What If?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Whiteshore

Re: What If?

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Tony George's bid to purchase CART's assets in 2004 was successful?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Tony George's bid to purchase CART's assets in 2004 was successful?

What do you think?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Izzyeviel wrote:What if Monster had bought Jaguar?

I think Monster had performed way worse than Red Bull in the first years. I don't believe the team had survived no longer than three years.

The biggest impact of this what if scenario is the possibility of Vettel never be promoted to F1, considering Red Bull and BMW out of F1.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

What if Palmer had been promoted to a Lotus seat for this year instead of next year?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

Rob Dylan wrote:What if Palmer had been promoted to a Lotus seat for this year instead of next year?

Replacing Grosjean or Maldonado?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I suppose either scenario would be interesting
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Once we see Palmer next year so we actually know how good he is, we can pretend to answer that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Reynard didn't go bankrupt in 2002?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Reynard didn't go bankrupt in 2002?

You would ask instead "What if Reynard did go bankrupt in 2002?"
Everything's great.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

Salamander wrote:

I'm more interested in the effects of Reynard not going bankrupt than you just dismissing that.
Unafraid of the papaya!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Back in 2004 Midland brought Jordan but it didnt last. At the time they were linked to buying Jaguar

So whatif Midland brougt Jaguar instead of Red Bull
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

peteroli34 wrote:Back in 2004 Midland brought Jordan but it didnt last. At the time they were linked to buying Jaguar

So whatif Midland brougt Jaguar instead of Red Bull

Either Red Bull would have lost any interest in Formula 1 (which would mean the sport would now be in a much worse situation than the current one) or they would have wound up buying Jordan instead, which would mean things would have stayed pretty much the same, with former Jordan becoming a championship-winning team and former Jaguar going down the Midland-Spyker-Force India path.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Whiteshore wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I'm more interested in the effects of Reynard not going bankrupt than you just dismissing that.

If you actually want answers, you might want to try asking a question that isn't so incredibly open-ended. It's really anyone's guess as to what Reynard would have done - it's not like their long-term business strategy is common knowledge.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Whiteshore-style question: What if A1GP did not go bankrupt in 2009?

Better question: What if A1GP did not go bankrupt in 2009? Would FE also have been established as a northern-hemisphere winter series? Would both series have had similar calendars, beginning in September/October in Asia, before going on to the Americas in the New Year, and ending up in Europe in May/June? Would there have been any competition between the series for drivers? Would GP2 Asia series have survived this long if A1GP had also lasted?

My thoughts: There would not be much competition between the series for drivers - A1GP and GP2 Asia seemed to consist mostly of pre-F1 drivers (like Hulkenberg), whereas FE seems to be filled with drivers with well-established careers. Plus, there are not many drivers in FE from the Lebanon, Greece, South Korea or Monaco... ;) A1GP and FE both seemed to follow similar paths around the world, but this wouldn't have been a problem, as one raced on permanent facilities, and the other on street tracks. Don't know how things would have panned out if GP2 Asia had also survived - three off-season series? Younger drivers seem to enjoy the MRF series in India and the Toyota series in New Zealand to keep up experience levels...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I just realised Jules Bianchi would have most likely had one of the Haas seats next year, unless a larger team managed to pry him from Ferrari.

Such a shame that we'll never know how well he'd do in a top car.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:I just realised Jules Bianchi would have most likely had one of the Haas seats next year, unless a larger team managed to pry him from Ferrari.

Either that, or Ferrari could have failed to have resign Raikkonen, and had Bianchi as number 2 to Vettel instead?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

What if Dean Stoneman hadn't had his cancer scare in 2011? Which F1 team would he be in by now?

My guess: I might have had to say Williams, as they were constructors for the Formula 2 championship, which he won in 2010.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

golic_2004 wrote:What if Dean Stoneman hadn't had his cancer scare in 2011? Which F1 team would he be in by now?

My guess: I might have had to say Williams, as they were constructors for the Formula 2 championship, which he won in 2010.

I have just looked at the Formula 2 Wikipedia page, and they list the championship podium for the four seasons when run under Palmer's MSV organisation:

1. Andy Soucek
2. Robert Wickens
3. Mikhail Aleshin

1. Dean Stoneman
2. Jolyon Palmer
3. Sergey Afanasyev

1. Mirko Bortilotti
2. Christopher Zanella
3. Ramon Pineiro

1. Luciano Bacheta
2. Matheo Tuscher
3. Christopher Zanella

So out of those 11 drivers, only one has so far made it all the way to F1, but his debut is not actually until Australia next year, and he is the son of the guy who ran F2! So would Stoneman have made it to F1 by now? Depends how he would have gone in GP2 or FR3.5 in the meantime, as I doubt he would have gone straight from F2 to F1. Maybe a Williams test driver at best in the few years that followed?

As for Williams having been involved in the construction of the cars, I suspect that this was purely a business/commercial decision, and would have had little impact in F1 driver selection. After all, both McLaren and Williams are involved in Formula E, and I don't see Nelson Piquet being signed up by either F1 team any time soon!
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:Whiteshore-style question: What if A1GP did not go bankrupt in 2009?

Better question: What if A1GP did not go bankrupt in 2009? Would FE also have been established as a northern-hemisphere winter series? Would both series have had similar calendars, beginning in September/October in Asia, before going on to the Americas in the New Year, and ending up in Europe in May/June? Would there have been any competition between the series for drivers? Would GP2 Asia series have survived this long if A1GP had also lasted?

My thoughts: There would not be much competition between the series for drivers - A1GP and GP2 Asia seemed to consist mostly of pre-F1 drivers (like Hulkenberg), whereas FE seems to be filled with drivers with well-established careers. Plus, there are not many drivers in FE from the Lebanon, Greece, South Korea or Monaco... ;) A1GP and FE both seemed to follow similar paths around the world, but this wouldn't have been a problem, as one raced on permanent facilities, and the other on street tracks. Don't know how things would have panned out if GP2 Asia had also survived - three off-season series? Younger drivers seem to enjoy the MRF series in India and the Toyota series in New Zealand to keep up experience levels...

Perhaps a merger of some sort between the 2 series? There is a need for a strong single-seater series, well-promoted and more importantly, non-feeder to F1, a bit like Formula 5000 used to be. Where a driver who, for whatever reason, has not graduated to Formula 1 or no longer has a drive there, can continue to have a career as a professional racing driver. The World Endurance Championship has sort of fulfilled this role for a while, but with the driver grading and the restricted number of factory drives, it's not quite that.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AustralianStig wrote:I just realised Jules Bianchi would have most likely had one of the Haas seats next year, unless a larger team managed to pry him from Ferrari.

Wasn't the other, similar discussion that he'd have been driving for Sauber this year - which has gone a hell of a lot better than it did last year despite Marcus Ericsson driving the car that would most likely have been Bianchi's?

Could he have scored more points than Felipe Nasr, who's (somewhat flukily) managed to unrejectify himself in it?

Again, we will never know...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Whiteshore-style question: What if A1GP did not go bankrupt in 2009?

Perhaps a merger of some sort between the 2 series? There is a need for a strong single-seater series, well-promoted and more importantly, non-feeder to F1, a bit like Formula 5000 used to be. Where a driver who, for whatever reason, has not graduated to Formula 1 or no longer has a drive there, can continue to have a career as a professional racing driver. The World Endurance Championship has sort of fulfilled this role for a while, but with the driver grading and the restricted number of factory drives, it's not quite that.

You make an interesting point. A1GP did feel like a Winter Series for up-and-coming drivers (Lapierre, Piquet and Hulkenberg as examples all went from race-winning A1GP drives to F1/sportscar drives elsewhere) or for drivers from non-established motorsport cultures (and GP2 Asia felt like a rival series to A1GP, and lasted for about as long), while FE, as you seem to suggest, is turning into a strong single-seater category that is not an F1 feeder. The only other single-seater series to do this currently, I feel, is IndyCar, but that is rather US-centric.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

300 people, including 3 close mates of mine, wouldn't have lost their jobs, consequently flooding the motorsport community with 300 experienced people who (understandably) got all the good jobs that were available in Formula 1 and left me unable to find a job in F1 at the time.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Yeah. IndyCar is the top open-wheel series outside of F1 but that is mainly United States-based with occasional stops in neighboring/nearby countries.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Toyota instead of Honda returned to F1 in 2015, supplying McLaren? Would McLaren have fared better or worse with Toyoya power units?
Unafraid of the papaya!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Toyota instead of Honda returned to F1 in 2015, supplying McLaren? Would McLaren have fared better or worse with Toyoya power units?

Another impossibly open-ended question. Next.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Toyota instead of Honda returned to F1 in 2015, supplying McLaren? Would McLaren have fared better or worse with Toyoya power units?

There is no possible way of objectively answering that question. The closest parallel that I can think of is their 2012 WEC entry, which was a very successful début, but even at that, it's not a reliable model for measuring the performance of a Toyota F1 power unit. As has been pointed out on a number of previous occasions, the question is far too open-ended to give any sort of reliable answer. I do hate to say this, especially as I hate any sort of potential conflict, but I think you need to either start posing "what if" scenarios that can actually be answered with respect to any kind of concrete evidence or to simply stop posting so much in this thread.
#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Actor James Dean never died from that crash? He was also an aspiring racer and wished to race the Indianapolis 500. Would you imagine him possibly entering an F1 race (likely in America), thus giving him a Reject profile on here?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Considering the fact that Honda lost in almost every motorsport series that they competed in this year (Example: F1, Indycar, MotoGP, Super Formula, BTCC), I think Toyota had made a slightly better engine with less reliability issues, but still miles behind Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes. The biggest problem for a new engine manufacturer is start to build almost from scratch while the three other have tons of KM in track testing in the last two years. Plus, the engine development freeze also hurts the chance of a newcomer to improve and catch the others.

Simtek wrote:

There is no possible way of objectively answering that question. The closest parallel that I can think of is their 2012 WEC entry, which was a very successful début, but even at that, it's not a reliable model for measuring the performance of a Toyota F1 power unit. As has been pointed out on a number of previous occasions, the question is far too open-ended to give any sort of reliable answer. I do hate to say this, especially as I hate any sort of potential conflict, but I think you need to either start posing "what if" scenarios that can actually be answered with respect to any kind of concrete evidence or to simply stop posting so much in this thread.

I have to disagree. He is doing nothing wrong with his open questions. I don't know why some people are complaining against Whiteshore here. This topic was made for any "what if" scenario. Take a look in the first questions of this topic and you will see tons of open questions.

I think the problem is some users are getting angry with simple questions. The best thing to do is: If you dislike some question, just ignore. If you like, feel free to reply.

I also want to remember you guys about this topic: An open letter to all at F1Rejects.com
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I have to disagree. He is doing nothing wrong with his open questions. I don't know why some people are complaining against Whiteshore here. This topic was made for any "what if" scenario. Take a look in the first questions of this topic and you will see tons of open questions.

I think the problem is some users are getting angry with simple questions. The best thing to do is: If you dislike some question, just ignore. If you like, feel free to reply.

I also want to remember you guys about this topic: An open letter to all at F1Rejects.com

I tend to agree with this statement. Live and let live, people. :)

Dj_bereta wrote:

Considering the fact that Honda lost in almost every motorsport series that they competed in this year (Example: F1, Indycar, MotoGP, Super Formula, BTCC), I think Toyota had made a slightly better engine with less reliability issues, but still miles behind Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes. The biggest problem for a new engine manufacturer is start to build almost from scratch while the three other have tons of KM in track testing in the last two years. Plus, the engine development freeze also hurts the chance of a newcomer to improve and catch the others.

Actually, Honda are incredibly successful in BTCC. Four of the last five titles have gone to Honda drivers, including this year. Perhaps you meant WTCC, with their pitiful excuse of a works outfit being destroyed by Chevy and then Citroen. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:

Simtek wrote:

Yeah, but nobody's really been answering them.
Everything's great.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

I've been wondering lately - after watching races from the time - about what would have happened if Ronnie Peterson hadn't died (or even suffered career-affecting injuries) at Monza in 1978.

Not the direct result which is already well known - he was off to McLaren for 1979 - where in hindsight he probably wouldn't have had much joy unless he persisted until the Ron Dennis takeover in '81.

But in the end John Watson took the McLaren seat that would have been his - leaving a competitive Brabham to do so, with Piquet replacing him. Was Watson poached by McLaren in the aftermath of Peterson's loss, or was he out at Brabham in any case in favour of Piquet (who drove a third car in the '78 finale)?

To confuse the matter further, from some videos at the time they seem to be talking about the plan to pair Peterson with a McLaren (or customer)-affiliated youngster such as Giacomelli or even Piquet himself, with no mention of Tambay who in real life stayed for a second year with the team alongside Watson.

But yeah I'm wondering whether Peterson's death saved Watson from a premature trip to the career scrapheap, or if it indirectly gave Piquet his break?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Honda continued to supply Spirit in 1984 and Emerson Fittipaldi drove for them?
Unafraid of the papaya!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Honda continued to supply Spirit in 1984 and Emerson Fittipaldi drove for them?

Why on earth Fittipaldi? That suggestion makes no sense to me whatsoever. Unless I'm missing something obvious?
MCard LOLA
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

dr-baker wrote:
Whiteshore wrote:What if Honda continued to supply Spirit in 1984 and Emerson Fittipaldi drove for them?

Why on earth Fittipaldi? That suggestion makes no sense to me whatsoever. Unless I'm missing something obvious?

http://counter-x.net/f1/1985/review/spirit/index.html
Spirit planned to run him in 1984 and went as far as him running some tests at Rio.
Unafraid of the papaya!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

A double world champion driving a car firmly mired at the back of the field? Unthinkable.

Oh, wait...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Dj_bereta wrote:I have to disagree. He is doing nothing wrong with his open questions. I don't know why some people are complaining against Whiteshore here. This topic was made for any "what if" scenario. Take a look in the first questions of this topic and you will see tons of open questions.

I'd advise you not to use 15 year old me's (in)ability to frame questions having just signed up to F1R to defend somebody, won't get you very far :deletraz:
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Whiteshore wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

http://counter-x.net/f1/1985/review/spirit/index.html
Spirit planned to run him in 1984 and went as far as him running some tests at Rio.

He then realised just how shite the Spirit was.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Nigel Roebuck from Motorsport has realised that we have been doing this thread for 6 years and has decided to post, in his own way:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/ ... one-to-f1/
Last edited by Faustus on 27 Nov 2015, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Faustus wrote:Nigel Roebuck from Motorsport has realised that we have been this thread for 6 years and has decided to post, in his own way:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/ ... one-to-f1/

Jeff Gordon in F1 would've been so great - the legit rival Schumi never really had.
Everything's great.
girry

Post by girry »

It's difficult to say with confidence Jeff would have been the rival for Schumacher as talent in stock cars not even nearly always translates into talent in open wheelers, and Gordon never got even a chance to demonstrate his skills - then from the footage I've seen, Tony Stewart looked more impressive in his F1 tests...
when you're dead people start listening