The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
nome66

Re: The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

Post by nome66 »

Phoenix wrote:Why so if this thread can do the job? This way we don't clutter the forum up too much.

ehem....... *biiiiggg breath in*

"Whoever started this one could change the title in march"
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:Why so if this thread can do the job? This way we don't clutter the forum up too much.

All right. I just mentioned it because of the tragic events surrounding the 2011 season...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

DanielPT wrote:So, now we should consider all that have been posted before (including the 2011 season) as a build up for the 2012 one? I think it would have been preferable to create a new thread. But that's just me.

I agree, but I'm semi-retired from this board. So it's your decision, guys and gals.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Alon Day is the first Israeli in Indy Lighrs, but reading his website shows not only arrogance, but ignorance -- he does not know about Chanoch Nissany's efforts! :evil:

http://www.alonday.com

Read driver profile for Engrish. :D
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

he does not know about Chanoch Nissany's efforts!

nether does IndyCar.com
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izo ... s-history/

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Cynon wrote:http://www.alonday.com

Read driver profile for Engrish. :D

From the same moment Alon began to practice and to compete in competitions and different championships in Israel and swiped more then 60 trophies and titles in the country.

He didn't earn them? He stole them? How shocking! :o :shock: :twisted:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

nome66 wrote:nether does IndyCar.com
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izo ... s-history/

Well, they say that Day is the first Isrealian to drive in America, which is true since Nissanymania never swept across the Atlantic. Now, Day's website writer is just arrogant.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

amily wrote:Hie.. Thanks for the information... :)

HOW did you manage to misspell a word as simple as 'hi', you damned spambot! :lol:

Spambots slightly interested in IndyCar, whatever next...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Alon Day and Armaan Ebrahim a close 1st and 2nd for the Indy Lights Title! while the rest are embarrassingly behind. :P
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
nome66

Post by nome66 »

does anyone have any idea of what the new street circuit in Qingdao, China will look like?

jpm

Post by jpm »

"Alon continued and practice on car of Formula Renault in the tracks in Hungary and even competed in several races national and raked a high places and goblets."

Excellent... In all seriousness, Tristan Vautier or Oli Webb should win the Lights title, unless Stefan Wilson stays on, in which case it could be close. Vautier is SERIOUSLY good - he'll be in the big cars next year without a doubt.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I'm so subscribing to IndyCars YT channel. I hope they will post full ICL races like they did in 2010 so I can watch Day's and Ebrahim's exploits :D
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
nome66

Post by nome66 »

wait, How old was Fittipaldi when he first started racing for CART?

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hmm, lets see, I believe he started in CART around 1984, Fittipaldi's 65 now, the difference between 2012 and 1984 is 28, 65-28 equals 37.

That's just my calculations.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Hmm, lets see, I believe he started in CART around 1984, Fittipaldi's 65 now, the difference between 2012 and 1984 is 28, 65-28 equals 37.

That's just my calculations.

And he retired in 1996 after that smash at Michigan if my memory is correct so he was still racing competitively even when approaching 50.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wizzie wrote:he retired in 1996 after that smash at Michigan if my memory is correct so he was still racing competitively even when approaching 50.

Yeah, but it was only in Indycars :lol:

Hey, what about Mario Andretti? Wasnt he 55 in 1994 when he retired? And Montoya? Wasnt he nearly 115 Kg when he moved on?

Im really hoping Rubens gets an Indycar drive. And not from any silly snobby attitude of him being a guaranteed winner because hes an F1 winner, just because I think he'll be great in it! Reading some more it appears hes already snubbed racing on the ovals but will possibly race on the road and street circuits.
Just For One Day...
Verde

Post by Verde »

How many years old were A J Foyt and Al Unser Senior when both attempted to start their last Indy 500?

A J was around 55, wasn't? And Unser Sr, if my memory doesn't betray me, won his last Indy 500 in 1987 when he was turning 50.

I hope Barrichello makes at least some appearances in the road circuits. I bought a ticket to watch the São Paulo round and that would be awesome to have an opportunity to at least try to chat with him. Would try to ask some things about his Il Barone Rampante days, heh.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

A.J. Foyt was 57 I think when he ran his last Indy, and if memory serves me right it was a race where experience counted more than anything else and he brought the car home while the rest of the field was busy selfdestructing!

Foyt was entered for the Indy 500 in 1993, but he retired before qualifying after he realized that he needed to be a better team owner after Robby Gordon hit the wall in qualifying.

Big Al was also in his 50s when he retired.

CoopsII wrote:
Wizzie wrote:he retired in 1996 after that smash at Michigan if my memory is correct so he was still racing competitively even when approaching 50.

Yeah, but it was only in Indycars :lol:

Hey, what about Mario Andretti? Wasnt he 55 in 1994 when he retired?

Mario was just starting to become uncompetitive in 1994, but I wonder how much of that was him being distracted by his whole retirement tour and how much of that was wanting to get away from Nigel Mansell. Despite losing his superiority in the late 80s, he was still competitive on a regular basis.

Emmo seriously lost his competitive edge in 1995, and his 1996 season was something of a disaster as well. I don't think he would have stuck around after 1997 at the longest. The competition in CART was always pretty stiff (until, well, 2003), and even if I really didn't like Emmo that much, he was one of the best drivers I've ever seen.

Barrichello in IndyCar would be fun, especially if he actually goes and runs the ovals. He certainly would give Sebastien Bourdais a run for his money in the Most Amusing Whiner category.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Verde wrote:I hope Barrichello makes at least some appearances in the road circuits. I bought a ticket to watch the São Paulo round and that would be awesome to have an opportunity to at least try to chat with him.

Rubens in an Indycar at Sao Paulo? After so many appalling Brazillian GPs for the man, surely some fate or destiny will come into play and put him on top of the podium. I can see it now.......
Just For One Day...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

oorrr Indy, like Jean Alesi is doing
Barrichello's schedule should be
Sao Palo,
Indy,
aaannnddd Baltimore.heh, i've always wanted to meet him

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

nome66

Post by nome66 »

If the Dallara breaks down, Race that chassis!!!

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

nome66 wrote:Race that chassis!!!

Fixed
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
nome66 wrote:Race that chassis!!!

Fixed

Yes please! And with a couple of races in Europe - Monza, Lausitz, Brands/Rockingham?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:[...]
Barrichello in IndyCar would be fun, especially if he actually goes and runs the ovals. He certainly would give Sebastien Bourdais a run for his money in the Most Amusing Whiner category.

I thought that his family were pushing him not to race on oval courses because they thought that it was too dangerous (Rubens mentioned that his wife was absolutely against the idea). He could well have a crack at a road course or two given that he seems pretty keen on open wheeled racing, and given that the prototype outfits in the WEC have been recruiting a number of former F1 drivers, maybe he could turn up there too?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
nome66

Post by nome66 »

if anything he should do the Indy500.

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

And we'll see how the DW12 Dallara chasis holds up.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The A.J. Foyt car.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Why do I think "Poor Man's USF1" when I see that? Must be spending too much time on my GP4 2009 mod :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

It looks a bit ridiculos
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Wizzie wrote:Why do I think "Poor Man's USF1" when I see that? Must be spending too much time on my GP4 2009 mod :|

The A.J. Foyt car has used basically the same colors for a long time now, and it looks like they actually bothered to change it up a bit. I don't think it's too bad to be honest...

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Cynon wrote:Image

The A.J. Foyt car.

Those winglets on the front wing, the long, sloping nose and the flared sidepods look completely different to any Indycar I've ever seen before. I know it's a brand new chassis, just didn't expect it to look like THAT!!

But yeah, the livery looks weird. Don't know why, but the first car I thought of when I saw that livery was the Danka sponsored Arrows from 1997, am I being weird?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I don't think it looks quite so weird now that it has a livery on it - could have been anyone's, really - rather than just the black test car.

What I'd like to know is, if this chassis turns out to be the miserable failure that all the watchers here are predicting, is there any provision in the rules for it to be modified - other than those bodykits that are going to be introduced? If that barn-door rear wing is supposed to be a quick fix for the serious flaws in the chassis, could there not be a series of tests with an Official Test Driver (in much the same way as Dan Wheldon was) charged solely with working with Dallara to iron out the problems, and next year the newly-renamed Dallara DW13 can take to the track? Or, as I suspect, a DW12B, because I'll bet the superstitious masses would rise up and forbid "DW13" as a name in case it brought bad luck or other such mumbo jumbo. It seems logical that the series organisers should not bury their heads in the sand and run the chassis completely unmodified for as long as the old, bulky car of last year was... but then, as has been the case with that bloke running the show who's taken so much stick here and whose name I didn't care to remember, as has also so often been the case with F1 - motorsport and logic don't seem to go hand in hand.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

nome66 wrote:DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

(If your wife lets you) ....

“I’d love to race at Indy,” he told JA on F1 last June, “But it’s the one thing my wife asked me not to do, because she thinks it’s dangerous. It’s the only thing she’s asked me not to do.”
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

madmark1974 wrote:“I’d love to race at Indy,” he told JA on F1 last June, “But it’s the one thing my wife asked me not to do, because she thinks it’s dangerous. It’s the only thing she’s asked me not to do.”

Ive been married a few year now so Id question that for a start :lol:

I did read that actually the Ovals may be back on the table, I think hes winning her round. Probably been giving her the Rubens-Love :oops:
Just For One Day...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Come oooonnnnn Mrs. Barrichello just the one oval pleeeaaasssseeeee.
.....anyways, i think that some of these cars look really good with the liveries put on them, TBH.
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izo ... t-gallery/

The Chip Ganassi cars, other than their flagship Target Team, look more or less like they are on the same team which is good and saves confusion a bit.
One of the best things i heard last year in Baltimore was my dad saying "Is that the Force India car you talked about?"(charlie Kimball's car) and he also thought the ABC-Foyt car was on the same team as Rahal's Service Central car.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow Helio's car looks nice! At least from the side anyway! ;)

Always enjoyed red/yellow/white liveries, the colours just seem to work so well.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_