The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
David AGS

Re: The GP2/GP3 Thread

Post by David AGS »

Sorry to break in debate, but just saw GP2 for Monaco in Speed channel (Foxtel 512) ON AUSTRALIAN TV..

Ok, many of you guys saying so what, but as far as I know GP2 has never been shown on Aussie TV.

But they showed Feature and Sprint Races. Good viewing!!!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Dan B wrote:- Idiocy aside, I am still watching that video. It seems that he has the racing line (which he shouldn't since his car is damaged and should have been pulled over), and then made one move to the left into Daly. Looking at it though that move still put him on the racing line. I do not know if Seranovich was actively trying to cause a collision, or of Daly was being too opportunistic.

Doesn't matter - either way, the crash wouldn't have happened if Suranovich realised that driving without a rear wing is a very, very, very bad idea.

Obviously. I'm just looking at the actual crash though, not the circumstances leading up to the crash. Yes, Seranovich should have been pulled over (and now there's debate on whether or not the black flag was legally shown), yes driving with no rear wing is dangerous, etc. But for the actual crash itself Seranovich was perfectly in the clear.

Granted this is the equivalent of driving a car with a tree trunk for wheels and the entire roof has caved in while abiding to traffic laws. And yes, what I think Seranovich did (by not pulling over) was very stupid.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100514
Teixeira's out with an 'illness', or so the team say. Either way, is this the beginning of the end for him?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100514
Teixeira's out with an 'illness', or so the team say. Either way, is this the beginning of the end for him?

I think he's got too much money to be out for long.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Backmarker wrote:

I think he's got too much money to be out for long.

"Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man...which all goes to Ricardo Teixeira."
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

More fallout from the Seranovich-Daly accident in Monaco. Daly is hit with a 10 spot grid penalty after being found hitting Seranovich's car twice (once removing the wing and the 2nd time flying into the catch fence).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100560
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dan B wrote:More fallout from the Seranovich-Daly accident in Monaco. Daly is hit with a 10 spot grid penalty after being found hitting Seranovich's car twice (once removing the wing and the 2nd time flying into the catch fence).

What a stupid, draconian penalty. I'd say the first incident was 50/50, but the second incident Seranovich was weaving all over the place. Bunch of numpties!

I wonder how many of the GP3 stewards were in action in F1 during the time when just putting a wheel off the race track got you a drive-through (2007-2009). Seriously, some of the shite they came out with during those years was unbelievable. They may as well have disqualified the entire field with the amount of penalties they'd usually dish out over a Sunday afternoon. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Dillmann was very nearly replaced by this De Jong fella (which I wasn't too happy about), and it's very interesting that Teixeira's illness has come now.

It could just be coincidence, though... :?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Dillmann was very nearly replaced by this De Jong fella (which I wasn't too happy about), and it's very interesting that Teixeira's illness has come now.

Hard to say how much money (which would be the deciding factor) de Jong has behind him. His father seems to have a bit of money, he's got some McGregor sponsorship (which is where vdG's money comes from), and a couple sponsors I don't recognise. His career so far's been pretty rubbish. If he's in GP2 next race I'll be surprised.
The Iceman Waiteth
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Backmarker wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Dillmann was very nearly replaced by this De Jong fella (which I wasn't too happy about), and it's very interesting that Teixeira's illness has come now.

Hard to say how much money (which would be the deciding factor) de Jong has behind him. His father seems to have a bit of money, he's got some McGregor sponsorship (which is where vdG's money comes from), and a couple sponsors I don't recognise. His career so far's been pretty rubbish. If he's in GP2 next race I'll be surprised.

I know the money's the deciding factor, but if Dillmann is replaced then the two Rapax cars would be firmly at the back of the grid. Dillmann consistently challenges for points whereas de Jong didn't look particularly good in the Valencia feature race and Teixeira is just quite useless.

Hard luck for Calado today, he was sure thing for that win today until the safety car came out.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Oh, first time I'm watching GP3 race and Da Costa does something stupid :(
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:
Dan B wrote:More fallout from the Seranovich-Daly accident in Monaco. Daly is hit with a 10 spot grid penalty after being found hitting Seranovich's car twice (once removing the wing and the 2nd time flying into the catch fence).

What a stupid, draconian penalty. I'd say the first incident was 50/50, but the second incident Seranovich was weaving all over the place. Bunch of numpties!

I wonder how many of the GP3 stewards were in action in F1 during the time when just putting a wheel off the race track got you a drive-through (2007-2009). Seriously, some of the shite they came out with during those years was unbelievable. They may as well have disqualified the entire field with the amount of penalties they'd usually dish out over a Sunday afternoon. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could potentially accept the verdict if the stewards were penalising Daly for the initial collision - it is true that Suranovich's rear wing only came off because Daly had run into the back of him - but to then put the blame for the accident that caused the race to be red flagged on Daly, even though Suranovich's driving was felt by many to have been the primary contributing factor, is a poor decision.

On another note, I see that Fabio Leimer has been criticising Gutierrez quite heavily for his driving in the feature race after the two made contact, allowing Gutierrez to pass Leimer (which was the second time that Gutierrez had made contact with a driver in that race - he also clipped van der Garde's car earlier in the race, putting both drivers off the track and costing van der Garde time in the process). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100658
I was wondering, can somebody find a video clip of those particular incidents? I was wondering whether Leimer's complaints of poor driving by Gutierrez are correct.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:I could potentially accept the verdict if the stewards were penalising Daly for the initial collision - it is true that Suranovich's rear wing only came off because Daly had run into the back of him - but to then put the blame for the accident that caused the race to be red flagged on Daly, even though Suranovich's driving was felt by many to have been the primary contributing factor, is a poor decision.

On another note, I see that Fabio Leimer has been criticising Gutierrez quite heavily for his driving in the feature race after the two made contact, allowing Gutierrez to pass Leimer (which was the second time that Gutierrez had made contact with a driver in that race - he also clipped van der Garde's car earlier in the race, putting both drivers off the track and costing van der Garde time in the process). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100658
I was wondering, can somebody find a video clip of those particular incidents? I was wondering whether Leimer's complaints of poor driving by Gutierrez are correct.

I can't find a video clip of either, I do remember the Gutierrez-Van der Garde incident; Gutierrez was stuck behind for a while and nudged the back of vdG's car, letting Leimer and Ericsson through. Leimer probably has a point, though.

In other news, both Barwa Addax drivers were excluded from the feature race for having each others' tyres on, and Valsecchi has been given a time penalty, earning Calado a reprieve as he's promoted to 8th and starts from pole tomorrow.

I am, however, able to find the Palmer-Crestani incident.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Jorda finishes 13th Image

If she actually does score a pt.... http://youtu.be/FWiyKgeGWx0

It'll be more disastrous to the world than Lebron James winning the NBA Championship
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Final few laps of GP2 sprint race... wow.

And we thought Valencia is boring.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Great last lap with that video. Two questions for the GP2 fans on here:

1. I see baby Lotus, Caterham and Marussia cars out there. Are they the 'junior' teams or have they just been heavily sponsored by the respective F1 teams?
2. I know they run on Pirelli like F1, but do they have KERS too? Or DRS? I didn't see a DRS flap in use...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

golic_2004 wrote:Jorda finishes 13th Image

If she actually does score a pt.... http://youtu.be/FWiyKgeGWx0

It'll be more disastrous to the world than Lebron James winning the NBA Championship

STOP STEALING MY VIDEO :lol:
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianSutil wrote:Great last lap with that video. Two questions for the GP2 fans on here:

1. I see baby Lotus, Caterham and Marussia cars out there. Are they the 'junior' teams or have they just been heavily sponsored by the respective F1 teams?
2. I know they run on Pirelli like F1, but do they have KERS too? Or DRS? I didn't see a DRS flap in use...

1. The Lotus car is essentially the ART team, it's just sponsored by Lotus. Marussia support Carlin in GP2, and Tony Fernandes started the Caterham team last season (as Team AirAsia) so isn't wholly affiliated with the F1 team, just under the same ownership umbrella.

2. No KERS or DRS, the main differentiation during the race comes from tyres, driver skill and team expertise as the Dallara-Mecachrome package is used by all teams (the reason why DAMS are usually at the top and why Ocean are useless.)

Despite results not going Calado's way this weekend, I've been quite impressed by him. Nice to see Razia close in on Valsecchi as well to keep things tight at the top.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Great last lap with that video. Two questions for the GP2 fans on here:

1. The Lotus car is essentially the ART team, it's just sponsored by Lotus. Marussia support Carlin in GP2, and Tony Fernandes started the Caterham team last season (as Team AirAsia) so isn't wholly affiliated with the F1 team, just under the same ownership umbrella.

Manor Motorsport (who Marussia essentially are) do run cars in a number of other categories, and they all run matching liveries too.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wizzie wrote:Bad news everybody. Coloni are leaving GP2 at the end of the year

"Coloni will forfeit all points"

What for? We see teams leave all the time and we don't see them handing over all the points! Please tell me something I don't know... :|
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

What for? We see teams leave all the time and we don't see them handing over all the points! Please tell me something I don't know... :|

It seems very strange that a "disagreement" whatever that might be would have sporting implication, if they havn't broken any regulations it sounds like the sort of thing one could go to court over.

Perhaps they talking about points in regards prize money, do they have anything like that in GP2?
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

Maybe Enzo wanted to sell his team to Andrea Sassetti again? Seriously I have no idea what's happened. I think the no points thing is a way to avoid them getting prize money at the end of the season and leaving with it.
The Iceman Waiteth
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Backmarker wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

Maybe Enzo wanted to sell his team to Andrea Sassetti again? Seriously I have no idea what's happened. I think the no points thing is a way to avoid them getting prize money at the end of the season and leaving with it.

Damnit, you stole my joke here! :lol:
MIA SAN MIA!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

My money's on a disagreement over the future direction of AutoGP - Coloni builds the cars for that doesn't it, and they're thinking of bringing a new chassis out for it soon aren't they?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AndreaModa wrote:My money's on a disagreement over the future direction of AutoGP - Coloni builds the cars for that doesn't it, and they're thinking of bringing a new chassis out for it soon aren't they?

Lola built the current chassis, but Coloni run the championship.
The Iceman Waiteth
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Backmarker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:My money's on a disagreement over the future direction of AutoGP - Coloni builds the cars for that doesn't it, and they're thinking of bringing a new chassis out for it soon aren't they?

Lola built the current chassis, but Coloni run the championship.

But I was under the impression that Coloni would be building the new chassis they want to bring out in the next couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong, I can't be certain anyway.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Tom Dillmann replaced by Daniel De Jong.

De Jong bins it DURING the first safety car period.

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Jorda became the first GP3 driver to DNQ in the series history.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Massively impressed by Robert Visiou at the moment. GP3 might be dominated by Evans and Vainio and da Costa at the moment, but looking at Visiou's form guide, he's made up positions in every race this year. Even when he retired in Valencia. He was mighty on a drying circuit yesterday, so I think he's a superstar of the future.

And they say Romanians can't drive.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

AndreaModa wrote:But I was under the impression that Coloni would be building the new chassis they want to bring out in the next couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong, I can't be certain anyway.

Wasn't there an interview at Autosport Plus with the series boss saying that there is a new car for AutoGP in 2013?
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The Speed broadcast of this weekend's GP 2 race referred to it as a "breach of contract" but added no details.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:But I was under the impression that Coloni would be building the new chassis they want to bring out in the next couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong, I can't be certain anyway.

Wasn't there an interview at Autosport Plus with the series boss saying that there is a new car for AutoGP in 2013?

I wouldn't know as I'm not a Plus subscriber, but I know they're planning to bring out a new car, hence why I reckon GP2 aren't happy about it, especially when you consider the saturated nature of the feeder categories at the moment, and each one populated heavily with pay drivers, it's not doing GP2's image any good at all. Ideally they probably want AutoGP, F2, and maybe even FR3.5 to piss off, and leave them as the undisputed second tier in open wheel motorsport underneath F1.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Captain Hammer wrote:Massively impressed by Robert Visiou at the moment. GP3 might be dominated by Evans and Vainio and da Costa at the moment, but looking at Visiou's form guide, he's made up positions in every race this year. Even when he retired in Valencia. He was mighty on a drying circuit yesterday, so I think he's a superstar of the future.

And they say Romanians can't drive.

Don't forget Mihai Marinescu is a good driver. I dunno how he hasn't been given a GP2 ride (outside of the Abu Dhabi) and Michael Herck was.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

golic_2004 wrote:Don't forget Mihai Marinescu is a good driver. I dunno how he hasn't been given a GP2 ride (outside of the Abu Dhabi) and Michael Herck was.

It's quite obvious really.

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

golic_2004 wrote:Don't forget Mihai Marinescu is a good driver. I dunno how he hasn't been given a GP2 ride (outside of the Abu Dhabi) and Michael Herck was.

Marinescu was horrible at the GP2 final.

Speaking of eastern Europeans, what happened to Kazim Vasiliauskas? He was doing really quite well in Formula 2, and I thought he was one of the few drivers who might be able to make the transition into Formula 1 ... but then he just stopped.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:Speaking of eastern Europeans, what happened to Kazim Vasiliauskas? He was doing really quite well in Formula 2, and I thought he was one of the few drivers who might be able to make the transition into Formula 1 ... but then he just stopped.

He couldn't find any sponsorship to progress beyond F2, and eventually gave up racing as a result. Studying law now apparently. http://sportas.delfi.lt/motorsport/apie ... d=55255501
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

kostas22 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Speaking of eastern Europeans, what happened to Kazim Vasiliauskas? He was doing really quite well in Formula 2, and I thought he was one of the few drivers who might be able to make the transition into Formula 1 ... but then he just stopped.

He couldn't find any sponsorship to progress beyond F2, and eventually gave up racing as a result. Studying law now apparently. http://sportas.delfi.lt/motorsport/apie ... d=55255501

That's a shame, I wanted him to make it to F1. (I am 25% Lithuanian)
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Teixeira was entertainingly rejectful: got a drive-through penalty for ignoring blue flags but stayed out, getting black-flagged. :lol:

Great drive from Cecotto after a strategic gamble (starting on slicks while most drivers had wet tires). In my opinion, the man of the race was Stéphane Richelmi who got his first podium, having started from the pitlane (with a similar strategy to Cecotto).