Worst F1 Liveries

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DemocalypseNow

Worst F1 Liveries

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The latest copy of F1 Racing just dropped in my letterbox today, and there's an article about the ugliest paintjobs to ever grace a Formula One car. For those who don't have F1R, here's a sample of what they think, adapted & abridged by yours truly. Personally I think at least half of is absolute nonsense and not deserving to be on the list.

The undisputables
SHADOW DN9
When Jan Lammers moved to Shadow in 1979, he brought with him local sponsorship in the form of Samson Tobacco. The emblem of the tobacco company was the lion - which was 'artistically' portrayed on the front of the car; note the 'clever' placement of the car no. in the mouth of the lion and paws clinging on to the front wing. It was rather more tame than they had hoped for however - Lammers failed to score a point all year.

BRABHAM BT60B
The car which ruined the saying 'pretty in pink' also ruined lead driver Eric van der Poele's F1 career, a brief stint at Fondmetal did little to enhance is reputation. Damon Hill couldn't muster much from the ill-handling eye-sore either, and Giovanna Amati's money obviously didn't stretch far enough pay for some new paint either. It was an ugly, ugly end for one of the past masters of the sport.

HONDA RA107
A pointless and ridiculous bit of PR spin to avoid telling the whole world they couldn't attract any sponsors for being so hopeless on track, 'Earthdreams' was dreamt up by the people who brought you HRT's 2011 livery. What XIX Entertainment hadn't thought of however was the operating temprature of an F1 engine - the fancy paintwork melted off the engine cover, so the final third of the car was jet black. Once Ross Brawn took charge he had the sense to bin the stupid concept and focus on something important which Honda hadn't been doing - winning.

FOOTWORK FA16
This was a true slap-dash livery, with sponsors randomly plastered all over the car and a scattered diamond livery reminiscent of many much loathed 90s football shirts. Hype coming along with their brash pink logos just made the whole stramash even worse, with the result looking like you'd drank far too many litres of the aforementioned energy drink.

HESKETH 308D
Lord Hesketh was certainly a 'unique' character in F1, much like this questionable livery. And before you ask, the French Maid was there before Penthouse became a sponsor mid-season.

BAR 001
Credit where it's due, Craig Pollock's new team was rather creative with the team livery at the official launch - with one car decked out in a Luckies livery and the other resplendant in the legendary 555 colours. Had the FIA not told them they weren't allowed a different livery for each car a-la-NASCAR the 001 would never have been here; if anything the 555 car would probably have made a 'best of' list at some point. Alas, they did, and BAR's solution was a quick fix half 'n' half. Fine for alcohol, not so great for tobacco...

The disputables
LOLA T93/30
Admittedly this is hardly a favourite of mine - I'd go so far as to day it's barely average. But that's the thing, it's just mediocre. It's not woefully bad like the BAR 001, just a bit run of the mill. As we all well know the car was an absolute disaster, but it gains kudos for providing Luca Badoer his F1 debut. Chesterfield - an sub-par fag brand for a sub-par team.

WILLIAMS FW20/FW21
Image Image
The issue here is it specifies both the '98 and '99 cars. I would agree the latter was a bit rubbish thanks to splashing bits of while on the front and blue on the rear, but the former actually looked rather smart in its all-over red Winfield livery. Many people will complain that it was an unwelcomed departure from the traditional blue and white of Williams past, but all iconic liveries must come to and end someday - I could imagine there have being some outcry at McLaren dropping Marlboro white and red for West silver and black.

LIGIER JS39
Some people may not like the departure from the traditional Gitanes livery to this more arty look, but to me, it's a step up from what was becoming an old and tired look. At the time it may have been lambasted, but nowadays it has a retro look that I would consider putting in the 'best of' list instead of worst.

BENETTON B186
I am failing to understand why this is even here. BMW were the powerplants behind the B186 that year, and clearly the 'art-car' culture of the Bavarian firm came with it. It's certainly colourful - but not in a bad way like the Footwork was. The tyres are funky - they remind me of the D1GP HKS Nissan Silvia which had alternating coloured rims. I can only wish the Pirellis of today had colour coding like back in '86...

The omitted
MINARDI M197
One of the few cases where Mild Seven sponsorship was a complete disaster. Black, White, Yellow, Blue all striped together. Does it make sense to anyone else? Because it looks rather pathetic to me...as were the results, no points scored despite Trulli and Katayama's best efforts, and Marques'...well, you get the point.

LARROUSSE LH94
It's an F1 car, not a jester. Wise up Gerard.

TOKEN RJ02
This car could have been saved had Motul not pulled the plug on their sponsorship of the team before the season began - with very little financial backing they only started 4 races in the entire season, notably giving Tom Pryce his F1 debut, followed by a DNQ by David Purley at Brands Hatch and handing debut drives to another Brit - Ian Ashley, driving to 14th at the Nordeschlife. A token effort by Token, reflected in their rather bland, uninspiring and ghastly livery.

RENAULT R29
The final traces of Mild Seven were finally gone forever - and ING had finished spreading over the car like a disease slowly infecting every inch of the body. The yellow & orange stripes were particularly hideous, but in fairness, the rest of the car deserves just as little credit as the shark-fin paintjob. Only Alonso's brilliance could drag this pile of garbage into the points, with Piquet being hopeless and then banned to make way for the unprepared and hapless Grosjean. Being passed by Badoer is not a good way to announce your arrival to Formula One...
Last edited by DemocalypseNow on 19 Sep 2011, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Worst F1 Liveries

Post by Klon »

kostas22 wrote:HONDA RA107

I know I shouldn't, but I really love that livery in retrospect. And the Minardi one looks good as well. Also...
kostas22 wrote:Being passed by Badoer is not a good way to announce your arrival to Formula One...

... screw you, F1 Racing.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Klon wrote:
kostas22 wrote:HONDA RA107

I know I shouldn't, but I really love that livery in retrospect. And the Minardi one looks good as well.

And the FW21.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

i guess you just copied the text of the magazines, well tell that magazine that van de poele never drove a footwork :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Klon wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Being passed by Badoer is not a good way to announce your arrival to Formula One...

... screw you, F1 Racing.

That wasn't F1 Racing. That was me :?
Everything from Minardi M197 to Renault R29 are my personal choices for replacements in that list for the ones I suggested should be taken out (Benetton B186, Williams FW20, etc).

Image Image
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This wrote:i guess you just copied the text of the magazines, well tell that magazine that van de poele never drove a footwork :D

No that was me too, like I said I modified it instead of direct copy/paste (I only have a paper version) and I wrote Footwork when I meant Fondmetal! D'oh.

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

kostas22 wrote:
This wrote:i guess you just copied the text of the magazines, well tell that magazine that van de poele never drove a footwork :D

No that was me too, like I said I modified it instead of direct copy/paste (I only have a paper version) and I wrote Footwork when I meant Fondmetal! D'oh.

i'd loved to see him in a footwork though :D
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hmmm, interesting. My issue doesn't have this feature, so I guess the Spanish and English versions aren't the same. Mine was full of Michael Schumacher's 20 years in F1, including a chat with Bertrand Gachot.

My opinions:
-Brabham began 1992 with their conventional paint job, so in the end it seems Amati's money did stretch enough to pay for a new paint job, unfortunately...
-Honda began the "Earth Dreams" campaign voluntarily, not because they had troubles attarcting sponsors.
-How can a livery of a voluptuous woman lightly clothed be ugly? Surely this isn't allowed nowadays...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:Hmmm, interesting. My issue doesn't have this feature, so I guess the Spanish and English versions aren't the same. Mine was full of Michael Schumacher's 20 years in F1, including a chat with Bertrand Gachot.

That was the previous issue! I've read that front to back. I've just had the latest issue with Prost & Webber on the cover delivered today.

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

In all honesty...

It looks like something that you throw up after lunch.

All the other atrocities have been mentioned (including the awful Williams FW21)

The red side of the BAR 001 looks great though!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I still haven't got the September edition. I never have time to actually get the damn thing!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I didn't mind the original Honda Earth livery, but the follow up livery in 2008 was dreadful! Made the shitebox look even slower than it actually was.

I often wonder if the chief livery designer got pissed out of his mind one night, woke up and threw up, and the colours of his sick he decided to use to replace the blue parts of the livery.

The Stewart team showed us that an all-white livery could look interesting and splendid. Sadly the same could not be said for the Tyrrell team in it's death throws at the latter end of the 90s. The virtually sponsorless, dull white was a sad finale for the last 'proper' Tyrrell season (Let's be honest, 1998 was Tyrrell in name-only. Quite like Jordan in 2005.)

:twisted: A slightly less boring version of Toyota's livery for the first half of 2006.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I know it's not F1, its an Indycar, but I think this blows everything in this thread out of the water as far as horrendous liveries goes...

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

The Winfield Williams livery gets stick because it was immediately after the Rothmans livery, one of the best in the mid 90s.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

If we can add IndyCars, then why don't I suggest this?

Now THAT looks something that someone threw up! Camo does not work on a car (as Honda has clearly proven)

If the orange were red this livery would be awesome. But someone mixed up the paint job...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This thread reminds me of a former thread. And while on the subject of IndyCars, of a particular example from that thread.

midgrid wrote:Image

Poor Alex Lloyd... :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

And to go really far astray, BMW touring cars...

Now class, this is an example of a basic but pleasant livery. A BMW classic almost, driven by the legendary Smokin' Jo Winkelhock

But this..
GAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!! THEY BURN LIKE LISTERINE WAS POURED ON TO THEM!!!!!

And the moral of the story is...let the works teams dicate the livery instead of drug traffickers.

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Earthdreams' was dreamt up by the people who brought you HRT's 2011 livery. What XIX Entertainment hadn't thought of however was the operating temprature of an F1 engine - the fancy paintwork melted off the engine cover, so the final third of the car was jet black. Once Ross Brawn took charge he had the sense to bin the stupid concept and focus on something important which Honda hadn't been doing - winning.

Wrong!

HRT's livery was designed by Daniel Simon, a Spanish concept car designer who works in Hollywood art design. He has nothing to do with XIX Entertainment, who do not design liveries - they're in talent management, and one of their guys is Lewis Hamilton's manager. And there were no recorded incidents of the livery melting off the RA107 engine cover. They livery was made with the same decals that all the teams use, and nobody has ever experienced any incident of decals melting off. Likewise, Ross Brawn did not discontinue the livery; he joined Honda in 2008, when they continued using the 'Earth Dreams' concept. The livery was changed in 2009 because 'Earth Dreams' was funded by Honda, and Honda had already backed out.

I can't imagine that F1 Racing would have made such fundamental errors about this as they appear to have. About the only things they got right in the summary is the spelling of each word.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Earthdreams' was dreamt up by the people who brought you HRT's 2011 livery. What XIX Entertainment hadn't thought of however was the operating temprature of an F1 engine - the fancy paintwork melted off the engine cover, so the final third of the car was jet black. Once Ross Brawn took charge he had the sense to bin the stupid concept and focus on something important which Honda hadn't been doing - winning.

Wrong!

HRT's livery was designed by Daniel Simon, a Spanish concept car designer who works in Hollywood art design. He has nothing to do with XIX Entertainment, who do not design liveries - they're in talent management, and one of their guys is Lewis Hamilton's manager. And there were no recorded incidents of the livery melting off the RA107 engine cover. They livery was made with the same decals that all the teams use, and nobody has ever experienced any incident of decals melting off. Likewise, Ross Brawn did not discontinue the livery; he joined Honda in 2008, when they continued using the 'Earth Dreams' concept. The livery was changed in 2009 because 'Earth Dreams' was funded by Honda, and Honda had already backed out.

I can't imagine that F1 Racing would have made such fundamental errors about this as they appear to have. About the only things they got right in the summary is the spelling of each word.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I actually liked Wheldon's Indy-winning paintjob, and if the orange was red it would be considerably less interesting... and I have to admit to liking the Alex Lloyd pink car...

I also don't like the Panther Racing livery since they used the camo. I don't particularly care for Panther Racing either, so...

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
jpm

Post by jpm »

How about the 1997 Lola?

http://f1colours.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/lola.png

Or the 1993 jordan?

http://www.atlasf1.com/timeline/1993.jpg
leywso

Post by leywso »

kostas22 wrote:WILLIAMS FW20/FW21
ImageThe issue here is it specifies both the '98 and '99 cars. I would agree the latter was a bit rubbish thanks to splashing bits of while on the front and blue on the rear, but the former actually looked rather smart in its all-over red Winfield livery. Many people will complain that it was an unwelcomed departure from the traditional blue and white of Williams past, but all iconic liveries must come to and end someday - I could imagine there have being some outcry at McLaren dropping Marlboro white and red for West silver and black.

I remember Martin Brundle commenting that the Williams paint job "looks like someone just pointed a scatter gun with the sponsors' names at the car and fired". It's trouble was that it looked so similar to the sleek Marlboro design of the Ferrari, just worse.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

jpm wrote:How about the 1997 Lola?

But that livery is iconic in my opinion! :o
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Wrong!

A simple mixup between Daniel Simon and Simon Fuller, no need to be so critical and boringly specific!

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:

Rejectfully iconic, might I add!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Rejectfully iconic, might I add!

Exactly, and not ironically iconic either!
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:A simple mixup between Daniel Simon and Simon Fuller, no need to be so critical and boringly specific!

Except that Daniel Simon didn't design the 'myearthdream' livery, either. Simon has only recently emerged on the graphic design stage.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:
kostas22 wrote:A simple mixup between Daniel Simon and Simon Fuller, no need to be so critical and boringly specific!

Except that Daniel Simon didn't design the 'myearthdream' livery, either. Simon has only recently emerged on the graphic design stage.

I never said that he did. Simon Fuller is CEO of XIX Entertainment...

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

I never said that he did. Simon Fuller is CEO of XIX Entertainment...

Yes, you did:
kostas22 wrote:'Earthdreams' was dreamt up by the people who brought you HRT's 2011 livery. What XIX Entertainment hadn't thought of however was the operating temprature of an F1 engine - the fancy paintwork melted off the engine cover, so the final third of the car was jet black. Once Ross Brawn took charge he had the sense to bin the stupid concept and focus on something important which Honda hadn't been doing - winning.

Neither Daniel Simon nor Simon Fuller designed the 'myearthdreams' livery. Even if one of them did, your entire paragraph about the RA107 is loaded with errors. Like I said, the only things you managed to get right in that paragraph is the spelling of each word. Daniel Simon and/or Simon Fuller did not design the livery. There were no recorded instances of the decals melting off the car, and this was not the reason for the final third of the car being black. And Ross Brawn did not end the concept - Honda did when they sold the team.

You call yourself a journalist, but you've made so many fundamental errors that you might as well have said "Barack Obama is a Caucasian woman who was born in Portugal and went on to become the 83rd Queen of Bhutan in 1919". Nothing about that sentence is right, just as nothing in your paragraph about the RA107 livery is right.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh dear, Kostas vs Hammer round (insert random number here)! :lol:

Back on topic, the liveries that Jordan used between 1992 and 1995 were a complete mess, covered in logos and dull colours.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:Oh dear, Kostas vs Hammer round (insert random number here)! :lol:

Not really, I'm not going to waste my time stooping to his level. He's obsessed and I'm not, he can rant in the corner if he wishes but I'm not being dragged into his pursuit for perfection. I can imagine his idea of fun being spending hours on end re-arranging filing cabinets.

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:he can rant in the corner if he wishes but I'm not being dragged into his pursuit for perfection.

Oh, but it's in your interests to listen to what I'm saying. You call yourself a journalist, but your post was full of fundamental errors. How could a person whose job description involves researching all of their facts, get something so fundamentally wrong? If I see so many errors in one of your articles, how can you expect me - or anyone else now that your post has been demonstrated as fallacious - to take anything you publish seriously?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Hammer wrote:
kostas22 wrote:he can rant in the corner if he wishes but I'm not being dragged into his pursuit for perfection.

Oh, but it's in your interests to listen to what I'm saying. You call yourself a journalist, but your post was full of fundamental errors. How could a person whose job description involves researching all of their facts, get something so fundamentally wrong? If I see so many errors in one of your articles, how can you expect me - or anyone else now that your post has been demonstrated as fallacious - to take anything you publish seriously?

Exactly. For once Captain Hammer is truly right. Whether you're a journalist or not, you can't go to a forum and write a paragraph that's fundamentally wrong from part to part, let alone then criticise who tells you that you're wrong. I advise you to leave your pride aside, accept fault and for both to rest your case before it becomes a full flight flame war.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

If you would read other threads it might be clear it isn't my job. Why would I waste my spare time fact-checking a post in a forum? Why do neither of you have any common sense? It's a forum post not a Uni dissertation. Let it be...

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Why would I waste my spare time fact-checking a post in a forum?

Well, that just begs the question: if you consider fact-checking a forum post to be a waste of time, how can we be assured that you check your facts when writing articles?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Captain Hammer wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Why would I waste my spare time fact-checking a post in a forum?

Well, that just begs the question: if you consider fact-checking a forum post to be a waste of time, how can we be assured that you check your facts when writing articles?

you both have a point.
if he uses the name 'kostas22' in journalism, it would be of vital commercial importance to have a good image on this forum because we are all potential readers of his articles, if he deliberately chooses to not link his journalism to his forum account and vice versa, there is no problem. However he should not do something in between, as it is potentially confusing. Voila, end of discussion. (i hope)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Except I'm not a journalist. Thus making all your points redundant! Ta-da.

And there you have it. Hence my point 'you're taking this way too seriously'.

Captain, with all sincerity and no malice intended, you can overstep the mark slightly with the intensity. If you want to correct other peoples mistakes fair enough but you don't have to be an arse about it. Keep it light hearted and everyone is happy.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

;)

Another one that's not an F1 livery (NASCAR), but it's one I want to see in F1...

Just because it was hilariously hideous.

Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Cynon wrote:;)

Why is it that with all the tin-top/stock car racing series NASCAR somehow gets the ugliest car schemes?

For instance, THIS is the right way to do a Jim Bean stock car:

This ISN'T:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

V8 Supercars?
I never liked the K-Mart Racing Team livery at all.

ImageImage

Image Image