Looks Like Kimi Is Surely Out Now

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

Looks Like Kimi Is Surely Out Now

Post by Nin13 »

Guys read a really good article on grandprix.com about Alonso, Ferrari, Santander and Marlboro connection.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21709.html

This article just gives very good idea that Kimi is certain to leave Ferrari at end of 2009 with Massa and Alonso pairing for next year!!
For Ferrari to allow its most valuable asset like Kimi to rally and crash 2 times was difficult thing to accept!!

One of the enduring rumours of recent months has been that Fernando Alonso will move to Ferrari next year with sponsorship coming from the Spanish financial services company Grupo Santander. It is expected that there will be an official announcement of the deal at the Italian Grand Prix in September. The intention was for Alonso to come in to Ferrari and partner Felipe Massa and this may still happen, depending on the fitness of the Brazilian. Kimi Raikkonen seems to be out of the picture. The fact that Ferrari is willing to allow one of its major assets to take part in a World Rally Championship event - from which he exited rolling twice into a forest - suggests that the team is not really bothered about him in the future. One cannot imagine any major F1 team allowing such a thing these days given the investment that has to be made in the drivers.

Alonso wants only to race a truly competitive car. After two World Championships at Renault he moved to McLaren hoping for great things. Santander joined him. The deal was for three years with an option to extend two more. This was a good move at the time as the Spanish bank could use Lewis Hamilton to promote the rebranding of its British subsidiaries while Alonso could be used for promotions in the Spanish-speaking world. The troubles at McLaren in 2007 led to the early departure of Fernando and caused Santander to have a rethink about the sponsorship. It was agreed that the bank would stay for the three years as agreed, but would not take up its option for 2010 and 2011.

Alonso wanted to go to Ferrari in 2008 but the team had no space for him so he settled for Renault, unconvinced by the other options available. It is believed that Alonso signed a pre-contract with Ferrari at the end of last year to join the team in 2010. Ferrari then turned around and used this to bid for the Santander money. Ferrari's problem was that Santander wanted primary sponsorship but could not have it because Ferrari had previously agreed a deal with tobacco company Philip Morris International (PMI), the owners of the Marlboro brand, to continue until the end of 2011. Originally PMI had wanted to stop funding Ferrari at the end of this year, despite a deal that ran to 2011. PMI has long owned the entire sponsorship space on the Ferrari and sells it on to other sponsors, at a premium of around 30% on top of the price it paid. In order to keep the Marlboro money Ferrari promised to significantly increase the money that PMI made from the sponsorship. Santander was keen to join the party with Alonso and so a deal was agreed that will begin in 2010 and will provide Santander with significant badging on the car and an option to become title sponsor in 2011, PMI with a much better return on its investment, Alonso with the hope that he might be able to win another World Championship while Ferrari has the budget it needs - a win-win situation for all concerned.

'Ferrari To Pay-Off Raikkonen'
Ferrari are reportedly set to dump Kimi Raikkonen at the end of this season, offering the Finn a massive pay-off to step aside for Fernando Alonso. Rumours of Raikkonen's pending dismissal began last season when poor results and what appeared to be a lack of motivation on the 2007 World Champion's behalf grabbed headlines.

The speculation grew this year as the Finn competed in his debut World Rally Championship event, even revealing that rallying could be his future line of work when his current Ferrari deal expires at the end of 2010.

According to The Sun, a Formula One insider has revealed that the Scuderia are intent on dumping Raikkonen, offering him a massive pay-off. 'They say the Italian giants have told the 2007 World Champion he can have half the value of his 2010 contract - thought to be worth £25million - to end it one year early,' the tabloid has reported.

Should Raikkonen part ways with Ferrari at the end of the season it would pave the way for Alonso's arrival with the double World Champion believed to already have a contract for 2011.

From: http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954, ... 96,00.html

I'm really sad to see how Massa has beaten Kimi so regularly for last 1 year and more!! Its as if pre 2006 Kimi is still sleeping!!
I think Kimi is now thinking more of his rallying carrer.

As a old Ferrari fan I'm actually happy about this news!!
I think instead of Alonso, I would be more happy if Kubica OR Rosberg was the driver replacing Kimi!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Debaser

Re: Looks Like Kimi Is Surely Out Now

Post by Debaser »

Most of this is just stating the obvious, the only thing noteworthy is the stuff about the sponsors for Ferrari which I didn't know much about before and makes sense since Alonso is definitely going to Ferrari next year. Also if your a Ferrari fan you don't want Alonso??? He's the best overall driver in F1.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

If you're a Ferrari fan, I think that's exactly what you want. Or failing that, at least a driver capable of conveying more than one emotion.
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Jordan wrote:If you're a Ferrari fan, I think that's exactly what you want. Or failing that, at least a driver capable of conveying more than one emotion.

As I said I was old Ferrari fan (in other words Schumi fan), when he left Ferrari does not mean anything for me anymore!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

I think Ive read in 2006 or 2007 that Kimi was considering to retire at the end of 2009...But I wonder, will Briatore let Alfonso off?
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
Libertango

Post by Libertango »

And the source is the Sun :roll:

But I wonder, will Briatore let Alfonso off?

He has no choice. There a clause in his contract that says that if Renault don't give Alonso a car that allows him to fight for the World Championnship Title, he can leave.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

old Ferrari fan (in other words Schumi fan),

In that case I know a few 'old old Ferrari' fans.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

If this goes ahead it would make Alonso a pay driver of sorts...... lol
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Surely Ferrari fans will welcome the signing of arguably the best all round driver in F1? If I were a Ferrari fan, I would want Alonso in the team, as I know he would deliver the goods if he were to have a good car.

I'm not a fan of Raikkonen's at all, and I really do think he is a big morale sapper, as he just doesn't have the motivation required to lead a team. He also isn't fit enough. Look at the number of times he is read in the face compared to other drivers after a race, he just looks ill. That's what drinking too much alcohol does to him in my opinion.

This news comes as no surprise to me, the only question is will it be this year or next year that Ferrari dump Raikkonen. It really needs to be at the end of this year in my opinion.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

jackanderton wrote:
old Ferrari fan (in other words Schumi fan),

In that case I know a few 'old old Ferrari' fans.

... like me, for instance.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Libertango wrote:And the source is the Sun :roll:

If you print enough rumors, half-truths, and out-right lies the law of averages guarantees that some will turn out to be true.
Making up the numbers
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

LukeB wrote:
Libertango wrote:And the source is the Sun :roll:

If you print enough rumors, half-truths, and out-right lies the law of averages guarantees that some will turn out to be true.

So The Sun is like Iltalehti/Ilta-Sanomat here, sensationalism mistaken for journalism.
(the aforementioned newspapers also reported about Ferrari buying out Kimi and Alsonso getting to Ferrari thanks to Santander three weeks ago. They also reported Rosberg was heading for BMW....)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I wish people would stop and think for once. Ferrari deny the Alonso connection. Alonso denies a Ferrari connection. Massa and Raikkonen deny they're going anywhere. Every time Kimi has a dud result, it's usually a result of a balls-up by the team - sending him out on extreme wets in Malaysia, holding him in the pit during Q1 - and the Spanish media are pushing for it. The only reason anyone believes it is because a) an Italian magazine ran a cover with Alonso's head photoshopped onto Kimi's body and b) a Finnish news agency didn't check the authenticity of one of the Spanish articles and a whole lot was both lost and gained in translation.

As for Ferrari letting Kimi rally, it has nothing to do with them not caring for his safety. Finnish children are taught how to drive almost as soon as they can see over the steering wheel. They have some of the most exceptional car-control skills in the world; if you don't believe me, get on YouTube and check out the video of Mika Hakkinen teaching James May how to rally.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:I wish people would stop and think for once. Ferrari deny the Alonso connection. Alonso denies a Ferrari connection. Massa and Raikkonen deny they're going anywhere.

You're forgetting the first rule of F1 - if someone denies it, then it automatically come true.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

James Allen said on his website a while back Alonso is definitely going to Ferrari in 2010, and pointed out that Schumi denied a link to Ferrari before joining them in 1996. Also I doubt there would be this much speculation if it wasn't true, I expect Alonso to join Ferrari next year.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:As for Ferrari letting Kimi rally, it has nothing to do with them not caring for his safety. Finnish children are taught how to drive almost as soon as they can see over the steering wheel. They have some of the most exceptional car-control skills in the world; if you don't believe me, get on YouTube and check out the video of Mika Hakkinen teaching James May how to rally.

Much as I agree with the first paragraph, I don't buy this last part. It is highly unusual nowadays for teams to allow they drivers to race outside Formula 1 - Bourdais in the Le Mans 24 Hours is the exception that springs to mind - and it's not just a question of brand incoherence, it's also a matter of them not getting hurt, and a F1 Team not having a driver that has silly accidents and is beaten in Sport Prototypes. Or rolls a Punto.

The Alonso connection has been discussed for a long time. Arguably, it was Massa that ruined it: by not being steam-rolled by Kimi, and beating him consistently, he raise questions about who's the best driver.

Perhaps Luca just wants to have the option of Alonso to put some pressure on his drivers. Ferrari and Alonso both prefer a situation where there is a clear-cut first driver alongside a support artist. For me, that is the greatest question mark over Alonso's entrance into Ferrari: neither Kimi nor Massa would want to play second fiddle.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Captain Hammer wrote:I wish people would stop and think for once. Ferrari deny the Alonso connection. Alonso denies a Ferrari connection. Massa and Raikkonen deny they're going anywhere. Every time Kimi has a dud result, it's usually a result of a balls-up by the team - sending him out on extreme wets in Malaysia, holding him in the pit during Q1 - and the Spanish media are pushing for it. The only reason anyone believes it is because a) an Italian magazine ran a cover with Alonso's head photoshopped onto Kimi's body and b) a Finnish news agency didn't check the authenticity of one of the Spanish articles and a whole lot was both lost and gained in translation.

Yes, some of the speculation is a bit over the top, but the point is that Alonso going to Ferrari is very likely as far as I can see when I listen carefully to some of the comments Alonso has made. It may yet be that it doesn't happen in 2010, but I think it is becoming increasingly likely, because Raikkonen just isn't committed on a consistent enough basis, and gets paid an awful lot of money for sub par performances.

I don't buy the argument that Raikkonen's poor performances are down to the car. He was outclassed by Massa last year, and he only won the title in 2007 because Alonso and Hamilton were so preoccupied with each other that they took their eye of the ball. He isn't as good as some people would have you believe in my opinion, and he isn't fit enough.

There is also uncertainty about Massa's return, because it is still unclear how serious his eye injury is. I really hope he does come back, but if he can't, that does leave a seat open.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote: neither Kimi nor Massa would want to play second fiddle.

THAT my friends, is the reasons Alonso won't come to Ferrari in the near future. He remembers 2007 too clearly
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote: neither Kimi nor Massa would want to play second fiddle.

THAT my friends, is the reasons Alonso won't come to Ferrari in the near future. He remembers 2007 too clearly

My thoughts exactly. Unless... maybe Piquet as a team mate in Ferrari? :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

If it's about sponsorship and decent machinery next year then Brawn has to be the answer for Alonso - a decent car looking for a lead sponsor? The Santander/Brawn/Mercedes team with Alonso and Button. :lol:
ps. Before any of the forum prefects make comment: I did think about this before I posted it.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

The big question would be though is would Massa be consistently quick enough to concern Alonso?

I know he's beaten Raikkonen, but I don't think Raikkonen is anywhere near as good as Alonso, so would Fernando really be worried about having Massa as his team mate? I don't have an answer to the question myself, but I think it makes for an interesting debate.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Osiris13 wrote:If it's about sponsorship and decent machinery next year then Brawn has to be the answer for Alonso - a decent car looking for a lead sponsor? The Santander/Brawn/Mercedes team with Alonso and Button. :lol:
ps. Before any of the forum prefects make comment: I did think about this before I posted it.

Considering the last 3 races and how they panned out (only 1 poduim in total for that time for Brawn) I'm guessing that next year's car is only going to be a upper-midfield car at best. And that is not what Alonso wants.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Irisado wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:I wish people would stop and think for once. Ferrari deny the Alonso connection. Alonso denies a Ferrari connection. Massa and Raikkonen deny they're going anywhere. Every time Kimi has a dud result, it's usually a result of a balls-up by the team - sending him out on extreme wets in Malaysia, holding him in the pit during Q1 - and the Spanish media are pushing for it. The only reason anyone believes it is because a) an Italian magazine ran a cover with Alonso's head photoshopped onto Kimi's body and b) a Finnish news agency didn't check the authenticity of one of the Spanish articles and a whole lot was both lost and gained in translation.

Yes, some of the speculation is a bit over the top, but the point is that Alonso going to Ferrari is very likely as far as I can see when I listen carefully to some of the comments Alonso has made. It may yet be that it doesn't happen in 2010, but I think it is becoming increasingly likely, because Raikkonen just isn't committed on a consistent enough basis, and gets paid an awful lot of money for sub par performances.

I don't buy the argument that Raikkonen's poor performances are down to the car. He was outclassed by Massa last year, and he only won the title in 2007 because Alonso and Hamilton were so preoccupied with each other that they took their eye of the ball. He isn't as good as some people would have you believe in my opinion, and he isn't fit enough.

There is also uncertainty about Massa's return, because it is still unclear how serious his eye injury is. I really hope he does come back, but if he can't, that does leave a seat open.

Sorry, but I think it's utter bullsh*t. Everybody's looking for a reason for Kimi to be let go, but you could do that for just about any driver this year save fo maybe Button, Webber and Vettel.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sorry, but I think it's utter bullsh*t. Everybody's looking for a reason for Kimi to be let go, but you could do that for just about any driver this year save fo maybe Button, Webber and Vettel.

I'll gladly admit to the fact that I will dance around my room and cheer when I hear that Raikkonen is leaving Formula 1, but the point still remains that if he were performing like a World Champion, there would be no doubt that he would keep his seat. He isn't performing like a World Champion, and rarely has performed like a World Champion, hence why there is uncertainty over his future.

As for looking for reasons for other drivers to go, just remind me how much money Raikkonen gets paid relative to some of the other drivers, and then compare that to his performances and ask yourself whether or not Ferrari are getting good value for money.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Irisado wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Sorry, but I think it's utter bullsh*t. Everybody's looking for a reason for Kimi to be let go, but you could do that for just about any driver this year save fo maybe Button, Webber and Vettel.

I'll gladly admit to the fact that I will dance around my room and cheer when I hear that Raikkonen is leaving Formula 1, but the point still remains that if he were performing like a World Champion, there would be no doubt that he would keep his seat. He isn't performing like a World Champion, and rarely has performed like a World Champion, hence why there is uncertainty over his future.

As for looking for reasons for other drivers to go, just remind me how much money Raikkonen gets paid relative to some of the other drivers, and then compare that to his performances and ask yourself whether or not Ferrari are getting good value for money.

You can't rightly blame Raikkonen's poor showing this season entirely on him and him alone. The car wasn't great to begin with, but you have to remember that in Australia, he had a differenitla problem. In Malaysia, the team sent him out on extreme wets when the track was dry. He struggled in China, but at that point, the car was still nothing great. In Bahrain, he took Ferrari's first points of the season. In Spain, the team kept him in the pits during Q1 because they assumed his time would be good enough for Q2, despite having made the selfsame mistake with Massa in Malaysia, and then in the race he had a hydraulics problem. He qualified second in Monaco and then scored Ferrari's first podium of the season. True, he didn't have the best showing in Turkey, but he was less than four seconds off a points finish. In Britain, he scored another point, even if he couldn't match Massa. In Germany, his radiator packed it in. And, of course, in Hungary he bettered his Monaco podium.

So what's really the problem here? Ignoring his podiums and points finishes because they're podiums and points finishes, and mechanical gremlins and team screw-ups for the same reason, what has Kimi done wrong? He's had two races - China and Turkey - that were disappointing. Two races, and both of them early in a season when Ferrari's best hope was to be the third-best car overall, which means a best finish of fifth or sixth would be expected.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain, I think the problem here is we all expected Kimi to destroy Massa (who's always been perceived as a #2 driver, and was kept in Ferrari for that reason). We also expected Kimi to set all tracks alight no matter what. We expect him to be the best, and like Alonso or Hamilton, to overdrive the thing attempting to compensate the shortcomings with talent. He doesn't seem to do it, at least ever since he came to Ferrari. That's a disapointment.

Now, I would simply hate to see him of F1, and I have created a topic some time ago requesting his return to McLaren, where he always looked more at ease an confident. Maybe he just doesn't like the environment in Ferrari?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Captain Hammer wrote:You can't rightly blame Raikkonen's poor showing this season entirely on him and him alone.

I'm not just talking about 2009 though, I'm talking about 2008 as well. Ferrari had a much better car last year, and Raikkonen was still poor in my opinion. It's not that he's had a shockingly bad season this year, but he has just been so ordinary, and seems so totally uninspired.

Malaysia is a prime example. Ferrari's press officer stated that Ferrari were working on repairing his car for a possible restart, but Raikkonen had changed into his shorts and was eating ice cream! What sort of message does that send? To me that shows a lack of interest and motivation. When was the last time you saw Alonso and Hamilton waltzing around the garage in shorts and a t-shirt eating an ice cream before a race was officially over? It just sends out all the wrong vibes. This 'shrug your shoulders' attitude that Raikkonen exudes has never convinced me, and I don't think it is a very fitting example for a World Champion to set.

The car wasn't great to begin with, but you have to remember that in Australia, he had a differenitla problem.

Was that before or after he hit the wall ;) ?

In Spain, the team kept him in the pits during Q1 because they assumed his time would be good enough for Q2, despite having made the selfsame mistake with Massa in Malaysia, and then in the race he had a hydraulics problem.

Raikkonen told the BBC that he had also decided he wasn't going to make another run, so it was fifty-fifty between him and the team.

In Britain, he scored another point, even if he couldn't match Massa.

I've emphasised the key point here. The fact that Raikkonen couldn't match Massa for most of last year, and has also not consistently beaten him this year either is a big issue. Raikkonen is meant to be better than Massa, and while I have no doubt that Felipe has raised his game over the past couple of seasons, Raikkonen should still be able to beat him regularly in my view, because he is meant to be world class. The fact that he isn't beating Massa often enough really does raise questions about his motivation, fitness and overall skill level, all three of which I have long felt are not as sharp as they need to be.

what has Kimi done wrong?

I think the points above answer that question.

CarlosFerreira wrote:Captain, I think the problem here is we all expected Kimi to destroy Massa (who's always been perceived as a #2 driver, and was kept in Ferrari for that reason). We also expected Kimi to set all tracks alight no matter what. We expect him to be the best, and like Alonso or Hamilton, to overdrive the thing attempting to compensate the shortcomings with talent. He doesn't seem to do it, at least ever since he came to Ferrari. That's a disapointment.
[/quote]

I more or less agree with that, although I've never felt he is as good as Alonso or Hamilton over a race distance.

DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

You know whats sad?

Even though I look at the world of F1 through Blue-and-White glasses, I have to admit too that Kimi hasn't been the same since winning the title. Seeing his lack of pace and rookielike mistakes is just sad when you remember we ARE talking about a guy who has probably the most RAW pace in Formula one since the great Senna.

We are talking about a guy who debuted in Formula One after driving open-wheelers for less than two years, who had such an impressive debut season he was chosen to replace the man Schumacher admitted as his greatest Rival, Mika Häkkinen, a guy who drove so well on his first McLaren year that Häkkinen decided to stay retired, a guy who took a two-year old car (an eternity in present-day Formula one) and nearly beat Michael Schumacher with it, a guy who gave Alonso a run for his money in 2005, a guy who won his first GP for Ferrari and took the championship on his first year with Ferrari.

Looking at everything Kimi has accomplished, it's sad to see him in this state. After all, he could still have a good three/four or even Five years of F1 in him, he's only 30 years old and yet, he is already driving like an over-the-hiller.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I don't like Raikkonen. He is too lazy.
I don't like Alonso. He has a tanrtum every time something he doesn't like happens.
I AM a Ferrari fan...sort of. I was a fan of Berger since I was a toddler (though it was his car I found more interesting then lol) but after 1997 I started following McLaren (because of their drivers, not the team) more. But was rooting for Massa last year.
Anyway, yes Alonso is talented, but I'd rather Kubica replaced Raikkonen just because I like him more!
But yeah, I have said pretty much all season Alonso is replacing Raikkonen. On a side note, if anyone hadn't] heard about Alonso hoping to start a Pro Cycling Team in 2011, their sponsor was going to be...you guessed it, Santander.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I pretty much agree with DonTirri here; Kimi is an excellent driver, and of course I want to see him in F1 in the future (being a Finn also). But he has been half-asleep since he won the championship. These rumors should start to wake him up already, or else he'll go the Villeneuve way...

Many others, including myself, have stated previously that Alonso seems to want a team mate that's not competing with him (he probably thought that Hamilton was just another rookie back in '07, and just what happened). And neither of the current Ferrari drivers agree for that, meaning another story in the "Punch & Judy" section at the Hall of Shame if Alonso moves to Ferrari next year.

As some off-topic: any vodka jokes about Kimi are obsolete, he has stopped excessive drinking, and the only alcohol he's been drinking this year is a couple of beers with good friends or a glass of wine with food, but nothing else.

And, if The Sun is a reliable news source for you, how about this rumor: Santander has suddenly started a rather large advertising campaign in Finland this summer, offering cheap loans and suchlike. Before that the only way for a Finn to know about Santander would have been its F1 connections. Maybe if Ferrari ARE keeping Kimi for the next year, and Santander has started a premature advertising campaign to get a solid base of customers this year, then get more customers next year when people's interest on the bank has increased? I know, it sounds ridiculous, but it's just as reliable as the current "Alonso to Ferrari" rumors are to me. :|
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nin13

Kimi Raikkonen for 2010 Fiat WRC team?

Post by Nin13 »

An article in the Financial Times claims Fiat could enter the World Rally Championship in 2010:
quoteopen: Two car manufacturers, believed to be Fiat and Volkswagen, are on the verge of joining Citroën and Ford in the World Rally Championship (WRC), says its chief executive. quoteclose:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/5eeafc80-8ab0-1 ... ck_check=1

The Ferrari driver has dabbled in rallying this year, contesting the Finnish round of the World Rally Championship two weeks ago, where he impressed before crashing out.

He drove an Abarth Grande Punto in the event – a car built by Fiat and tuned by Abarth. Fiat also own Ferrari, which should make it easier to transfer his contract. Recent rumours have suggested the team is trying to buy Raikkonen out of his 2010 race deal for an eight-figure dollar sum.

Raikkonen has said he enjoys rallying and Ferrari have clearly been willing to allow him to indulge in it despite the obvious dangers – the team hardly needs two injured drivers. Putting Raikkonen in a WRC Fiat in 2010 may provide a neat exit strategy allowing Ferrari to bring in Fernando Alonso for 2010 alongside Felipe Massa.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/18/kimi-raikkonen-2010-fiat-wrc-team/
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Meh. It's just people playing connect the dots. I'll say it before and I'll say it again: rallying is not that dangerous if you know what you're doing. And the Finns know; their children are taught how to drive almost as soon as they ca see over the steering wheel. Get on YouTube and watch the video of Mika Hakkinen teaching James May how to rally; he enters in a race with twelve-year-olds, housewives and a pensioner ... and is pretty much beaten by the lot. It's not a case of Ferrari allowing Raikkonen to risk life and limb; he was probably rallying before he was driving go-karts.

I think people are getting too preoccupied by "Raikkonen drove a Fiat in a rally. Fiat want into the WRC. Alonso is gunnng for Raikkonen's Ferrari seat".
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This was sooo 3 months ago.
Fiat & VWs possible entry to WRC rumor has been flying around for months and months and months.
Plus Skoda rumour too will graduate to top class instead of current PWRC.
So yeah, I have been saying since about April Kimi will go to WRC next year.

Image Image
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

kostas22 wrote:This was sooo 3 months ago.
Fiat & VWs possible entry to WRC rumor has been flying around for months and months and months.

I don't recall Skoda running in PWRC except for the private Red Bull Rallye/Baumschlager run Fabia for Sandell/Axelsson. Skoda runs a factory team in IRC along with Abarth (FIAT).
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Hanninen ran a works Skoda at Rally Finland. Except it wasnt a championship round of the Production WRC.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

RejectSteve wrote:
kostas22 wrote:This was sooo 3 months ago.

I don't recall Skoda running in PWRC except for the private Red Bull Rallye/Baumschlager run Fabia for Sandell/Axelsson. Skoda runs a factory team in IRC along with Abarth (FIAT).

Skoda has a new Fabia S2000. It's been around for a couple of months now, and everything seems to point out to a world-beater.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Also, don't think of Skoda and VW as separate entities. VAG may well end up with a works entry in WRC (or equivalent), but it would only be with one of the two brands, most likely Skoda.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Didn't Skoda run a works team in the WRC a few seasons ago?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yes they did. Firstly with the Octavia in 2000 I think(which was crap) and then the previous generation Fabia in 2003 (also crap).
They seem to have got it right this time though. The new Fabia is beating everything in its class now. Even the more powerful Group N spec cars in the WRC.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:Yes they did. Firstly with the Octavia in 2000 I think(which was crap) and then the previous generation Fabia in 2003 (also crap).
They seem to have got it right this time though. The new Fabia is beating everything in its class now. Even the more powerful Group N spec cars in the WRC.

They come from a way back. Remember in the early 1990's when we had the Super-2000 Championship running parallel with the WRC (under the same banner, rotating rallies)? Skoda had a Favorit 1600 (!) that was World Champion twice, I believe.

The other serious Championship contender was SEAT, another VW Group brand. And yes, they both moved into WRC, were crap, and dropped out. So I suppose they learned the lesson and won't repeat the mistake. Right now, VW Group's more serious involvement in competition is something like:

VW - Dakar/Baja/World All-terrain Championship (Diesel powered)
Audi - Le Mans (Diesel powered), DTM
SEAT - WTCC (Diesel powered, petrol powered independents)
Skoda - S2000 Championship
Lamborghini - Resistance (upcoming GT2 Chmapionship)
Porsche :twisted: - Resistance (GT3)

One interesting issue is the upcoming engine regulation changes: both the WTCC and the WRC will be running spec engines in a couple of year's time, 1.6 turbocharged four pots. I wonder if it would be possible to develop a good basic engine that then would be specifically tuned according to the needs of the WTCC Leon or the WRC Fabia? :geek:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!