Chinese GP podcast - your help needed!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Chinese GP podcast - your help needed!

Post by eytl »

For the Chinese GP podcast, I am thinking about experimenting with a different format again. Let's trying doing something like a talkback radio show ... except it's not live!

I will record the bulk of the podcast. A preliminary list of the topics I will be covering is set out below. But I will need your help! What I am inviting you to do is to send me a clip (or a number of clips) of 30s to 1min (no more than 1min please) of your views/rants/soapbox on any of the topics below. I will then weave them into the podcast.

Your recording does not have to be terrific quality. All you need is an in-built microphone on a computer or a plugged-in microphone, and some kind of sound recording program (which most PCs running Windows should have). Then email the clip to me ([email protected]), with a subject line "Clip for podcast" or similar so I know it's not spam, preferably in MP3 format to reduce the file size. Sometimes my email is not entirely reliable either, so maybe send me a separate message to say that you have sent a clip, so I can get back to you if I haven't received it.

I would encourage in particular any outlandish, controversial, or attempt-at-humour comments in keeping with the spirit of F1 Rejects (although obviously nothing offensive or that I would need to bleep out). If you have any other news from other categories for the third segment, please let me know as well!

If I receive too many clips, obviously I may not be able to use all of them. If you would like to send in multiple clips, perhaps limit yourself to three so that I get an even spread.

I will be trying to record the podcast maybe next Sunday (2 May) so perhaps if I could impose a deadline of midday GMT on 1 May for clips to be sent to me.

Hopefully you're interested and you'd like to contribute!

Topics for the podcast

NEWS

* Alonso gets his thumbs insured

* Yamamoto gets HRT test deal

* Cooper Avon and maybe Pirelli join Michelin in expressing interest in supplying tyres

* Prodrive and Lola confirm they will not bid for 2011 entry, but Durango and Stefan (!) will

CHINESE GP

* Liuzzi's first lap shunt wins ROTR

* The early change to inters - a big mistake

* Vettel and Hamilton's drag race in pit lane

* Massa and Alonso - no love lost at Ferrari

* The safety car called again for Alguersuari's debris - very soft

* Shenanigans at the restart

* What's up with Schumi?

* Renault's stellar performance - Petrov stands out

* Hulkenberg's switch to slicks on a soaking wet track

* More reliability woes for Sauber and Virgin

* Will Lotus' upgrade package bring them into the midfield?

* Both HRTs make it to the finish

REJECT NEWS FROM OTHER CATEGORIES

* McNish and Capello win the first Le Mans Series round, Sarrazin in 4th with Panis and Lapierre

* David Brabham wins the ALMS round at Long Beach with Simon Pagenaud in their Highcroft Acura

* Justin Wilson 2nd at Long Beach Indycars, Sato only 18th

* Romain Grosjean wins GT1 opener at Abu Dhabi with Thomas Mutsch in a Ford GT, Bartels 4th, Bernoldi 6th, Enge 11th

* Bourdais and Brabham (+ Frentzen, Salo, Villeneuve, Morbidelli, Monteiro) confirmed for V8 Supercars on the Gold Coast
Lux Interior

Re: Chinese GP podcast - your help needed!

Post by Lux Interior »

I just finished listening to the latest podcast, and I have a question. How long til Jamie comes back? :mrgreen:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Just did a bit about Yamamoto, a minute really isn't that long!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I will put myself down for a bit on Hulkenberg, in which I will possibly tear him to shreds.

Just one question, what style should I record in? Should I speak as if I'm answering a question or just commenting or like a news report? Or am I thinking about this way too much?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

dibs on the Hamilton/Vettel drag race/ Hamilton's antics in general. Prolly gonna be several clips of one minute :D
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

watka wrote:Just one question, what style should I record in? Should I speak as if I'm answering a question or just commenting or like a news report? Or am I thinking about this way too much?

Probably more like a comment. I think what I'll tend to do is start talking about a topic, and then say, "Now let's see what the user known as "watka" on the forum has to say about this ...".

BTW, to everyone, feel free to use your screen name or if you would like to reveal your real name, that's fine as well.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Dibs on the Alguersuari safety car.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I will stand aside for the first one, but am genuinely interested anyways in seeing how it turns out.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Lux Interior wrote:I just finished listening to the latest podcast, and I have a question. How long til Jamie comes back? :mrgreen:

As much as we should be offended by comments like that, I think that everyone who was involved in the latest podcast agrees with you. :lol:

Oh and, dibs on talking about the tyres. :idea:

Edit: Done and sent!
Last edited by TimmyB on 25 Apr 2010, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Lovin' the responses so far ... and I've already had a few clips sent to me! :D

Just to clarify in case anyone was unsure, what I'm after are comments and opinions ... I don't really need recaps of facts, like what happened etc., I can cover that. Be opinionated!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

If I send you a clip, it will probably be about the bad reliability of Sauber and Virgin. And that Luscious Liz can always last longer than two Virgins.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I call dibs on ripping Schumacher to shreads :lol:
I might be able to record and send the clip tomorrow
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I would be interested in recording a section (or two) for the podcast. I haven't yet decided which section i'll choose, but it will most likely be a bit on rejects in other series or whatever news sections are left over.
This is a cool spot.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'll see about recording a couple of clips tomorrow. I'll probably cover a couple of the talking points on the Chinese GP if I do.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Excellent guys! Look forward to receiving your clips. You can choose a topic that someone else has chosen as well ... in fact that wouldn't be such a bad thing because then we could have multiple comments (and opinions) on certain issues.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Dibs on talking about the early switch to inters. It boggled my mind at the time why the teams were doing it, and it continues to do so to this day.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Mind if I give a brief segment on how F1 rejects are doing in the NASCAR world? :mrgreen:

Also, Enoch, my stupid Comcast email is having problems sending emails to various people, F1 Rejects included, so could I get it to you via Sendspace?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

FYI Enoch, should be able to send you something tomorrow (by that I meant the middle of the night on Wednesday your time). I'd rather do this when nobody else is in the house...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Topics updated - Alonso's thumbs must surely get a mention!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eytl wrote:Topics updated - Alonso's thumbs must surely get a mention!

This can link to the discussion about F1 Drivers being overpaid :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

eytl wrote:Topics updated - Alonso's thumbs must surely get a mention!

Someone at Santander must be getting a pay rise after all the press from this publicity stunt across the F1 world! ;)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
craiginsd

Post by craiginsd »

Some thoughts rel. to the podcasts during Jamie's absence. This will sound critical - and it is - but it's NOT meant to impugn the efforts of the hosts of the last podcast. Indeed, Aly, Adrian, Tim, and Ed aren't experienced in this media, but THEY made the effort to put something together for us all, and that's VERY appreciated.
1. The audio quality MUST be sufficient to make the dialog listenable. VOIP connections with low bandwidth, coupled with the variety of accents across the English language can make understanding the podcast a literal chore. As an American, I'm better than most of my countrymen at understanding various non-US accents, but really struggled through the last one due to the under-sampled audio coupled with the accents.
2. HIghlight the humor. The last podcast, while amusing, was VERY similar to other established podcasts, particularly F1 Weekly. In a sense, that's a compliment, as the team from the Bahstralaysian edition could certainly start up their own podcast right now and succeed, but it wasn't very representative of what distinguishes the F1 Rejects podcast from all the others. If that means that we end up with a short podcast compared to what Jamie and Enoch produce with such apparent ease, that's better than diluting the content and ending up with an indistinguishable product.
3. Possibly this was done during the Bahstralaysian edition, but set the topics in advance. That will maintain continuity and give the hosts the opportunity to think of the funny/odd/quirky angles of the stories in advance, so the entertainment aspect shines through. While F1 Rejects has always been rich with information, it's strength is in NOT sounding like all the other podcasts that basically are news digests.
Again, nothing but compliments to Aly, Adrian, Tim, and Ed. It's a hard thing to do, and very easy to criticize.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

craiginsd wrote:Some thoughts rel. to the podcasts during Jamie's absence. This will sound critical - and it is - but it's NOT meant to impugn the efforts of the hosts of the last podcast. Indeed, Aly, Adrian, Tim, and Ed aren't experienced in this media, but THEY made the effort to put something together for us all, and that's VERY appreciated.
1. The audio quality MUST be sufficient to make the dialog listenable. VOIP connections with low bandwidth, coupled with the variety of accents across the English language can make understanding the podcast a literal chore. As an American, I'm better than most of my countrymen at understanding various non-US accents, but really struggled through the last one due to the under-sampled audio coupled with the accents.
2. HIghlight the humor. The last podcast, while amusing, was VERY similar to other established podcasts, particularly F1 Weekly. In a sense, that's a compliment, as the team from the Bahstralaysian edition could certainly start up their own podcast right now and succeed, but it wasn't very representative of what distinguishes the F1 Rejects podcast from all the others. If that means that we end up with a short podcast compared to what Jamie and Enoch produce with such apparent ease, that's better than diluting the content and ending up with an indistinguishable product.
3. Possibly this was done during the Bahstralaysian edition, but set the topics in advance. That will maintain continuity and give the hosts the opportunity to think of the funny/odd/quirky angles of the stories in advance, so the entertainment aspect shines through. While F1 Rejects has always been rich with information, it's strength is in NOT sounding like all the other podcasts that basically are news digests.
Again, nothing but compliments to Aly, Adrian, Tim, and Ed. It's a hard thing to do, and very easy to criticize.

I feel kind of guilty when people mention me alongside the other three when talking about that podcast - I was in it for about five minutes and said very little.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

shinji wrote:I feel kind of guilty when people mention me alongside the other three when talking about that podcast - I was in it for about five minutes and said very little.

And I was meant to replace you after Bahrain because of that :lol:
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

craiginsd wrote:Some thoughts rel. to the podcasts during Jamie's absence. This will sound critical - and it is - but it's NOT meant to impugn the efforts of the hosts of the last podcast. Indeed, Aly, Adrian, Tim, and Ed aren't experienced in this media, but THEY made the effort to put something together for us all, and that's VERY appreciated.

Was it just me who thought their podcast was very good and hopes they do more :|

I think it's great that we had the accents out there too, I hate being complained at by Americans that my Irish accent (yes Irish - I have a Mackem accent but whatever) makes it hard for them to figure out what I am saying. I don't mind having to repeat myself but hate the total ignorance of my accent.
seanord

Post by seanord »

Nice work on the podcast gentlemen. Way to step up and produce an excellent, entertaining and informative show. Yes, that's overstating it, but good job nonetheless. Cheers.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Just sent my piece to Enoch; I don't think I can really finish a sentence without using the word "really".
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

watka wrote:Just sent my piece to Enoch; I don't think I can really finish a sentence without using the word "really".

I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

DonTirri wrote:
watka wrote:Just sent my piece to Enoch; I don't think I can really finish a sentence without using the word "really".

Yes, DonTirri, orally. Unless Watka talks through its nose.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

craiginsd wrote:Some thoughts rel. to the podcasts during Jamie's absence.

Fair comments craignsd, well worded. Most of the things you talk about improve after a few podcasts experience, so maybe listen to the first rejects podcast as a fair comparison. ;)
However, you'll never find the four of us doing a podcast together again so it's academic now I guess.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

thehemogoblin wrote:Yes, DonTirri, orally. Unless Watka talks through its nose.

After your mention of goatse, I don't like where this is going at all.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

RejectSteve wrote:

I do have to occasionally remind everyone that this is the Internet.
RAK

Post by RAK »

thehemogoblin wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:

But must we really remind ourselves of those pathetic memes spread by those idiotic teenagers over at 4chan? Honestly, that site adds ammunition to my idea of making everybody sit a test before they can use the internet - involving MULTICS, several hole-punches and some FORTRAN 66.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

RAK wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:After your mention of goatse, I don't like where this is going at all.

But must we really remind ourselves of those pathetic memes spread by those idiotic teenagers over at 4chan? Honestly, that site adds ammunition to my idea of making everybody sit a test before they can use the internet - involving MULTICS, several hole-punches and some FORTRAN 66.

I understand your general concern; however, Goatse is older than 4Chan. Far older.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

No presh, but does anyone know how well this is all coming together?
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

watka wrote:No presh, but does anyone know how well this is all coming together?

Three of the four sections have been recorded and are in the "editing room". Hopefully will record the last section tonight.

I received about half a dozen clips which I will weave into the podcast.

Obviously, the whole process will take a bit longer than normal since it's a one-man show at the moment!
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I am having some issues with internet connections so I don't think I'd be able to send voice files to eytl in time. Therefore, I'm going to type out my thoughts on this and hope eytl reads this on the podcast for the world. Also, this keeps me more mysterious as my voice will not be known! Here goes:

Before the race started, it had been drizzling for about 30 minutes, but honestly the track surface barely had any moisture. The early yellow flag provided a time to switch tires without much loss of time, but even just sitting on the stands, it was very apparent that inters would be torn to shreds in that environment. I think a lot of the teams gambled that the rain was going to get much heavier very quickly, but the clouds all around the track didn't seem to suggest that. My opinion was that the correct strategy to try was to keep the slicks on and try to keep the car on the island in the damp conditions and that seemed to be borne out by the leading pack. If someone sitting in the stands can make a better tire call than the majority of F1 teams, then something is very wrong (and Rejectful!) with the people making the strategic decisions in F1.

Also, we've had a rule since 2008 that says always make the opposite tire choice from what Ferrari is doing. Ferrari's record in the past few years has been atrocious and when both Massa and Alonso came in for inters during that first caution period, it should've been a giant flashing sign to the rest of the teams to NOT switch to inters.
UPRC

Post by UPRC »

Will the next podcast have the F1 Rejects opening music, Enoch?
BATracer GP2 Liveries
Dozens of original liveries for use with the GP2 carset.

(There's even an F1 Rejects livery!)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Are you going to do something like this for the next podcast, too? I might be semi-interested....
Malta Shadows F1

Post by Malta Shadows F1 »

if you do i call dibs on Sauber/ Kobayashi (if thats alright and if i can get decent audio recorded)