PMMF Planning Thread

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PMMF Planning Thread

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ShaneEyoho wrote:This question has probably been asked alot but: What is the best scorinator/game/software to use when it comes to playing out your own race series, I've been running some tests on xkoranate and whilst those races have been ok I feel like there could be more, I played Grand Prix 2 on an emulator the other day and liked that so I downloaded it but it then wasnt compatible with my Windows 10 PC. So does anyone have any recommendations on what I could use when it comes to playing out my own racing series?

Are you using gp2edit to play Grand Prix 2? I think there is a fix but I do not know (I still use Windows 7).

Grand Prix World can work, as does Lights to Flag, if you can find a working copy. Ask around our Discord, they can provide links.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
ShaneEyoho

Post by ShaneEyoho »

So today I got Lights to Flag and I really like the game and I definitely see myself using it for my own series however whenever I go into career mode, I make a driver but when I go to see his profile/he's about to go out onto the racetrack for practice the following keeps popping up, I have the head file in the Display folder for the mod I'm using so I'm a bit stuck on what I should do.

What the message says:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application, if you click Continue the application will ignore this error and try to continue, if you click Quit the application will close immediately

Display\head_silhouette.jpg.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ShaneEyoho wrote:So today I got Lights to Flag and I really like the game and I definitely see myself using it for my own series however whenever I go into career mode, I make a driver but when I go to see his profile/he's about to go out onto the racetrack for practice the following keeps popping up, I have the head file in the Display folder for the mod I'm using so I'm a bit stuck on what I should do.

What the message says:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application, if you click Continue the application will ignore this error and try to continue, if you click Quit the application will close immediately

Display\head_silhouette.jpg.

You may need a patched version, I don't know it very well. Miguel98 may know, PM him or talk to him on the Discord channel (Go to this page and click on the Discord icon on the upper right).
ShaneEyoho

Post by ShaneEyoho »

Update: I sorted the issue I had for Career by putting my picture in the drivers folder and naming it my driver's name and just played through my first season however at the end of the season it displays that same message but with FOTA.jpg instead meaning I cant progress into Season 2 of career.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ShaneEyoho wrote:Update: I sorted the issue I had for Career by putting my picture in the drivers folder and naming it my driver's name and just played through my first season however at the end of the season it displays that same message but with FOTA.jpg instead meaning I cant progress into Season 2 of career.

There is also a Lights to Flag Discord channel for troubleshooting. look for "Getz" on the channel and ask me for an invite and I can send it to you. :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ShaneEyoho wrote:Update: I sorted the issue I had for Career by putting my picture in the drivers folder and naming it my driver's name and just played through my first season however at the end of the season it displays that same message but with FOTA.jpg instead meaning I cant progress into Season 2 of career.

If that's the fix for the first issue you had, shouldn't that mean that a similar fix will work on this new problem?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Afternoon ladies and gents, I'm just dropping this here to try and gauge reaction to an idea I've floated already in the Discord. Over the last few months, during lulls in work, I've essentially built a wee model on Excel for simming races, lap by lap. Yes, 2013 Takagi with his reams of A4 with various scribblings on, RNG website open on his mobile phone, and calculator would weep. Anyways, the long and short of this is that I think that, especially for shorter and easier to simulate BTCC races, it would make for a pretty decent foundation for a game in the 18-Metre Debut subforum.

I reckon that "creating" a BTCC series starting in 2001 would be a solid idea - this of course was the first post-SuperTouring year, with almost all the manufacturers having been scared away by the ever-rising costs they themselves instigated. This left a skeleton series with a new, unpopular technical reg set based around cost cutting, with only 4 works Vauxhall cars scrapping amongst themselves, miles clear of the field consisting of an unwieldy and uncompetitive Peugeot factory team, a late arriving MG factory team, and a couple of underfunded privateer outfits. In order to have double digits of cars on the grid, the National Saloon Car championship was incorporated as a second class within the series, allowing the likes of Gordon Shedden, Mat Jackson, Tom Boardman, Rob Collard and a host of other drivers the chance to peddle what were essentially stripped out production hatchbacks against real racing cars. Anyways, the series was a mess, and it took the best part of a decade before the S2000 cars began to fill up the grids.

Therefore, what I have in mind is going back in time to winter 2000, and starting with a clean slate. Of course, I could just do a faithful recreation of the 2001 BTCC season, but I'd basically be condemning anyone who didn't get Triple 8 to a boring season of farting round by themselves with no chance of winning. Instead, what I have in mind is presenting a list of teams that competed in the BTCC from the period, a list of cars that have been "homologated" (read I've gone through the Parker's guides from the era and cherry picked a shitload of large hatchbacks/small saloons), and allowing users to try and secure works status for their teams. Obtaining works status would essentially free up the funds for you to tool up and start building chassis', whereas the smaller teams who maybe don't have those funds would have to think about purchasing chassis' from the works teams (eg see the never ending list of teams who ran Astra Coupe's past 2004, Integras past 2006, or MG's past 2005.) From there you'd also obviously get to hire drivers, court sponsors, argue over race formats etc before we hit the track!

I still have a few things I want to iron out first, primarily the in game economics, but give me a week or so and I think I should be in a position to make this happen.

So basically, would be people be interested in this, or does it all sound just a wee bit over complicated or anything?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:A BTCC series starting in 2001

Sounds like a plan.

My observation would be that this was a time that coincided with Rockingham being built; with Rockingham, Mallory and Foxhall you'd have three different kinds of oval without having to create ahistorical tracks.

But this is your series not mine
ShaneEyoho

Post by ShaneEyoho »

Hello all, so recently I've took interest in starting a touring car series (non canon of course) based on the many touring car championships around the world and was wondering if there would be any interest.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

ShaneEyoho wrote:Hello all, so recently I've took interest in starting a touring car series (non canon of course) based on the many touring car championships around the world and was wondering if there would be any interest.

I thought about doing an american touring car championship starting in 1992, but there is pretty much zero US cars that fit the touring car bill...oh well, we can go a little fantasy and have american drivers race alfas, Opels and Toyotas! :D
ShaneEyoho

Post by ShaneEyoho »

Sounds interesting, to me when it comes to a touring cars series the more variety the better, also I guess stock cars are the CLOSEST things to touring cars in the USA?
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

ShaneEyoho wrote:Sounds interesting, to me when it comes to a touring cars series the more variety the better, also I guess stock cars are the CLOSEST things to touring cars in the USA?

Yeah, but that just becomes NASCAR...
Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

Kinnikuniverse wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:24
ShaneEyoho wrote:Sounds interesting, to me when it comes to a touring cars series the more variety the better, also I guess stock cars are the CLOSEST things to touring cars in the USA?
Yeah, but that just becomes NASCAR...
Jim France is 77. Knowing he can't turn the family company over to his nephew, he decides to put the future of American auto racing in the hands of the one man he trusts with it. A younger man? No, but a richer one and one with a succession plan that already includes the biggest event in the country.

During the height of the pandemic in 2020, France announces the sale of NASCAR, International Speedway Company, ARCA, and IMSA (including the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship) to Roger Penske. Penske announces the formation of the American Association of Auto Racing (AAAR, usually shortened to "A3R"), which will oversee open-wheel, sports-car and stock-car racing beginning on Jan. 1, 2022.

cue great magic enabling massive changes to stock-car racing in 18 months

In 2022, there would be four new series:

1) The Nicola Tesla Hypercar Series, presented by SpaceX. For 2022 and 2023, Tesla will supply the engines and the teams will build the chassis. No financial restrictions, with an interested party providing significant funding to 12 two-car teams.

2) The Verizon Racing Series. The "new" NASCAR, although cars will run on hybrid engines and be designed to look much more like the street cars they are meant to represent. Models will include the Ford Mustang, the Chevy Camaro, the Toyota Supra, and the Subaru BRZ.

3) The Pepsi Hatchback Series. The second-tier NASCAR hybrid series, with models including the Ford Focus, the Chevy Bolt, the VW Golf, the Honda Civic, the Toyota Corolla and, yes, the Mini Cooper. The cars in this series would use TCR regulations.

4) The Duracell SportsCar Championship. The feeder series for the Tesla series, with electric versions of the Chevy Corvette, the Ford Shelby, the Dodge Viper, and the Tesla Roadster.

The last three series would have financial restrictions. The Verizon and Pepsi series would race on an even mix of ovals and road courses, with a trophy presented to the leading driver on each type of circuit, as well as one for the overall winner. In the Verizon series, the road-course winner will receive the Gurney Trophy, the oval-course winner will receive the Earnhardt Trophy and the overall winner will receive the Petty Cup.

The Hypercar and SportsCar championships would run entirely on road courses, with the Hypercar champion receiving the Andretti Trophy.
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

So while the series I'm participating in (or I want to be in) appear to be on hiatus, over the past weeks I've been setting up a management game for F1 and F2 2000. Formula Manager 2000, I call it.

In addition to running your F1 teams, you can run junior teams in F2 (what F3000 is called now in the Formula Manager-verse), for a small cost. Your juniors will naturally be more interested in signing for your team but can be loaned to others.

The series will be ran with The Racing Scorinator 2.5. Yes, it can be quite buggy and qualifying results are nonsensical whenever using this, but (1) at least it isn't xkoronate :P :, (2) it's not like I'm gonna learn how to program my own spreadsheets or edit GP2 any time soon, and (3) you gotta start somewhere!

If 10 or more people are interested I'll get it going!
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Could I call dibs on BAR please
Aislabie

Proposed series: AutoV8 1993

Post by Aislabie »

A little something to energise our 90s DECs

Currently this is just a brain dump. Suggested team names (like "Corse Nostra") don't mean anything yet. Any feedback or identifications of your DEC drivers would be glorious.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

It's the time of the year to do a rally-raid from europe to africa! Alas, the dakar rally is no longer in either of these continents, so i was thinking about bringing back the Google Navigation Challenge (it's been a long while since the last one) doing a North Cape-Cape Town route this time. If theres sufficient interest in it, i will start preparations. If less than 10 people are interested it will not go ahead.

When it goes ahead i'll make a thread and post more specifics about the regulations but i'm planning it so you'll have 3 days to post each leg, instead of 24 hours, so as to not put too tight of a deadline on it.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Butterfox wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 13:17 It's the time of the year to do a rally-raid from europe to africa! Alas, the dakar rally is no longer in either of these continents, so i was thinking about bringing back the Google Navigation Challenge (it's been a long while since the last one) doing a North Cape-Cape Town route this time. If theres sufficient interest in it, i will start preparations. If less than 10 people are interested it will not go ahead.

When it goes ahead i'll make a thread and post more specifics about the regulations but i'm planning it so you'll have 3 days to post each leg, instead of 24 hours, so as to not put too tight of a deadline on it.
I'd be down to clown and can only emphasise that I am in favour of the extended deadline.