Your Reject of the Race - Japan!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Japan!

Post by Captain Hammer »

You know the deal by now.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Japan!

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Right now it's a fairly easy one but I'll give Lewis a break and wait to see what havoc the weather brings tomorrow
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Yup, McLaren are looking pretty good for it at the moment - but if it's a rainy qualifying we should see some better stuff. Or Vettel for changing his helmet design yet again!
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Hamilton is the obvious contender so far.

Also, Liuzzi - 1.5s behind Sutil in practice 2 is up there as he often is.

Based on the amount of crashes in a dry qualifying last year, and with 2 inches of rain expected for qualifying, we could get a raft (pardon the pun) of new contenders by this time tomorrow.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Hungarian F1 feed on this POS commercial channel! :evil:
The qualification is pushed back with an hour. It's 7:40 ffs and seems like they HAVE TO air cartoons instead of F1! They waited 30 minutes and then said "We will show you it at 2 PM" so I have to watch it online again!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

My ROTR nomination:

The Weather: Note to Mother Nature: We asked for rain, not the entire bathplugging Pacific Ocean.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Better yet: We asked to rain all weekend, but not only on Saturday!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Wizzie wrote:My ROTR nomination:

The Weather: Note to Mother Nature: We asked for rain, not the entire bathplugging Pacific Ocean.

:lol:
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Mother Nature: I don't remember to have given you permission to cut lots of trees, desecate seas, throw every kind of imaginable chemical compound to the atmosphere and chase animals until their extinction. And yet I'm not sending tornadoes and earthquakes to every single city on Earth every second day, as I should. You're in no position to ask for anything but mercy.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

The BBC Guy (I don't know who it was) who claimed that if qualifying is abandoned altogether, then the cars will line up in numerical order instead by championship position. Although the former is true, it only applies under certain circumstances (the first cars on the grid will be those that set a time; the second cars will be those that attempted to, but did not set a time; the third group will be drivers who did not leave pit lane and the fourth will be drivers who did not leave their garage - they will only line up in numerical order if more than one driver falls into the second, third or fourth category). It was pretty obvious he was saying it because it would benefit Button and Hamilton.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Go back to the very first ROTR-winner: Alex Wurz - his lack of co-driving skills in SC meant no qualification today.
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:The BBC Guy (I don't know who it was) who claimed that if qualifying is abandoned altogether, then the cars will line up in numerical order instead by championship position. Although the former is true, it only applies under certain circumstances (the first cars on the grid will be those that set a time; the second cars will be those that attempted to, but did not set a time; the third group will be drivers who did not leave pit lane and the fourth will be drivers who did not leave their garage - they will only line up in numerical order if more than one driver falls into the second, third or fourth category). It was pretty obvious he was saying it because it would benefit Button and Hamilton.

The provisional results on the Formula1.com website indicate that the drivers would line up in numerical order at the moment http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/839/6794/
Now, that reporter was discussing what would happen if Charlie Whiting decided that the conditions were unsafe for qualifying to occur tomorrow - in that case, they would line up in numerical order (albeit with Hamilton out of place with his grid penalty for a new gearbox). However, should the session start, and then be stopped before the scheduled time, then we would go by the procedure you outline.
So, strictly speaking, he was correct for the circumstances that he mentioned, where no qualifying session takes place at all.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ferrim wrote:

Mother Nature: I don't remember to have given you permission to cut lots of trees, desecate seas, throw every kind of imaginable chemical compound to the atmosphere and chase animals until their extinction. And yet I'm not sending tornadoes and earthquakes to every single city on Earth every second day, as I should. You're in no position to ask for anything but mercy.

Thank you. That is honestly my favourite post ever.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Mother Nature: I don't remember to have given you permission to cut lots of trees, desecate seas, throw every kind of imaginable chemical compound to the atmosphere and chase animals until their extinction. And yet I'm not sending tornadoes and earthquakes to every single city on Earth every second day, as I should. You're in no position to ask for anything but mercy.

You think? I was a bit scared reading that. I backed away from the monitor slowly.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Mother Nature: I don't remember to have given you permission to cut lots of trees, desecate seas, throw every kind of imaginable chemical compound to the atmosphere and chase animals until their extinction. And yet I'm not sending tornadoes and earthquakes to every single city on Earth every second day, as I should. You're in no position to ask for anything but mercy.

You think? I was a bit scared reading that. I backed away from the monitor slowly.

The truth, the whole truth an' nothin' but the truth. Hey man!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:The provisional results on the Formula1.com website indicate that the drivers would line up in numerical order at the moment http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/839/6794/
Now, that reporter was discussing what would happen if Charlie Whiting decided that the conditions were unsafe for qualifying to occur tomorrow - in that case, they would line up in numerical order (albeit with Hamilton out of place with his grid penalty for a new gearbox). However, should the session start, and then be stopped before the scheduled time, then we would go by the procedure you outline.
So, strictly speaking, he was correct for the circumstances that he mentioned, where no qualifying session takes place at all.

I nominate the BBC guy not because he was right, but because he was advocating it since it would put McLaren first and second on the grid.

Besides, Article 36 outlines procedure for this kind of thing. If qualifying is abandoned, cars are put into four groups: 1) cars that set a lap time, 2) cars that attempted to, 3) cars that did not leave pit lane and 4) cars that did not leave the pit box. Numerical order only applies to cars within those groups.
razta

Post by razta »

ROTR: All that crap about cars causing Global warming
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:
mario wrote:The provisional results on the Formula1.com website indicate that the drivers would line up in numerical order at the moment http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/839/6794/

I nominate the BBC guy not because he was right, but because he was advocating it since it would put McLaren first and second on the grid.

Besides, Article 36 outlines procedure for this kind of thing. If qualifying is abandoned, cars are put into four groups: 1) cars that set a lap time, 2) cars that attempted to, 3) cars that did not leave pit lane and 4) cars that did not leave the pit box. Numerical order only applies to cars within those groups.

To play devils advocate here for a bit, it is not altogether unsurprising that this particular reporter would have made this comment because it would have put Mclaren on the front row (or at least it would have until it turned out that Hamilton needed to replace his gearbox).
Much as the BBC may try to be reasonably neutral, there will be some national bias - there would probably be much the same comments in the German media, say, if Mercedes were to profit from this system, or the Italian media if Ferrari had benefitted. The comments may have been misguided, and a bit bone headed, but probably no worse then what others would have said in the circumstances if they benefitted, and aren't that reject worthy.

Besides, you could argue that there are better candidates, like Hamilton's gearbox troubles, which will relegate him back a few rows and out of the championship pack (because, like him or not, the race would probably be more interesting if he is up amongst the front runners).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Captain Hammer wrote:I nominate the BBC guy not because he was right, but because he was advocating it since it would put McLaren first and second on the grid.

If you're talking about Kravitz, balls was he 'advocating' it. He jokingly suggested to Martin Whitmarsh that McLaren wouldn't be upset if that happens. At no point did anyone suggest directly to camera or the audience that it would be a good thing.

Captain Hammer wrote:Besides, Article 36 outlines procedure for this kind of thing. If qualifying is abandoned, cars are put into four groups: 1) cars that set a lap time, 2) cars that attempted to, 3) cars that did not leave pit lane and 4) cars that did not leave the pit box. Numerical order only applies to cars within those groups.

And how many cars will be in the first three groups if the qualifying session doesn't even start?
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Jordan192 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:I nominate the BBC guy not because he was right, but because he was advocating it since it would put McLaren first and second on the grid.

If you're talking about Kravitz, balls was he 'advocating' it. He jokingly suggested to Martin Whitmarsh that McLaren wouldn't be upset if that happens. At no point did anyone suggest directly to camera or the audience that it would be a good thing.

I think Ted does a great job at pit-lane reporting but let's be fair, he does seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time in the McLaren garage
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Whatever happened to grids being determined by practice times in the event that qualifying doesn't run? I feel that would be a more fair procedure than numbers, which would have the Mercedes GP cars in a spot that they most likely would not deserve.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

patrick wrote:
Jordan192 wrote:

I think Ted does a great job at pit-lane reporting but let's be fair, he does seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time in the McLaren garage

Well, he's only working for an English TV station and McLaren are only an English team with two English drivers.
mario

Post by mario »

patrick wrote:
Jordan192 wrote:

That could also be down to access, as Mclaren may be more likely to welcome a member of the BBC compared to, say, Ferrari (who would probably give first preference to a reporter from Rai). And he has started doing a post race video blog (he started in Singapore), where he looked at multiple teams (Red Bull, Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams and Lotus) - so he doesn't always spend his time at Mclaren (and, recently, they have been bringing more updates to try to close the gap to the front two teams, making it more interesting to hang around them - although, according to Legard, Mclaren seem to be reverting to the older specification rear wing for Sunday).

The bit on Lotus was interesting, because he was able to sift through some of the charred remains of Heikki's car (mostly the rear bodywork and parts of the floor), and show how extensive the damage was (extensive enough to write off the chassis completely - although Lotus sent it back to the UK for analysis, in case it might be possible to repair the damaged sections). He was also able to poke around a bit on the pit wall at Ferrari, which is the sort of thing that normally would be off limits during the race.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Enforcer wrote:Well, he's only working for an English TV station and McLaren are only an English team with two English drivers.

British.
Sorry but that always annoys me (and I'm English).
Making up the numbers
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

LukeB wrote:
Enforcer wrote:Well, he's only working for an English TV station and McLaren are only an English team with two English drivers.

British.
Sorry but that always annoys me (and I'm English).

doesnt bother me... I don't consider myself british despite having a british passport
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

WeirdKerr wrote:doesnt bother me... I don't consider myself british despite having a british passport

*shrug* Even if you were to consider McLaren and the drivers English rather then British, the BBC is funded by and provides programming to Briton, it can't be consided an English TV station.
And now I'm going to shut up because this is hardly the forum to debate what consititues national identity :D
Making up the numbers
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

razta wrote:ROTR: All that crap about cars causing Global warming

I'm gonna cause more pointless debate here by pointing out something that really gets on my nerves. Global warming will cause hotter AND WETTER conditions. Not saying the weather today was caused by global warming but I hate the assumption that global warming would immetiately cause all water to dissapear from the planet.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Tealy wrote:

I'm gonna cause more pointless debate here by pointing out something that really gets on my nerves. Global warming will cause hotter AND WETTER conditions. Not saying the weather today was caused by global warming but I hate the assumption that global warming would immetiately cause all water to dissapear from the planet.

Yes. The correct term is Climate Change; you hardly ever hear mention global warming, since it only translates one part of the problem (average global temperature increase) and fails to recognise both the localised and the global Climate Change effects.

This, I note, is not the best place to discuss the matter. Apologies to all. Upcoming post on my blog tomorrow on motorsports and Climate Change; if Enoch and Jamie agree, I'll eventually submit it as an article on the site as well.

Moving right along...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Of course it's crap, if it was true, why is it so cold where I live?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Ferrim wrote:

I would have that as my signature but it exceeds the word count :(

As for rejectdom, seems like Hamilton by default, so far
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Felipe Massa - This is not how you destroy rumours trying to write you out of your Ferrari.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Klon wrote:Felipe Massa - This is not how you destroy rumours trying to write you out of your Ferrari.

True, I think his motivation is rather damaged at the moment, he definately isn't helping himself...
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Toro Rosso and your rain gambling in FP3.

Also, Felipe Massa for miss Q3.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

redbulljack14 wrote:Of course it's crap, if it was true, why is it so cold where I live?

Cold... In UK? Heck, we had some brits over to Norway some weeks ago, and they were surprised about seeing snow... I mean, it is usual to get -30 to 45 in the winter here, so I would welcome global warming if it hadn't been for one thing, it will most likely shut down the gulf -stream, and that will make it even colder...
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Lucas di Grassi; smashing his way into the lead!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Dkracer

Post by Dkracer »

Lucas di Grassi- So horrified at the performance of his cars he refuses to drive it and crashes his car.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Renault Epic'ly Failed, De Grassi Failed, but they are no rejects.

Not compared to the complete failiure of racing, and deciding on driving like an online spaniard, and then blame the incident on someone else as you stomp through the pit lane.

Felipe Massa, REJECT of the race.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Hamilton's gearboxes because who has to replace one, only to lose third gear in the new one?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Lucas di Grassi - I don't care what the excuse is, you joined a rare list of drivers, Roberto Guerrero, Alain Prost, Kevin Cogan, and everyone who Adrian Fernandez took out in the 1996 US500 as drivers who CRASHED before the START of a race.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Felipe Massa needed a good race and didn't even make it round the first corner.
That is all, I'm in far too good a mood to focus on the negatives. Go Kobayashi go! :D
Making up the numbers