Reject Rumours

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Captain Hammer

Reject Rumours

Post by Captain Hammer »

After watching the telecast of the Bahrain Grand Prix last night, the Australian commentators asked Peter Windsor about the rumours circulating the Fernando Alonso would move to Ferrari next season. Despite Maranello saying they're not interested in him (if they've got their eye on anyone, it's Vettel; McLaren apparently have, too) and the only newspapers running the story are Spanish tabloids, it's obvious this is one of the rumours that just won't die. Windsor pretty convincingly put it to bed when he related Alonso's response of "Actually, I'd rather go to Brawn" (but then, I think everyone would like that), but I have the feeling that this is one of the rumours that just won't die.

So it got me thinking: what other hearsay, libel, slander and propganda has been floating up and down pit lane in recent years? Are there ones like Alonso-to-Ferrari that just won't die no matter how outlandish they are, or stories that are so obviously fabricated that they're shot down before the person telling it has even had time to finish?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Reject Rumours

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Does publicocrap count? Or does it have to be reject rumours
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Depends. If it's something like Force India saying the expect to be fighting for race wins this season, then no. If it's Force India starting rumours that they're talking with Lewis Hamilton simply to generate publicity and rope in some sponsors, then yes.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

There's always the rumour that Kimi is abut to quit F1.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

*post moved by me to Stoddart forum*
Last edited by noisebox on 27 Apr 2009, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Add Webber to Red Bull. Can't see him leaving: the man's good enough to push Vettel, and probably will help in Vettel's fight for the Championship (much to the dismay of the Forum admins, sorry guys!).

Brawn will only be able to get rid of Barrichello by fire-bombing him. The man is hell-bent of being WDC or whatever.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Add Webber to Red Bull. Can't see him leaving: the man's good enough to push Vettel, and probably will help in Vettel's fight for the Championship (much to the dismay of the Forum admins, sorry guys!).

My thinking there was that a) he might get thrashed by Vettel this year and b) Red Bull will be competitive all year so Kubica, Alonso, Raikkonen et al could be sniffing around there. You're probably right though, I think he'll be close enough to Vettel to be kept on, and they may think having two absolutely top line drivers could destabalise the team, though I can't see much phasing Vettel at the moment.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

noisebox wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Add Webber to Red Bull. Can't see him leaving: the man's good enough to push Vettel, and probably will help in Vettel's fight for the Championship (much to the dismay of the Forum admins, sorry guys!).

My thinking there was that a) he might get thrashed by Vettel this year and b) Red Bull will be competitive all year so Kubica, Alonso, Raikkonen et al could be sniffing around there. You're probably right though, I think he'll be close enough to Vettel to be kept on, and they may think having two absolutely top line drivers could destabalise the team, though I can't see much phasing Vettel at the moment.

Agreed on both accounts. However, a Championship winning team needs a first and a support driver, even if in terms of contract the support role is not decided beforehand. Webber will be Vettel's support driver, pushing him on and helping.

I will now run away before the mods start hurling rotten eggs and vegetables at me. :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noisebox wrote:OK, let's start them here!

Assuming Brawn win the WDC and WCC they will have a long list of drivers wanting to take at least one of their seats. Also lets assume that of the current drivers Fisi and Barrichello will quit at the end of the season. I also think Raikkonen, Kovaleinen, Trulli, Piquet, Heidfeld and Bourdais will be under severe pressure. Also there will disgruntled 'top' drivers from currently uncompetitive teams such as BMW, McLaren, Ferrari and Renault potentially looking for seats at Brawn, Red Bull and Toyota. Finally there could be up to three new teams on the grid to open up opportunities for new drivers.

All this adds up to probably the most lively silly season for years with the potential for the majority of drives to change hands. Currently I think the only certs for next year are:
Ferrari - Massa
McLaren - Hamilton (probably - World Council punnishment could change this)
Red Bull - Vettel
Brawn - Button

Let the speculation begin!

PS - mods, should this be in the Paul Stoddart forum??

Uh, this isn't for starting rumours or discussing the silly season or speculating on who goes where. This is about the rumours that pop up from time to time - Alonso to Ferrari beng the current flavour of the month - that we know to be so obviously bogus but people nonetheless swallow whole and ask for more.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:Uh, this isn't for starting rumours or discussing the silly season or speculating on who goes where. This is about the rumours that pop up from time to time - Alonso to Ferrari beng the current flavour of the month - that we know to be so obviously bogus but people nonetheless swallow whole and ask for more.

I'll start a thread in the Stoddart forum...
Last edited by noisebox on 27 Apr 2009, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

Captain H laying down da law once more - this be a safe town, no troublemakers wanted or tollerated.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

runningboots wrote:Captain H laying down da law once more - this be a safe town, no troublemakers wanted or tollerated.

Well, my namesake was played by Nathan Fillion, who was also Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly and Serenity, and he was literally a cowboy in space. And me, I'm being a cowboy in cyberspace.
noshpit

Post by noshpit »

why is this topic in this forum - there is one the same in the stoddart one called silly season.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

noshpit wrote:why is this topic in this forum - there is one the same in the stoddart one called silly season.

I took my post into the other forum as it was more relevant there
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noshpit wrote:why is this topic in this forum - there is one the same in the stoddart one called silly season.

No, no, no, you're missing the point: the silly season thread is about the driver transfer market for this season (but I think it's way too soon to start talking abot that just four races in). This thread is about rumours up and down pit lane that we know to be untrue; for example, that Alonso will go to Ferrari, or that Brawn will replace Barrichello with Senna by season's end.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Guys, guys, guys ...

Whether this thread is about silly-season rumours, or previously (and continuously) unsubstantiated rumours, neither is about "reverent and respectful discussion" of our beloved reject drivers and teams.

It's also not entirely pleasant when the discussion gets taken over by debate over what the discussion should actually be about! Bear in mind that not everyone is always on the same wavelength ...

For the moment I'm going to lock this thread. Kuwashima can unlock it if he wishes.