The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Jocke1

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

23 jan - Repsol team practices:
http://youtu.be/B2-qCL_Xxc4

-*:-
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Senor Marcus Marcus is leading the way in MotoGP testing: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112432

Crutchlow is predictably some way off the pace on the woeful Ducati. It will be a crying shame if he gets beaten by Bradley Smith this year...

However, the one thing that we should all be celebrating is that Aleix Espargaro posted the 4th fastest time overall on an open class bike, which is frankly astonishing. I was worried about him leaving the Aspar team but he seems to have actually made a step forward (excuse the pun).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Pretty sure this isn't what Crutchlow signed up to: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112485
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:Pretty sure this isn't what Crutchlow signed up to: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112485

He should have known really. Nobody could be competitive enough in that Ducati since Casey Stoner days, so it wasn't really a surprise the lack of competitiveness displayed so far by that bike. Then you wonder, why waste millions on a useless prototype when apparently the open class can be competitive enough? If it keeps going like this in further testing, with the open class beating factory Ducatis on a regular basis, then there is is no real reason for them not to switch completely to open class.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Given the difference in fuel consumption and engine regulations, it sounds like a good idea for Ducati to switch to the open class. Looks like Ducati really needs to develop their bike.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Aerospeed wrote:Looks like Ducati really needs to scrap their bike.

fixed
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Jocke1 wrote:

fixed

Hahahaha :lol: Well done, Jocke
Trulli bad puns...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:

fixed

That's my opinion of what Ducati needs to do in a nutshell. Maybe get a few Euros and build something else much better.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The world champ has broken a leg in a dirtbike accident

Doctors say he should be fine for Qatar next month, but that something you don't need in the off-season...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Wizzie wrote:The world champ has broken a leg in a dirtbike accident

Doctors say he should be fine for Qatar next month, but that something you don't need in the off-season...

Lucky for him, there's no ligament damage so he doesn't need surgery. You can guarantee that if it was Pedrosa instead he'd be missing races.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Trulli bad puns...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Aerospeed wrote:It's official - Ducati is in the open class.

Makes a mockery of Honda's pathetic protests and threats to leave. MotoGP is set on a full-scale transition to the open class now they have manufacturer backing for it. Wouldn't surprise me if Suzuki go the same way when they come in either later this year or full time in 2015. Although Honda are a fairly integral part of MotoGP (in much the same way that Ferrari is to F1) they no longer have that bargaining chip and Dorna can tell them to walk away if they want because ultimately they know, and we all know, that we'd like to see a premier class of motorcycle racing that features fairer, more cost-effective ways of racing that attract multiple manufacturers. I guarantee that if the Open class hadn't been conceived, we'd have ended up with a field full of Hondas and that's it.

The spec ECU will go a long way to cutting down on the costly reliance on electronics, but it's only half the story. Dorna need to set out a multi-year plan of progressively reducing the level of electronic controls on the bikes and the perfect way to do that is through a standard-issue ECU which is what we now have.

What I'm most looking forward to seeing is the factory bikes being beaten by Open class bikes on a regular basis. If we do see that, I'll wager that Yamaha will be an Open class team by 2015 too. We may even get Aprillia or Kawasaki back involved as both have supplied engines and technology to the old CRT teams in the past.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

No surprise for me really. I thought it was the most logical thing they could do with their MotoGP efforts.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:

No surprise for me really. I thought it was the most logical thing they could do with their MotoGP efforts.

And equally unsurprisingly, barely a few days after Honda protested against the move Dorna has announced that they are creating a new class, to be dubbed "Factory 2", which is designed to check the advantages given to Open category teams and which Ducati has now been placed. The new class is due to be brought in on the 11th March, pending rubber stamping by FIM (Ezpeleta has stated that the measure will be signed off without any questions).
"From this Tuesday there'll be a third avenue: Factory 2, where Ducati will be in," he told AS.
"It has the same conditions as the Open bikes, but when they get three third places, two seconds or one first they will have 22.5 litres [of fuel] instead of 24, and nine engines instead of 12."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112791

That said, Ezpeleta has said that he is still committed to pushing the other factory teams into accepting the Open class regulations, and has indicated that he isn't taking Honda's threats of a walk out that seriously.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

That's a bit silly, is this Honda complaining about Ducati jumping to open? I don't understand the new factory class.

Shows how restricted the old Factory class is, really.
Trulli bad puns...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

GOOD NEWS! For UK Motogp fans, there are stories that ITV4 is going to be showing a highlights package on Monday evenings. I can't find official confirmation, or any TV guides that go to 24th so far, but here's a link to the story :

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/itv4-win-rights-to-screen-motogp-highlights/

Keeping an eye out for something more reliable ...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

madmark1974 wrote:GOOD NEWS! For UK Motogp fans, there are stories that ITV4 is going to be showing a highlights package on Monday evenings. I can't find official confirmation, or any TV guides that go to 24th so far, but here's a link to the story :

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/itv4-win-rights-to-screen-motogp-highlights/

I jolly well hope this is right. Otherwise the only way I'm going to get to see MotoGP is moving out and getting BT Sport.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

watka wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:GOOD NEWS! For UK Motogp fans, there are stories that ITV4 is going to be showing a highlights package on Monday evenings. I can't find official confirmation, or any TV guides that go to 24th so far, but here's a link to the story :

I jolly well hope this is right. Otherwise the only way I'm going to get to see MotoGP is moving out and getting BT Sport.

MCN are reporting it as official, though somewhat vaguely ... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/sport/sportresults/motogp/2014/march/mar1114-motogp-itv/

The TV’s press office wouldn’t be drawn on any further details, simply saying that “a deal has in principal been agreed to allow ITV Four to show MotoGP highlights, subject to contract."

EDIT : Now listed on the Radio Times' website : http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/j46b5/motogp-highlights
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Aleix Espargaro fastest in FP1, FP2 & FP3.
Will he take pole today? But in any case, will his tyres last the distance?

And :o
Dovi went 348.3 Km/h during FP2.
I don't think anyone has gone that fast even at Mugello the last decade,
and I thought the Mugello straight normally provided the highest top speeds
on the calendar.

Losail Circuit Longest straight: 1.068 m / 0.664 miles
Mugello Circuit Longest straight: 1.141 m / 0.709 miles

I keep hoping for Colin to win a race one of these days. He is up to 186 races now
in MotoGP with no win. I have watched all of those 186 races, and probably
the last one hundred and twenty or so races, I have hoped he would take that elusive
first win. The last few years haven't really been close for Colin, but perhaps with all
the crazy changes this year, and a chaotic race at some point in the season, he could
do it. He does have the same bike as Aleix. Here's hoping..
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:Dovi went 348.3 Km/h during FP2.
I don't think anyone has gone that fast even at Mugello the last decade,
and I thought the Mugello straight normally provided the highest top speeds
on the calendar.

Losail Circuit Longest straight: 1.068 m / 0.664 miles
Mugello Circuit Longest straight: 1.141 m / 0.709 miles

That's 216.42 mph. I'm starting to wonder just how fast these bikes go at Mugello. Probably pretty scary fast. We'll have to wait for Mugello to find out.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Scratch that. I had a second look, and Pedrosa apparently went 349.3 km/h, during FP1 at Mugello 2009.

Edit:
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Deci ... rification
:shock: :?
Decision of the Grand Prix Commission – Regulation Clarification
Should any rider, or combination of riders nominated by the same Manufacturer, participating under the conditions of paragraph 2 above, achieve a race win, or accumulate two second places or three podium places in dry conditions during the 2014 and/or 2015 seasons then for that Manufacturer the fuel tank capacity will be reduced to 22 litres. Furthermore, should the same Manufacturer accumulate three race wins in the 2014 and/or 2015 seasons the manufacturer would also lose the right to use the soft tyres available to Open category entries.

In each case the reduced concessions will apply to the remaining events of the 2014 season and the whole of the 2015 season.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Marquez on pole still not 100% fit? Let me be surprised...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Quite pleasantly surprised with the quality of the racing in the Motogp - ok so it was still the same 3 out of 4 bikes on the podium by the end, but if Lorenzo, Bradl and Bautista had kept
it upright the result could well have been different. Dani would almost certainly have finished a fair bit further down. Also a shame that Espagaro started so far back, would have been interesting
to see how the Open Class bike compared to the others in close racing. And Ducati ... well, new rules, same old, same old.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Just caught up with the highlights on ITV4 (awful btw, 2 commentators that talk over one another and no introduction covering practice/qualifying) and is was a pretty good race. Would have been interesting to see what Lorenzo could have done had he stayed upright, but good to Rossi giving Marquez a run for his money. Pedrosa looked like he was never in it but they'll be days this season where he's the fastest guy out there. Whether that will enough for Honda to retain him we'll have to see.

As for the Brits, well, just as Bradley Smith looked like he might win some praise from me (i.e. a slight suggestion that he might be worth of a ride in MotoGP) he goes and bins it. He's so overrated. On the flip side of that there was Scott Redding who put in a great performance considering the machinery at his disposal. Poor old Cal Crutchlow is going to have a long season.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Watched the race live, and I have to admit that I was a bit down pre race, because after qualifying I thought Rossi wouldn't have a good year, again.
He commented on how the bike/tyres didn't feel good etc. Then he went on and had yet another thrilling battle with MM.
I loved how he didn't give up, he tried many times to keep the lead with his slightly-inferior-during-acceleration Yamaha.
Bodes well for the next race.
Rossi now has 148 podiums in MotoGP/500cc. Just to compare that to F1, Michael had 155.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Can you say domination?
Marquez was ahead of everybody by almost a second in FP1-3, and was unbeatable in qualifying.
I don't know how many times over he set a new qualifying record, but it was a lot.
And his leg is not even 100% yet.

Q2 final times saw Espargaro, Lorenzo and Rossi divided by only 0.004 :shock:
Should be a good race.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

That was the worst performed national anthem ever o_O.
Maybe not the best MotoGP race ever, but it was still interesting.
Lorenzo made probably the biggest mistake of his career by jumping the start. I think only
Alesi can beat that jump start. Too bad about Rossi dropping down the order after ten laps.
Poor Crutchlow, he had a terrible race even before that nasty injury. Apparently he was
quoted before the race to have compared riding the Ducati was like trying to drive a bus.
But he wanted the money ;)

And it makes Dovi's achievement all the more impressive, really.
He is always so smooth in his riding.

Bradley Smith's best ever result, good for him.

I just can't wrap my head around how much faster Espargaro is than teammate Edwards
in qualifying and races, it's like night and day.

The Moto2 race was much more exciting, but then it usually is.
That crash at turn 1 was scary, though.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

That first lap :shock:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Marquez is just absolutely dominant... Reminds me of Valentino Rossi in his heyday... :)
Trulli bad puns...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marquez just annihilates his opposition.
Pole position yesterday with 0.421 on second placed Lorenzo.

And today will be his 100th GP:

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

aaaand Marquez wins again! Can't see him missing the title to be honest. It's his to lose.

At least Rossi and Pedrosa were close for second place. Rossi has shades of his dominant days today with his second place.

I wonder what's going to happen to Pedrosa with Marquez running away with the title? Doubt he's going to like being #2 for a long time...
Trulli bad puns...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I'm starting to kind of dislike Crutchlow.
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/204022 ... -laps.html

I don't hear Dovi complaining, and Hayden rode for years on that bike without complaining as much as Cal has done in one
months time. Remember, CC went there for the money so now he ought to work for it and solve the problem instead of spewing
crap on the team.
I hear he posts negative things on twitter, too. :roll:
mario

Post by mario »

Jocke1 wrote:I'm starting to kind of dislike Crutchlow.
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/204022 ... -laps.html

I don't hear Dovi complaining, and Hayden rode for years on that bike without complaining as much as Cal has done in one
months time. Remember, CC went there for the money so now he ought to work for it and solve the problem instead of spewing
crap on the team.
I hear he posts negative things on twitter, too. :roll:

Whilst the circumstances might have made him feel more bitter - I suspect that many posters would be somewhat scathing if they were given a bike with a faulty brake system - I have to agree that simply throwing abuse at the team is not going to make things better. If he was offering constructive criticism, that might at least sugar the pill for Ducati - what he has been saying today, though, is the opposite of helpful.

What I do wonder, though, is whether Ducati's form might set back Dorna's efforts to push the Open class onto the manufacturer teams - Ducati seem to be only marginally more competitive than last season despite their conversion to the Open class, so at the moment it doesn't look as if there is any real incentive for Honda or Yamaha to make the move just yet.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Wow at this rate Marquez could make dominating years like Sebastian Loeb's 2008 for Michael Schumacher's 2002/2004 look lame
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Marquez's "revised strike rate" for his career is 52,94 %. 36 wins from 68 starts.

Revised strike rate = win percentage during the time which starts from 1st win, ends to last win.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Jeez, Ducati May be running quickly downhill, but complaining like that is not going to gain him any sympathy with anyone. I don't see this partnership ending well for both sides.
Trulli bad puns...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Wow at this rate Marquez could make dominating years like Sebastian Loeb's 2008 for Michael Schumacher's 2002/2004 look lame

What's frightening is that he has won his first title at 20 years 266 days. Schumacher was 25 years old when he won his first and Loeb was 30 years old when he won his first. There's no guarantee that Marquez will continue to be so dominant over the years, it would only take a set of rule changes that don't suit his riding style to bring him back to the pack (see Vettel). However there is every chance he could win every race this season.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

He has complete and utter faith in the electronics, much like Stoner. I'd like to see both go head-to-head on the factory Hondas over a season or two and see which comes out on top. I suspect it would still be Marc.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:He has complete and utter faith in the electronics, much like Stoner. I'd like to see both go head-to-head on the factory Hondas over a season or two and see which comes out on top. I suspect it would still be Marc.

Well Marc already seems to be better at looking after tyres than Casey, so I would suspect the same as you.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:He has complete and utter faith in the electronics, much like Stoner. I'd like to see both go head-to-head on the factory Hondas over a season or two and see which comes out on top. I suspect it would still be Marc.

Well Marc already seems to be better at looking after tyres than Casey, so I would suspect the same as you.

I think Marc would beat Casey Stoner based on that observation, plus Marc has ambition, which Stoner at the time of his MotoGP retirement didn't seem to have much of. Stoner didn't seem to have motivation. Marc has a lot of it.

I think Marc's first four races this year have said a lot.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool