Great F1 Sights.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Great F1 Sights.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Unless you actually go and visit an F1 venue, there are not many great F1 Sights on TV any more, mainly down to safety but also because Bernie's ideals take us to places built in the middle of nowhere with not really much feature other than similarities to other tracks.

This is not just the best corner, it is the placeing of the corner on the circuit, or it could be something you see that only happens once, or indeed the circuit could be one giant sight in itself, Monaco springs instantly to mind, not the most entertaining of F1 venues, but some of the most eye-conic eye-gasmic sights to grace a TV screen, the Loews hairpin (before they decided the Martini banner was mroe interesting to look at, greedy money grabbing bernie at it again),

The Tunnel, especially in the days of sparks being caused, I'm pretty sure they can bring that back without it being dangerous. The only circuit still running to race underneath a Hotel, nowadays Abu Dhabi is trying to claim its own Tunnel, but it is very much an unnessasary gimmick.

The run from the chicane to the rascasse via Senna or indeed anyone with an onboard camera before 2003 was just a delight to behiold. Especially considering the layout before the new (and needed) pitlane went up, Tight , twisty, how can an F1 car get around here as fast as it can?

Outside of Monaco the only track that still has life on the F1 calendar is Eau Rouge at Spa. For obvious reasons, however they have gone a bit too safety concious (even for EU standards) with the amount of run-off, which has turned the most daunting of high speed corners into what is practically a straight, but it still looks good enough...

There are plenty, or there used to be plenty, you can probably think of more, but one that used to stick out for me, up until 1994, and wont happen again...

... The San Marino Surge.
Coming to think of it, this is not the best picture for it, here's something better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkxI_3c_ ... re=related and from 3 minutes.

After a blast away from the start line, flat out through tamburello , literally saido by saido all the way up to villeneuve and slamming the brakes for the Tosa hairpin, THATS why there is a massive grassy bank with everyone watching down upon the race at the start, which has been the un-noticed victim of the (kneejerk , yes how dare I) changes post Ratzenberger, and post Senna, the closest we will get to something like this will be at the next years British Grand Prix, but it will obviously not be the same.

But that's only my view, sat on my chair of a sunday dinnertime, you probably have better opinions...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Re: Great F1 Sights.

Post by Phoenix »

Shame F1 has been deprived of the picturesque countryside sightings of, say, Rouen. I also quite like (and I know it may sound a bit strange) the surroundings of the Detroit street circuit. And Long Beach was also somewhat beautiful. Singapore too would fit the bill.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

i got about 4500 F1 photo's i think i have also a few of this kind between it.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

this one.... oh hang on you mean sights lol....
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Sillyarse.

Actually, the sight of sparks pelting off the back of every car up until 1994, what was so dangerous about them?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

ADx_Wales wrote:Sillyarse.
Actually, the sight of sparks pelting off the back of every car up until 1994, what was so dangerous about them?

The sparks? Nothing, although I do remember reading that at the point Senna went off for the last time it was partly caused by that "spark-moment" as the car was momentarily unstable. How many times are F1 cars momentarily unstable during a race? Perhaps a hundred (or three hundred if Yamamoto is behind the wheel) but those dark days brought new definition to the phrase 'knee-jerk'. If Alesi had been injured by Bergers flying camera a year later they would have probably banned those too, TV coverage be damned.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Viresh

Post by Viresh »

Awesome snaps and great videos.keeps us updated with your finest stories with snaps.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Look can someone snap this guy.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

ADx_Wales wrote:Look can someone snap this guy.

I don't have the keys to the locker where the banhammer is.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Unfortunately for you, hemo, I think Carlos has them.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

tommykl wrote:Unfortunately for you, hemo, I think Carlos has them.

I know.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I miss Estoril, the proper one, pre-1994 Grand Prix. Turn 2 and the 'Curva da Orelha' which was replaced by that awful chicane were absolutely incredible and the sight of a car on a qualifying lap through these cameras was incredible.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.