Valencia testing/F1 testing on TV

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
homerbhoy

Valencia testing/F1 testing on TV

Post by homerbhoy »

Are there any links for the valencia testing ??
Last edited by CarlosFerreira on 01 Feb 2010, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to merge threads
CarlosFerreira

Valencia testing

Post by CarlosFerreira »

... and we're back, people! Twitter is a hive of activity, as the wheels start turning again. Finally, something to discuss.

(Man, that Sauber looks wicked!)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
homerbhoy

Re: Valencia testing

Post by homerbhoy »

looks like twitter is the only way to find out about the testing
mediocre

Re: Valencia testing/F1 testing on TV

Post by mediocre »

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

homerbhoy wrote:Are there any links for the valencia testing ??

You won't get footage of the testing. Believe me when I say it is very boring. It is the Friday practice session from hell. I don't know what you seem to think you'll see, but this is what you'll get:

The cars do a handful of installation laps, a shakedown to make sure everything is working. The Valencia lap record is 1min 8sec; the fastest times in the first hours were 1min 25sec. They then return to the pits and discuss everything with their engineers, and they work on setup. During this time, there is no activity on-track. When the cars do emerge, they are staggered to prevent them from encountering one another. If, for whatever reason, they do come across one another, the slower driver gets off the racing line and yields completely. They all drive around looking to set lap times that are around a pre-determined figure, and they never look to set quick times, especially in the early tests. It is like Le Mans: everything is slow and deliberate, not lightning-quick. And then, of course, there is sandbagging, with everyone driving slower than they really can to hide their true pace.

It is slow. It is long. It is boring. You are not going to see racing; you are just going to see a car driving around. I don't know why so many people to see it, because tesing really is a chore. There is absolutely no market for it to be broadcast.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:

You won't get footage of the testing. Believe me when I say it is very boring. It is the Friday practice session from hell. I don't know what you seem to think you'll see, but this is what you'll get:

The cars do a handful of installation laps, a shakedown to make sure everything is working. The Valencia lap record is 1min 8sec; the fastest times in the first hours were 1min 25sec. They then return to the pits and discuss everything with their engineers, and they work on setup. During this time, there is no activity on-track. When the cars do emerge, they are staggered to prevent them from encountering one another. If, for whatever reason, they do come across one another, the slower driver gets off the racing line and yields completely. They all drive around looking to set lap times that are around a pre-determined figure, and they never look to set quick times, especially in the early tests. It is like Le Mans: everything is slow and deliberate, not lightning-quick. And then, of course, there is sandbagging, with everyone driving slower than they really can to hide their true pace.

It is slow. It is long. It is boring. You are not going to see racing; you are just going to see a car driving around. I don't know why so many people to see it, because tesing really is a chore. There is absolutely no market for it to be broadcast.

Fair points, but none have watched any track action for months now - look how crazy some of the threads on this forum have been getting. And then there are the new cars with new/rehashed paintschemes and driver combos. The request was just to regain some sanity, methinks...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
madcat

Post by madcat »

Why does the Ferrari have a coat hanger stuck on top of it?
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

madcat wrote:Why does the Ferrari have a coat hanger stuck on top of it?

Maybe after seeing the other 2010 launches they are getting desperate.
Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

madcat wrote:Image

Looks like a couple of pitot tubes on top of that giant hanger. They're trying to measure the airflow up there. My guess is to see how far vertically air is disturbed by the front of a F1 car. Since it's right at the top of the airbox, where the car is highest, it probably makes the most sense that they measure right there. Not sure why they're trying to find that out though...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Looks like a bumper car from an amusement park to me.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

For testing no there is no live timing from Formula1.com and no live feeds. Also no live report on BBC, so dont keep hoping.
Only a few site like Motor21.com give live report but its in spanish.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

MORNING SESSION-
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1 F.Massa Ferrari 1:12.842 50
2 P.De la Rosa Sauber 1:13.247 39
3 N.Rosberg Mercedes 1:13.543 39
4 G.Paffett McLaren 1:13.846 53
5 R.Barrichello Williams 1.14.449 42
6 R.Kubica Renault 1:15.298 37
7 S.Buemi Toro Rosso 1:19.279 10
8 M.Schumacher Mercedes -.--.--- --

I think Ferrari is doing short stints!!
15:15 h Now yes, Felipe Massa into the pits after completing a stint of 11 laps with a best time of 1:12.842

Nico Rosberg has handed over to Michael Schumacher

FOLLOW TESTING HERE-
F1 DIRECT
MOTOR 21
MOTOR 21 LIVE
F1 TODAY

All sites are Spanish so for translation use YAHOO BABEL FISH OR GOOGLE TRANSLATOR
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Nin13 wrote:All sites are Spanish so for translation use YAHOO BABEL FISH OR GOOGLE TRANSLATOR

No! I was thinking about making a few quid doing as a translator! You've ruined me!

Now seriously, I'm surprised de la Rosa has managed 2nd. Maybe the Sauber turns out to be a fast car...
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

In the only head to head teammate shootout of the the testing session, Michael Schumacher beats Nico Rosberg by a little under 0.6 seconds. Let the mindgames begin!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Maybe Ferrari are Satanists?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I think the major point of interest is how much Renault and Toro Rosso suck.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
elho

Post by elho »

day 1 is over:

1. F. Massa Ferrari F10 1:12.574 102 pit
2. P. de la Rosa BMW Sauber C25 1:12.784 +0.210 74 pit
3. M. Schumacher Mercedes GP W01 1:12.947 +0.373 40 pit
4. N. Rosberg Mercedes GP W01 1:13.543 +0.969 39 pit
5. G. Paffett McLaren MP4-25 1:13.846 +1.272 86 pit
6. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:14.449 +1.875 75 pit
7. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR5 1:14.762 +2.188 18 pit
8. R. Kubica Renault R30 1:15.000 +2.426 69 pit
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Cynon wrote:I think the major point of interest is how much Renault and Toro Rosso suck.

Now now, Buemi only did 18 laps. Everyone else but Mercedes did over 50.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

The games at Mercedes are well and truly under way - Rosberg had the 'honour' of first crack with the W01, whilst Schumi had to put up with running the faster afternoon conditions...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

elho wrote:6. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:14.449 +1.875 75 pit

Reason to get worried?
mario

Post by mario »

LionZoo wrote:

Looks like a couple of pitot tubes on top of that giant hanger. They're trying to measure the airflow up there. My guess is to see how far vertically air is disturbed by the front of a F1 car. Since it's right at the top of the airbox, where the car is highest, it probably makes the most sense that they measure right there. Not sure why they're trying to find that out though...

You're on the money there - basically, they are trying to get a measure of the wake signature of the front wing and front wheels.

Klon wrote:
elho wrote:6. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:14.449 +1.875 75 pit

Reason to get worried?

No, especially this early on in the testing season - as Captain Hammer says, the teams are mainly interested in tyre wear rates and the behaviour of the 2010 tyres, comparing the track side data with the wind tunnel data, reliability checks and so forth. Besides, we don't know what the respective fuel loads or tyre compounds are (which will be the biggest variables), nor are the drivers going to really thrash the cars until they actually get to Bahrein - after all, having been out of the cockpit for a while, it isn't only the cars which need to dial themselves in to the track conditions.
The point at which you might get a better idea of what is to come would be at the final test session, when the teams and drivers will start to push harder, and may have brought along a small upgrade or two. The acid test, however, will be the first Friday practise session at Bahrein.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The reason Barrichello needs to be worried is that his car broke down in the first test session...not a good sign is it?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Henrique wrote:
Cynon wrote:I think the major point of interest is how much Renault and Toro Rosso suck.

Now now, Buemi only did 18 laps. Everyone else but Mercedes did over 50.

According to the above list, Mercedes DID do over 50 laps. Add Schummi and Rosberg's laps together. 39 + 40 > 50
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

From Autosport

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:12.574 102
2. de la Rosa BMW Sauber-Ferrari (B) 1:12.784 74
3. M.Schumacher Mercedes GP (B) 1:12.947 40
4. Rosberg Mercedes GP (B) 1:13.543 39
5. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:13.846 86
6. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth (B) 1:14.449 75
7. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:14.762 18
8. Kubica Renault (B) 1:15.000 69

All Timing Unofficial

Can we forget everything else for a moment, and focus on de la Rosa? Second with a bucketload of laps. When Kobayashi enters that car, it'll fly! Sauber is going to pull a Brawn, running with BMW money! Kobayashi for WDC! Let the hype well and truly begin! :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Can we forget everything else for a moment, and focus on de la Rosa? Second with a bucketload of laps. When Kobayashi enters that car, it'll fly! Sauber is going to pull a Brawn, running with BMW money! Kobayashi for WDC! Let the hype well and truly begin! :mrgreen:

Or they could be running light to attract sponsors... ;)
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

BMW Sauber-Ferrari (Lol cool name) are the shock at Valencia. Maybe De La Rosa isn't as slow as people thought. However its just testing but it does give the Sauber team good chance for Sponsorship.
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

noisebox wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Can we forget everything else for a moment, and focus on de la Rosa? Second with a bucketload of laps. When Kobayashi enters that car, it'll fly! Sauber is going to pull a Brawn, running with BMW money! Kobayashi for WDC! Let the hype well and truly begin! :mrgreen:

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................................. :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
MCard LOLA
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

noisebox wrote:

Well, yeah. But that's a bit too rational for my taste. Let's just go berserk, shall we? :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Ill start with the usual disclaimer that testing times are meaningless and one would be foolish to speculate about the season ahead based on one days testing times.

I will then proceed to speculate on the season ahead.

By far the most encouraging news is Felipe baby's FTD. Even if he's on fresh tyres, running on fumes during the best conditions of the day, it still proves his basic pace is still there. With a big crash like his, especially with head injuries, there was a real possibility that Massa could have "lost his touch". Like him or loathe him (i've come to like him in the last couple of years) nobody wants to see a driver's career ended in a crash.

De la Rosa's pace is a real surprise, but DLR has always been quite quick in testing and BMW have essentially "done a Honda" by starting development on the new car very early. The Sauber should be quite far along its development curve, which bodes well for KOBAYASHI! in the early season at least, lets hope they get some sponsorship on that car so they can have a good season and not fade away due to lack of development.

Schumie ahead of Rosberg in the first test wasn't what I expected, I expected Nico to be in front for the first part of testing at least. Again no one knows about fuel loads and the like, but perhaps the favouritism is already kicking in?

Williams, STR and Paffett are about where I would expect them to be, both Button and Hamilton should be quicker than Gary. I am a little disappointed by Kubica's lack of pace, hopefully thats just a conservative fuel load and test programme.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
mario

Post by mario »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Well, yeah. But that's a bit too rational for my taste. Let's just go berserk, shall we? :lol:

Rubens has stated pretty clearly that he thinks that some teams (i.e. Sauber) are running light to attract sponsors
Rubens Barrichello wrote:"If you take 10kg of fuel, or full tanks, you are talking about almost four seconds - so it is going to be dead easy for someone to get a sponsor and say that the car is faster in a way.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81191

Besides, the important thing to ask is when did de la Rosa set that time? Did he set it towards the end of a long run (say, 20 laps or so), or did it come during a short stint (e.g. 5-6 laps)? If the former, it'd be a positive sign (but, given testing has only started, not definite proof of the true potential of the car just yet), but if the latter, it would indicate Sauber was showboating to attract sponsors.

As for the performance of the Williams, it seems that they may have been doing long fuel runs to analyse the behaviour of the car over a race stint, with the engine turned down a notch or two - so, there probably is still quite a bit of untapped potential in their car. And in case anybody wants to know what caused Rubens to stop on track, it appears that a faulty throttle linkage is to blame.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Apparantly De La Rosa did his quickest lap on lap 4 of a 12 lap stint. If true, that's promising, but my facts might be badly wrong :oops:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

noisebox wrote:

Or they could be running light because sponsors' decals would weigh them down. ;)

Corrected.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

watka wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Or they could be running light because sponsors' decals would weigh them down. ;)

Corrected.

There. Not only does it sound better, it is respects the laws of physics. Possibly. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Day Two:

Code: Select all

Pos    Name                       Team               Time                 Laps
1    F. Massa                  Ferrari              01:11.722          124
2    K. Kobayashi        Sauber      01:12.056          96
3    L. Hamilton              McLaren           01:12.256          108
4    R. Kubica                 Renault             01:12.426          119
5    N. Rosberg               Mercedes          01:12.899          119
6    R. Barrichello           Williams            01:13.377          102
7    S. Buemi                  Toro Rosso        01:13.823         107

All I really have to say is KOBAYASHI
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

IdeFan wrote:All I really have to say is KOBAYASHI

Hell yeah!
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Kobayashi continues his streak of beating F1 world champions. After having already overtaken (=beaten) Button in Abu Dhabi and Schumacher in GP2, today he managed to beat Hamilton. Only Alonso to go, who will start testing tomorrow ;)
Last edited by P_Friesacher on 02 Feb 2010, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Henrique wrote:
IdeFan wrote:All I really have to say is KOBAYASHI

Hell yeah!

To be honest, I do believe Peter Sauber wouldn't do a Jordan to attract sponsors out of the blue. And that car looks wicked, which probably mean 0.3 secs per lap. Let's fan the flames, shall we?

Koooooooobayashi! :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

Kobayashi, the Flying Mullet looks ready for an exciting season :D

Agree, the Sauber looks pretty bad but aggressive at the same time
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

NOW I'm really eager for Sauber! The car seems to go pretty well-might be in contention for victories this season? :P