What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Spectoremg

Re: What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

Post by Spectoremg »

Ta for the vids. If nothing else they highlight the broken promises that tax payers ultimately have to bear the brunt of. You'd think Bernie would care? :roll:
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

So it appears that story about Turkey I posted last week was not accurate :

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31862.html

It turned out the reports were wide of the mark, when Intercity's chief said the track "still has a grade 1 FIA licence" and could therefore return to the calendar "in the future".

Can't really see it happening, but prospects are at least a bit better than reported.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Spectoremg wrote:Ta for the vids. If nothing else they highlight the broken promises that tax payers ultimately have to bear the brunt of. You'd think Bernie would care? :roll:

The only thing Bernie cares about is that the cheques he receives don't bounce. He'd axe all of the European races and move the entire series to Asia Minor if he thought it'd make him a couple of quid more.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I read recently that the Mexico track will now have a corner named Mansell. Apparently it's a corner that even when you think you're through it it comes back again and again. There's also a big hedge across the track in honour of the 'tache. Should be interesting.
Just For One Day...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

CoopsII wrote:I read recently that the Mexico track will now have a corner named Mansell. Apparently it's a corner that even when you think you're through it it comes back again and again. There's also a big hedge across the track in honour of the 'tache. Should be interesting.

There's also a low bridge, and a big bump, in honour of this moment :

https://youtu.be/xOa4LSuHVDg
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

madmark1974 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I read recently that the Mexico track will now have a corner named Mansell. Apparently it's a corner that even when you think you're through it it comes back again and again. There's also a big hedge across the track in honour of the 'tache. Should be interesting.

There's also a low bridge, and a big bump, in honour of this moment :

https://youtu.be/xOa4LSuHVDg
Thanks for that, if only to remind me of the slimy Balestre!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

But I'm supposed to be going there next year! Well there, Spa or Le Mans but come on!
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Same old, same old. The bit about selling off the lease for that land seems very short-sighted. I'd hope whoever signed that off got a bit of hairdryer treatment.

I cannot believe an annual 5% escalator on the race hosting fee is "below average" as well. That's just nuts. When you're paying £16m for just one weekend of action. Madness.

We'll look back on this period of history with our heads in our hands. Although I'd rather like to think we'll be able to laugh about it. Maybe someone will see sense soon.

Love him or loathe him, Gary Hartstein has some interesting ideas on the matter of circuits and race fees...
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Haha jesus christ that's brilliant. God bless family friendly forums! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Not F1 (and not likely to ever be), but the fascinatingly-titled Circuit Of Wales has been given the final go-ahead today!

Some bloke said ...

“I am passionate about the economic and social benefits that a venue such as the Circuit of Wales will bring, and firmly believe that the time is ripe for this development not only as an amazing entertainment and leisure centre, but also as an invaluable resource for the entire British motorsport and automotive industry.”

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/11/18/final-approval-given-for-315m-circuit-of-wales-project/190219

I am guessing that this news will be greeted with lots of "I'll believe it when I see it" type reactions.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:Not F1 (and not likely to ever be), but the fascinatingly-titled Circuit Of Wales has been given the final go-ahead today!

Some bloke said ...

“I am passionate about the economic and social benefits that a venue such as the Circuit of Wales will bring, and firmly believe that the time is ripe for this development not only as an amazing entertainment and leisure centre, but also as an invaluable resource for the entire British motorsport and automotive industry.”

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/11/18/final-approval-given-for-315m-circuit-of-wales-project/190219

I am guessing that this news will be greeted with lots of "I'll believe it when I see it" type reactions.

Indeed. My thoughts on the matter.

And a follow-up to those thoughts.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And Bernie is twisting the screw further into Monza

Surely Ferrari won't let the octogenarian cancel their home grand prix?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:And Bernie is twisting the screw further into Monza

Surely Ferrari won't let the octogenarian cancel their home grand prix?

He won't win any popularity contests if he lets that happen. But then, he probably doesn't care about that if the Euro-dollar-pounds are rolling in...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

A bit of news about the Circuit Of Wales ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35526111

Might it actually be happening?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:A bit of news about the Circuit Of Wales ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35526111

Might it actually be happening?

Well it's certainly a move in the right direction. I hope Aviva aren't looking to recoup that expenditure in the short term though! That sort of money will take years to get back, especially as all the track will have is MotoGP, though it would be cool if the BTCC, BSB and British GT packages went there too.

I see the BBC are still quoting 750,000 visitors a year though! And 6,000 jobs created! For what exactly? :facepalm:

For comparison, in 2014, Silverstone estimated that...

Silverstone wrote:Silverstone is in operation 361 days a year, hosting over 40 race meetings/events, attracting over 750,000 visitors to Northamptonshire & generating over £80 million into the local economy (not including the FIA F1 spend)

whilst in 2014 the British GP created...

Silverstone wrote:Employment of 1,358 FTE jobs, of which 497 were within the 60 mile radius and 319 in the county of Northamptonshire.

Source. Make your own minds up.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Circuit of Wales project doesn't seem to have much government support, despite the need to create jobs in the area. The Welsh government refused to underwrite it, which is just as well as I can't see it being anything other than a white elephant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35981794
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0HmON ... e=youtu.be

If the Baku circuit is anything like the video, it will be a proper street circuit in a city centre, none of this marina bay/reclaimed Olympic venue rubbish! I guess we'll have to see if it looks as cool with all the armco barriers in place.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The kink in front of the grandstand by the name of Khazar looks dangerous due to a lack of available space for necessary runoff. The track layout is taking unnecessary risks. I do not like it.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

With Turkey seemingly getting more dictatorial by the day, how likely do you think it is that they will bid again for a Grand Prix in the name of prestige? Would Istambul Park be still available? Bernie surely likes these kind of clients and the track at Kurtkoy is his anyway.

What do you think?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yannick wrote:With Turkey seemingly getting more dictatorial by the day, how likely do you think it is that they will bid again for a Grand Prix in the name of prestige? Would Istambul Park be still available? Bernie surely likes these kind of clients and the track at Kurtkoy is his anyway.

What do you think?

I think every day that goes by Erdogan becomes more and more like Ecclestones kind of guy.

So, yes. Expect it on the 2017 calendar any day now.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:
Yannick wrote:With Turkey seemingly getting more dictatorial by the day, how likely do you think it is that they will bid again for a Grand Prix in the name of prestige? Would Istambul Park be still available? Bernie surely likes these kind of clients and the track at Kurtkoy is his anyway.

What do you think?

I think every day that goes by Erdogan becomes more and more like Ecclestones kind of guy.

So, yes. Expect it on the 2017 calendar any day now.

There is no third world hellhole where Bernie won't go if you dangle a large enough sum of money in front of him. besides I always liked Istanbul Raceway
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:There is no third world hellhole where Bernie won't go if you dangle a large enough sum of money in front of him.

So if Mugabe were to dangle money in front of Bernie, Africa would feature on the calendar again? I wouldn't put it past him. He would probably justify it in the name of calendar diversity or something.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:There is no third world hellhole where Bernie won't go if you dangle a large enough sum of money in front of him.

So if Mugabe were to dangle money in front of Bernie, Africa would feature on the calendar again? I wouldn't put it past him. He would probably justify it in the name of calendar diversity or something.

Mugabe and money.... well, i'm sure Bernie is very keen on receiving a billion billion Zimbabwese dollars.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Mugabe and money.... well, i'm sure Bernie is very keen on receiving a billion billion Zimbabwese dollars.

When will we get over Zimbabwean dollar jokes? Zimbabwe has nine official currencies, which itself is just waiting to be joked about, but not one of them is the Z$.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:When will we get over Zimbabwean dollar jokes? Zimbabwe has nine official currencies, which itself is just waiting to be joked about, but not one of them is the Z$.

Indeed. The Zimbabwean dollar has been consigned to the hyperinflation history books for about seven years.

Besides (steering this onto a Hungarian theme), the pengo put everything to shame in 1946:

Value: 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 pengo, which in July 1946 was still worth less than one US dollar if I've got my maths correct.

Tough times indeed...
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Image

Value: 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 pengo, which in July 1946 was still worth less than one US dollar if I've got my maths correct.

How much bigger than a trillion is that?!?!?!
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:

That is 100 quintillion. For camparison:

1 trillion = 1,000,000,000,000
1 quintillion = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

In other words, big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is!
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:

It's 100 quintillion, on the American scale. And still the Hungarian pengo has nothing on the hyperinflation of the Yugoslav dinar in the early 1990s as the country ripped itself to shreds.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

That is 100 quintillion. For camparison:

1 trillion = 1,000,000,000,000
1 quintillion = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

In other words, big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is!

I think I am right in thinking that the whole world's economy is less than a quintillion US dollars? So a 100 quintillion is a symbol of massive hyperinflation in any currency!
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

dr-baker wrote:So a 100 quintillion is a symbol of massive hyperinflation in any currency!

100 quintillion would require the invention of a new word to describe such a massive amount of inflation :)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Not sure if this will affect the British GP in the future, but it's been reported that Jonathan Palmer and MSV have made a bid to buy Silverstone.

Given Palmer already owns Snetterton, Brands Hatch and Oulton Park, I guess he wants to complete the full set of top-line British racing circuits. :P
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

East Londoner wrote:Not sure if this will affect the British GP in the future, but it's been reported that Jonathan Palmer and MSV have made a bid to buy Silverstone.

Given Palmer already owns Snetterton, Brands Hatch and Oulton Park, I guess he wants to complete the full set of top-line British racing circuits. :P

Maybe he wants to give Jolyon an unfair advantage on Silverstone?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

After yesterday's procession, Mexico hopefully. This place now puts spectators (the ridiculous baseball stadium) ahead of the spectacle, ie racing. Checo must love that view of Massa's car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Mexico.
Just For One Day...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

CoopsII wrote:Mexico.

The chances of that happening are currently rather, well, Slim. :pantano:

After all, wasn't it Bernie who said something along the lines of "in any city around the world, when you ask 'Where is Mexico City?' most people will say 'Mexico.'"?
So the real reason being held at Hermanos Rodriguez and not some other Mexican racetrack is some solid market research. :chilton:
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Bernie is putting the pressure on Interlagos and Hockenheim. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/eccle ... 17-849042/
He says he believes Hockenheim won't have a race next year.

Well, 2017 would have been Nürburgring's turn to host the event under the current contract, not Hockenheim's, but the circuit has since been sold. I'm not sure if Hockenheim is back for 2018, though.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I don't know if this is going to worse Interlagos situation, but the new major of São Paulo city wants to sell the circuit.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Singapore edges towards the exit door

I can't help but feel the entire house of cards is about to collapse at this rate. Brazil, Canada, Germany and Malaysia are all on the abyss and the long-term outlook for Britain doesn't look good either, what with the ownership saga at Silverstone. That's almost a third of the calendar.

Meanwhile, the Brazilian organisers are starting to play hardball with Bernie. I wonder if we'll see IndyCar nab Interlagos if the grand prix is dropped, given they would like to get a Brazilian round back on their calendar, especially since Kanaan and Castroneves are still massive fan favourites.