Best Formula 1 Liveries

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
danardif1

Re: Best Formula 1 Liveries

Post by danardif1 »

I like both versions of the Ligier JS39

KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

The RAM 03 wasn't bad either.

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Undoubtedly the best of the Reanult Mild Seven liveries...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Geez, that picture remembers me how awful did the cars look on grooved tyres.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The 1992 Lotus livery (seen in the 107) was beautiful, as well as the car itself.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Phoenix wrote:Image
The 1992 Lotus livery (seen in the 107) was beautiful, as well as the car itself.

There's a massive CASTROL branding missing from that engine cover.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Eddie Cheever
1989 Arrows-Ford

Gone are the days of putting less sponsors on the car making them look cleaner.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

ADx_Wales wrote:Gone are the days of putting less sponsors on the car making them look cleaner.

Hmm I wouldn't say that, take a look at the McLaren and to a lesser extent the Ferrari too. Carefully placed, not too obtrusive decals particularly on the McLaren where the black writing on the engine cover doesn't detract too much from the silver makes the car look really quite good in my opinion.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Wizzie wrote:My nominations:

Arrows A23

The Jordan in that picture also looks pretty sharp. What ever happened to distinctive liveries?

100% agree with the Arrows! Monaco 2002 was my first race with Arrows, so it's extra special to me.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Cynon wrote:Not sure if I said this in this thread already, but I love this season's Renault livery. Screw the "tradition" crap, I just really like the yellow and black "Killer Bee" livery.

Remember that one-off livery they had in 2007 at Silverstone? I may be wrong about the year and race, but that looked really good.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Faustus wrote:
Cynon wrote:Not sure if I said this in this thread already, but I love this season's Renault livery. Screw the "tradition" crap, I just really like the yellow and black "Killer Bee" livery.

Remember that one-off livery they had in 2007 at Silverstone? I may be wrong about the year and race, but that looked really good.

Didn't race, unless I'm mistaken.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Oh my...now THAT is a scheme! Just shows how much the red Total areas ruin the overall look. Looks like there's more black on that special edition than the current scheme too, which is something else the team should consider for 2011.

Love it! :D

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Waris

Post by Waris »

kostas22 wrote:
Waris wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:If I Recall...

...The First BAR could have run with seperate liveries, but the teams disapproved of it on a vote, dont know which ones decided against it, maybe it was all of them.

I have a feeling that they were concerned that it would open the floodgates and then ALL the teams would have seperate sponsors for each car.

I don't get it. Didn't Larrousse have two different liveries in 1994? If I recall correctly, one was only used for one race, and nothing bad came of it. They should make the rule that both cars must be the same livery, but you can alternate between two liveries for a minority of the races, say 5 races out of 19.

The BAR plan was having Jacques in the Luckies car and Zonta in a blue 555 car. But the FIA didn't allow it, hence the half 'n' half scheme.

Yes, but what I meant was they should have allowed them to alternate between liveries, with both cars running the same livery.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Larrousse had that red/white car in three races: Aida, Imola and Monaco. I think Kronenbourg had some kind of campaign at that time - they were also sponsoring in the tragic Imola race, as seen in this shot from the podium.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Probably not suited for the forum, but I'm intrigued to know which liveries you thought were best! Rejects and Non-Rejects accepted! ;)

Midland M16

And many more, but I'm sure I've wreaked havoc on slow internet connections, therefore I shall stop posting pics! :D

That livery is butt ugly!

Some of my favourites:

Brabham BT49

Lotus 99T

North American Racing Team Ferrari 158

Tyrrell 007

Ligier JS43

Arrows A1

Williams FW09
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Anyone else missing the original Force India paint scheme?
The Ligier JS17 may have been uncompetitive, but it was gorgeous, in my opinion
The shades of green of the Williams FW07 were also very good looking
But the best of all is...undoubtedly...the Brabham BT45. Oh men wasn't that car spectacular...
Last edited by Phoenix on 04 Sep 2010, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:Anyone else missing the original Force India paint scheme?

To put it simply: No.

I quite prefer the new Force India livery myself.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wizzie wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Anyone else missing the original Force India paint scheme?

To put it simply: No.

I quite prefer the new Force India livery myself.

Indeed. That original livery was horrid, I was so glad when they changed it.
Having said that, the new one is in danger of becoming bland after two years. It could use some updates, but which? Any ideas? I think more green would be good, but then again, I'm terribly biased towards that colour.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

I'm assuming this thread extends to liveries outside of F1.

There was a video for the 1988 British Formula 3 season, and on the cover was one of the Cellnet sponsored Intersport cars, It had the number 4 on the nose, and I really cannot remember who drove it.

But that colour scheme was really striking. Mostly Blue, with red and yellow in places, with white trim. Much like the Mastercard Lola....only better.

Cannot find a shot of it anywhere, can find the 1987 and 1989 versions of the car (89 driven by no less a man than Vincenzo Sospiri for a couple of races), but not 1988.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

ADx_Wales wrote:I'm assuming this thread extends to liveries outside of F1.

There was a video for the 1988 British Formula 3 season, and on the cover was one of the Cellnet sponsored Intersport cars, It had the number 4 on the nose, and I really cannot remember who drove it.

But that colour scheme was really striking. Mostly Blue, with red and yellow in places, with white trim. Much like the Mastercard Lola....only better.

Cannot find a shot of it anywhere, can find the 1987 and 1989 versions of the car (89 driven by no less a man than Vincenzo Sospiri for a couple of races), but not 1988.

I assume this is the car you are looking for:

Driven by Damon Hill

And I can only assume that Jenson Button drove for the same team later along the line judging by this livery:
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

I dont think Intersport lasted after 1989, Cellnet kind of demanded what drivers got selected, hence Vincenzo Sospiri, who was a Formula 3 Paydriver of all things!!! Intersport were demanded by Cellent for him to appear at all the venues that would have TV coverage back then, Intersport decided to revolt against this, roped in a Brazilian called Paolo Carcasi, who was also pants, Damon Hill was also recalled for 2 of the races, and did not do well either. I dont think Intersport appeared after that.

The Jenson Button car may look the same, I severely doubt its the same team.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Why oh why has no-one posted the Lotus 72 in JPS black and gold yet?

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I must say I love the bright orange Beta March's of the early 70s, especially with those huge scoops for front wings, they looked awesome! :D

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Waris

Post by Waris »

AndreaModa wrote:I must say I love the bright orange Beta March's of the early 70s, especially with those huge scoops for front wings, they looked awesome! :D

Yes, and notice also how there are only two sponsors on that car! Man, I love simple, non-cluttered liveries.
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

ADx_Wales wrote:I dont think Intersport lasted after 1989, Cellnet kind of demanded what drivers got selected, hence Vincenzo Sospiri, who was a Formula 3 Paydriver of all things!!! Intersport were demanded by Cellent for him to appear at all the venues that would have TV coverage back then, Intersport decided to revolt against this, roped in a Brazilian called Paolo Carcasi, who was also pants, Damon Hill was also recalled for 2 of the races, and did not do well either. I dont think Intersport appeared after that.

The Button car is a works-Renault Promatecme F3 car from 1999. Despite works status the engines weren't as good as the Mugens and Jenson had a great year to grab 3rd in the championship and win 3 races, which all helped him get his F1 promotion the next year...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

danardif1 wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:I dont think Intersport lasted after 1989, Cellnet kind of demanded what drivers got selected, hence Vincenzo Sospiri, who was a Formula 3 Paydriver of all things!!! Intersport were demanded by Cellent for him to appear at all the venues that would have TV coverage back then, Intersport decided to revolt against this, roped in a Brazilian called Paolo Carcasi, who was also pants, Damon Hill was also recalled for 2 of the races, and did not do well either. I dont think Intersport appeared after that.

The Button car is a works-Renault Promatecme F3 car from 1999. Despite works status the engines weren't as good as the Mugens and Jenson had a great year to grab 3rd in the championship and win 3 races, which all helped him get his F1 promotion the next year...

It also appears that Pascal Fabre drove for the team in European F3 at one point!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

A black livery can make any car look fast:

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

You're not wrong there midgrid

KAMUI KOBAYASHI

ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

I would have preferred this scheme for 97 instead of the Silver
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

ADx_Wales wrote:Image

I remember telling my dad, after seeing the 97 car testing in McLaren Orange in F1 Racing, that they would racing in orange now, but then upon watching Qualifying early saturday morning for Australia... the Silver Arrows return. :(
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

danardif1 wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:Image

I remember telling my dad, after seeing the 97 car testing in McLaren Orange in F1 Racing, that they would racing in orange now, but then upon watching Qualifying early saturday morning for Australia... the Silver Arrows return. :(

Well they do still technically get a works Mercedes engine supply...that doesn't end until the end of this season I believe. Maybe for 2011 the Orange Arrows will be back? If they change sponsors from Vodafone to Orange there is hope :)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

There was talk of that early this year, as now they aren't the works Mercedes team they are not obliged to run the chrome/silver... Vodafone red would clash with the orange though, and I don't think they'd be impressed with the connotations of that colour being reminiscent of a rival telecom company...

I personally think the McLaren silver (the current one, not the West one) is brilliant, and it's become 'their' identity as much as the red-and-white of the Marlboro days...

With the big teams, their livery won't change as much as other teams because they use the colours themselves as adverts for their brand... think of McLaren and you think Silver, think of Ferrari you get Rosso Corsa, think of Red Bull you get... flashbacks of too many Vodka-and-RB's I had in that club in Hamburg one night ;) , and THEN the blue of the car...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

My faves:

And of course:
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Me likes. Shame it was so utterly forgettable (seriously, who can remember a 2008 sight with a Honda car?)
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I for one am also a fan of the 2008 Honda, the white spots made it a good looking "Eco-Friendly" car. I also like the Minardi M198.

Okay, so its cluttered with sponsors, but Minardi once again did a good job with the overall livery. Of course, they "screwed it up" 2 years later with the M02, but I liked that too. Its all personal choice really.

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Waris

Post by Waris »

midgrid wrote:A black livery can make any car look fast:

I was going to reply with a picture of an Andrea Moda, then I noticed that was an Andrea Moda. Wow, it really does look a great deal faster than it was.

Also, how anyone can like that terrible 2008 Honda livery is beyond me. I like the stripes on the nose and the little red bits, but that "earth" is hideous (and the fact that it was predominantly white at a time where about 2/3rds of the grid was white). I would almost say I liked the 2007 monstrosity better.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

danardif1 wrote:There was talk of that early this year, as now they aren't the works Mercedes team they are not obliged to run the chrome/silver... Vodafone red would clash with the orange though, and I don't think they'd be impressed with the connotations of that colour being reminiscent of a rival telecom company...

I personally think the McLaren silver (the current one, not the West one) is brilliant, and it's become 'their' identity as much as the red-and-white of the Marlboro days...

With the big teams, their livery won't change as much as other teams because they use the colours themselves as adverts for their brand... think of McLaren and you think Silver, think of Ferrari you get Rosso Corsa, think of Red Bull you get... flashbacks of too many Vodka-and-RB's I had in that club in Hamburg one night ;) , and THEN the blue of the car...

Id actually love to see Mclaren back in the Red-and-white... Vodafone's colors actually match that :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

DonTirri wrote:
danardif1 wrote:There was talk of that early this year, as now they aren't the works Mercedes team they are not obliged to run the chrome/silver... Vodafone red would clash with the orange though, and I don't think they'd be impressed with the connotations of that colour being reminiscent of a rival telecom company...

Id actually love to see Mclaren back in the Red-and-white... Vodafone's colors actually match that :P

They do!! Perhaps that would be the next evolution now that they're off Mercedes' books?
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Possibly a bit like this then?

KAMUI KOBAYASHI

Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Waris wrote:
midgrid wrote:A black livery can make any car look fast:

I was going to reply with a picture of an Andrea Moda, then I noticed that was an Andrea Moda. Wow, it really does look a great deal faster than it was.

Also, how anyone can like that terrible 2008 Honda livery is beyond me. I like the stripes on the nose and the little red bits, but that "earth" is hideous (and the fact that it was predominantly white at a time where about 2/3rds of the grid was white). I would almost say I liked the 2007 monstrosity better.

I'm stunned Perry was ever on the track long enough to be photographed. I trust the S921 is grinding to a halt in that picture.