Possible updates to "Hall of Shame"

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
James1978

Possible updates to "Hall of Shame"

Post by James1978 »

I was having a look through the Hall Of Shame last night and was thinking could there me any possible new contenders in there, since there don;t appear to be many entries in there since 2000!

Here's some I was thinking

Nelson Piquet Jr for "You Lucky B******d" (though did he scrape enough other points finishes in 2008 not to need his flukey safety-car induced 2nd at Hockenheim?)
Michael Schumacher for "Hang Up The Keys" for his comeback this year (unless he stays on next year and improves greatly)
Alonso and Hamilton 2007 for "Punch and Judy" (possibly Webber and Vettel could be in this too!)
USA 2006 for "Panelbeatears Alert"
Lewis Hamilton for China 2007 and Canada 2008 for "Severe Brainfade"
Trulli on Sutil for "Watch your Ear", Brazil 2009 (I agree that it was totally Trulli's fault though!) :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
tc3j3r

Re: Possible updates to "Hall of Shame"

Post by tc3j3r »

James1978 wrote:Nelson Piquet Jr for "You Lucky B******d" (though did he scrape enough other points finishes in 2008 not to need his flukey safety-car induced 2nd at Hockenheim?)

Yes, he had a 4th in Fuji. (and a 6th in Hungary, but that wasn't needed). I still think he'd be a worthwile addition though.

How about Jacques Villeneuve for Hang Up the Keys?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Maybe we could use the F1 Rejects Wiki to throw together a draft or two. Just a suggestion.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Maybe we could use the F1 Rejects Wiki to throw together a draft or two. Just a suggestion.

:lol:
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Maybe we could use the F1 Rejects Wiki to throw together a draft or two. Just a suggestion.

Emphasis on the "Rejects" part...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Does it still exist?
No-one has credited me for my Danny Ongais profile yet :(
James1978

Post by James1978 »

tc3j3r wrote:
James1978 wrote:Nelson Piquet Jr for "You Lucky B******d" (though did he scrape enough other points finishes in 2008 not to need his flukey safety-car induced 2nd at Hockenheim?)

Yes, he had a 4th in Fuji. (and a 6th in Hungary, but that wasn't needed). I still think he'd be a worthwile addition though.

Actually I thought Villeneuve was doing OK in 2006 before BMW gave him the shove.......
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Maybe we should have a new section called "Murphy's Law" for the times where people just have races from hell (Webber in Japan last year and Europe this year spring to mind)

And I have to throw Sebastian Vettel's name in the ring for the "Severe Brain Fade' category for running into the back of Webber in Japan 07
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

James1978 wrote:
tc3j3r wrote:

Actually I thought Villeneuve was doing OK in 2006 before BMW gave him the shove.......

True, but 01-05 were all hopeless for him. His decision to come back after 03 was one of the most puzzling I have ever seen. But what really clinches it is that he is STLL trying to make a comeback...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I've gotten to work on the new "Murphy's Law" section of the Hall of Shame. Any more suggestions in addition to the two I've already mentioned?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Wizzie wrote:I've gotten to work on the new "Murphy's Law" section of the Hall of Shame. Any more suggestions in addition to the two I've already mentioned?

Team Amon. If it couldn't break, it would anyway.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Wizzie wrote:I've gotten to work on the new "Murphy's Law" section of the Hall of Shame. Any more suggestions in addition to the two I've already mentioned?

Michael Schumacher in China 2004? Felipe Massa in Hungary 2007?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tc3j3r wrote:Michael Schumacher in China 2004?

Sounds like a great one to use. I'll add that to the list tomorrow

Felipe Massa in Hungary 2007?

This was the race where the engine went BANG 3 laps from the end right? If so then it doesn't really qualify as this looks more on the weekend as a whole.

RejectSteve wrote:Team Amon. If it couldn't break, it would anyway.

The award is for a specific driver at a specific race.

If we had an award called "WMD to be found here" that, the McLaren MP4/19 and MP4/20 and some of Red Bull's creations would certainly qualify
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Wizzie wrote:

This was the race where the engine went BANG 3 laps from the end right? If so then it doesn't really qualify as this looks more on the weekend as a whole.

No, Hungary 2007 was the race where he qualified 14th, spent half the race running behind Sato's Super Aguri and finished a lapped 13th... ;)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tc3j3r wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

No, Hungary 2007 was the race where he qualified 14th, spent half the race running behind Sato's Super Aguri and finished a lapped 13th... ;)

Ah... it was Hungary 08 where the engine went bang...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I've added Schumi - China 04 to the list.

Any others I should do?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Salo in Hungary '99 (similar to Massa in '07) - he was running amongst Arrows and Minardis when his teammate Irvine at least came 3rd!

Ralf in Japan 2003 would be a good one too!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

tc3j3r wrote:

What about Honda's entire existence from 2007-2008? I heard that Jenson Button said one of the Hondas from those years was so bad that no matter what they did to it, it just created a lot more drag... and if that's not Murphy's Law...

Chico Serra v. Raul Boesel, Canada, 1982. That's what belongs in the "Watch Your Ear!" section, not crap like Trulli v. Sutil in Brazil, 2009.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Cynon wrote:What about Honda's entire existence from 2007-2008? I heard that Jenson Button said one of the Hondas from those years was so bad that no matter what they did to it, it just created a lot more drag... and if that's not Murphy's Law...

I thought about adding it to the category but then it would break the criteria which states: "Awarded to a driver who on a certain weekend had an average start and just went downhill from there."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I've made a few additions to the section. Next up will be probably the additions of some or all of the following:
David Coulthard - Spa 98
Fernando Alonso - Canada 07
Juan Pablo Montoya - USA 03
Eddie Irvine/Mika Hakkinen - Europe 99
Luca Badoer - Europe 09
Nico Hulkenberg/Rubens Barrichello - Monaco 10
Vitaly Petrov - Canada 10
Mark Webber - Malaysia 04

Discuss
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Which race was it in 2004 where Webber was being burned by something on the car, was it Malaysia? That one definitely should be on!

Also Damon Hill, Australia 1997. :)
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:
tc3j3r wrote:

What about Honda's entire existence from 2007-2008? I heard that Jenson Button said one of the Hondas from those years was so bad that no matter what they did to it, it just created a lot more drag... and if that's not Murphy's Law...

Chico Serra v. Raul Boesel, Canada, 1982. That's what belongs in the "Watch Your Ear!" section, not crap like Trulli v. Sutil in Brazil, 2009.

The 2007, and to a lesser extent. the 2008 Honda had some strange quirks. Normally, when you increase the angle of attack of the front wing elements, you increase the downforce, along with the drag, up until you reach the point where the wing stalls and the airflow separates from the wing. However, Button revealed that the RA107 had a very strange quirk - if you increased the front wing beyond a certain point, even though the wing had not stalled, the downforce at the front started to decrease - but, as a double whammy, the drag still increased. I think that the RA108 suffered from the same problem in testing, but I believe that they changed the front wing design for the first GP, and that solved the problem for the rest of the season.

Thinking about it, when Brawn took over the team and axed a load of staff, it was only really the engine division which he axed last year (because of the works deal with Mercedes), whilst a few more people have gone this year as part of the Mercedes takeover. Still, you wonder how many of those who were behind the RA 107 and RA108 - which can politely be called junk - are still at Mercedes now (and may partially explain why Mercedes are, frankly, underperforming).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I've thought about a new section, called Breaking the bank, about teams that poured a lot of money into their respective operations...for barely anything. We would have Toyota, Jaguar and Ligier in the top 3, but you can make more suggestions.
And another one called Medal of honor for those who failed to win a race or a championship on their careers because of bizarre circumstances, bad luck, brain fade, etc. The candidates could be Stirling Moss, Chris Amon, Jean Pierre Jarier, and some more. What do you think?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

James1978 wrote:Which race was it in 2004 where Webber was being burned by something on the car, was it Malaysia? That one definitely should be on!

I'm pretty sure that was either France or Japan. Malaysia was the race where he dragged that crapbox of a Jaguar on the front row then got into all sorts of problems during the race.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Wizzie wrote:
James1978 wrote:Which race was it in 2004 where Webber was being burned by something on the car, was it Malaysia? That one definitely should be on!

I'm pretty sure that was either France or Japan. Malaysia was the race where he dragged that crapbox of a Jaguar on the front row then got into all sorts of problems during the race.

I've looked it up - it was Japan 2004 when he drove for Jaguar and retired, and worse, in France 2005 when he was in a Williams. On that occasion he had to continue in more and more pain, as if he'd retired it would have screwed his qualifying for the next race due to that silly rule where the people who retire from the previous race have to go out first on a dirty track (one the sillest rules ever if you ask me!) :)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

James1978 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

I've looked it up - it was Japan 2004 when he drove for Jaguar and retired, and worse, in France 2005 when he was in a Williams. On that occasion he had to continue in more and more pain, as if he'd retired it would have screwed his qualifying for the next race due to that silly rule where the people who retire from the previous race have to go out first on a dirty track (one the sillest rules ever if you ask me!) :)

2005 had all sorts of silly rules if you ask me
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Subliminal spam is subliminal
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

A "Murphy's Law" candidate would be Coulthard getting stuck behind Bernoldi at Monaco 2001.

Roberto Moreno should be a "Medal of Honour" candidate!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

An obvious "Medal Of Honour" candidate would be Niki Lauda for Fuji 1976. And Damon Hill for his performance in the Arrows in Hungary 1996 (Arrows never won a race).
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Yannick wrote:An obvious "Medal Of Honour" candidate would be Niki Lauda for Fuji 1976. And Damon Hill for his performance in the Arrows in Hungary 1996 (Arrows never won a race).

It was in 1997, actually.
For the Murphy's Law section, what about Jean Alesi? He drove for Tyrrell well after their good times, then for Ferrari just when their form sagged, then to Benetton after the departure of Brawn and Byrne, for Sauber on so-so years, onto Prost on their worst season ever and in 2001 when they were near bankrupcy and finally for Jordan when they were in decline. And he was involved in a silly way on an accident with Räikkönen on his departure race. Not to mention the opportunities of victory he lost due to unreliability. And a nomination to the Severe brain fade podium for running out of fuel in Australia in 1997 after forgetting to pit.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:
Yannick wrote:An obvious "Medal Of Honour" candidate would be Niki Lauda for Fuji 1976. And Damon Hill for his performance in the Arrows in Hungary 1996 (Arrows never won a race).

For the Murphy's Law section, what about Jean Alesi? He drove for Tyrrell well after their good times, then for Ferrari just when their form sagged, then to Benetton after the departure of Brawn and Byrne, for Sauber on so-so years, onto Prost on their worst season ever and in 2001 when they were near bankrupcy and finally for Jordan when they were in decline. And he was involved in a silly way on an accident with Räikkönen on his departure race. Not to mention the opportunities of victory he lost due to unreliability. And a nomination to the Severe brain fade podium for running out of fuel in Australia in 1997 after forgetting to pit.

Alesi would be a prime candidate but I need specific races to meet the critera I set out
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Wizzie wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Alesi would be a prime candidate but I need specific races to meet the critera I set out

Then it has to be his 2000.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I think some kind of "crash corner" award should be there. A race with many drivers crashing out in the same race in the same corner in separate incidents.

- Monaco 2000, Ste Devote (Wurz, Mazzacane, Diniz, R Schumacher, Zonta and Frentzen)
- Brazil 2003, Curva do Sol (Wilson, Pizzonia, Montoya, M Schumacher, Button, Verstappen)

I think there was some corner in mid 1980s US Street circuits to fit that as well.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Bleu wrote:I think some kind of "crash corner" award should be there. A race with many drivers crashing out in the same race in the same corner in separate incidents.

- Monaco 2000, Ste Devote (Wurz, Mazzacane, Diniz, R Schumacher, Zonta and Frentzen)
- Brazil 2003, Curva do Sol (Wilson, Pizzonia, Montoya, M Schumacher, Button, Verstappen)

I think there was some corner in mid 1980s US Street circuits to fit that as well.

Another candidate:
Europe 2007: Castrol-S (Hamilton*, Button, Sutil, Rosberg, Speed, Liuzzi and Davidson*)
You also forgot to mention Webber* for Brazil 2003

* Didn't retire as a result of their excursion
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wizzie wrote:
Bleu wrote:I think some kind of "crash corner" award should be there. A race with many drivers crashing out in the same race in the same corner in separate incidents.

Another candidate:
Europe 2007: Castrol-S (Hamilton*, Button, Sutil, Rosberg, Speed, Liuzzi and Davidson*)
You also forgot to mention Webber* for Brazil 2003

* Didn't retire as a result of their excursion

Canada's Wall of Champions (1999)- Villeneuve, Zonta, Hill and Schumacher at least, probably others as well.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Eau Rouge - for Zonta and Villeneuve in the BARs.
Whatever this corner is - 1975
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:Whatever this corner is - 1975

Looks like Stowe to me.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
watka wrote:Whatever this corner is - 1975

Looks like Stowe to me.

Woodcote, I think.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Possibly not Woodcote...that was one of the years they had the Chicane. Also not "built up" enough (stands pits etc).
Mainly Stowe; if I remember rightly, it was bucketing at the far side of the circuit whereas the pits straight was relatively dry. There is one shot from Club I think looking back toward Stowe with the the Stowe Grandstand obscured by rain. My memory of the race, however, is that cars were falling off more or less everywhere.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Its Club corner, you can see Abbey in the background, well, those who remember abbey without it being a chicane.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989