car.

And it did not help that the Renault power plant was also the one with the greatest number of issues in pre-season testing - the Renault powered teams did the least mileage of all teams in pre-season testing last year, and Lotus's late start meant that they were the worst off of all teams last year. Even if Lotus had not postponed their testing, they would probably have still struggled to make much headway or racked up many more laps given those problems.

By comparison, the rule changes for 2015 are more of a subtle evolution, so Force India can still gain representative information about the 2015 spec tyres and engines from their 2014 car - equally, the first test at Jerez is probably the one they can most afford to skip given that the circuit and ambient conditions are the least representative test venue.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Sorry for the late reply!

Despite the word "Official" in the title, it is anything but. The same page purported a fan designed livery was the official livery for 2015.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:
Simtek wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Sorry for the late reply!

Despite the word "Official" in the title, it is anything but. The same page purported a fan designed livery was the official livery for 2015.

Yes, upon further investigation it appears that the "official" page lacks the little tick that usually accompanies official pages. The page that I already follow does have that tick and does not have that little piece of (what is false, for all we know) information, which I failed to previously notice (then again I scarcely use Facebook). It doesn't matter anyway, I removed it after seeing all the launch dates that were published on the official F1 website, which I can be sure is definitely official.
#FreeGonzo
tBone

Post by tBone »

New Ferrari, new confusing name: SF15-T. Nevertheless, I hope it will be a nice looking, fast car. Ferrari just belongs at the top.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bobby Doorknobs

tBone wrote:New Ferrari, new confusing name: SF15-T. Nevertheless, I hope it will be a nice looking, fast car. Ferrari just belongs at the top.

List updated with the new name. Typical Ferrari inconsistency. :P
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tBone wrote:New Ferrari, new confusing name: SF15-T. Nevertheless, I hope it will be a nice looking, fast car. Ferrari just belongs at the top.

I see that the S mean Scuderia. It means slow too. Foresight?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:

The F could mean fast. This car doesn't know what it is!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tBone

Post by tBone »

watka wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

The F could mean fast. This car doesn't know what it is!

Or does SF mean Sebastian Fettel? Italian chaotic management, remember?
YOUR
LOGO

Here