Things you miss about F1...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
BabyG

Things you miss about F1...

Post by BabyG »

Many things have changed in F1 over the years. Rules have come and gone, technologies have been developed only to become obsolete, but there are a few intrinsic elements that have disapeared almost unnoticed. Here, we can celebrate those things and ask ourselves "what do we miss about F1"?

Nominate an element of F1 that is no longer part of daily F1 life, post a picture and give a brief description. As always, satire is welcomed.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Laurel wreaths

What ever happened to laurel wreaths as part of the podium ceremony? The laurel wreath has been a traditional symbol of victory since ancient greece and I'd love to see drivers given an over-sized horse shoe of greenery as they step out of their cars, especially after clinching the world title.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Things you miss about F1...

Post by DanielPT »

It was obviously dangerous and today's cars probably made it impossible, but I miss those old days where you took a ride on top of someone else car when you stopped at the track side without fuel or with car problems (today you need at least a lap, I think, for FIA scrutiny). It was fun to watch. They waved and greeted people and these days you show the finger, a fist or start opening and closing your hand and almost race to the pits. Meh...

EDIT: That is Nelson Piquet giving a ride to Keke Rosberg
Last edited by DanielPT on 19 May 2011, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Being able to do this after winning a race:

Damon Hill, Silverstone, 1994
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Murray Walker. Enough said.
Forza Forti
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

The sparks that came out of back of the cars during the 1980's, and early 1990's. Sure, you still see it sometimes in Singapore, but it's nowhere near where it used to be. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od1UX0JKV4
Last edited by DOSBoot on 20 May 2011, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Prequalifying and qualifying. It didn't matter if you were a World Championship contender, fail to shine and you might even be sitting the race out whilst one of our reject teams on a stellar run can get themselves onto the grid in your place
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Fire from the exhausts. It was more prominent during the turbo era, but you could see this as late as late 90s. The image is of Mark Blundell with Tyrrell in 1994 (from minrdi's blog).
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Aside from Murray Walker, as previously mentioned, I missed the sound of V12's engines particularly the 1995 Ferrari.

I take it missing Reject teams & drivers (i.e. the likes of Claudio Langes & Andrea Moda... trying & failing to qualify for a GP) is a given.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

What i miss in the formula 1:
40 F1 teams in 1 season at monaco
Pre-Pre qualifying
Pre-qualifying
practice engines
Qualifying Engines
1200HP
V10's and V12's
Paul Stoddart
Crazy races with great crazy fights on the track
Stupid accidents (See Inoue)

But what i mis the most. F1 DRIVERS THAT GOT CHARISM AND DON'T MIND TO OPEN THEIR MOUTH TO ECCLESTONED ETC (Like Irvine, Villeneue Verstappen etc)
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Engines grenading themselves spectacularly....
it may sound odd but in spring i miss the san marino gp often you would see the grassy bits with a lot of daisies.... a sure sign of summer coming
and i miss the yas of the 30 min highlights of F3 and touring cars shown when there was no GP......
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:...and i miss the yas of the 30 min highlights of F3 and touring cars shown when there was no GP......

I don't know what a 'yas' is, but you know there is now 6 - 7 hours of coverage of the BTCC live each weekend it's on, on ITV4?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

f1-gast wrote:What i miss in the formula 1:
40 F1 teams in 1 season at monaco
Pre-Pre qualifying
Pre-qualifying
practice engines
Qualifying Engines
1200HP
V10's and V12's
Paul Stoddart
Crazy races with great crazy fights on the track
Stupid accidents (See Inoue)

But what i mis the most. F1 DRIVERS THAT GOT CHARISM AND DON'T MIND TO OPEN THEIR MOUTH TO ECCLESTONED ETC (Like Irvine, Villeneue Verstappen etc)

I think you meant 40 cars instead of 40 teams (now THAT would have been the real deal :lol: ). And I don't know what pre-prequalifying is.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

80 cars, that's a lot of DNQs in one race.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DOSBoot wrote:80 cars, that's a lot of DNQs in one race.

And DNPQs :lol:
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Corner names.There used to be something about the evocative names of a corner,be they commemorating a famous driver or some feature of the local countryside or just some bizarre name. The sweeps of Eau Rouge or Blanchimont,the Mistral straight or the Parabolica conjure up majestic visions. Turn 8 just doesn't have the same ring about it-particularly when every track has one.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote:Corner names.There used to be something about the evocative names of a corner,be they commemorating a famous driver or some feature of the local countryside or just some bizarre name. The sweeps of Eau Rouge or Blanchimont,the Mistral straight or the Parabolica conjure up majestic visions. Turn 8 just doesn't have the same ring about it-particularly when every track has one.

We could always name Istambul's turn 12 Vettel, or Shangahi's last corner Hamilton :lol:
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Loads to miss of F1. M best eras of F1 were the 50's-92. Why? More freedom to engineer your F1 car and the teams could try different things out. Also the engines. 2.4L V8's? BORING!!! and thye were no cheap to develop. V8 V10 V12s the old 1200BHP turbo cars, thats f1.

But what I miss alot is James Hunt. He is what F1 should be like. A man with class and a personality.
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

6 WHEELS!!!!!!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

6 WHEELS!!!!!!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

I miss the era of different engine concepts. Either the choice between turbo or naturally aspirated engine in the 80's, or the choice between V8s, V10s, V12s or W12s in the era of 3,5l engines.
MIA SAN MIA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

WeirdKerr wrote:Engines grenading themselves spectacularly...

I would say I also miss engines grenading themselves spectacularly (whatever Sir Jackie might have to say on the matter after the 1997 season), but it's more than that - it's unreliablity in general, which creates unpredictability. Only the other day I saw Richard Hammond driving a 2005 Renault on Top Gear (or, at least, he was trying to drive it, and making Jean-Denis Délétraz look legendary in the process. "What is Hammond doing?") - and described the car as fragile, highly strung, built to such impossible tolerances that everything needs to be warmed up before it would start - anything could go wrong at any minute. And yet, by 2005, unreliability had already dropped to a level where the points had to go down to 8th place, otherwise Ferrari, McLaren and Renault would hog them all and there might be one or two points for one or two other teams over the course of the season. Cars blowing up left, right and centre were no longer seen. And now, with points down to 10th, accuse that of being Mickey Mouse all you like but it has to be done to ensure that more than four or five teams get on the scoresheet this year.

We're never going to see the likes of the 1991 San Mariono Grand Prix ever again; JJ Lehto on the podium for Scuderia Italia, and both the Lotus cars in fifth and sixth - Mika Häkkinen before he was famous, and bona fide reject Julian Bailey. Imagine, if you will, a race in 2010 where either Heikki Kovalainen or Jarno Trulli takes one of the Lotus seats, Fairuz Fauzy gets the other, and the hopelessly-off-the-pace T127s (which were as far behind the leaders as the 102B was in 1991), and the two drivers end up fifth and sixth. It couldn't happen! The best that car could manage was a fluky 12th, which was only allowed to happen by five cars not making it to the end of the first lap.

Never mind Pirelli's fragile tyres, fragile cars would jazz things up a bit the way it always used to be.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

F1 is all about development, and these days ou can't develop the engines or the chassies that much now. Remember BRM engine? V16 Love the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE and he V12 Ferrari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rNiswUhQ4&feature=related

Miss those sounds so much
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

The previous two dont really need explaining, however this next one might:

The Surge from the Startline, to Tosa, at the start of a San Marino GP. Nothing looked more glorious than a fleet of F1 cars at high speed before they spread their wares during the race. I know that due to 2 severe accidents, about 19 consecutive rule changes relating to the events that happened in 1994 to the present day will preclude this from ever happening anywhere ever again.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The surge from the new startline at Silverstone should be pretty good though - fairly long run to the right handed sweeper and then the blast down to the hairpin. Obviously won't be the same, but should be still pretty good!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

ADx_Wales wrote:The Surge from the Startline, to Tosa, at the start of a San Marino GP. Nothing looked more glorious than a fleet of F1 cars at high speed before they spread their wares during the race. I know that due to 2 severe accidents, about 19 consecutive rule changes relating to the events that happened in 1994 to the present day will preclude this from ever happening anywhere ever again.

In my opinion it could happen again if Imola was renewed with a little bit of brain. That is, eliminating Villeneuve chicane (because is not longer needed, as there´s a huge runoff) and turning Tamburello into one corner again, but one slow corner in the style of A1-Ring first corner, thus creating a high speed approach to Tossa, which has never been specially dangerous by itself.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

How about when you could bring in an innovation to the car and NOT have to worry about it being immediately banned???
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

A huge selection of engines.
Minardi, Jordan and Arrows.
Jos Verstappen.
HWNSNBM.
Rainy races that weren't stopped just after a few drops like nowadays, vide 1996 Monaco GP and Panis' win.
Ah, while we're at it - Olivier Panis. So bad his injury in Canada '97 made quite a mess in his later career.
Simplicity. Will they ever gonna stop making Formula One more dependent on the car, and focus more on drivers' skills?
Equality. In the 1990s - although teams had various amounts of money and different development - the rivalry seemed to be more equal than now. Yeah, champions also could dominate the whole season, but they weren't like indestructible tanks that don't retire and keep going. Just check how many retirements JV had in 1997 and how many of them Vettel had in 2010.
Fantastic reject moments, like Minardi scoring a point, or having an intense battle with a front-runner/midfielder.

Those were the days :D
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jos Verstappen, he's 39, younger than Schumi and PDLR. Give Massa the boot, Jos the Boss in.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

SSSSUUUPPPAHH AGURI!
Takuma Sato at his peak.
Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher
My local 2002 coverage. Clearly the best ever (not very good, though...)

redbulljack14 wrote:Jos Verstappen, he's 39, younger than Schumi and PDLR. Give Massa the boot, Jos the Boss in.

Well, Nigel Mansell is only several years older, he's only what, 57? :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

cretoxyrhina wrote:SSSSUUUPPPAHH AGURI!
Takuma Sato at his peak.
Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher
My local 2002 coverage. Clearly the best ever (not very good, though...)

redbulljack14 wrote:Jos Verstappen, he's 39, younger than Schumi and PDLR. Give Massa the boot, Jos the Boss in.

Well, Nigel Mansell is only several years older, he's only what, 57? :lol:

It's also worth noting that even Nigel Mansell has hinted that Schumacher should retire - which is surely the point when you realise something is going badly wrong...

JeremyMcClean wrote:How about when you could bring in an innovation to the car and NOT have to worry about it being immediately banned???

We've had that for a long time though. Think about the designs that have been banned - the Tyrrell run, Matra designed MS80 that used structural fuel tanks (i.e. akin to aviation fuel tanks), which was allowed for 1969 only (the rules changed to rubber fuel tanks in 1970), the banning of six wheel cars after the Williams FW08B showed up in testing, X-wings, as used on the Tyrrell 025 - the list goes on and on.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:How about when you could bring in an innovation to the car and NOT have to worry about it being immediately banned???

We've had that for a long time though. Think about the designs that have been banned - the Tyrrell run, Matra designed MS80 that used structural fuel tanks (i.e. akin to aviation fuel tanks), which was allowed for 1969 only (the rules changed to rubber fuel tanks in 1970), the banning of six wheel cars after the Williams FW08B showed up in testing, X-wings, as used on the Tyrrell 025 - the list goes on and on.

I suppose that barring wings themselves and stuff like automatic gearboxes, almost everything that's been invented in F1 has been banned. Every so often the rules are just reset so people start again with tighter restrictions. It's just in this era with more restrictions than ever (which is inevitable over time) the innovations are for all sorts of complicated things like double diffusers, blown floors, the f-duct, etc.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I miss the days when drivers got out of the car, got drunk, then got involved in a good 'old fashion punch up...oh wait we still have that :lol:

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:I miss the days when drivers got out of the car, got drunk, then got involved in a good 'old fashion punch up...oh wait we still have that :lol:

Didn't the Schumacher brothers and Olivier Panis trash a hotel room or something like that at the 2003 Japanese GP? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I think I can sum this up with a few pictures...
This is a cool spot.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wizzie wrote:
ibsey wrote:I miss the days when drivers got out of the car, got drunk, then got involved in a good 'old fashion punch up...oh wait we still have that :lol:

Didn't the Schumacher brothers and Olivier Panis trash a hotel room or something like that at the 2003 Japanese GP? :lol:

I certainly remember seeing a photo of the Schumi brothers being very drunk on an esposide of Top Gear once (Ralf was in his Toyota gear). If thats what you mean.

Also there is video footage of M Schumi making a right prat out of himself whislt drunk on a Karaoke machine after the 1996 Japanese GP, which was convientiently shown on a Damon Hill documentary (the name of which escapes me now).

Then you have Nick Heidfeld miserable attempt at dancing & Vettel's singing over the radio yesterday. What is it with German F1 drivers?

Are they rehearsing to go on Pop Idol or something.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'll definitely go for unreliability/races of attrition. I did enjoy seeing races with a single-figure number of finishers (which started with a full field, not USA 2005). :)

I remember there were three in a row in 1996 (Monaco, Spain, Canada - even though only Canada was dry), and even as recently as Australia 2008 there were only a few finishers, much of which was off-season rustiness.

Now there seems to be 20 or more finishers in nearly every race!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Grid sizes larger than 26 cars.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

It's also worth noting that even Nigel Mansell has hinted that Schumacher should retire - which is surely the point when you realise something is going badly wrong...

Has Mansell ever announced his retirement... lol appart from the time at the british gp in 1990.....
karsten

Post by karsten »

i miss in random order:

minardi
alboreto
engine exploding
loose regulamentation that allowed technical exploits
big grid
10 and 12 cylinders engines
the times the cars had manual gear
the time cars were HEAVY
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
The Mountain Man

Post by The Mountain Man »

If there's one thing I miss are the drivers.
Today I have the suspect drivers spend as much time preparing what to say and do in front of cameras and microphones as they spend training. Given the fact even a single misinterpreted phrase is enough to land you into troubles with FOTA, FIA, the sponsors etc I really cannot blame them.
I miss drivers who were more than a name and a face: Senna, Prost, Patrese, Arnoux, Alboreto... I even miss Piquet's antics and Mansell's inflated ego.
They made the show all the more enjoyable.