Racing lines

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Osiris13

Racing lines

Post by Osiris13 »

Does anyone recall the idea a few years back that F1 drivers would be given a choice as to which part of a chicane they could use in an effort to encourage overtaking? I'm always reminded of this idea at turns 13/14 at the Nurburgring. I thought it was a great idea if only to stop cars being held up by slower ones.
Bert

Re: Racing lines

Post by Bert »

It certainly sounds like a good idea. To go further, you could require them to use the alternate path a set number of times. I saw this very concept in a rally-cross event, where the normal path was a high-speed sweeper, the alternate was a chicane and everyone had to use the alternate once. There was an issue in the races that I saw, specifically a car crashed and completely blocked the chicane, on the first lap.
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

This has already been discussed on here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

If you want to take it that way, there's also the possibility of pit-lane penalty for success (such as we see in some GT Championships) or success ballast (such as in Touring Car racing). Not sure I like any of the solutions for F1.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

Cheers noisebox for the link to the previous thread. I think it's a good idea: a once per race opportunity which would allow drivers to pass Jarno Trulli's er sorry I mean back markers. And for anyone who thought it would spoil the racing - er what racing?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Osiris13 wrote:Cheers noisebox for the link to the previous thread. I think it's a good idea: a once per race opportunity which would allow drivers to pass Jarno Trulli's er sorry I mean back markers. And for anyone who thought it would spoil the racing - er what racing?

:lol: OK, we disagree, but that made me laugh twice!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!