Hungarian GP discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
muttley

Re: Hungarian GP discussion

Post by muttley »

Here's the car weights.
And... surprise surprise, Alonso is at least 15 kg lighter than everybody else! :lol:

01 McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 650.5
02 McLaren Mercedes Heikki Kovalainen 655.5
04 Ferrari Kimi Räikkönen 651.5
05 BMW Sauber Robert Kubica *666.0
06 BMW Sauber Nick Heidfeld *658.0
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 637.5
08 Renault Nelson Piquet *667.7
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli *671.3
10 Toyota Timo Glock *679.2
11 STR Ferrari Jaime Alguersuari *675.5
12 STR Ferrari Sébastien Buemi *671.5
14 RBR Renault Mark Webber 652.0
15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 655.0
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 654.0
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 658.0
20 Force India Mercedes Adrian Sutil *683.5
21 Force India Mercedes Giancarlo Fisichella *680.5
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 664.5
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello *689.0
muttley

Post by muttley »

Paul Hayes wrote:I don't wish to alarm anybody unduly, but AP are now reporting Massa's condition to be life threatening.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD99LLKR80

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I read it just now. It's terrible.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Massa's website, plus Formula1.com, both say the surgery went well, and that he's in IC. I suppose that's to be expected, after a surgery to save your life after skull damage.

Somehow, I want to look at the weights and laugh and point at Alonso, but simply can't.

I'll just point out that both Williams' are about as heavy as the Red Bulls, so there's some some potential there. And that Button is quite heavy, so expect him to come into play after the first stops.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

*Touch Wood*

Tomorrow will be Nico's day. ;)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

A lot of the talk coming into the race was that Brawn would strike back on a warm track, but they've seemed to have gone backwards in pace. In the positive side, Jenson's got a heavy fuel load, on the negative side, he's got 3 KERS cars around him which will hold him up. I'm guessing it'll be 5th or 6th for him, depending on what strategy they can work out.

The Red Bulls look in best shape for the win if they can fend off Hamilton early on.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

shinji wrote:I was at a barbecue in Wicklow (don't ask) all day

Quite the exciting life!

I'm banking on another turn 1 incident, what with all those KERS cars and the potentially feather-light Alonso ready to scrap for his track place, too.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I want to see a Nico win.
But after seeing the replay of Massa's crash on youtube I think I've just lost almost all interest I had in the race.
Well the first corner is going to be one very juicy prospect.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm hoping that the KERS cars can get the jump on everyone, and then proceed to back the field up. Or at least the Red Bulls.

Why? Because Button has an extra four laps of fuel on-board, and if the above proves true, he may be able to leapfrog everyone in the pits the way he did in Malaysia and Bahrain. The unplanned extra fuel may prove to be a blessing in disguise.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

Hamilton leads! :o
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Hamilton wins, Raikkonen second. Wow!

Will someone please ban the dustbin lids that cover the wheels, please?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Congratulations to Jaime Alguersuari for finishing his race in front of his teammate after being rubbished the whole weekend :D
Enrique Bernoldi

muttley wrote:Congratulations to Jaime Alguersuari for finishing his race in front of his teammate after being rubbished the whole weekend :D

Yep, great drive from the kid. Kept out of trouble and put in some good times. Very un-reject worthy!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Whatever happened to Webber? We knew the Red Bull wasn't the very best car in the Hungaroring, but I was suprised Webber didn't make it. Any way, he finally overcomes Vettel in the WDC, only fair in my opinion.

Good race by Raikkonen as well.

Of course, my heart missed a beat when Nando Alonso's dustbin lid shattered, and then another when the wheel came adrift. Glad nobody got hurt, but the discussion is going to rage on.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
muttley

Post by muttley »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Whatever happened to Webber? We knew the Red Bull wasn't the very best car in the Hungaroring, but I was suprised Webber didn't make it. Any way, he finally overcomes Vettel in the WDC, only fair in my opinion.

Good race by Raikkonen as well.

Of course, my heart missed a beat when Nando Alonso's dustbin lid shattered, and then another when the wheel came adrift. Glad nobody got hurt, but the discussion is going to rage on.

Bernie said that Charlie Whiting is going to look into the risk of cars losing parts. I have noticed that there are two types of dustbin lids: a circular one that stays inside the wheel rim (like Ferrari or Brawn for example have) and the rectangular one that Alonso lost. I won't be surprised if the second type will be banned after what happened.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

The so called "dustbin lids" remind me of those wheel trims you can buy at halfords (or any other car accesory outlet) and have no place in F1 they look silly....
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Anyone see the world feed showing HWNSNBM talking to a Force India mechanic?

Fisi or Sutil, which one is he going to replace?

I wrote:So it is highly likely that the race will be a Button benefit.

I was wrong
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Button and Brawn got very lucky today, championship-wise, and really dodged a bullet with Red Bull being unable to take full advantage of their troubles. But they won't get so lucky many more times - they really need to find out why this car, previously so unbeatable, is now struggling so badly. However, all is not lost - if they can squeeze just a little bit more performance out of it and get somewhere close to the Red Bulls, the fact that other teams can now also mix it up there should splinter the big points and keep the title within reach. But it'll be tough.

On the whole, for Hungary that was quite an entertaining race, especially early on.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Paul Hayes wrote:Button and Brawn got very lucky today, championship-wise, and really dodged a bullet with Red Bull being unable to take full advantage of their troubles. But they won't get so lucky many more times - they really need to find out why this car, previously so unbeatable, is now struggling so badly. However, all is not lost - if they can squeeze just a little bit more performance out of it and get somewhere close to the Red Bulls, the fact that other teams can now also mix it up there should splinter the big points and keep the title within reach. But it'll be tough.

On the whole, for Hungary that was quite an entertaining race, especially early on.

Found Button's mid-race whinge on the radio to be rather funny. "Why is it so BAAAADDD?" :lol:
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Enforcer wrote:
Found Button's mid-race whinge on the radio to be rather funny. "Why is it so BAAAADDD?" :lol:

Indeed :lol:
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Paul Hayes wrote:Button and Brawn got very lucky today, championship-wise, and really dodged a bullet with Red Bull being unable to take full advantage of their troubles. But they won't get so lucky many more times - they really need to find out why this car, previously so unbeatable, is now struggling so badly. However, all is not lost - if they can squeeze just a little bit more performance out of it and get somewhere close to the Red Bulls, the fact that other teams can now also mix it up there should splinter the big points and keep the title within reach. But it'll be tough.

The championship might go right down the wire, something no one would've expected after the first 7 races that Button won 6 out of!!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Was that James Allen asking the questions in the post-race interviews with the top 3?

BBC didn't stay with it until right near the end in order to show him humping Hamilton in celebration which would have confirmed it but it sounded awfully like him to me.

I hope it's not a regular occurrence, as I hoped we'd got rid of him.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Yeah, it was him. It used to be Peter Windsor but when USF1 got an entry he stopped doing it. James Allen's a bad commentator but he's a good journalist, his blog has been very good this season, I don't mind him doing the interviews.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Fair enough. I must admit he wasn't that bad and thankfully about 1000% less hyper than when he used to commentate.
Enrique Bernoldi

Would rather have James Allen than Jonathan bloody Legard...

right?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nice to see such a shift in balance, I think. The race was much more eventful and entertaining than a regular Hungarian GP, for sure.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:Would rather have James Allen than Jonathan bloody Legard...

right?

Definitely. I thought the ITV bunch were annoying, but between EJ and Jonathan "thad'll do" Legard, the BBC coverage is bordering on unwatchable. Martin's as good as ever, Jake is okay and David is worthy but dull - but the other two drive me up the wall. Eddie needs putting to sleep.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

For a moment, I thought everyone was going to drop KERS from a great height and we'd never see a victory by a car equipped with it. Even if it might have been an expensive confusion, KERS will have had a victory to its account. I like the idea.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Up to a few races ago, all the cars using KERS (Ferrari, McLaren and BMW) have been utter rubbish, and not just because of KERS. Now that 2 out of 3 (sorry BMW) have a decent performance, we start to see that KERS actually does give you a competitive advantage at the start and even during overtaking (Hamilton vs Webber today). If Ferrari and McLaren keep on working on it, I don't see why it can't be used again in 2010. New technologies (mini-skirts, turbo, semi-automatic gear, active suspensions) always need time and investments to be fully understood and exploited (and eventually banned by the FIA party-poopers).
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

noisebox wrote:I'm going to stick with one of my earlier predictions and go for a win for Lewis Hamilton...

You heard it here first... and I had Webber for a win in Germany. If only I was a gambler!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

muttley wrote:Up to a few races ago, all the cars using KERS (Ferrari, McLaren and BMW) have been utter rubbish, and not just because of KERS. Now that 2 out of 3 (sorry BMW) have a decent performance, we start to see that KERS actually does give you a competitive advantage at the start and even during overtaking (Hamilton vs Webber today). If Ferrari and McLaren keep on working on it, I don't see why it can't be used again in 2010. New technologies (mini-skirts, turbo, semi-automatic gear, active suspensions) always need time and investments to be fully understood and exploited (and eventually banned by the FIA party-poopers).

If someone tries to ban mini-skirts, all hell will break loose...
As for KERS, I have argued before that, in its present incarnation, it's not good enough to offset the disadvantage. I say double the power or double the time of usage.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
razta

Post by razta »

the other thing with the In-Season test ban, they really haven't be able to develop it as it could have been
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

razta wrote:the other thing with the In-Season test ban, they really haven't be able to develop it as it could have been

No doubt there.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I just remembered that I meant to mention this - on the BBC, while they were going over the grid they were playing this, kind of strange IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5tUVy3GzuQ&feature=related.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

shinji wrote:I just remembered that I meant to mention this - on the BBC, while they were going over the grid they were playing this, kind of strange IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5tUVy3GzuQ&feature=related.

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

Dammit. :evil:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Nuppiz wrote:
shinji wrote:I just remembered that I meant to mention this - on the BBC, while they were going over the grid they were playing this, kind of strange IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5tUVy3GzuQ&feature=related.

It's Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch

Basically uses a lot of wordplay around sexual acts (sorry, didn't really know what to say, and that just popped in to my head as it's always said on the news). "So put your hands down my pants and I bet you'll feel nuts".
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

shinji wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

It's Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch

Basically uses a lot of wordplay around sexual acts (sorry, didn't really know what to say, and that just popped in to my head as it's always said on the news). "So put your hands down my pants and I bet you'll feel nuts".

Well, that's quite strange... :)
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

What.... such an odd selection to play :lol:
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Coo

Post by Coo »

Haha, I noticed that too. Thank God they didn't use any of the lyric bits or else it would have drawn more complaints to the BBC than Sachsgate.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Just re-watching the GP now. What the hell was that Red Bull strategy for Webber? I reckon if they'd let him on the Super Softs at the first pit stop and fuelled him a bit lighter, he'd have come out in front of Raikkonen and not been overtaken by Rosberg. That means he might have gone after Hamilton - he did the fastest lap of the race close to the end, over 0.5 seconds faster than the second best lap overall, by Hamilton. He certainly lost second place, might have lost a win with that decision.

It looked a lot like Toyota in Bahrain, if I'm honest.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Bort

Post by Bort »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:Would rather have James Allen than Jonathan bloody Legard...

right?

Wrong.