2010 Sporting & Technical Regulations Released

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

2010 Sporting & Technical Regulations Released

Post by Nin13 »

FIA have released 2010 porting & Technical Regulations yesterday (19/08/2009), can be found on their website.....
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulati ... nship.aspx

2010 F1 Sporting Regulations - published on 19.08.2009
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 0CLEAN.pdf

2010 F1 Technical Regulations - published on 19.08.2009
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 0CLEAN.pdf

Return to proper qualifying and real Grand Prix Racing-
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/19/f ... ix-racing/
Surely the best news in the 2010 F1 rules is the confirmed return of low-fuel qualifying and a ban on in-race refuelling:

The needless and uninteresting complication of fuel strategy and and tedious race-fuel qualifying are being swept away. This is a return to proper Grand Prix racing.

F1 2010-style will be about who can manage the changing performance of their car over a 200-mile distance. The cars will start the race heavy with fuel, and be much quicker at the race’s end. It will also make races last longer.

We should see different drivers performing better at different stages of the race, instead of all the cars being optimised to work within a narrow performance window, giving little variation.

And, of course, the skill of the driver will mean much more to boot.

I’ve heard some people object to the banning of refuelling, saying ‘it brings another dimension’ the races. I’ve never felt refuelling brought anything other than a tedious diversion from where the action really takes place: on the track.

A clever strategy means little. But an exciting battle for position, a rapid lap, a bloody-minded defence of the lead for lap after lap – these are what make for great motor racing. I can’t wait for 2010.

KERS to Stay-
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/19/f ... s-to-stay/
F1 cars will continue to use KERS in 2010.

Despite widespread expectations that Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems would be dropped after just one year, the new F1 regulations published today includes provision for the devices.

The F1 teams’ association had agreed not to use KERS next year – but I’m glad it’s staying.

There has been no change to the amount of power a KERS may produce in 2010. Cars are still limited to a maximum output of 400kJ per lap, approximately 80bhp for 6.6 seconds.

However one other rule change may have a bearing on how many teams choose to use KERS: the minimum weight has been increased from 605kg to 620kg. That’s half the weight of a typical KERS, and it should require teams to make fewer compromises to their designs in order to accommodate the technology.

Although KERS is unpopular with some, there are arguments for keeping KERS in F1 and, as I wrote last month, I find some of them convincing.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
lostpin

Re: 2010 Sporting & Technical Regulations Released

Post by lostpin »

Rule changes every year.. a proof that F1 has never been more dull and crappy..?
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

These changes have been coming for a while now. I believe they would have been implemented sooner, but with the overhaul of the technical regulations, the sporting regulations remained relatively the same to keep some continuity and consistency from year to year.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Nin13

F1 Teams To Abandon KERS In 2010

Post by Nin13 »

All bar one of F1’s 13 teams have agreed not to use KERS in 2010.

This comes after the 2010 F1 rules published by the FIA yesterday indicated they may continue to use the energy recovery technology next year.

Representatives of all 13 teams – the FOTA eight plus the previously suspended Force India and Williams, and the three newcomers Manor, Campos Meta 1 and USF1 – attended a FOTA Technical Working Group meeting in Valencia yesterday. (See here for a list of representatives)

All bar one of the teams are believed to have committed to not running KERS in 2010. The decision will now go to the F1 Commission to be considered.

It is not known which of the teams opposed the decision. Earlier this year Ferrari’s Stefano Domenicali criticised BMW for standing in the way of an agreement that could have prevented KERS being introduced. Although they are set to quit F1 at the end of the year, BMW is understood to have submitted an application for next season in the hope of selling their team, and they are still listed on the FOTA website.

From: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/20/f ... kers-2010/

Great decision, get rid of this nuisance!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I'm pleased to see the back of refuelling. I've never felt that it adds much to the show, and I hope it makes for more interesting racing as a result of tyre management by the drivers (i.e. who can look after them well, and who cannot), and it should also make car set-up more of challenge, since it will inevitably require different settings for different fuel loads, and the teams cannot change much during a race, so how drivers set their cars up should vary, which could also make the races more interesting.

As for KERS. Why was it not banned? I fail to see any reason why such an expensive white elephant should remain. If the FIA is so keen on cutting costs, its presence makes no sense. I would rather have non-standardised engines and gearboxes than KERS any day, as more unreliability is needed, but if those are not allowed for reasons of cost, why allow KERS to be an option? Crazy in my view.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Irisado wrote:
As for KERS. Why was it not banned? I fail to see any reason why such an expensive white elephant should remain. If the FIA is so keen on cutting costs, its presence makes no sense. I would rather have non-standardised engines and gearboxes than KERS any day, as more unreliability is needed, but if those are not allowed for reasons of cost, why allow KERS to be an option? Crazy in my view.

KERS is now becoming a plus, not just a deadweight. McLaren say it helped them win in the Hungaroring, and that their car is now slower without the stuff.

I suppose the team that blocked the decision was Williams. They've been talking about maintaining the development of the flywheel system. McLaren probably wants to keep it as well, but wouldn't vote against the FOTA consensus now. In 2010, McLaren will have a year's experience with with KERS, and Mercedes is keen on having the best system around and receiving some return on investment, both by selling it to clients, and by surfing the Marketing wave.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Captain Hammer wrote:These changes have been coming for a while now. I believe they would have been implemented sooner...

"Crafty" wording. I was hoping you might have written " I would have hoped to have implemented these sooner...," to give reason to my still thinking you may in-fact be Max.

Hammer, you are most well informed...(and funny at times as well, re: Richards calling Villeneuve, playing his CD in the motorhome and all) :mrgreen:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

You know, that's not the first time I've been accused of either being Max himself or so deeply enmeshed in the FIA that I have Max's ear. They do it over at the Autosport forums as well.

All I ever do is assume innocence until proven guilty (as opposed to assuming guilt until proven dead) and play the Devil's Advocate a little.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

...touche

and best wishes.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Ian Phillips was reporting during 2nd practice that during KERS discussion during technical working group meeting, there were 3 teams that wanted KERS. 2 of them were new teams and 3rd was Williams.
Surprised that Williams are opposing every decision taken by other teams. May be its because they spent millions on fly wheel KERS system. But really surprised by Williams. What is Sir Frank Williams up to?
Even Mclaren who have good KERS do not want it next year!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think Williams is just throwing a tantrum because the cool kids wont let them into their gang.
Or in real terms, they are pissed off at FOTA for not letting them back in.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I doubt that, its probably because Williams are selling kers-like systems based on the flywheel kers to train, bus and road car companies so they become more environmentally friendly, and Williams want F1 to advertise kers on the track, and gain more exposure for it.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:I doubt that, its probably because Williams are selling kers-like systems based on the flywheel kers to train, bus and road car companies so they become more environmentally friendly, and Williams want F1 to advertise kers on the track, and gain more exposure for it.

They are? Sorry to push the point, but can you provide any link or news piece for that? Thanks!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I read that in F1 Racing a couple of months ago, that this flywheel system of storing energy and using it as engine power is being sold to other companies, and Williams formed a company for this purpose. I don't have a link though, sorry.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:I read that in F1 Racing a couple of months ago, that this flywheel system of storing energy and using it as engine power is being sold to other companies, and Williams formed a company for this purpose. I don't have a link though, sorry.

No worries, I found a couple of reasonable references on the Interweb. Thanks for bringing it out, though.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!