The team who never made it

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
nome66

Re: The team who never made it

Post by nome66 »

Dome looks like it had a skyward potential. if they had the sponsors to enter, they probably would've had a great run. the maybe could have kept Mugen in the game for a few extra years longer than Jordan could.

EDIT::
looking at this picture, it appears they tried before '96/'97. note the 1992, 1993, and 1994 cars that look up to FIA specs of those seasons.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

nome66 wrote:Dome looks like it had a skyward potential. if they had the sponsors to enter, they probably would've had a great run. the maybe could have kept Mugen in the game for a few extra years longer than Jordan could.

looking at this picture, it appears they tried before '96/'97. note the 1992, 1993, and 1994 cars that look up to FIA specs of those seasons.

I think they are F3000 cars
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

DOME wasn' a team from the then Japanese F3000 series (F-Nippon nowadays)?
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
nome66

Post by nome66 »

here's the test footage. sounds like the car got a great review!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFQngxGacZg

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This wrote:
nome66 wrote:Dome looks like it had a skyward potential. if they had the sponsors to enter, they probably would've had a great run. the maybe could have kept Mugen in the game for a few extra years longer than Jordan could.

I think they are F3000 cars

Yup, they were used in Formula Nippon, and the reason why they look so much like contemporary F1 cars is that the maybe wanted to test out different configurations for the upcoming F1 car.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

A future gpm2 mod for nuppiz maybe ?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

roblomas52 wrote:A future gpm2 mod for nuppiz maybe ?

Oddly enough, I was asked the same question via PM at GPM2World (which is working again, at least until the unevitable domain expiration)...

Thing is, we'd need 13 teams for a mod like that, and while you can easily find info about the more famous projects like Dome, DAMS or Honda's two separate 1990s attempts, most of the projects are only ever mentioned by a name. There might be a picture of a planned car and the name of the main person behind the project, but staff info etc. is almost always sorely lacking. And that's before we start thinking about attaining enough pictures for the menus and filling all 78 driver slots...
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

nome66 wrote:here's the test footage. sounds like the car got a great review!

The car doesn't look that bad either! Put it in a 1997 race and I reckon it would qualify.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

AdrianSutil wrote:

The car doesn't look that bad either! Put it in a 1997 race and I reckon it would qualify.

Wikipedia wrote:The team did, however, test at Suzuka shortly after the season-ending 1996 Japanese Grand Prix at the circuit. Hattori set a best time of 1:46.270, which was more than seven seconds slower than Jacques Villeneuve's pole position time of 1:38.909 set in the Williams FW18 chassis. It was also 0.3 seconds slower than the 107% cut-off mark for qualification, although journalist Sam Collins speculates that a faster time could have been set with a top-line driver.[

So if even Hattori could come that close, I reckon it would've been perfectly possible for them to qualify in 1997 with, say, Nakano.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I'm missing the Dome F106 on that footage, the where making a new chassis in 1997.
The ML prototype is between also an F1 car :)
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Nuppiz wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:The team did, however, test at Suzuka shortly after the season-ending 1996 Japanese Grand Prix at the circuit. Hattori set a best time of 1:46.270, which was more than seven seconds slower than Jacques Villeneuve's pole position time of 1:38.909 set in the Williams FW18 chassis. It was also 0.3 seconds slower than the 107% cut-off mark for qualification, although journalist Sam Collins speculates that a faster time could have been set with a top-line driver.[

So if even Hattori could come that close, I reckon it would've been perfectly possible for them to qualify in 1997 with, say, Nakano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBhRBuHv4I

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

nome66 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBhRBuHv4I

Aaah, the beautiful sound of V10...
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Nuppiz wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

Especially since Naoki was not anything more than an average Indy Lights driver (level below Indy Car).
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Found a testing pic of the Dome ML
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Nuppiz wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

Thought as much. Nakano would easily find about a second. A shame they didn't try and enter in the end.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

AdrianSutil wrote:Thought as much. Nakano would easily find about a second. A shame they didn't try and enter in the end.

As Naoki Hattori was pretty ordinary in Indy Lights and a backmarker in Indy Car. In fact, Nakano probably could have found two seconds.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

f1-gast wrote:Image

It's the Reliant Robin of F1 cars! :shock:
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

f1-gast wrote:I'm missing the Dome F106 on that footage, the where making a new chassis in 1997.

Are you sure that the ML was a F1 car? I'm pretty sure I remember reading at the time that it was a Formula Nippon car.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DOSBoot wrote:
f1-gast wrote:Image

It's the Reliant Robin of F1 cars! :shock:

I am led to believe (from previous discussions of this car on this forum) that there was a fourth wheel under the rear wing...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's right, it had two in-line wheels at the front and back that were steered, and the two in the middle which were powered.

What I love most about it is the enormous rear wing with all it's elements, like it's come straight off the back of the '84 Toleman! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Browsing through StatsF1, I found four constructors entering the non-chmapionship 1961 Rand GP. I have never heard of these:

Netuar-Peugeot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netuar
Jennings-Porsche
Heron-Alfa Romeo
Quodra-Climax
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
S951

Post by S951 »

in regards to dome & nakano if they entered and went for times they would of found more than 2 seconds imo. Stuff like better setup, car upgrades of some description etc etc all the usual stuff probably would of been around 4sec+ off pace ah well all ifs and buts
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
jondownunder

Post by jondownunder »

f1-gast wrote:Found a testing pic of the Dome ML

Faustus wrote:
f1-gast wrote:I'm missing the Dome F106 on that footage, the where making a new chassis in 1997.

Are you sure that the ML was a F1 car? I'm pretty sure I remember reading at the time that it was a Formula Nippon car.

I've just found out about the ML Prototype from browsing the "car museum" at the Dome website. Searching for more information took me to this thread.

According to the Dome site, the car was designed for a proposed oval series:

1998 ML PROTOTYPE

A next generation formula car built for the oval course races to be held by Mugen.

http://www.dome.co.jp/e/museum/car_m/car_m33a.html

Sounds like a similar all-oval concept to EuroLights, which never got off the ground in Europe but for which Lola designed a chassis.
jondownunder

Post by jondownunder »

Actually I see the ML Prototype tested both on road courses (Suzuka and Motegi) and oval (Motegi) -

http://www.dome.co.jp/e/news/enews9902.html

I found that Dome recently uploaded a short video of it testing at Motegi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mmrMP5QmE

Finally, more pictures at the Japanese version of the Dome Museum page:

http://www.dome.co.jp/museum/car_m/19_ml.html
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Hm havent saw that info correctly then.
IF you see the car it looks like it's an F1 car.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

it sounds... vaguely like a honda v8 indycar from 2007.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgJLu1LRAY

f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

does someone here speak Spanish ?
I found some document about the Bravo Team launch back in 1993

http://rapidshare.com/files/4049445777/ ... 25-034.pdf
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I can give you a rough translation, too much effort to type it all in to Google translate...(though I used it for some individual words...)

F3000: The Spanish team gave a presentation yesterday in Albacete, where they have established their base. The team are working on a future project supported by national technological companies.

Bravo: Obsessed With F1

The F3000 team Bravo have made an official presentation in Albacete, a city that has a lovely permanent circuit and will serve as a base for the team whose sponsors are Caja de Ahorros de Castilla-La Mancha, Ajusa, Tudor and Trappatoni. Meanwhile, Carmen Bustamente, the mayoress of Albacete, presided over the event.

"We have established ourselves here in Albacete because here there are lots of facilities" said Jaume Magrans, general director of Bravo. "Our objective is clear: have a car in 5 years time made in Spain with the aid of our Spanish technological partners. We know that we wanted to be in F1 for 1993, but it just wasn't possible."

There are a lot of factors, and this is one of the most important: we're not here to make up the numbers. There are a lot of rule changes and with some delays to the project it is impossible to get our car ready for the first races. This has led us to rethink and wait for another year."

It is worth noting that Bravo has entered this season's International Formula 3000 Championship, a (something about the world) and that their star driver is the Catalan Jordi Gene, who was at the event.

That's as much as I can do now...perhaps someone who's actually Spanish could have a go.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

what country is Albacete in?

EDIT: nevermind i found it

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

nome66 wrote:what country is Albacete in?

EDIT: nevermind i found it

Think you're tripping on too many E's dude...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
sebastian35554

Post by sebastian35554 »

f1-gast wrote: 06 Mar 2010, 23:04 Well can't hold my self to make this thread.
So post here the teams who never made it in the Formula 1.

I wanted to mention before I forget that working in a coworking space is an excellent concept for me, especially if you're looking to engage with like-minded individuals who are driven and dedicated to their businesses. If you want an example about coworking space click this url.

Let's start:
Trebon (1992/1993)
ImageImageImage

the Facts
The owner: Norbert Hamy
Engine: The car should be using the Judd V10
Build: Car should be build In Japan
Base: The base should be in England
Car: The car was full with new technologie but can't remember with what.
See pics =) for the car and also more info.

=============================================================

Bravo F1 (1993)

the Facts
The owner: Jean Pierre Mosnier
Team manager: Adrian Campos
Engine: Judd V8
car: Updated Andrea Moda S921 (Design work used for Simtem S941)
Drivers: Nicola Larini and Jordi Gené Future drivers Pedro de la Rosa and Ivan Arias
Stopt: Because of the dead of Jean Pierre

Lotus 112 (1994/1995)
ImageImage

the Facts
Chief Designer: Chris Murphy
Engine: Mugen-Honda ZA5D engine
Drivers: Alexandro Zanardi and Mika Salo
Stopt: Team Lotus stopt at the 17th of january 1995 because of a lack of sponsors and money

Monteverdi (1991)

the Facts
Chief designer: Paul Monteverdi
Driver: JJ Lehto only testes the Monteverdi (See picture)
Stopt: Lack of money

Ikuzawa (1994)

the Facts
Car type: HW001
Designer: Enrique Scalabroni
Teammanager: Peter Windsor

*Car shape should be tooked over by Jackie Stewart for his stewart team

DAMS (1995/1996)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

the Facts
Car type: GD01
Designer: Claude Galopin
Engine: Ford V8
Drivers: Eric Comas and Jan Lammers they only tested the dams at Paul Richard in October also Emmanuel Collard was called as a driver for the 1996 season
Stopt: The car was just to slow
Spewing oil over a row of potential investors in their workplace 3 weeks before the test

DOME (1996/1997)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

the Facts
Car type: F105
Engine: Mugen-Honda V10
Test drivers: Apicella later Shinji Nakano and Naoki Hattori
Stopt: Lack of money and interest of sponsors

Prodrive (2008)

The Facts
The owner: Dave Richards
The manager: Dave Richards?
Engine: Mercedes FO180X
Build: Woking, UK
Base: The Fulcrum, UK
Car: A customer chassis - Prodrive were intended to buy the McLaren MP4-23
Stopped because: The FIA could not get customer chassis legislation through when Williams objected to the idea of a new team having instant success

USF1 (2010)

The Facts
The owner: Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor
The manager: Peter Windsor
Engine: Cosworth CA2010
Build: Charlotte, USA
Base: Charlotte, USA
Car: USF1 Type-1
Drivers: Jose Maria Lopez and James Rossiter
Stopped: Production fell months behind schedule owing to serious mismanagement

Stefan GP (1997, ????, 2010)

The Facts
The owner: Zoran Stefanovic
Team Manager: Zoran Stefanovic (?)
Engine: Toyota RVX-09, re-badged as Stefan RG-01
Build: Cologne, Germany
Base: Belgrade, Serbia
Car: Toyota TF110, re-christened Stefan S-01
Drivers: Kazuki Nakajima and Jacques VIlleneuve
Stopped: Missed out on entry bid process, carried on anyway, but rejected as an eleventh-hour entry when USF1 folded
Thanks for starting this thread about Formula 1 teams that never made it. It's interesting to learn about the teams that had ambitious plans but, for various reasons, couldn't fully materialize their dreams of competing in the sport.

From Trebon to Stefan GP, each team had its unique story and challenges. It's fascinating to see the different attempts, designs, and engines they pursued, even if they faced difficulties along the way.

I appreciate you sharing the facts and images of these teams, giving us a glimpse into their aspirations and endeavors. It's a reminder that the world of Formula 1 is full of innovation, determination, and sometimes unpredictable outcomes.

If anyone has further information or thoughts about these teams, feel free to join the conversation. Let's continue exploring the rich history of Formula 1 together!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

The Lola T95/30 springs to mind. Didn't help that it didn't have an airbox for a start.