2010 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

2010 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Somewhat major news story of the week affecting the race itself: Higher Kerbs at Nouvelle and Swimming Pool, partial resurfacing of track
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Tealy

Re: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion

Post by Tealy »

Wizzie wrote:Somewhat major news story of the week affecting the race itself: Higher Kerbs at Nouvelle and Swimming Pool, partial resurfacing of track

Sounds good to me, but the drivers will have a fit when they realise they are going to have to bounce over these higher curbs to avoid hitting the new teams. Should be fun.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:Somewhat major news story of the week affecting the race itself: Higher Kerbs at Nouvelle and Swimming Pool, partial resurfacing of track

More wheels collapsing, or brakes getting damaged? Will the Red Bulls get shaken to bits? Watch this space.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Bathplug, bathplug, bathplug - I should have considered how fragile the RBs are before I made my predicamant predictions.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I believe Massa was warned a couple of times for jumping over those kerbs... :D
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2 practice sessions down and is there really anything to read into parctice other than Alonso and Kubica looking good and HRT looking anything but?

Also interesting to note the rain was heavy enough to make the track slippery but never hard enough to warrent inters... if this continues to Qualy then things just got a whole lot better :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Rosbo is in front of Schuey again. Conspiracy theorists, grab a seat. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Rosbo is in front of Schuey again. Conspiracy theorists, grab a seat. :D

*Sits down*
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Rosbo is in front of Schuey again. Conspiracy theorists, grab a seat. :D

What if I want to sit on the ground?
Now seriously, it's no surprise considering they're using the original car again.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:Kubica looking good and HRT looking anything but?

That's basically what this season has been.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

6 minutes into FP3 and already there's a new problem down HRT's way.

Senna apparently has some major steering wheel issues and the team are trying to fix it as we speak
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:6 minutes into FP3 and already there's a new problem down HRT's way.

Senna apparently has some major steering wheel issues and the team are trying to fix it as we speak

Wasn't it Chandhok? Davidson was really critical of it...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Wizzie wrote:6 minutes into FP3 and already there's a new problem down HRT's way.

Wasn't it Chandhok? Davidson was really critical of it...

Autosport says it was Senna.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Fernando BAHAHAHAlonso.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I can't wait to see the footage of Alonso's smash which will inevetivly be shown on ONE HD's pre qualifying show :lol:
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Wizzie wrote:I can't wait to see the footage of Alonso's smash which will inevetivly be shown on ONE HD's pre qualifying show :lol:

Me too! Speed only shows qualifying and the race, and occasionally FP2. Have yet to see FP3, even for the US Grand Prix.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And now it's Sutil's turn to find the wall abit not has heavily as Alonso as Adrian returns to the pits.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Haven't seen it, just heard it. But the BBS guys said he was really on it!

Alonso slammed it on the wall, so only did 6 laps. Button complaining of lack of grip.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

That is going to be a hell of an effort from the Ferrari mechanics to get Alonso's car ready in time, as that was a big accident (Davidson reckons that Alonso might not even be able to start the session, such is the damage). Massa was also giving his mechanics a nervous time - he nealy stuffed it in the barriers twice (on the second occasion, he got away with causing a small amount of damage to the endplate of his front wing, but so nearly ended up in the barrier). Either way, Alonso has lost a lot of time in that session, and is going to be on the back foot now.

Kubica is still flying, though - again, he was ahead of Webber (interestingly, Webber is leading the Red Bull charge, with Vettel marginally behind him), and really is getting absolutely everything out of that car. He is in with a good chance of getting onto the front row, and could well be an outside bet for the win here.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Alonso will not take part in qualifying.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Bleu wrote:Alonso will not take part in qualifying.

So much for his practice efforts. This crash was quite untactful and unneeded.
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
mario

Post by mario »

lostpin wrote:
Bleu wrote:Alonso will not take part in qualifying.

So much for his practice efforts. This crash was quite untactful and unneeded.

And confirmation of Alonso not starting the qualifying session http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 10782.html

And that is a slightly harsh comment, since he was not the only one to make a mistake during that session - Schumacher went wide at Mirabeau, as did Petrov, whilst Sutil also ended up clipping a barrier and damaging his rear wing. Also, quite a few drivers were pushing very hard at that point, since they had lost some dry running yesterday thanks to the slight rain shower in FP2, and wanted to get used to the cars in qualifying trim. True, perhaps he should have held back a bit, but Alonso was unfortunte, to a certain extent, that his mistake ended up damaging the car so badly.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RAK

Post by RAK »

I'm somewhat disappointed for Kubica - pipped at the post by a stunning run by Webber. Successful runs by Red Bull at a track where they haven't traditionally been that strong.

Rejectful showing from Alonso, obviously. Coulthard vs. Bernoldi re-run, anybody?
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

RAK wrote:I'm somewhat disappointed for Kubica - pipped at the post by a stunning run by Webber. Successful runs by Red Bull at a track where they haven't traditionally been that strong.

Rejectful showing from Alonso, obviously. Coulthard vs. Bernoldi re-run, anybody?

Yeah, we were all pushing with Kubica, except our beloved webmasters :lol:
The McLarens don't seem to be very fast here. We might see some over-eagerness by Hamilton in the race.
Surprisingly, Barrichello and Liuzzi made Q3. That was exactly what Liuzzi needed after his last outings-it will give him confidence, and a good chance to score.
About the rejectful showing from Alonso, yes, he made a mistake in FP3, but he was incredibly unlucky to damage his chassis so much. It should have only ended with a gearbox change at worst. Let's see how the race will develop for him tomorrow. His car has the pace, but passing the slower cars could end up being a true ordeal for him.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

One of the most exciting qualifying sessions ever, well done to Webber again. Liuzzi, Buemi and Williams in general aren't looking too bad either.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Can Webber do it? :)
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

More importantly, why does redbulljack have a Williams avatar?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

LionZoo wrote:More importantly, why does redbulljack have a Williams avatar?

Because williamsjack just didn't sound proper as a username.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Henrique wrote:Can Webber do it? :)

You better ask Red Bull about that, mate :lol:
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Monaco GP's qualification once again proved that this years mantra is... "We spend 20 minutes eliminating 7 drivers, then another 15 minutes to eliminate further 7 and then a Red Bull takes the pole"
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Fact:

If Webber wins the race, Vettel finishes no higher than 2nd, Alonso finishes no higher than 5th, and Button finishes no higher than 6th - all very possible outcomes - Mark will be leading the championship (at least on countback). Who'd have believed it after he left China in 8th place?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

eytl wrote:Fact:

If Webber wins the race, Vettel finishes no higher than 2nd, Alonso finishes no higher than 5th, and Button finishes no higher than 6th - all very possible outcomes - Mark will be leading the championship (at least on countback). Who'd have believed it after he left China in 8th place?

That's a big word, you know? But, yes, I'd be quite a comeback and I think Webber may actually be a legit contender for the title this year
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
LionZoo wrote:More importantly, why does redbulljack have a Williams avatar?

Because williamsjack just didn't sound proper as a username.

It's actually because it was my name on the F1Gamers forum because I wasn't as much of a Williams fan back then.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

All good points. I've been predicting he's going to have the measure of Vettel ever since the beginning of last year, maybe he'll finally prove me right.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

All good points. I've been predicting he's going to have the measure of Vettel ever since the beginning of last year, maybe he'll finally prove me right.

He's already outqualified Vettel more times this season than he did throughout the whole of last season.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

redbulljack14 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

He's already outqualified Vettel more times this season than he did throughout the whole of last season.

3 versus 2, right? I can't bring myself to prefer Webber over him, there's no aggression there...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CarlosFerreira wrote:3 versus 2, right? I can't bring myself to prefer Webber over him, there's no aggression there...

I would say what about when Webber was at Williams, but Vettel wasn't in F1 then.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

redbulljack14 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:3 versus 2, right? I can't bring myself to prefer Webber over him, there's no aggression there...

I would say what about when Webber was at Williams, but Vettel wasn't in F1 then.

Measure of how tired I am, meant one thing and wrote the other. :? I meant I can't bring myself to prefer Vettel over Webber, can't see enough aggression in Sebastian.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Khausen Effect

Post by Khausen Effect »

Alonso to start on softs and pit for hard tyres at the end of lap 1? Might be good for him if there is a safety car anywhere between laps 1 and 15. He's starting from the pit lane and so has no hope of passing anyone before turn 2.

It's been interesting that Kubica seems to be driving Monaco in a style reminiscent of Hamilton's over the last few years. I'd like to see him win, just for his entertaining driving on Thursday and Saturday.

Vettel's driving went messy last year at Monaco when things went against him. Webber's recent pace must be getting to Vettel, will he be able to control his frustrations this year?