Larrouse F1 - Reject team by legal standards?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Popi_Larrauri

Larrouse F1 - Reject team by legal standards?

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Adding to the threads (astonoshingly made, btw) of Andrea Moda and Forti, i'll add some material, even if still quiet raw.

It's devoted to Larrouse & Calmels F1 and, more importantly to criminal/illegal aspects within the team.

1) According to wikipedia

Larrousse Formula One was a motorsports racing team founded in 1987 by Didier Calmels and former racer Gérard Larrousse, originally under the name Larrousse & Calmels. It was based in Antony, in the southern suburbs of Paris. It was renamed Larrousse after the departure of Calmels for legal reasons. The team competed in Formula One from 1987 to 1994 before succumbing to financial problems, scoring a best finish of third at the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix during this time.

The subject here is Didier Calmels killing his wife (spring 1989) and being then sentenced to jail for 3 years. She was having an affair with another man.

However, Larrouse marched on without his partner.

But there's more, not ever told here in F1rejects and may have it own merit and had taken place in 1990 (end of the season):

Of greater concern was the FIA considering taking away Larrousse's points because of an alleged "false declaration" about the design of the chassis. It transpired the team had made an honest mistake by registering the car as manufactured by themselves, when in fact it was designed and built by Lola in England. Although the team officially lost their points from 1990, the team kept the travel benefits and prize money associated with their championship finish and did not have to take part in pre-qualifying.

If it only adds to the notion of jails, bars, and court sentences it's anecdotic, I know, but first race after being released for Gachot was for Larrouse.

But, the cherry on top of the cake happened in 1992

In September 1992 Venturi sold its shareholding to a group called Comstock, headed by German Rainer Walldorf. Walldorf, real name Klaus Walz, turned out to be wanted by the police of several European countries in connection with four murders. After escaping from a raid on his house in France through judicious use of a hand grenade, he was killed during a nine-hour gun battle with police in a German hotel.

Now, the footnote reference links us to this, http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00336.html, which has it's huge interest in itself but refers to the subjetcs (Kill-your-wife-gate & Kalutz-gate) around 75% of the article. I read it 7 years ago and I'm extremely happy that still stands on the web (it dates from 1999). It should be (or could be) updated with crash gate, and, probably, with Mosley's-gate affair with 5 sadomas.. (oops, sorry, family forum) being one of them wife to an spy. It's title its, no less, "Formula 1 and Crime".

Only references to Klaus Walz on the internet seems to be linked to a musician and this specific subject. So, if someone from germany can bring more info, it will be welcomed.

I'll leave you the article and expect you enjoy it drool the same way I did while reading it.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Waris

Re: Larrouse F1 - Reject team by legal standards?

Post by Waris »

Wasn't Klaus Walz also involved in that shady Forti buyout, or am I mixing up names now?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I already knew Calmels killing his wife, but that other affairs were unknown. Thanks for unravelling them!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Oh dear, that is rejectful in the extreme. Larrousse never did have many fans anyway.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Forgive me for asking without knowing the full circumstances, but how can you get away with just 3 years in prison for killing your wife?!
I'm all in favor of leniency, even for bad crimes. But this seems a bit much...
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Well it was the only team that managed twice to get one car through prequalifying, qualifying and into the points where as the other car failed. Special mention that one prequalifying session had both Andrea Moda's and one of them managed to prequalify and then qualify... :lol:

But they had a great 1990 season where they scored points quite regularly and Aguri Suzuki got that famous podium in Japan which probably was one of the reasons why he became so loved by the Japanese.

Plus this is the team that gave Hideki Noda and Toshio Suzuki rides, and they did have a lovely colour scheme. So I don't think you can call them a reject team.

<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
karsten

Post by karsten »

Of greater concern was the FIA considering taking away Larrousse's points because of an alleged "false declaration" about the design of the chassis. It transpired the team had made an honest mistake by registering the car as manufactured by themselves, when in fact it was designed and built by Lola in England. Although the team officially lost their points from 1990, the team kept the travel benefits and prize money associated with their championship finish and did not have to take part in pre-qualifying.

This ties perfectly with my topic with the Andrea Moda! It's exctly what they were complaining about when they got disqualified in the first races!
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

SuperAguri wrote:Well it was the only team that managed twice to get one car through prequalifying, qualifying and into the points where as the other car failed. Special mention that one prequalifying session had both Andrea Moda's and one of them managed to prequalify and then qualify... :lol:

Spain 1989, Monaco 1992?

Then I have to think teams which did it once:

Onyx Portugal 1989
Dallara San Marino 1991

Coincidentally JJ Lehto was involved in both of these. In Portugal he DNPQ'd and in San Marino he was on the podium.

anyone else?
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

The word "Legal" in the title of the thread really is a double entendre, this team sounds like how the mafia would run a F1 team. I half expect to see Joe Pesci from Goodfellas rise up and become Gerald Larrousse from what I've read so far.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

P_Friesacher wrote:Forgive me for asking without knowing the full circumstances, but how can you get away with just 3 years in prison for killing your wife?!

Look up OJ Simpson. I call it sexism + money in action.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:
P_Friesacher wrote:Forgive me for asking without knowing the full circumstances, but how can you get away with just 3 years in prison for killing your wife?!

No, that was Johnnie Cochran... the single greatest defense lawyer in American history.
rffp

Post by rffp »

I remember both incidents and indeed Gérard had a gift for choosing maniac partners for his team. He declared after the Klaus Walz shooting that he was shocked since he had the impression he was a decent person!
The team at first was making decent progress in F-1 after two challenging seasons in 1987 and 88. The 1989 Lamborgini-powered car was fast in the hands of Philippe Alliot, occasionally qualifying in the top-10 and even 6, but the reliability was awful. Thanks to that they were relegated to pre-qualifying and despite tough competition from Osella and Onyx, they most of the times made it to the grid with both cars.
The 1990 season saw the French team improve considerably their reliability and regularly finish in the points, which was a major embarassment to French national team, Ligier, which managed to end the season with 0 point.
But from there on, things started spiralling down. Larrousse's partner, Espo, was in financial troubles and pulled out of the team, but the worse was the maneuver made by Ligier to not only snatch the Lamborghini engines but also the financial aid given by FIA for the top-10 constructors. For those that regularly complained about Max, they should remember the farces promoted by Balestre, which one of them was that maneuver.
It was a shame, the team had potential, but Gerard Larrousse's awful partnerships wrecked the team.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Waris wrote:Wasn't Klaus Walz also involved in that shady Forti buyout, or am I mixing up names now?

I mentioned his name in the Forti thread as the buyer was also a dodgy German, so that's probably where you got it from. ;)
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Presumably, the killing was classified as a "crime of passion", so he would have been convicted of manslaughter, which is permissible in French law.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I don't think 'permissible' is the correct term. It's certainly considered mitigating, but it doesn't make it permissible.

Odd fact - up until the early 80s, in Portugal, being drunk while commiting murder was also considered mitigating.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Faustus wrote:I don't think 'permissible' is the correct term. It's certainly considered mitigating, but it doesn't make it permissible.

Odd fact - up until the early 80s, in Portugal, being drunk while commiting murder was also considered mitigating.

So what you're saying is, Carlos's parents had a shot at shooting him after shots without getting shot themselves?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Faustus wrote:I don't think 'permissible' is the correct term. It's certainly considered mitigating, but it doesn't make it permissible.

I thought you were dead :shock:

Last post was in September.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:

I was hopin(tun)g.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

shinji wrote:

Still alive and kicking!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Cynon wrote:

No, that was Johnnie Cochran... the single greatest defense lawyer in American history.

Jonnie Cochran probably used the "Chewbacca" defense. (Watch South Park if you don't know what I mean).
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/