GP Masters Historic - some possible rejects!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
patrick

GP Masters Historic - some possible rejects!

Post by patrick »

Well a few weekends back I went to the Masters Historic Festival at Donington Park, which, apart from some fabulous touring cars and ear-destroying sportscars held a round of the GP Masters series.
The cars were great to watch as you can imagine and the racing... well not so much as most of the race was taken up by a safety car period (sound familiar?)
But it was still a great mix of cars and they were all really going for it. Anyway I took some snaps but haven't had the chance to fully identify the lot of them or look at their results so if anyone wants to name and shame (because I'm sure some of them are beautifully rejectful) then I can add the proper tags and descriptions to my flickr. Also plenty of pics of the touring/ sportscars on there if anyone's interested!
P1040952 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040955 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040772 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040773 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040774 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040776 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040777 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040778 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040779 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040782 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040789 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040792 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040797 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040799 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040800 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040840 by pwrc, on Flickr

there are also some rubbish clips here
please enjoy!
AdrianSutil

Re: GP Masters Historic - some possible rejects!

Post by AdrianSutil »

Brilliant pics! I can name a few of those cars. The mainly yellow one, is that a Copersucar?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't know the car's types, and i don't know the current drivers but anyway i'll give you the years and original drivers.
1 Surtees from 1973,Carlos Pace
2 Surtees from 1975, John Watson (possibly Dave Morgan)
3 Brabham from 1975, Carlos Reutemann of Carlos Pace
4 Modified Amon from 1974, a reject car
5 Arrows from 1980, Jochen Mass/Mike Thackwell/Manfred Winkelhock or Riccardo Patrese
6 Fittipaldi from 1978, Emerson Fittipaldi
7 March from 1982, although it might be a 1981 car painted in 1982 livery. Jochen Mass, Raul Boesel, Rupert Keegan or maybe Derek Daly or Elisio Salazar
8 Tyrrell from 1979 or 1980, i don't remember the differences
9 Lotus from 1979 Carlos Reutemann of Mario Andretti
10 Penske from 1975, but in 1976 version, John Watson (and later driven by Boy Hayje)
11 March from 1971, loads of drivers
12 Lotus from 1974, Peterson or Ickx
13 Arrows, probably 1982, Mauro Baldi or Marc Surer/Brian Henton
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I thought the GP Masters went defunct in 2006. But still, it's good to see those classic cars being used for what they were built for. In case you don't know, I'm refering to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP_Masters
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

GAH! I completely forgot to post pics from when I went to see the exact same thing last year at Spa...

Here are the first ones, fromthe 50s and 60s. I forgot to take photos of these cars on the track. Luckily, I got them in the garage...
This is a 1960 Lotus 18.
Here we have a 1966 Cooper T66.
Now, a Lola Mk4.
The wonderful Cooper T53, with me next to said Cooper.
The almost exactly similar T51.
Another Cooper T53.
Here's the Gordini 16.
The ERA D-Type, the first British F1 car.

That's all for today. There are 89 photos in total, I've just posted 11. More to follow.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

One of those is a Lotus 76, methinks - look at the rear wing! :lol:
patrick

Post by patrick »

thanks for the info chaps, glad you like the pics. the yellow #16 is, consulting the programme (which would be cheating), a fittipaldi f5a.
And yes DOSboot, the GP masters series is no more, this is technically the "Masters Historic" series although the programme refers to it as "GP Masters" so it is a bit confusing.
Thanks for the pics tommykl, I'd love to go to one of the Spa classics but my dad would rather go to the grand prix so we're lining that up instead. maybe in a few years i'll roadtrip to it just to see some gt40's going up eau rouge :twisted:

Phoenix wrote:One of those is a Lotus 76, methinks - look at the rear wing! :lol:

looks like the kind of thing you can get from ikea! The #30 red march front wing is a hoot too
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Great photos patrick! Thank you for posting these!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Great photos tommykl! Can we have more?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Great pics, both of you!

The Rothmans March looks like the 1981 model in 1982 livery to me as the nose doesn't curve downwards enough.

I'm guessing that the No.29 Warsteiner livery Arrows must be an ex-Patrese car : isn't the driver wearing a Patrese livery helmet?!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

i'll see if i got some useful pics from last year (it won't be much, and practically no racing pics)
and here are they, and they're from reject quality!

we'll take a rest where the Eau Rouge streams through the paddock
i got a little lost at the track :D
now some racing:
And heres's the forgotten Anciene Douane hairpin that was used before the Raidillion was constructed.
i'm afwul at taking pictures, but here's the amon!
and here's an afwul pic of the great Burnenville corner (i did not take the time to stop driving my car, as it was turning dark)
Last edited by Nessafox on 16 Sep 2011, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Barbazza wrote:Great pics, both of you!

The Rothmans March looks like the 1981 model in 1982 livery to me as the nose doesn't curve downwards enough.

I'm guessing that the No.29 Warsteiner livery Arrows must be an ex-Patrese car : isn't the driver wearing a Patrese livery helmet?!

I think some of them have had livery changes indeed. You're right though, it is the 811 (1981), which has a glorious record of DNQ/PQs

bunch of display cars that went around, these will probably be very easy
P1040670 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040671 by pwrc, on Flickr
P1040673 by pwrc, on Flickr
Damon Hill's championship car and Senna's Toleman were also scheduled but conked out I think which was a shame
also this, which i was very fond of. might be a bit tougher for you all to ID but then again...
P1040874 by pwrc, on Flickr

thank you all for the comments, there is a great buzz from photographing racing cars!! anyone feel free to add their own (related) pics, it's nice seeing them in modern day digital quality, especially in action
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Gosh my pics attribute absolutely nothing actually :D(that's what you get with a rubbish camera that wasn't even working properly) But it was great fun to drive at the old spa, anyway.
patrick

Post by patrick »

This wrote:and here's an afwul pic of the great Burnenville corner (i did not take the time to stop driving my car, as it was turning dark)

The old track looks like hilarious fun, I'm guessing it's all still public roads? I'd love to drive around it sometime at an ungodly hour in a manner that some may find immature (but of course completely safely ;) )

thanks for the pics! I do sit back and consider the sheer wonder these men enjoy as they take these fantastic cars around the globe and drive them in anger - and without the stress of being a formula one driver. a charmed life surely
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

patrick wrote:
This wrote:and here's an afwul pic of the great Burnenville corner (i did not take the time to stop driving my car, as it was turning dark)

The old track looks like hilarious fun, I'm guessing it's all still public roads? I'd love to drive around it sometime at an ungodly hour in a manner that some may find immature (but of course completely safely ;) )

thanks for the pics! I do sit back and consider the sheer wonder these men enjoy as they take these fantastic cars around the globe and drive them in anger - and without the stress of being a formula one driver. a charmed life surely

Well, driving the old track is exactly like watching the old movie 'Grand Prix' (but in safer, slower cars, and there's a roundabout somewhere that wasn't there back then) when i drove there, it started raining heavy, just like in the movie...
You can drive completely from the current Les combes to Stavelot corners, but there's of course some other traffic.

actually, now i'm wondering, wouldn't the 6h historic endurance race be a cheaper option than the beetle25h-project? Just like, buy us a couple of mini coopers and getting in the way of fabulous GT40's :D
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

This wrote:i'll see if i got some useful pics from last year (it won't be much, and practically no racing pics)

A Ferrari 156?! I thought Ferrari scrapped all of those? Replica probably?

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DOSBoot wrote:
This wrote:i'll see if i got some useful pics from last year (it won't be much, and practically no racing pics)

A Ferrari 156?! I thought Ferrari scrapped all of those? Replica probably?

I know it was a year ago, but I do remember the announcer saying that it was indeed a replica.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

patrick wrote:also this, which i was very fond of. might be a bit tougher for you all to ID but then again...
P1040874 by pwrc, on Flickr

thank you all for the comments, there is a great buzz from photographing racing cars!! anyone feel free to add their own (related) pics, it's nice seeing them in modern day digital quality, especially in action

That must be a Formula Ford - a Van Diemen? Presuming someone famous used to drive that, Senna maybe?

I've got a few pics of cars from the Coventry motor museum knocking about somewhere which I'll have to dig out, and I have pics from my visit to the Donington Park Museum from around 10 years ago, but I'd have to scan those first!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Barbazza wrote:

At the very least, the car was driven by Patrese going by the number. Was it Patrese driving the car that day, by chance?

The other bunch of cars are, just for fun:
-Benetton B190 - Ford Cosworth (1990).
-Lotus 101 - Judd (1989).
-Benetton B192 - Ford Cosworth (1992).
-Van Diemen Formula Ford 1600, don't know which model or the year. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't driven by Ayrton Senna.

BTW, someone knows something about Ferrari scraping all 156? I can't find any explanation for that and I'm curious about this issue.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Phoenix wrote: BTW, someone knows something about Ferrari scraping all 156? I can't find any explanation for that and I'm curious about this issue.

It was a policy for Ferrari at that time. I don't why, but for some reason or another when the 156 became obsolite in 1963, they were scrapped. Although there is one at the "Galleria Ferrari" in Maranello. Probably a replica. At least that's what is says on the wikipedia page. A real shame in my opinion, because it was probably the best looking Ferrari F1 car ever made, it was their first mid-engined car, the first American to win a drivers championship won in it using that car, and it helped Ferrari win their first constructors as well. So the car had quite a bit of history there, yet a real won does not exist anymore. If there are, I'd sure love to know.

Here's the car's wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_156

mario

Post by mario »

patrick wrote:thanks for the info chaps, glad you like the pics. the yellow #16 is, consulting the programme (which would be cheating), a fittipaldi f5a.
And yes DOSboot, the GP masters series is no more, this is technically the "Masters Historic" series although the programme refers to it as "GP Masters" so it is a bit confusing.
Thanks for the pics tommykl, I'd love to go to one of the Spa classics but my dad would rather go to the grand prix so we're lining that up instead. maybe in a few years i'll roadtrip to it just to see some gt40's going up eau rouge :twisted:

Phoenix wrote:One of those is a Lotus 76, methinks - look at the rear wing! :lol:

looks like the kind of thing you can get from ikea! The #30 red march front wing is a hoot too

That rear wing design on the Lotus 76 was probably one of the less surreal features of that car, as Chapman was experimenting fairly aggressively in a bid to find a satisfactory replacement to the Lotus 72 (which was pretty antiquated by that point).

As for the March front wing, I can kind of see what March were aiming at with that design - I believe that elliptical aerofoil section tend to have a slightly better drag to lift ratio, so presumably March were hoping that it would offer them the same downforce as their rivals but with a lower drag penalty.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
patrick

Post by patrick »

Barbazza wrote:That must be a Formula Ford - a Van Diemen? Presuming someone famous used to drive that, Senna maybe?

I've got a few pics of cars from the Coventry motor museum knocking about somewhere which I'll have to dig out, and I have pics from my visit to the Donington Park Museum from around 10 years ago, but I'd have to scan those first!

It is a formula ford, not a VD though...
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

I recognise that Lotus..... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114&start=1110

Very nice photos :) Getting to see classic F1 cars where I come from is impossible :( Wish I had a proper museum or circuit to see this stuff too :cry: