Bahrain to go back to old layout for 2011

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Bahrain to go back to old layout for 2011

Post by CarlosFerreira »

After this year's dismal show, the organizers rightly decided that sending F1 cars into a supermarket car park makes no sense:

However, organisers announced on Monday that the 2011 race will take place in the original layout which has hosted the grand prix since 2004.

The layout used this year made the track longer and slower, with its length increased from 5.412km to 6.299km.

Sense prevails...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bahrain to go back to old layout for 2011

Post by shinji »

As Tobias Funke would say, Huzzah!

Why they changed it in the first place, I doubt even they know.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Good choice, I guess. Although honestly I would have prefered if they had changed the outer course a bit to gain a FIA A license for it and use that one for the track, because to me, it looks quite promising.

thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Klon wrote:Good choice, I guess. Although honestly I would have prefered if they had changed the outer course a bit to gain a FIA A license for it and use that one for the track, because to me, it looks quite promising.

The only problem is, it has no important left-hand corners to speak of.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Klon wrote:Good choice, I guess. Although honestly I would have prefered if they had changed the outer course a bit to gain a FIA A license for it and use that one for the track, because to me, it looks quite promising.

The only problem is, it has no important left-hand corners to speak of.

Would that be a problem though? It would certainly spice up the action a little and give the drivers a challenge in tyre management, especially when negotiating the left turns on the track, much like motorcycles which have to adapt to the different sides of a tyre on a circuit with predominatly one type of corner. Plus with those straights, and the much reduced downforce next year, think of the slip-streaming that would be going on! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

That's a GREAT idea. And considering its in the middle of the desert, there is nothing to hit! PERFECT!
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Two words: Mickey - Mouse.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Phoenix wrote:Image

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mickey mouse-term referring to something very twisty and/or excessively confined. After all, I have this distinctive memory of said term applied to tracks like Caesars Palace and the Bugatti Circuit...
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DonTirri wrote:

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mickey mouse-term referring to something very twisty and/or excessively confined. After all, I have this distinctive memory of said term applied to tracks like Caesars Palace and the Bugatti Circuit...

Could be. I've always associated it to silly circuits.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Huzzah! Common sense finally prevails.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Phoenix wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

Could be. I've always associated it to silly circuits.

Small, tight and twisty circuits are mickey mouse circuits ;)
Waris

Post by Waris »

Where does that usage of the term, "Mickey Mouse", come from actually? The other day, I was wondering about it. What do those circuits have to do with Mickey Mouse? (And, if anyone knows, who came up with this term?)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Waris wrote:Where does that usage of the term, "Mickey Mouse", come from actually? The other day, I was wondering about it. What do those circuits have to do with Mickey Mouse? (And, if anyone knows, who came up with this term?)

It's a byword for "squiggly". I think the camouflage British Army vehicles displayed during the Africa campaign in WWII was already described as "Mickey Mouse".
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Waris wrote:Where does that usage of the term, "Mickey Mouse", come from actually? The other day, I was wondering about it. What do those circuits have to do with Mickey Mouse? (And, if anyone knows, who came up with this term?)

It's a byword for "squiggly". I think the camouflage British Army vehicles displayed during the Africa campaign in WWII was already described as "Mickey Mouse".

It's long been a byword for anything a bit poor. Andrea Mickey Mouse for example. But not just in Motor Racing.

(& here we have a Portuguese man explaining English colloquialisms to somebody from Amsterdam. Only on Rejects!) :) 8-)

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=105282

1,000 posts.
Last edited by eagleash on 17 Aug 2010, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

It's long been a byword for anything a bit poor. Andrea Mickey Mouse for example. But not just in Motor Racing.

(& here we have a Portuguese man explaining English colloquialisms to somebody from Amsterdam. Only on Rejects!) :) 8-)

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=105282

Eagle Ash's 1000th post. Brilliant. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

When people refer to mickey mouse sections on circuits they mean bits which add nothing to the racing, are just there for no particular reason other than to make the drivers turn one way then the other, almost as if the track designer is taking the mickey out of them.

That Bahrain outer circuit would be high speed and devoid of such bits, so not what I'd have thought of as that. I'd happily see them try stuff to improve Bahrain, but I think the best thing might be for them to leave and go to a racetrack in a country that has formula 1 fans.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Eagle Ash's 1000th post. Brilliant. :D

I thank you. Original post edited by me,to note, before I read that.

1001.....the slogan was "Cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown" (2/6d or 12.5p)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Many thanks for all the explanations, though Eagleash's link seems to back up my theory a bit ;)
From "Stewart’s Corner: Buzzwords"
"Mickey Mouse
This is an AE [American English] expression that means something is
simple or idiotic. Mickey Mouse is sometimes abbreviated to MM. When
somebody is said to be running a Mickey Mouse operation, it is a
negative term about a company, a government or the state of a national
economy."
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Phoenix wrote:Many thanks for all the explanations, though Eagleash's link seems to back up my theory a bit ;)
From "Stewart’s Corner: Buzzwords"
"Mickey Mouse
This is an AE [American English] expression that means something is
simple or idiotic. Mickey Mouse is sometimes abbreviated to MM. When
somebody is said to be running a Mickey Mouse operation, it is a
negative term about a company, a government or the state of a national
economy."

"Stewart's Corner" which track is that on? Named after the "Scottish Lady"?
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

I always took Mickey Mouse to mean overly tight and twisty.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

THIS is a Mickey Mouse track...
Walt Disney World Speedway, Florida. It's even hosted IndyCar and NASCAR races in the past.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

kostas22 wrote:THIS is a Mickey Mouse track...
Walt Disney World Speedway, Florida. It's even hosted IndyCar and NASCAR races in the past.

:lol:
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

IdeFan wrote:I always took Mickey Mouse to mean overly tight and twisty.

Likewise. Mainly stemming from the fact that I've heard Rally Super Special Stages* (y'know, the silly head to heads in VERY confined spaces) referred to as "Mikki Hiiri pätkä" or "Mickey Mouse stage" since I was old enough to actually understand a thing about rally. And if THOSE ain't overly tight and twisty, then I don't know what is.

*Or whatever you call them, they were Super Special Stages in Colin McRae Rally so that's good enough for me *shakes fist*
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DonTirri wrote:
IdeFan wrote:I always took Mickey Mouse to mean overly tight and twisty.

Likewise. Mainly stemming from the fact that I've heard Rally Super Special Stages* (y'know, the silly head to heads in VERY confined spaces) referred to as "Mikki Hiiri pätkä" or "Mickey Mouse stage" since I was old enough to actually understand a thing about rally. And if THOSE ain't overly tight and twisty, then I don't know what is.

*Or whatever you call them, they were Super Special Stages in Colin McRae Rally so that's good enough for me *shakes fist*

Hagfors Sprint in Sweden basically defines Mikki Hiiri pätkä [or rather its Swedish equivalent].
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The outer course for Bahrain reminds me more of an oval, and if everyone's saying "imagine the slipstreaming", I say, why not just go the whole way and run...

The green part.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Cynon wrote:The outer course for Bahrain reminds me more of an oval, and if everyone's saying "imagine the slipstreaming", I say, why not just go the whole way and run...

The green part.

Why so difficult, the track already has an oval in it... :mrgreen:
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:The outer course for Bahrain reminds me more of an oval, and if everyone's saying "imagine the slipstreaming", I say, why not just go the whole way and run...

The green part.

Of all people in this forum, you should know that Pocono should never be created again.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

thehemogoblin wrote:

The green part.

Of all people in this forum, you should know that Pocono should never be created again.

*Insert series of self-directed expletives here*

Well, I made the turns really really sharp so that you'd have to mash the hell out of the brakes...

I do like the idea of an oval in Bahrain though, especially that... ... incorrectly-labelled-"6"-turn-one.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

thehemogoblin wrote:

The green part.

HOW IS THAT LIKE POCONO.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

F1000X wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

The green part.

HOW IS THAT LIKE POCONO.

IT'S TRIANGULAR?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

kostas22 wrote:Hagfors Sprint in Sweden basically defines Mikki Hiiri pätkä [or rather its Swedish equivalent].

Musse Pigg Specialsträcka :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

Looking at the mirror image of that track, the lower half of the track looks quite similar to the lower half of the A1-Ring as of circa 2003
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The old layout was not a classic, but it sure as hell beats the one this year. We at least have an overtaking spot back.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

redbulljack14 wrote:The old layout was not a classic, but it sure as hell beats the one this year. We at least have an overtaking spot back.

Um, which one did we lose? Turn four? That's always been an overtaking spot.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

It's a wise decision to go back to the previous layout. The perimeter circuit would be something, though.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

How about dropping Bahrain all together? It's a stupid circuit, Magny-Cours or even Imola would be a better choice...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

JeremyMcClean wrote:How about dropping Bahrain all together? It's a stupid circuit, Magny-Cours or even Imola would be a better choice...

You do get that Bahrain pays many many moneys to dear Bernie so that they can hold the race, yes?

Magny-Cours and Imola? Poverty-stricken by comparison. Not great tracks either, so I wouldn't be particularly excited about either returning.

Anyway, Yuji Ide made his debut at Bahrain, so it's forever in my heart for that.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

shinji wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:How about dropping Bahrain all together? It's a stupid circuit, Magny-Cours or even Imola would be a better choice...

You do get that Bahrain pays many many moneys to dear Bernie so that they can hold the race, yes?

Magny-Cours and Imola? Poverty-stricken by comparison. Not great tracks either, so I wouldn't be particularly excited about either returning.

Anyway, Yuji Ide made his debut at Bahrain, so it's forever in my heart for that.

Are you on Bernie's side? I was saying that Magny-Cours and Imola were better tracks than Bahrain. I'm sure the FIA can think of something better. On second thought, I think they'll hire Tilke for a re-jig of the Adelaide circuit and see where that turns up 10 years later.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
shinji wrote:

Are you on Bernie's side? I was saying that Magny-Cours and Imola were better tracks than Bahrain. I'm sure the FIA can think of something better. On second thought, I think they'll hire Tilke for a re-jig of the Adelaide circuit and see where that turns up 10 years later.

Shinji is right on the money. Plus, they're proper petrolheads in Bahrain. I reckon Bahrain's not an awful circuit, especially now the Mickey Mouse part is getting dropped.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Imola wasn't at all a bad circuit until "you know when". Fast, dangerous & the last few laps of 1982 showed what good racing it could provide.

It goes without saying that I dislike most of the newer tracks. But I said it anyway. Most seem to lack character & are all too alike.
Last edited by eagleash on 22 Aug 2010, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.