Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
coops

Re: Ponderbox

Post by coops »

dr-baker wrote:
F1000X wrote:I wonder if Williams will ever win again... I hope so.

I concur, I hope they will conquer again...

Anyone else thinking about a game of conkers?

Williams always seem to be on the verge of getting back to the front dont they? I truly believe they should hang on to Rubens for as long as possible as a veteran will win a race for them long before any rookie will.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

coops wrote:Williams always seem to be on the verge of getting back to the front dont they? I truly believe they should hang on to Rubens for as long as possible as a veteran will win a race for them long before any rookie will.

Out of interest, who is the oldest driver to win an F1 race? There always seems to talk of 'the youngest driver to do such-and-such', but nothing about the oldest.

I presume it'd be someone from the 1950s?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
F1000X wrote:I wonder if Williams will ever win again... I hope so.

I concur, I hope they will conquer again...

Anyone else thinking about a game of conkers?

I was, as I was typing it. :D

:roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

madmark1974 wrote:Out of interest, who is the oldest driver to win an F1 race? There always seems to talk of 'the youngest driver to do such-and-such', but nothing about the oldest.

Luigi Fagioli. Read about this legend..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Fagioli

Italians and team orders.... :roll:
-Enzo Ferrari
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

coops wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:Out of interest, who is the oldest driver to win an F1 race? There always seems to talk of 'the youngest driver to do such-and-such', but nothing about the oldest.

Thanks for the info. So, an arthritic 50+ year old can/could still win a Grand Prix. Schumacher and Rubens (plus De La Rosa) have still got 10+ years left in them!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

madmark1974 wrote:
coops wrote:

Thanks for the info. So, an arthritic 50+ year old can/could still win a Grand Prix. Schumacher and Rubens (plus De La Rosa) have still got 10+ years left in them!

By your logic, even Senna could be racing were it not for his death
I like the way Snrub thinks!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

De La Rosa winning a Grand Prix? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Just realizing now (shame on me!) that Yamamoto's head won't have a chance to fly off in this round :roll:
I've lost a point in my predictions in silly circumstances...
coops

Post by coops »

Phoenix wrote:Just realizing now (shame on me!) that Yamamoto's head won't have a chance to fly off in this round :roll:

It doesnt say he has to be on the track when his head flies off.
-Enzo Ferrari
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

coops wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Just realizing now (shame on me!) that Yamamoto's head won't have a chance to fly off in this round :roll:

It doesnt say he has to be on the track when his head flies off.

Phew...
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I wonder if the inhabitants of the planet Krikkit are staying in that hotel in Singapre that looks very much like the Wikkit Gate.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Yamamoto's head hasn't flown off :(
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Klon wrote:I am currently pondering if Nico Rosberg's career will end after the end of 2010. Now, before you, and reasonably so, go ahead and claim I am totally nuts, let me explain how I got to this idea - by reading Wikipedia. Yes, I have read the Wikipedia article on Bruno Spengler, in which it says:
Norbert Haug (Mercedes motorsports director) commented that if Spengler were to win the DTM championship he would earn a ride in F1.

That means he will most likely be put into either one of the three Mercedes powered teams. McLaren is full (although I would love to see Button without a drive, but that is another story) and Force India has confirmed Liuzzi and Di Resta is as good as confirmed ... and also a Mercedes man. That leaves Mercedes Grand Prix itself, where only Schumacher is secure for the upcoming season. Knowing that MSC likes a teammate in a lower class (and Spengler would be one, simply for lack of experience in a F1 car) and assuming that he already managed to get a certain hold of the team, he might want it that way.
Now, if we look at the other teams, it's not looking good either: Williams will not throw away Hülkenberg so fast, Virgin would unlikely be interested in two German drivers, Lotus, Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso have already two drivers and HRT/Villeneuve/Stefan/WhatevertheywillbecallingthemselvesnowF1 will most likely be looking for cash, which Rosberg has but not in the required quantities. That leaves either the second Sauber or the second Renault, both seats of desperation, if I may say so.
So Rosberg should better start hoping that Audi does enough underhanded maneuvres in the last three races (because Spengler will not lose that championship if they do not) or he might face trouble.

On current form, Paul di Resta will quite possibly overhaul Spengler, and he's a shoe-in for a Force India drive anyway. As far as I know, Spengler has had no F1 experience whatsoever, and he hasn't raced in single-seaters for seven years, so it's an odd thing for Haug to say.

EDIT: From the Wikipedia source (Canadian newspaper, The Globe and Mail "Earlier this year during grand prix weekend in Montreal, Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug hinted that Spengler, who turns 27 later this month, would earn an F1 ride by taking the DTM championship in 2010". Sounds like an optimistic Canadian journo.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
coops

Post by coops »

ADx_Wales wrote:I wonder if the inhabitants of the planet Krikkit are staying in that hotel in Singapre that looks very much like the Wikkit Gate.

Maybe, but thats an SEP.
-Enzo Ferrari
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

midgrid wrote:
Klon wrote:I am currently pondering if Nico Rosberg's career will end after the end of 2010. Now, before you, and reasonably so, go ahead and claim I am totally nuts, let me explain how I got to this idea - by reading Wikipedia. Yes, I have read the Wikipedia article on Bruno Spengler, in which it says:
Norbert Haug (Mercedes motorsports director) commented that if Spengler were to win the DTM championship he would earn a ride in F1.

That means he will most likely be put into either one of the three Mercedes powered teams. McLaren is full (although I would love to see Button without a drive, but that is another story) and Force India has confirmed Liuzzi and Di Resta is as good as confirmed ... and also a Mercedes man. That leaves Mercedes Grand Prix itself, where only Schumacher is secure for the upcoming season. Knowing that MSC likes a teammate in a lower class (and Spengler would be one, simply for lack of experience in a F1 car) and assuming that he already managed to get a certain hold of the team, he might want it that way.
Now, if we look at the other teams, it's not looking good either: Williams will not throw away Hülkenberg so fast, Virgin would unlikely be interested in two German drivers, Lotus, Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso have already two drivers and HRT/Villeneuve/Stefan/WhatevertheywillbecallingthemselvesnowF1 will most likely be looking for cash, which Rosberg has but not in the required quantities. That leaves either the second Sauber or the second Renault, both seats of desperation, if I may say so.
So Rosberg should better start hoping that Audi does enough underhanded maneuvres in the last three races (because Spengler will not lose that championship if they do not) or he might face trouble.

On current form, Paul di Resta will quite possibly overhaul Spengler, and he's a shoe-in for a Force India drive anyway. As far as I know, Spengler has had no F1 experience whatsoever, and he hasn't raced in single-seaters for seven years, so it's an odd thing for Haug to say.

EDIT: From the Wikipedia source (Canadian newspaper, The Globe and Mail "Earlier this year during grand prix weekend in Montreal, Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug hinted that Spengler, who turns 27 later this month, would earn an F1 ride by taking the DTM championship in 2010". Sounds like an optimistic Canadian journo.

Klon, as your arch-enemy (and friend), I take it you realise that the story about Spengler can't possibly become true? If it does, you have permission to allocate me an avatar of your choice that I will "wear" for the duration of the 2011 F1 season.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

A tempting offer, but it was nothing more than a mere thought. But if it happens, I will milk my avatar-giving rights for all it's worth. :D
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Here's one for ya!

Whatever happened to automatic jacks?

I was just watching the 1993 Japanese Grand Prix and noticed during the stops both McLaren and Williams were using some kind of hydraulically or electrically operated front jacks.

They didn't look any faster or slower than normal ones, just less work, so why were they introduced and why did they stop using them, were they banned along with other electronic gizmos after 1993? :P
patrick

Post by patrick »

IdeFan wrote:Here's one for ya!

I was just watching the 1993 Japanese Grand Prix and noticed during the stops both McLaren and Williams were using some kind of hydraulically or electrically operated front jacks.

They didn't look any faster or slower than normal ones, just less work, so why were they introduced and why did they stop using them, were they banned along with other electronic gizmos after 1993? :P

I don't know why they aren't around anymore but looking at the video if you think about it, it would be a lot easier for something like that to critically malfunction than the manual jacks that we see today (which i can't remember ever seeing anyone stuff up during a pitstop)
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Wah, please set a "only for UK", I'm getting depressed every time I can't watch F1 :P
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The mechanically powered jacks were banned for this season in order to prevent teams from performing tyre stops ridiculously fast. I think it's more of a safety measure than anything else, like an imaginary 'speed hump' for the pit crew to prevent them bodging up one of the wheel changes or having one of them run over.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

patrick wrote:
IdeFan wrote:Here's one for ya!

I don't know why they aren't around anymore but looking at the video if you think about it, it would be a lot easier for something like that to critically malfunction than the manual jacks that we see today (which i can't remember ever seeing anyone stuff up during a pitstop)

...And I imagine that they add weight to the car, and nowadays, when hundreths of a second count, this would not save the time that the extra weight would cost.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

dr-baker wrote:...And I imagine that they add weight to the car, and nowadays, when hundreths of a second count, this would not save the time that the extra weight would cost.

They were part of the jack, not part of the car, there's a pit stop around 2:30 in the video so you can see what I mean.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

If anyone's interested, Max Mosley is on Question Time tonight (if you don't know, this is a show where members from the leading parties and as couple of others discuss politics). Given what his Dad got up to I'm fascinated as to where on the political spectrum he'll be.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Debaser wrote:If anyone's interested, Max Mosley is on Question Time tonight (if you don't know, this is a show where members from the leading parties and as couple of others discuss politics). Given what his Dad got up to I'm fascinated as to where on the political spectrum he'll be.

Yeah this could be interesting, firstly I'm hoping there will be some die-hard F1 fans in the audience that want to roast him, and secondly that it might produce some debate amongst the other panelists about F1 or motorsport in general. Not that Warsi will want to actually commit to anything :?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

IdeFan wrote:
dr-baker wrote:...And I imagine that they add weight to the car, and nowadays, when hundreths of a second count, this would not save the time that the extra weight would cost.

They were part of the jack, not part of the car, there's a pit stop around 2:30 in the video so you can see what I mean.

Ooops. Shows how much attention I paid first time round. :oops:

But haven't there been on-board car jacks before? Like in sportscars or something? Or am I digging myself a hole (again - at this rate, I'll be burying myself in Australia...)?
MCard LOLA
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

To Podcast...
or Not to Podcast...

That is the question.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ADx_Wales wrote:To Podcast...
or Not to Podcast...

That is the question.

Please do.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

If Nico Hulkenberg is out of Formula 1 by the end of this year, then next year will we have a guaranteed 50% drop in chicane cutting?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

Vallelunga would make for an excellent F1 track.
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

The new GP2 Asia calendar really doesn't offer a lot of variety... Or races,for that matter.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Cynon wrote:If Nico Hulkenberg is out of Formula 1 by the end of this year, then next year will we have a guaranteed 50% drop in chicane cutting?

Well, now it seems that Hülkenberg and Willi Weber are asking more money to Sir Frank. Add that to the fact Williams is in a loss of sponsors next season, and Hülkenberg may be dropped after all...(a paydriver in Williams for the first time since 1977? *cringes*)
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Debaser wrote:If anyone's interested, Max Mosley is on Question Time tonight (if you don't know, this is a show where members from the leading parties and as couple of others discuss politics). Given what his Dad got up to I'm fascinated as to where on the political spectrum he'll be.

Feels weird to hear him talk about such things a child benefits...
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
IdeFan wrote:

Ooops. Shows how much attention I paid first time round. :oops:

But haven't there been on-board car jacks before? Like in sportscars or something? Or am I digging myself a hole (again - at this rate, I'll be burying myself in Australia...)?

I have seen the GT classes in Endurance Racing use on-board pneumatic jacks - partially because of the greater static weight of the cars, and partially because the Endurance Racing series limits the number of personnel who are allowed to work on the car in the pitlane, as a matter of safety. So, by eliminating the need for two jackmen, you free those mechanics either for refuelling or for tyre changing.

I would imagine, though, that in F1 there would be less of a need for such a system, either on the jack or in the car - being in the car would be a disadvantage for the added weight, whilst having it in the jack presumably has made no significant difference to the pit stop time.

Phoenix wrote:
Cynon wrote:If Nico Hulkenberg is out of Formula 1 by the end of this year, then next year will we have a guaranteed 50% drop in chicane cutting?

Well, now it seems that Hülkenberg and Willi Weber are asking more money to Sir Frank. Add that to the fact Williams is in a loss of sponsors next season, and Hülkenberg may be dropped after all...(a paydriver in Williams for the first time since 1977? *cringes*)

On the other hand, although Maldonado, who has been linked with Williams, could bring substantial sponsorship in the form of PDVSA, he is also the 2010 GP2 champion, so he isn't exactly slow, it seems. On the other hand, we must consider that Maldonado was Hulkenberg's team mate in 2009 within the ART Grand Prix GP2 team, and, by and large, it seems that Hulkenberg had the better of Maldonado, as Hulkenberg won, but Maldonado only finished 6th in the championship.
His GP2 performance has generally been solid, if unspectacular, until this year - he finished 11th in 2007 (albeit having to miss 4 races with a broken collarbone), 5th in 2008, 6th in 2009 and 1st this year. All in all, whilst not a bad driver, and perhaps worthy of a shot in F1, I think that Maldonado best chance of getting a drive at Williams would be if Hulkenberg has a wretched end to the season. If, however, Hulkenberg has an OK end to the season - perhaps the lower end of the points in each of the final races - I would tentatively suggest that Williams would give Hulkenberg another chance, assuming that Weber is not too overly aggressive with his rumoured salary demands.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:

I have seen the GT classes in Endurance Racing use on-board pneumatic jacks - partially because of the greater static weight of the cars, and partially because the Endurance Racing series limits the number of personnel who are allowed to work on the car in the pitlane, as a matter of safety. So, by eliminating the need for two jackmen, you free those mechanics either for refuelling or for tyre changing.

I would imagine, though, that in F1 there would be less of a need for such a system, either on the jack or in the car - being in the car would be a disadvantage for the added weight, whilst having it in the jack presumably has made no significant difference to the pit stop time.
[/quote]
Thanks. I knew I had come across the concept somewhere before and your clarification makes sense. I shall try not to get confused again. :)
MCard LOLA
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I was just thinking the other day that we should be pleased that Sakon Yamamoto is driving for HRT. A Japanese paydriver with a dodgy neck is exactly the type of driver that most people here on the F1 Rejects Forum should want to see in Formula One.
This is a cool spot.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:

Thanks. I knew I had come across the concept somewhere before and your clarification makes sense. I shall try not to get confused again. :)[/quote]

The system is also commonplace is Touring Cars (It's been used in V8s for years now)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

MinardiFan95 wrote:I was just thinking the other day that we should be pleased that Sakon Yamamoto is driving for HRT. A Japanese paydriver with a dodgy neck is exactly the type of driver that most people here on the F1 Rejects Forum should want to see in Formula One.

I think normally we would be, the problem is that he's replacing much more worthy and/or likeable drivers. Christian has the talent and Karun has the charm.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Phoenix wrote:(a paydriver in Williams for the first time since 1977? *cringes*)

*cough* Nakajima *cough*
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

MinardiFan95 wrote:I was just thinking the other day that we should be pleased that Sakon Yamamoto is driving for HRT. A Japanese paydriver with a dodgy neck is exactly the type of driver that most people here on the F1 Rejects Forum should want to see in Formula One.

Yeah, but why can't he leave Chandhok's seat alone and take over Michael's seat alongside Nico?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Lee McKenzies eyes are folliwing me around the room.