Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

Post by Captain Hammer »

Go!
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

Post by Peter »

I nominate the double DRS zone with only 1 detection zone. Good job, Charlie.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm just going to nominate the circuit, because the race is bound to be rubbish (I jolly well hope so, I'm out today so I won't be watching).

Peter wrote:I nominate the double DRS zone with only 1 detection zone. Good job, Charlie.

This.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Malinth

Post by Malinth »

So far? The circuit I guess, because I don't recall any rejectworthy moments from anyone. That could soon change however...
The Legend That Is Greg Moore
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Peter wrote:I nominate the double DRS zone with only 1 detection zone. Good job, Charlie.

There's a reason why there's only one detection point - the software doesn't like it. The detection point, notification point, and activation point are all controlled by beacons around the circuit. Two DRS zones require two sets of beacons. However, the problem is that when there are two activation beacons, they start interfering with one another and the system melts down. When the FIA learned this, the idea became to have one activation point and two zones, but once the driver behind made his pass, his DRS would switch off and he couldn't use it in the second zone. This is similarly flawed, because the cars are travelling at speed and the system can't recognise that the cars have changed places fast enough to send a signal to shut down the lead driver's DRS.

So I nominate you as Reject of the Race. First of all, this information is freely available online, and if you'd bothered to look it up, you'd see the shortcomings of the system. Secondly, you clearly haven't been paying attention at all this year - most of the passes we have seen have invovled one driver taking a position and then losing it the next lap. However, as we saw in Canada, two DRS zones and one activation point allowed Jenson Button to climb up through the field. He passes the car in front in the first zone, then uses his second squeeze of the trigger to close the distance to the next driver in the queue. This is a massive benefit of the DRS, and shows that the one activation point for two zones actaully produces some good racing.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Post by Peter »

Captain Hammer wrote:

There's a reason why there's only one detection point - the software doesn't like it. The detection point, notification point, and activation point are all controlled by beacons around the circuit. Two DRS zones require two sets of beacons. However, the problem is that when there are two activation beacons, they start interfering with one another and the system melts down. When the FIA learned this, the idea became to have one activation point and two zones, but once the driver behind made his pass, his DRS would switch off and he couldn't use it in the second zone. This is similarly flawed, because the cars are travelling at speed and the system can't recognise that the cars have changed places fast enough to send a signal to shut down the lead driver's DRS.

So I nominate you as Reject of the Race. First of all, this information is freely available online, and if you'd bothered to look it up, you'd see the shortcomings of the system. Secondly, you clearly haven't been paying attention at all this year - most of the passes we have seen have invovled one driver taking a position and then losing it the next lap. However, as we saw in Canada, two DRS zones and one activation point allowed Jenson Button to climb up through the field. He passes the car in front in the first zone, then uses his second squeeze of the trigger to close the distance to the next driver in the queue. This is a massive benefit of the DRS, and shows that the one activation point for two zones actaully produces some good racing.

Thanks for nominating me as RoTR. Anyway, the problem with the 1 activation point is that is really makes the racing somewhat unfair. Interesting yes, fair, not so much. It basically makes the driver unable to try and take back his position. Why not, for the fairness of the drivers, and of the sport, develop a software that's more advanced than what they use now? Surely that wouldn't be to hard to develop.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Peter wrote:Why not, for the fairness of the drivers, and of the sport, develop a software that's more advanced than what they use now?

Because the software is already at its pinnacle. Like I said, the problem is that they can't get software fast enough to register the difference beteen two cars at 300km/h and send the appropriate command through the system.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:So I nominate you as Reject of the Race.

Welcome back!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I nominate the circuit, this is boring.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Another vote for the circuit, thank you very much.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

+1 for the circuit

If drivers need to be nominated:
- Sauber drivers
- Petrov

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
S951

Post by S951 »

the track borefest awful
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I nominate b****ing about this race - seriously, guys.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

The Valencia circuit.

Liuzzi for being a bad back-marker.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

i nominate reliabilty......
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

The circuit. That was utterly boring - I instead turned to GP2 and watching race in GP2.

(FYI - I mean Grand Prix 2)
Last edited by FMecha on 26 Jun 2011, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Klon wrote:I nominate b****ing about this race - seriously, guys.

Ah stop being the devil's advocate - you can't deny that race was dull compared to the preceding ones this season; even if it's futile we're perfectly entitled to moan.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

As the thread title states:

Your Reject of the Race = Valencia!

EDIT: I'm not one to usually bag out races for being boring, or to complain about circuits, but no one did anything particularly rejectful so the choice has to be made from a shortlist of, well, one item.
Last edited by J Washburn Stoker on 26 Jun 2011, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

valencia and schumacher.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

The circuit itself I'd rather watch cars racing around it the parking lot than this.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Given the circuit got RotR in 2008, I can't see how it could be awarded again!

I'll nominate Schumacher for losing his front wing exiting the pits, that was just stupid really.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

The track by default.

None of the drivers did anything particularly bad.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

The circuit

If we can't have that, Hispania were very poor when being lapped today.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Petrov for being dreadfully slow and struggling to overtake the Saubers.
Honorary Mention goes to Klon for being (so far) the only user to defend this race.
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

Honorary Mention goes to Alonso for being (so far) the only driver to defend this race.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

shinji wrote:Ah stop being the devil's advocate - you can't deny that race was dull compared to the preceding ones this season; even if it's futile we're perfectly entitled to moan.

No, you're not. First off, your perception is tainted by the Canadian race. After that, everything would be boring. You could have played any previous race through and it would still bore you. Secondly, this is setting a bad precedent. Do you think the early 2011 standard will remain? At the latest by the middle of 2012, the effect of the new rules will have been neutralised. And do I want to hear you moaning through the entire second half of 2012? No, I don't.
Last edited by Klon on 26 Jun 2011, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Schumacher
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

1. The circuit, since there wasn't anything interesting except for below

2. Petrov, for kindly knocking off Schumacher's front wing
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Klon wrote:
shinji wrote:Ah stop being the devil's advocate - you can't deny that race was dull compared to the preceding ones this season; even if it's futile we're perfectly entitled to moan.

No, you're not. First off, your perception is tainted by the Canadian race. After that, everything would be boring. You could have played any previous race through and it would still bore you. Secondly, this is setting a bad precedent. Do you think the early 2011 standard will remain? At the latest by the middle of 2012, the effect of the new rules will have been neutralised. And do I want to hear you moaning through the entire second half of 2012? No, I don't.

It was dull by comparison of the other 2011 races, not just the last race. Valencia is know to produce boring races in any year and under any rules, and this was one of them.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I would like to agree with Klon. Race was not interesting, but it was not also USA 2005. All 24 racers finished (Karthikeyan first ever to be 24th?), so there was a lack of accidents. All in all, that was _normal_ race, not _bad_ race.

My rejects:
1. Petrov
2. Karthikeyan (well, HRT at all)
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
McJaggers

Post by McJaggers »

Klon wrote:
At the latest by the middle of 2012, the effect of the new rules will have been neutralised.

We haven't even seen the 2012 regulations, or the DRS zones, or witnessed any potential changes to the tyre construction.

These types of cynicism in f1 is unwarranted. DRS was made out to be the devil, by everyone. Perhaps its not quite the darling, but without it, every race would be valencia, or catalunya.

Anyway;
1 Valencia
2 The lack of a grid walk. What was up with that?
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Even the drivers and commentary team are saying it was a dull race!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

"Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!"

Exactly.
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

McJaggers wrote:2 The lack of a grid walk. What was up with that?

EJ & Jake did a sort of grid walk. Brundle said at the beginning of the year that he would not be doing a grid walk at every race as it was not practically possible at all venues.

I'm tempted to nominate the track but it doesn't bother me if we have the odd processional race.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I forgot to mention Felipe's pit crew. He should have been 4th.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
mario

Post by mario »

TomPryce wrote:The track by default.

None of the drivers did anything particularly bad.

I have to agree - Schumacher's incident with Petrov was a little silly, although his race was already going down the drain as Mercedes simply cannot get on top of their tyre wear problems this year. I guess that might do as a nomination, but to be honest people have not received a RotR award despite doing worse than that, so I'm not really sure what to say.

I'd have to agree with the consensus that the track was the worst culprit here today, since it is completely anodyne - even some of Tilke's more unpopular tracks have at least some distinguishing feature, such as a notable corner or some other unique challenge. This, though, has no memorable features apart from a lot of concrete barriers and garishly painted walls - give it a week and I bet that most of you won't be able to remember the layout, since it is completely forgettable.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
JQW

Post by JQW »

Whoever was driving the Force India that got overtaken by Schumacher during his dash back to the pits to fix his broken front wing.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Massa's strategy and pitstops: 6 out of Massa's last 10 races have been badly affected by bad pitstops or poor strategy (Brazil, Abu Dhabi, Melbourne, Sepang, Turkey and Valencia - and China and Canada had some questionable strategies as well)
Schumacher: Over-optimistic move coming out of the pits
Maldonado: Went off at Turn 2, and also last of big teams
Petrov: Poor race and a long way back on his team-mate
Kobayashi: See Petrov, but also embarrassingly beaten by Perez despite Sergio losing so much time at the end of his first stint

EDIT: Another nominee:
European GP organisers: Not getting Placido Domingo to sing the national anthems on the podium :lol:
/EDIT

Winner:
Fan Expectations: This race would be among the best of most previous years, but yet has been slated by many 'fans'.
Last edited by Ed24 on 26 Jun 2011, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Dishonourable mention for the TV director showing too many extended on board shots with nothing happening while DC & MB talked about events elsewhere on the circuit.
I used the driver tracker on-line whilst watching the TV coverage & found it was useful in maintaining the "concept" of the race.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Valencia Street Circuit