KERS

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Re: KERS

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:By the way, the FIA - which certainly reads F1Rejects - has announced that budget-capped teams will be able to either double the power or double the time of KERS usage per lap. It might be an advantage in that situation.

er.... aaa..... you say that FIA READS ME?????

DAMN! All this time making nonsene in underwear with a beer can in front of my PC and Mosley been.. oh, god! Shame on me! shame, on me! :)

Yup, they've got you! Really, now, it has nothing to do with the brakes themselves. It takes "waste" power from the engine during braking.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Is it going to be worth anyone running KERS in Monaco? It seems increasingly like the most value from KERS is in defending against faster non KERS cars - look at Massa in Spain today keeping Vettel behind him. I can only see it as a weight penalty for Monaco...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

noisebox wrote:Is it going to be worth anyone running KERS in Monaco? It seems increasingly like the most value from KERS is in defending against faster non KERS cars - look at Massa in Spain today keeping Vettel behind him. I can only see it as a weight penalty for Monaco...

I suppose it will help in Monaco. Weight issues impact mostly on cars' equilibrium, hurting more in fast bends, of which Monaco has virtually none. On the other hand, having a bucket-load of torque will help on the climb after the first corner, into the tunnel and out of the chicane near the pools. Curiously, it could help a lot, as long as there is no impact on aero - so BMW won't use it, because it impacts on their new rear, losing them downforce.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I suppose it will help in Monaco. Weight issues impact mostly on cars' equilibrium, hurting more in fast bends, of which Monaco has virtually none. On the other hand, having a bucket-load of torque will help on the climb after the first corner, into the tunnel and out of the chicane near the pools. Curiously, it could help a lot, as long as there is no impact on aero - so BMW won't use it, because it impacts on their new rear, losing them downforce.

I think Monaco will be the most marginal circuit for it - it could be worth it for the start alone - if it only gains one place it will pay off.

As an aside you mention torque - we all know KERS gives and extra 80HP - how much extra torque does it give?
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

No idea on the torque figures, but I'd like to know. It's what electric engines are most appreciated for.

I'd say Barcelona was the most marginal circuit for KERS. The pilots were using all of it out of that silly last chicane all the way into the straight - hardly optimal. The same goes for any flowing track where the focus is on aero efficiency, like Spa or Suzuka.

In Monaco, anyone will thank the boost out of Ste Devote or out of the Chicane, in 2nd gear. In Ste Devote there's even a steep hill ahead. If any of the KERS drivers survives the start (carnage predicted!), they might do well.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

My prediction:

KERS in Monaco + grid position at the lower end of the grid = crash on the start straight
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

My prediction:

KERS at Monaco:

Anyone behind the KERS-cars doomed to be stuck behind them even worse than usually in monaco.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)