Teammates at more than one team?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
James1978

Teammates at more than one team?

Post by James1978 »

Something I've been trying to find out is how many pairs of drivers have been teammates together, but at more than one team?

The ones I have so far are:

Alesi and Berger at Ferrari and Benetton
Lauda and Watson at Brabham and McLaren
Salo and Diniz at Arrows and Sauber
Christian Fittipaldi and Gianni Morbidelli at Minardi and Arrows
Brundle and Blundell at Brabham and Ligier
Webber and Pizzonia at Jaguar and Williams (though only for part-seasons)

Anyone think of any more?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Londoner

Re: Teammates at more than one team?

Post by Londoner »

I suppose Barrichello and Button at Honda and at Brawn could be considered.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Some short-lived (at least in other team)

Trulli & Zonta (Jordan & Toyota) - a total of three races
Piquet & Patrese (Brabham & Williams) - Patrese replaced Mansell in Australian GP 1987
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Panis and Trulli - Prost 1997-1999 and Toyota 2004 Japanese Grand Prix.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Clay Regazzoni & Niki Lauda - BRM & Ferrari
Michele Alboreto & Stefan Johansson - Ferrari & Footwork
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Derek Warwick and Martin Donnelly. One off race in 1989 for Cheever, than both at Lotus for 1990
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Fangio and Moss at Mercedes in 1955 and at Maserati for the 1957 Argentine Grand Prix
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

David AGS wrote:Derek Warwick and Martin Donnelly. One off race in 1989 for Cheever, than both at Lotus for 1990

No they weren't, Donnelly was replacing Warwick for one-off so he had Cheever as his first F1 team-mate.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Thats right, trying to remember from the review. Apparently they asked Warwick who he wanted to be replaced byand he mentioned Donnelly. My bad
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

In CART:

Michael Andretti and Paul Tracy, both at Newman-Haas and Team Green.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Mario Andretti & Nigel Mansell - were teammates together at Lotus in 1980 & then teammates at Newman Hass in 1993 or 1994 (I can never remember?). Incidentially Mario, says Nigel was his worst ever teammate, as Nigel was such a 'prima madonna'...always seeking the team's full attention...then if things go badly, Nigel was the first one to slate the team behind their back. Not sure if I believe that?

Eddie Cheever & Derek Warwick - Team mates at Arrows in 1988 & also in sports cars that year I believe?

Fisichella & Massa - Teammates at Sauber in 2004, then (kinda) teammates at Ferrari in late 2009 (I think Fisichella might even have been Ferrari's test driver in 2010 also?). Although I accept this one is probably outside of what ever rules there are for this particular thread.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

James1978 wrote:Brundle and Blundell at Brabham and Ligier

Also didn't they race together for the same team in the Sebring 12 hour race, earlier this year? They also were colleagues in the ITV studio between 2001 - 2008 (IIRC). They seem to be joined at the hip.

cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson - At Carlin in British F3, B.A.R and SSSSSSSUUUUUPPPPPPPPAAAAHHHHHHHH AGGUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Marc Gene and Stephane Sarrazin - Brazil 1999 and Peugeot Sportscar

Bruno Senna and Karun Chandhok - iSport GP2 and Hispania
Last edited by cretoxyrhina on 02 Nov 2011, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

ibsey wrote:
James1978 wrote:Brundle and Blundell at Brabham and Ligier

Also didn't they race together for the same team in the Sebring 12 hour race, earlier this year? They also were colleagues in the ITV studio between 2001 - 2008 (IIRC). They seem to be joined at the hip.

i think it's their names.
i think they also might have some common family members from way back when. kinda like "callahan" and "callaghan"
just saying :lol:
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

ibsey wrote:Mario Andretti & Nigel Mansell - were teammates together at Lotus in 1980 & then teammates at Newman Hass in 1993 or 1994 (I can never remember?). Incidentially Mario, says Nigel was his worst ever teammate, as Nigel was such a 'prima madonna'...always seeking the team's full attention...then if things go badly, Nigel was the first one to slate the team behind their back. Not sure if I believe that?

It was both 1993 and 1994. Mario only started making those comments in 1994 IIRC. Mansell was having a dreadful season defending his crown (he ended up without a single win, a first (and only)for a defending CART IndyCar/CART/CCWS champ) and collided with Mario on more than one occasion, I recall Cleveland and Michigan. At the latter, Nige radioed in to tell the team to forward his apologies to Mario, to which Mario shortly thereafter told either Gary Gerould or Jack Arute that Nige was an idiot, or something along those lines.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
ibsey wrote:Mario Andretti & Nigel Mansell - were teammates together at Lotus in 1980 & then teammates at Newman Hass in 1993 or 1994 (I can never remember?). Incidentially Mario, says Nigel was his worst ever teammate, as Nigel was such a 'prima madonna'...always seeking the team's full attention...then if things go badly, Nigel was the first one to slate the team behind their back. Not sure if I believe that?

It was both 1993 and 1994. Mario only started making those comments in 1994 IIRC. Mansell was having a dreadful season defending his crown (he ended up without a single win, a first (and only)for a defending CART IndyCar/CART/CCWS champ) and collided with Mario on more than one occasion, I recall Cleveland and Michigan. At the latter, Nige radioed in to tell the team to forward his apologies to Mario, to which Mario shortly thereafter told either Gary Gerould or Jack Arute that Nige was an idiot, or something along those lines.

The latter incident was at New Hampshire, and it honestly was a mistake I'd expect from a rookie (or Lewis Hamilton), not the defending champion...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Thanks for the clarification Jeroen Re; Mario Andretti & Nigel Mansell. :)

Another questionable one to put here…but I’ll do it anyway. Prost & Alesi were teammates at Ferrari in 1991, then Alesi decides to drive for Prost in 2000 & 2001. Even though those Prost car’s looked to be the most evil handling F1 car in all of history. I did love watching the Prost’s with its dark blue colour scheme with Alesi’s chrome helmet sat in the middle hack sawing away at the steering wheel. Shame it didn’t work out with Prost really. :(

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

David AGS wrote:Derek Warwick and Martin Donnelly. One off race in 1989 for Cheever, than both at Lotus for 1990

It lasted only until Jerez 1990. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
1993DonningtonNo1

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1 »

Phil Hill & Giancarlo Baghetti at Ferrari (1961-62) and the Italian ATS (1963)
1993DonningtonNo1

Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde will be team-mates at Caterham this year just like they were at Barwa Addax in GP2 in 2011.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I think Bruno Senna & Chandok used to be teammates together somewhere like in GP2 before HRT in 2010. Also Nico Rosberg & Lewis Hamilton were ex go karting teammates prior to being reunited together at Mercedes this year.

1993DonningtonNo1

Rosset and Sospiri - Super Nova in 1995 F3000 and no prizes for guessing the name of the other team.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Aha! The topic title does not specify F1. So here's a less well known one;

Alain Menu & Michael Bartels;

1991 F3000 - CoBRa Motorsports
2002 DTM - Opel Performance Center
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1993DonningtonNo1 wrote:Rosset and Sospiri - Super Nova in 1995 F3000 and no prizes for guessing the name of the other team.

Hmmm, let's see. Super Vauxhall Nova and... Super Aguri? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1

dr-baker wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1 wrote:Rosset and Sospiri - Super Nova in 1995 F3000 and no prizes for guessing the name of the other team.

The infamous 1997 Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1993DonningtonNo1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

The infamous 1997 Lola!

I knew that... What I tried to imply was, wouldn't it have been great if both teams had been prefixed by 'Super'?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Another non-F1 related one but we had the combo of Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife at HRT from 1998-2000 in the V8s, before they paired up again for the enduros at Triple 8 for 2010 and 2011.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Rubens Barrichello and Tony Kannan: Indycar Series 2011 and some special events (kart, endurance, etc).
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

JJ Lehto and Stefan Johansson at Onyx (1989-1990, albeit only for 6 races) and Champion Racing in the 2003 ALMS Season.

Lehto was also team-mates with Emanuele Pirro at Dallara in 1991 and Champion Racing in ALMS in 2003 and 2005.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

My favourite motorsports one?

Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz being teammates at Subaru (1994-95) Ford (1999-2002) AND Citroen (2003) in WRC
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 23:31 My favourite motorsports one?

Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz being teammates at Subaru (1994-95) Ford (1999-2002) AND Citroen (2003) in WRC
Yvan Muller and James Thompson at Triple 8 in the British Touring Car Championship (2001-2004) and SEAT in the 2006 World Touring Car Championship.