Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dinizintheoven

Re: Ponderbox

Post by dinizintheoven »

5000th post on this thread! Just give me the champagne now.

It struck me over last weekend's British Grand Prix: after however many years of Channel 4's relentless thrusting of Billy Monger in front of the camera, I've noticed that, aged a mere 23 years old, he is thinning on top rapidly. He's combing his hair forwards in an attempt to hide it, but the resultant barnet has a nylon-esque look to it, not a million miles away from how God-Emperor Trump conceals his seven decades plus change (and it is an epic comb-over, not a syrup - see also Jackie Mason at a similar age, as revealed by Penn & Teller). By the time he's 25 he's going to be sporting the full Chairman Mao unless he goes to the same hair clinic as Darren Gough, Graham Gooch and the tragically deceased Shane Warne.

Mark Webber will be 46 at the end of August - twice Billy's age - and he has no such troubles. I'll be 43 in under three weeks and I've still got all my hair.

Some you lose, but some you win big.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 21:09 5000th post on this thread! Just give me the champagne now.

It struck me over last weekend's British Grand Prix: after however many years of Channel 4's relentless thrusting of Billy Monger in front of the camera, I've noticed that, aged a mere 23 years old, he is thinning on top rapidly. He's combing his hair forwards in an attempt to hide it, but the resultant barnet has a nylon-esque look to it, not a million miles away from how God-Emperor Trump conceals his seven decades plus change (and it is an epic comb-over, not a syrup - see also Jackie Mason at a similar age, as revealed by Penn & Teller). By the time he's 25 he's going to be sporting the full Chairman Mao unless he goes to the same hair clinic as Darren Gough, Graham Gooch and the tragically deceased Shane Warne.

Mark Webber will be 46 at the end of August - twice Billy's age - and he has no such troubles. I'll be 43 in under three weeks and I've still got all my hair.

Some you lose, but some you win big.
I'm almost 3 years younger than you. I too am not losing my hair (other than when I get my hair cut, obviously!), but I am getting seriously grey on top.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm getting a bit of grey here and there, which is only to be expected. This is also a curse that Mark Webber appears to have escaped.

So either he's found the Fountain of Youth, or a sponsorship from Grecian 2000.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 21:36

I'm almost 3 years younger than you. I too am not losing my hair (other than when I get my hair cut, obviously!), but I am getting seriously grey on top.

I'm five years younger than you and bald as an egg. Ah married life :P
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 02:36
dr-baker wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 21:36

I'm five years younger than you and bald as an egg. Ah married life :P
Ahh, so maybe that's what I'm doing right! Not being married...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 07:11
Ahh, so maybe that's what I'm doing right! Not being married...
In fairness to my wife, I began losing my hair (noticeably) in college. It's just fun to blame her. My buddy Steve, on the other hand, being six months or so older than I am, still has the thickest head of hair you'll find. It's just been snow white since we were in high school.......
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

More interesting observations on the hair front: 48-year-old Vernon Kay and 49-year-old Dario Franchitti are also doing very well. Maybe one or both of them are more than familiar with Just For Men or Grecian 2000, and Mark Webber may be as well - but the hairline is intact.

See, there's hope for everyone who isn't already an egg.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 15:48 More interesting observations on the hair front: 48-year-old Vernon Kay and 49-year-old Dario Franchitti are also doing very well. Maybe one or both of them are more than familiar with Just For Men or Grecian 2000, and Mark Webber may be as well - but the hairline is intact.

See, there's hope for everyone who isn't already an egg.
It's not them getting a hair transplant from your big bushy beard is it?
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

A slightly odd qualy from Spa. How about letting the 'penalty' cars fight it out in their own Q3 and letting the rest get on with it in Q2/1?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

After Nyck de Vries' heroics in Italy, I'm seeing a lot of videos on That Red Site, You Know The One I Mean, dunking on Nicholas Latifi. We know he's not really up to the challenge of F1, and his career at this level will be done and dusted come the end of this year - maybe earlier, as there are calls for him to be dropped for the Singapore Grand Prix if Alex Albon's fit enough to drive.

But might there be a chance of glory elsewhere? I'm thinking that if he managed to get a drive in the top category at Le Mans, whatever they're calling it these days, he'd have a shot at emulating some of the Rejects, Not Quite Rejects and "Not As Good As They Should Have Been In F1"s of the past. Over the course of the last 70 years we've had Tony Rolt, Duncan Hamilton, Ivor Bueb, Helmut Marko, Gijs van Lennep, Gérard Larrousse, Vern Schuppan, Paolo Barilla, Johnny Dumfries, Jan Lammers, Volker Weidler, Bertrand Gachot, Yannick Dalmas, Mauro Baldi, Emanuele Pirro, Allan McNish, Joachim Winkelhock, David Brabham, Marc Gené, André Lotterer, Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima and Brendon Hartley - between those 23 drivers, they have 542 F1 entries, 415 starts, 124 failures to qualify (including a fair few DNPQs circa 1989-91), and a mere 65 points - 29 of which were scored by Buemi who never even managed a 6th place to start unrejectifying himself. Zero podiums - that goes without saying - and the highest position any of the points-scorers managed was fifth. Normies would look at them and decide they were all rubbish drivers... but also between them, they have 43 outright victories at Le Mans, and it's not as if it's an easy race to win.

What are the chances of Nicholas Latifi joining them?

In fact, better still: what about a Williams Dream team, also featuring the "other" last-minute substitutes, Paul di Resta and Jack Aitken? I like that idea.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 21:28 After Nyck de Vries' heroics in Italy, I'm seeing a lot of videos on That Red Site, You Know The One I Mean, dunking on Nicholas Latifi.
You mean the one that YOU watch on the London Underground, a.k.a the TUBE?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And now, from the pages of motorsport.com (and probably Autosport as well):
motorsport.com wrote:Montoya, Fittipaldi among F3 Jerez post-season test line-up
Sebastian Montoya and Emerson Fittipaldi Jr are among those confirmed to take part in the FIA Formula 3 post-season test at Jerez.
So far, so good. I'd assumed - rightly - that Sebastián Montoya is Juan Pablo's son, and he is. But I had to look up Emerson Fittipaldi Jr. to see whose son he is, and the tangled web of the Fittipaldi family revealed itself, with Emerson Senior as an aging lothario...
motorsport.com wrote:Montoya, son of former Formula 1 driver and Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya, and Fittipaldi, the namesake son of the two-time F1 world champion, are on the entry list for the first day of testing tomorrow at the Spanish circuit.
Wait... Emerson's son? Surely he can't be all that young, then...
Wikipedia wrote:In early December 2012 he married economist Rossana Fanucchi in São Paulo after a partnership of eleven years. They have a son, Emerson Jr., born in 2007...
...and that means that Pietro Fittipaldi, born in 1996 (Emerson's grandson) is eleven years older than his uncle Emerson (junior). And also 16 years older than his aunt, Vittoria, born in 2012 and still at whatever they call primary school in Brazil...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sooooo. Who's missing the Russian GP today?
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 14:53 Sooooo. Who's missing the Russian GP today?
IMO I don’t think the teams themselves will have been too disappointed that it wasn’t replaced. It’s given them an extra week to fine tune any last major updates for the year they’ve got before they switch to 2023.

As for fans I don’t think many will have missed it’s absence. Apart from last year and to a degree 2015 it’s not produced many memorable races
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Maybe if it was an intense title fight with something to play for then maybe it would have made more of an impact missing wise

However seeing the 2013 seasob revisted all over again has migrated the damage...
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
mario

Post by mario »

rachel1990 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 14:03 Maybe if it was an intense title fight with something to play for then maybe it would have made more of an impact missing wise

However seeing the 2013 seasob revisted all over again has migrated the damage...
Technically, in 2013 Vettel had a slightly smaller lead in the WDC after 16 races than Verstappen does this year (Vettel had a lead of 115 points then, as opposed to 116 now).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I thought it time to respond to criticism I received for my Mario comment.
Firstly Mario, my comment was petulant, unnecessary and unfair. I apologise unreservedly.
I was in the military for 28 years. For anyone who isn't aware they're the ladies and gentlemen who in the normal course of their business risk injury and death in peacetime and pay the ultimate price in war. We're a tough bunch. We're as likely to back down in a verbal argument as we are in combat. We're a bit rough around the edges.
Being offended doesn't make you right.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I’ve not watched a full season of F1 for many years now but back then watching the races following the champions being wrapped up was often more fun, the pressure was off and my guy had won/lost (“Dammit Fernando, get a grip!!”)

Is that still the case? Are you guys enjoying it as much? And, more importantly, are the powers that be employing any additional tricks or tactics to keep people engaged?
Just For One Day...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

CoopsII wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 15:09 I’ve not watched a full season of F1 for many years now but back then watching the races following the champions being wrapped up was often more fun, the pressure was off and my guy had won/lost (“Dammit Fernando, get a grip!!”)

Is that still the case? Are you guys enjoying it as much? And, more importantly, are the powers that be employing any additional tricks or tactics to keep people engaged?
Not enjoying it as much as I used to, that's for sure, the powers that be need to try a lot harder.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 16:53
CoopsII wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 15:09 I’ve not watched a full season of F1 for many years now but back then watching the races following the champions being wrapped up was often more fun, the pressure was off and my guy had won/lost (“Dammit Fernando, get a grip!!”)

Not enjoying it as much as I used to, that's for sure, the powers that be need to try a lot harder.
The new aero formula will be paying dividends for years to come I think. The fact that a couple of teams jumped to a large advantage in the first year of the formula isn't too surprising. A clean break with the super-dirty aero cars needed to be made and things will probably get better year on year. Be careful about asking the powers to try harder, though. I think they should be a little hands-off and let the new formula work. The rules were about right this year too. They effectively took away Max's dumb banzai moves (and he showed he was still great without them), regaining some legitimacy.

One thing the powers could try harder on is getting Spa on a sound financial footing. Put the effort there and anywhere else where it is needed to shore up a good track/race that isn't making lots of money.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:32
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 16:53

The new aero formula will be paying dividends for years to come I think. The fact that a couple of teams jumped to a large advantage in the first year of the formula isn't too surprising. A clean break with the super-dirty aero cars needed to be made and things will probably get better year on year. Be careful about asking the powers to try harder, though. I think they should be a little hands-off and let the new formula work. The rules were about right this year too. They effectively took away Max's dumb banzai moves (and he showed he was still great without them), regaining some legitimacy.

One thing the powers could try harder on is getting Spa on a sound financial footing. Put the effort there and anywhere else where it is needed to shore up a good track/race that isn't making lots of money.
Well, truth be told, been a bit put-off in recent years with the Mercedes dominance (No offence to Lewis, I am a fan of him). The least said about last year the better and now Max is winning everything. Room for much needed improvement in 2023.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:57 Well, truth be told, been a bit put-off in recent years with the Mercedes dominance (No offence to Lewis, I am a fan of him). The least said about last year the better and now Max is winning everything. Room for much needed improvement in 2023.
That's all fair and you're right. I just feel like the normal progression will be a good thing in this case because of the fact that the new aero rules allow the cars to follow/overtake. Fewer gimmicks should be needed going forward to keep the season exciting as the cars will naturally get closer together in performance. It could all fall apart, but as of now things look promising.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 20:21
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:57 Well, truth be told, been a bit put-off in recent years with the Mercedes dominance (No offence to Lewis, I am a fan of him). The least said about last year the better and now Max is winning everything. Room for much needed improvement in 2023.
That's all fair and you're right. I just feel like the normal progression will be a good thing in this case because of the fact that the new aero rules allow the cars to follow/overtake. Fewer gimmicks should be needed going forward to keep the season exciting as the cars will naturally get closer together in performance. It could all fall apart, but as of now things look promising.
Here's hoping.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Here's another ponder that maybe you guys and gals can help me with; I noticed a news headline on Saturday that Russell had got his first win in the sprint race. So would that count as a real win in the stats and more importantly in the eyes of you fans? Obviously, it's kind of moot because of Sunday but I'm confused as to the validity of the sprint races. Could a driver have a career with no Sunday wins but say "Yeah, but I've got twenty plus Sprint wins!!" and be considered a decent driver? (looking at the stats most drivers with twenty plus wins are WDCs).
Just For One Day...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

CoopsII wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 11:16 Here's another ponder that maybe you guys and gals can help me with; I noticed a news headline on Saturday that Russell had got his first win in the sprint race. So would that count as a real win in the stats and more importantly in the eyes of you fans? Obviously, it's kind of moot because of Sunday but I'm confused as to the validity of the sprint races. Could a driver have a career with no Sunday wins but say "Yeah, but I've got twenty plus Sprint wins!!" and be considered a decent driver? (looking at the stats most drivers with twenty plus wins are WDCs).
That's really going to muddy the waters in years to come.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

CoopsII wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 11:16 Here's another ponder that maybe you guys and gals can help me with; I noticed a news headline on Saturday that Russell had got his first win in the sprint race. So would that count as a real win in the stats and more importantly in the eyes of you fans? Obviously, it's kind of moot because of Sunday but I'm confused as to the validity of the sprint races. Could a driver have a career with no Sunday wins but say "Yeah, but I've got twenty plus Sprint wins!!" and be considered a decent driver? (looking at the stats most drivers with twenty plus wins are WDCs).

A Chris Amon-esque run of being chucked out of first place as soon as it's Grand Prix time, a GP Rejects wet dream.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The All-Knowing Oracle That Is Never, Ever Wrong About Anything lists George Russell with one win and one pole, with no separate category for sprint wins. Realistically, there needs to be a third category.

As it stands it's Verstappen 3, Bottas 2, Russell 1, everyone else 0.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

So..... what are we thinking for next year? April? May? As late as June?

For when Alonso decides he hates all things Aston Martin, I mean :lol:
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

CoopsII wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 16:02 So..... what are we thinking for next year? April? May? As late as June?

For when Alonso decides he hates all things Aston Martin, I mean :lol:
Yeah, all of the above? You’re right, it’s not a relationship that seems long for this world. It’s not like Fernando has gotten less cranky with age.

-Jamie McGregor

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

A year without F1. It did suck to drop my favourite part of my favourite hobby, but I've been fine, it isn't like F1 is the only thing I ever liked. And considering why I left, seeing that in 2022 Verstappen won all the time, I'm glad I didn't watch. Before the end of 2021 I was hoping Mercedes wouldn't dominate to start the new era, because can fate please give the drivers in every other programme a chance, and then the situation was I would only come back if Mercedes were dominating because that's the only thing that would feel like justice. So I guess that's amusing.

My love for motorsport was in no way diminished. Part of me said if you aren't watching the top level, what's the point, and I didn't know if I would care anymore. But the FE season started before F1's, so I gave it a try. "I'll see how I feel." And I enjoyed it just as much as always. Same with IndyCar. I'm glad de Vries had a bad season in FE, since otherwise watching it without F1 next year really would feel pointless....

There have been positive things about not watching F1 and reading about the happenings anymore. Obviously all that time has gone to other things, but there isn't a single one that's got all the attention, so even though something was cut out it feels like my life has more variety. I also don't miss the Sky commentators telling me I'm a closed-minded person for not liking gimmicks or people on a forum telling me I'm wrong about how enjoyable a race or element of the sport was even though I know I was right there enjoying it. You'll notice that forums and a particular commentary team are not necessary to enjoying, well, anything, and yeah, that's because F1 itself is great (was great) and I'm having to unreasonably expand its definition to find a positive side. Don't let my tone fool you, not having it is still overall a loss for me. But I knew that in 2022, I would be happier not caring about it. It's especially a shame that it had to be 2022, the big exciting retool that was supposed to fix a lot of problems, and not a year that was a lot like the previous, but oh well.

Do I have any regrets about my time on this forum, I hear no one ask. There are three of them, and I want to put them out there because it'll be a weight off me. One is that I said some stupid stuff early on because I was a teenager and therefore stupid, but I think you can forgive me for that. Second is that I was unnecessarily rude sometimes. I guess being rude is always unnecessary, but sometimes it's the single clearest way to get a point across. You don't need it as often as the people giving brutal honesty a bad name would like to believe, though. And more to the point, I didn't need it as often as I did it. The third thing is that there were a few opinions I watered down to make them more like the average of the forum. Again, I got sick of people telling me things weren't enjoyable when I knew that wasn't true, so to speak, because I had experienced the enjoyment myself.

So that's where I am right now motorsportwise. I'm having a good time, don't worry about me. Just wanted to have a short ramble, if that's a thing, about losing a big part of my life, and since that thing was F1 I felt this was a good place to put it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Row Man Gross-Gene

UncreativeUsername37 wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 18:17 A year without F1. It did suck to drop my favourite part of my favourite hobby, but I've been fine, it isn't like F1 is the only thing I ever liked. And considering why I left, seeing that in 2022 Verstappen won all the time, I'm glad I didn't watch. Before the end of 2021 I was hoping Mercedes wouldn't dominate to start the new era, because can fate please give the drivers in every other programme a chance, and then the situation was I would only come back if Mercedes were dominating because that's the only thing that would feel like justice. So I guess that's amusing.

My love for motorsport was in no way diminished. Part of me said if you aren't watching the top level, what's the point, and I didn't know if I would care anymore. But the FE season started before F1's, so I gave it a try. "I'll see how I feel." And I enjoyed it just as much as always. Same with IndyCar. I'm glad de Vries had a bad season in FE, since otherwise watching it without F1 next year really would feel pointless....

There have been positive things about not watching F1 and reading about the happenings anymore. Obviously all that time has gone to other things, but there isn't a single one that's got all the attention, so even though something was cut out it feels like my life has more variety. I also don't miss the Sky commentators telling me I'm a closed-minded person for not liking gimmicks or people on a forum telling me I'm wrong about how enjoyable a race or element of the sport was even though I know I was right there enjoying it. You'll notice that forums and a particular commentary team are not necessary to enjoying, well, anything, and yeah, that's because F1 itself is great (was great) and I'm having to unreasonably expand its definition to find a positive side. Don't let my tone fool you, not having it is still overall a loss for me. But I knew that in 2022, I would be happier not caring about it. It's especially a shame that it had to be 2022, the big exciting retool that was supposed to fix a lot of problems, and not a year that was a lot like the previous, but oh well.

Do I have any regrets about my time on this forum, I hear no one ask. There are three of them, and I want to put them out there because it'll be a weight off me. One is that I said some stupid stuff early on because I was a teenager and therefore stupid, but I think you can forgive me for that. Second is that I was unnecessarily rude sometimes. I guess being rude is always unnecessary, but sometimes it's the single clearest way to get a point across. You don't need it as often as the people giving brutal honesty a bad name would like to believe, though. And more to the point, I didn't need it as often as I did it. The third thing is that there were a few opinions I watered down to make them more like the average of the forum. Again, I got sick of people telling me things weren't enjoyable when I knew that wasn't true, so to speak, because I had experienced the enjoyment myself.

So that's where I am right now motorsportwise. I'm having a good time, don't worry about me. Just wanted to have a short ramble, if that's a thing, about losing a big part of my life, and since that thing was F1 I felt this was a good place to put it.

Thanks, that was a nice meditation on the subject.

-Jamie McGregor

Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Blanket coverage on social media about Mercedes reserve driver Ralf oops sorry Mick Schumacher. I'm guessing they couldn't get Latifi?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

While in many motorsport forums people have avatars featuring recently passed people, in this forum I decided to do complete opposite and said goodbye to my avatar featuring Pelé from Brazilian GP 2002.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I believe that Liberty Media missed a trick. Sprint races really should have been named Petits Prix...
MCard LOLA