Your Reject of the Race - Montreal!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Montreal!

Post by Captain Hammer »

Hey everybody,

After an extended break for reasons that I won't go into here, I'm back! And since it's race day and this thread hasn't been created yet (seriously, I go away and everything goes pear-shaped), you know what that means - it's time to pick Your Reject of the Race for Canada.

So far, I have to say the clear Reject is the 107% rule. One year after Ferrari demanded that it be reintroduced (when Chandhok inadvertently held Alonso up and Butotn was able to pass him because of it), and the stewards let Jerome d'Ambrosio onto the grid because he was forced to get used to the team's spare chassis, having written his own off in Friday practice. However, d'Ambrosio's Q1 time was his fastest time of the weekend. So that means the 107% rule is like the microphone at a Britney Spears concert - it just doesn't matter.

Your turn.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ed24

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Montreal!

Post by Ed24 »

It has to be Sauber for me so far, everything's going wrong for them. Ill driver, crashes, poor speed etc.

Although Alguersuari is hot on their heels after that dismal qualifying performance.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
mario

Post by mario »

Ed24 wrote:It has to be Sauber for me so far, everything's going wrong for them. Ill driver, crashes, poor speed etc.

Although Alguersuari is hot on their heels after that dismal qualifying performance.

True, Alguersuari was driving very erratically - how many times did we see him ploughing through a corner with the wheels locked up? He was driving far too hard in qualifying - but, as Brundle hinted at, it looks like Alguersuari is being threatened with replacement by Ricciardo, and perhaps trying too hard to save his seat (which may ironically cost him his seat).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

For me Alguersuari is fast heading to ROTY contention. He did a fantastic job last season and he should have scored more than the 5 or so points he eventually ended up with and alot of people predicted big things from him this season but in recent races he's seemed to have forgotten how to drive quickly and keep out of trouble at the same time.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The race stewards take it for now, but Sauber and Alguersuari certainly are in contention.

I'm tempted to nominate the official website, formula1.com, for predicting rain in Saturday and Sunday, again. It could very well be that today's race sees no rain at all.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

mario wrote:
Ed24 wrote:It has to be Sauber for me so far, everything's going wrong for them. Ill driver, crashes, poor speed etc.

True, Alguersuari was driving very erratically - how many times did we see him ploughing through a corner with the wheels locked up? He was driving far too hard in qualifying - but, as Brundle hinted at, it looks like Alguersuari is being threatened with replacement by Ricciardo, and perhaps trying too hard to save his seat (which may ironically cost him his seat).

Agree with both of you.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

BEFORE the race, the 107% rule.
What is the point of this if someone who finishes outside the 7% can still start the race? Okay, sometimes exceptions happen (not counting the weather like Spa 2001!), like Diniz in Melbourne 1997, but this just renders the rule pointless.

AFTER the race, we'll see.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Wizzie wrote:For me Alguersuari is fast heading to ROTY contention. He did a fantastic job last season and he should have scored more than the 5 or so points he eventually ended up with and alot of people predicted big things from him this season but in recent races he's seemed to have forgotten how to drive quickly and keep out of trouble at the same time.

With Maldonado showing some form, the RotY field is definitely wide open!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The stewards, got to be, how they can excuse D'ambrosio racing when failing to qualify but not HRT at Australia is total nonsense. Algersuari is my pick for actual drivers, he's almost been as erratic as Yuji Ide
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Ferrim wrote:The race stewards take it for now, but Sauber and Alguersuari certainly are in contention.

I'm tempted to nominate the official website, formula1.com, for predicting rain in Saturday and Sunday, again. It could very well be that today's race sees no rain at all.

Well at least one of the support races has been wet today, & Heidfeld has just tweeted that it is raining.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

sswishbone wrote:how they can excuse D'ambrosio racing when failing to qualify but not HRT at Australia is total nonsense.

The 107% rule is intended more for blocking unworthy teams from the grid than drivers. D'Ambrosio had qualified for every race this season, and he was using the spare chassis rather than his own.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Don't care, if you don't hit 107% you don't qualify, the rules state stewards can provide discretion based on practice in the event of a problem, as he never did it in practice he shouldn't race
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

The stewards can give a big F in that rule, for whatever reason they like. That must not be practice results. And with Glock saying Virgin is on a full-wet setup. That can very well have been the reason. I think the stewards made a great decision there!
badoerfan

Post by badoerfan »

Agreed on D'Ambrosio, he shouldn't have been allowed to race - for all he had the disadvantage of the brand new chassis, it's not like he'd gone faster in the old one in practice either.

And the rule is there to stop slow cars being on the track during the race - and it's not like he's going to be back in the faster chassis for the race either, so that defeats the point of the rule. The 'extenuating circumstance' clause is really there for people who are quick enough, and are likely to be quick enough during the race, but have had problems that prevented them setting a quick enough time in the qualifying session - like Hispania in Monaco, Diniz back in Australia '97 or Spa when it rained. 'Not being used to the car' isn't an extenuating circumstance.
Bob

Post by Bob »

How about the Safety Car - a start at Montreal with the safety car is pointless, it's like straightening out Eau Rouge, it negates the best part of the race :cry:
James1978

Post by James1978 »

First time for someone to get the award 2 races in a row me thinks. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

So far it's Hamilton for me.

The guy doesn't learn anything. Needs to be disqualified for several races. And taking out your teammate? For shame.

Yes Senna did the same thing. That doesn't make it right.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Race isnt over but hamilton are a strong candidate
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

Hamilton, no matter what else happens in the race. Taking out yourself while trying to take out your teammate makes for double reject status...he couldn't even do that right.
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Safety Car, enough said...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Safety car start or Hamilton so far.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Hahahahamilton.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Safety cars or Hamilton again.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Personally, I'd say that Button is also in the running for getting himself penalised for speeding whilst catching up with the safety car train. As for the Button-Hamilton accident, I think that perhaps I'd like to review the video footage again to assess the respective positions of Hamilton and Button on the track.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Ham so far. And the weather. But mainly Ham.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

The truck that delivers Hamilton's car :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

preventive safety cars
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

the marshal pushing the water up hill......
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

The drains, they are backing up and water isn't clearing

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

De La Rosa was told only 15 minutes left until the rain stops. We could be racing within the hour if that is true.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Klon wrote:De La Rosa was told only 15 minutes left until the rain stops. We could be racing within the hour if that is true.

Nevermind that. But I have time, I will wait.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

New nomination.

Eddie Jordan, for being within arms reach of George Lucas and not punching him.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Race control for not getting the race restarted NOW!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Enforcer wrote:New nomination.

Eddie Jordan, for being within arms reach of George Lucas and not punching him.

:lol:
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

New nomination - Tonio Liuzzi's new boots.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

New nomination Fivelive for giving updates on the baseball!

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Stewards for being too trigger-happy with their investigations.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Well I was going to nominate Button, but then he won, so I'm going back to Lewis Hamilton.
Archie2K

Post by Archie2K »

Easy. Race Control. First for starting the race behind the safetyh car and keeping it out for four laps when one would have been more than enough. Then there's no point telling the drivers to start on full wets then running them behind the safety car for so many laps that the track is ready for inters by the time the race actually gets under way. Plus the punishment for Di Resta made no sense since Di Resta had already been punished by losing his wing and Heidfeld did not lose any places.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1) Lewis - You ****ing idiot. Again. I wonder who's fault it is this week? Rihanna, for distracting him with her hair?
2) Di Resta - Ruined a race that had been great up to that point by a really half-hearted attempt to pass Nick. Not sure why he retired - did he hit someone else?