The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AndreaModa

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Abraham demonstrated his ineptitude and exactly why he doesn't deserve to be in MotoGP, let alone a prototype bike. Cardion have confirmed they'll be running an Aprillia CRT next year, but I don't think anyone else is stepping up to run a customer Ducati so it'll just be the two run by Pramac it seems.

When you look at his junior category results you have to wonder how he got anywhere near MotoGP in the first place.

Because Pops owns the Cardion AB team...

Yep, in essence he's a pay driver, simple as that. On pure talent alone I doubt he'd even get into Moto2.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
eurobrun wrote:When you look at his junior category results you have to wonder how he got anywhere near MotoGP in the first place.

Yep, in essence he's a pay driver, simple as that. On pure talent alone I doubt he'd even get into Moto2.

He did win in Moto2 though in 2010, got a 3rd in Japan too that year.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:

He did win in Moto2 though in 2010, got a 3rd in Japan too that year.

And did absolutely nothing notaple for the rest of the year. Still better than Joan Olive though.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

Really, the Moto2 and Moto3 races are usually far more interesting to watch - more riders, with the bikes closer to parity than the leading category. All of which leads to more on-track battles. In Moto3, with the riders being on average younger, you also get the added spectacle of more hissy fits if someone goes off.

But the main issue I have with MotoGP is not the electronics, the riders or the tracks. It's something more basic than that. The bikes just don't sound good enough. They don't sound remotely like high-performance sports bikes. One of the joys of F1 is the visceral sensation of all the engine noises, and if you're missing that, then something is lost. I remember James Hunt making the comment at the start of the San Marino Grand Prix in 1989 that it was great to hear the sound of proper engines again after the turbo years.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Yes please.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Super+SIC+Special+Edition+Honda+CBR1000R+1+day+remaining
Only one day remains to submit a bid on ebay for the 'Super Sic' inspired Honda CBR1000RR

-*:-
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Jocke1 wrote:Yes please.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Super+SIC+Special+Edition+Honda+CBR1000R+1+day+remaining
Only one day remains to submit a bid on ebay for the 'Super Sic' inspired Honda CBR1000RR

Sold for over 50k Euros to raise a lot of money for charity!
Last edited by madmark1974 on 21 Sep 2012, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Belegur wrote:Really, the Moto2 and Moto3 races are usually far more interesting to watch - more riders, with the bikes closer to parity than the leading category. All of which leads to more on-track battles. In Moto3, with the riders being on average younger, you also get the added spectacle of more hissy fits if someone goes off.

But the main issue I have with MotoGP is not the electronics, the riders or the tracks. It's something more basic than that. The bikes just don't sound good enough. They don't sound remotely like high-performance sports bikes. One of the joys of F1 is the visceral sensation of all the engine noises, and if you're missing that, then something is lost. I remember James Hunt making the comment at the start of the San Marino Grand Prix in 1989 that it was great to hear the sound of proper engines again after the turbo years.

It's highly unlikely you'll ever get that again though unless they go back to two-strokes, and that will never happen. Two-stroke, as far as bike engines are concerned, is a dead technology. The emissions and efficiency just aren't a match for four-strokes, so although they may be more competitive in racing, they're useless on road bikes.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Really scary crash for Hayden today. I watched the race live on TV, and I was quite concerned for Hayden´s health at that moment. Too many road racers have died last few years and Hayden should definitely thank his lucky stars tonight for not even getting injured.

http://youtu.be/qEe6Rz3a1_g
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Went to Hayden´s website to look for a comment about yesterday:

“I spun the tyre a lot on the start but was able to get past Rossi and Johnny Rea. The rear brake wasn’t working great from about halfway around the lap, maybe because I overheated it. I was trying to keep the group in front of me in sight, but I pushed the front in the last turn. I was able to pick it up, but I came up on that wall really fast. I thought I might hit it headfirst if I jumped off, so I let go right before impact. I’m sorry to tear up the bike, but I’m thankful for great safety equipment and to be okay.”

He actually had the presence of mind to plan his escape. What a tense few tenths before impact.

But then I found something very odd:
http://www.nickyhayden.com/2011/11/10/world-champ

That is inexcusable, not knowing when you were world champion. He should fire the guys making his website. Nicky was champ in '06.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Looking at a close-up of Hayden's Ducati, I've never realised they had AMG logos on the front of the bike. How's that?
RonDenisDeletraz

Phoenix wrote:Looking at a close-up of Hayden's Ducati, I've never realised they had AMG logos on the front of the bike. How's that?

It seems even stranger when you consider Ducati will be owned by Audi next year.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Pedrosa wins Malaysian round of MotoGP... after a very short race thanks due to rain. You know what? It was a 14 lap race (after red flag) out of... 20 laps!! ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

FMecha wrote:Pedrosa wins Malaysian round of MotoGP... after a very short race thanks due to rain. You know what? It was a 14 lap race (after red flag) out of... 20 laps!! ;)

Considering that a MotoGP bike laps the circuit in over two minutes, 20 laps makes it one of the longest races on the calender.

Not sure about others here, but I found it very interesting that the race organisers threw the red flag almost immediately after Lorenzo started signalling and then almost dropped it going into the final corner. You could tell Pedrosa and Honda weren't happy. Looking at the lean angles the bikes were at during the race, it shows just how well the electronics control the power delivery when they accelerate out of the corners.

Bucking against his usual trend of just stating the obvious, Toby Moody wrote a good piece on Autosport a little while ago on the future of MotoGP, he's spot on when he says the sport needs to take a look at other series. It's a Plus article, but one that was offered free, so everyone can see it! :)

http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/4886/motogp-how-the-past-could-help-the-future/

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I don't know if you saw it, but the BBC had an interview with Rossi before the race and he was asked what he thought of the state of MotoGP and its future. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said something like

"It's the worst it's been for 10 years (since the 500ccs went)- it's boring, you look at Moto3 and Moto2 and the races are very exciting, watch MotoGP and you fall asleep"

I don't think he's alone in that opinion - in fact you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees, and I don't believe that just comes from him being fed up being stuck in the lower midfield either.

If things for next year carry on the same I'm just hoping that with 2 competitive riders on each of the top 2 bikes (assuming Marquez gets up to speed fairly quickly), and hopefully Ducati actually producing
a bike that works properly, it can be better. I don't think there's anything wrong with the formula (I'm not going to discuss the CRT regulations ..), it's just that there are not enough people in with a chance
of winning - really every event has been a 2-horse race since Stoner injured himself, last year at least Spies and Dovi were more competitive - though they are not going to be anywhere next year unless
the aforementioned Ducati improvement happens. I am aware that Honda and Yamaha have a bit too much power over the series, but I'm not sure what can be done to counteract them ...

The 2014 regulations may be interesting ...
Last edited by madmark1974 on 22 Oct 2012, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:Bucking against his usual trend of just stating the obvious, Toby Moody wrote a good piece on Autosport a little while ago on the future of MotoGP, he's spot on when he says the sport needs to take a look at other series. It's a Plus article, but one that was offered free, so everyone can see it! :)

http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/4886/motogp-how-the-past-could-help-the-future/

I know this is besides the main point of the article but just how shite did the Honda F1 engine have to be to have the standard ECU be better than the in-house system? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

It was one year ago yesterday.

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

So Lorenzo takes the title with his 16th podium of the season ...

I wonder what was going on at Honda, would Stoner have ever let Pedrosa win that race?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:So Lorenzo takes the title with his 16th podium of the season ...

I wonder what was going on at Honda, would Stoner have ever let Pedrosa win that race?

I doubt it, clearly Dani was pushing way too hard early on and paid the price. Stoner is a master of Phillip Island, even considering his injury he was mightily strong all weekend. For Pedrosa though, that's another title he's lost. Seven years on a factory bike, with the might of the most successful bike manufacturer behind him and he still hasn't won a championship. I honestly don't understand why HRC have tolerated him for so long, maybe it was the Spanish influence to keep Repsol happy, but now they have Marquez, who I fully expect to start matching Dani from the off in 2013, there's no need to keep him on board. They should have ditched Pedrosa and signed Rossi for a couple of seasons. To have the yellow #46 back on a Repsol bike would have been a nice way to cap off Valentino's career, or maybe even Nasturo Azzurro could have been persuaded to make a comeback and Rossi could have rode a separate 'third' bike with them sponsoring, that would have been cool!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Looks like another cyclist got caught doping, but not the usual kind of cyclist:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103898
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jocke1 wrote:It was one year ago yesterday.

Did you edit this yourself? If so, HWNSNBM points to you lad.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dan B wrote:Looks like another cyclist got caught doping, but not the usual kind of cyclist:

Why would doping in auto racing do any good? You don't usually see any jacked-up people in racing...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
RonDenisDeletraz

Considering that the substance is found in training supplements and apparently some nasal decongestants as well I highly doubt that he was using it to enhance performance

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Gavin Emmett talks to Randy de Puniet and fiancé Lauren Vickers, Colin Edwards meets the fans and we show the best moments from three champions being crowned.

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2012/Af ... +Australia

Pretty good free video.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

redbulljack14 wrote:Did you edit this yourself? If so, HWNSNBM points to you lad.

No, I didn't create it. But I love it.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Dan B wrote:Looks like another cyclist got caught doping, but not the usual kind of cyclist:

Why would doping in auto racing do any good? You don't usually see any jacked-up people in racing...

Ask Tomas Enge or Jeremy Mayfield. Or A. J. Admellinger. :lol:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Did anyone see what Marc Marquez just did? He went from 33rd to 1st in the last race of the season, podium ceremonies have just been concluded. It was an amazing performance.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

FMecha wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

*A.J. Allmendinger :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

FMecha wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

Or Vic Lee.
Trump 2016
CarlosFerreira

The MotoGP 2013 thread

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Here's a space for all the MotoGP lovers to have a go.

2012 was a difficult year, and we've lost Stoner to boot. I'll share my opinion on his departure at some point, but now is the time to look ahead.

In Malaysia, on only his third time on a MotoGP bike (and the first fully dry day), the man chosen to take over from Stoner, Marc Marquez, has been 0.6 seconds faster than fellow Spaniard Alvaro Bautista - on a similar motorcycle but with different suspension, and who reportedly did "limited running" during the day. More important: Marquez equalled the track's race record.

Oh my. I really do think Marquez is the real deal.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Salamander

Re: The MotoGP 2013 thread

Post by Salamander »

Carlos, hate to break it to you, but we've aleady got a MotoGP thread...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Carlos, hate to break it to you, but we've aleady got a MotoGP thread...

Not the same thing. That's for eulogies to the hairy guy.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Marquez for the title next season because he equalled the track record at sepang and went from 33rd to 1st in the final round of the Moto 2
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Carlos, hate to break it to you, but we've aleady got a MotoGP thread...

Nope, not at all. It's named after him but the discussion revolves around MotoGP in general.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Nuppiz wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Nope, not at all. It's named after him but the discussion revolves around MotoGP in general.

OK, merged. Have at it!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Meanwhile in Jerez, two WSBKs were faster than the 2013 prototype 'cati.

Eugene Laverty ended The Tom Sykes Show during the final day of a three-day World Superbike test Wednesday at Jerez, turning a top lap of 1:40.185 on his Aprilia.

But that was only a sideshow to a rare occurrence - World Super and MotoGP bikes turning laps on the same day at the same track. And Laverty topped the quickest MotoGP bike, too.

Nicky Hayden produced the top MotoGP lap of 1:40.855 on his 1000cc prototype Ducati GP13, seven-tenths slower than Laverty's 1000cc production-based Aprilia. Granted, this was Hayden's first day of testing, and Jerez never has been a sweet spot for Ducati's MotoGP bikes. Plus Laverty reportedly churned out his top lap during a banzai run in the final hour on Superpole tires, in a brazen grab for the pinnacle of the speed chart.

Still...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Meanwhile in Jerez, two WSBKs were faster than the 2013 prototype 'cati.

Eugene Laverty ended The Tom Sykes Show during the final day of a three-day World Superbike test Wednesday at Jerez, turning a top lap of 1:40.185 on his Aprilia.

But that was only a sideshow to a rare occurrence - World Super and MotoGP bikes turning laps on the same day at the same track. And Laverty topped the quickest MotoGP bike, too.

Nicky Hayden produced the top MotoGP lap of 1:40.855 on his 1000cc prototype Ducati GP13, seven-tenths slower than Laverty's 1000cc production-based Aprilia. Granted, this was Hayden's first day of testing, and Jerez never has been a sweet spot for Ducati's MotoGP bikes. Plus Laverty reportedly churned out his top lap during a banzai run in the final hour on Superpole tires, in a brazen grab for the pinnacle of the speed chart.

Still...

Just shows how similar the two classes are now. It would never have been sustainable but if MotoGP had stuck to two strokes, at least that would have differentiated the two a bit, plus we'd still have that beautiful smell of two stroke fumes at the races! Now WSB is under Dorna though I suspect we'll see some changes to strip them of the electronics and take them back to more conventional road bikes, which is what it should always have been about.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

AndreaModa wrote:Just shows how similar the two classes are now. It would never have been sustainable but if MotoGP had stuck to two strokes, at least that would have differentiated the two a bit, plus we'd still have that beautiful smell of two stroke fumes at the races! Now WSB is under Dorna though I suspect we'll see some changes to strip them of the electronics and take them back to more conventional road bikes, which is what it should always have been about.

True.

I would argue there's a number of other things at play - Hayden is still riding injured and has no motivation to get hurt again, for example. It's still a shocker, mind - a bit like Audi and Toyota turning up to a Ferrari test at Silverstone, slapping some qualifiers on their Le Mans machines, and going faster than Massa*. It would bring down the house.

Meanwhile, Hayden has gone faster than the WSBKs yesterday.

Nicky Hayden lowered his lap time by almost one-second during day two of private testing at Jerez, putting the Ducati rider under this week's best WSBK lap in the process.

The American, the only factory Ducati MotoGP rider on track with team-mate Andrea Dovizioso still struggling with a neck strain, improved from a 1m 40.855s on Wednesday to a 1m 40.090s on Thursday, despite a small fall.

That beat the 1m 40.185s by Aprilia WSBK star Eugene Laverty, set with qualifying tyre on Wednesday. Laverty and Kawasaki's Tom Sykes both set a 1m 40.4s with race tyres. The Jerez MotoGP race lap record is a 1m 39.731s.

Still, nothing to write home about.

____
*I know the differences are bigger in cars.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The battle is approaching. :D
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

The battle is approaching. :D

Battle is on!Sepang test, day 1:

crash.net wrote:1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 2m 1.314s (Lap 41/43)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 2m 1.357s (41/42)
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 2m 1.584s (30/45)
4. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 2m 1.599s (34/39)
5. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V) 2m 1.789s (43/59)
6. Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.992s (42/44)
7. Alvaro Bautista ESP Honda Gresini (RC213V) 2m 2.237s (31/39)
8. Katsayuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 3.084s (32/41)
9. Kosuke Akiyoshi JPN Honda Test Rider (RC213V) 2m 3.184s (33/43)
10. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP13) 2m 3.336s (22/36)
11. Wataru Yoshikawa JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 3.456s (14/40)
12. Bradley Smith GBR Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 2m 3.736s (31/43)
13. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP13) 2m 3.937s (19/31)
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Aspar (ART CRT) 2m 4.168s (28/42)
15. Randy De Puniet FRA Aspar (ART CRT) 2m 4.283s (42/43)
16. Andrea Iannone ITA Pramac Racing (GP13) 2m 5.048s (34/34)
17. Ben Spies USA Pramac Racing (GP13) 2m 5.086s (19/21)
18. Takumi Takahashi JPN Honda Test Rider (RC213V) 2m 5.188s (31/54)
19. Yonny Hernandez COL Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 2m 5.656s (39/40)
20. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB (ART CRT) 2m 5.694s (30/38)
21. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 5.944s (27/28)
22. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 6.378s (21/34)
23. Claudio Corti ITA Forward (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 6.709s (19/26)
24. Lukas Pesek CZE IodaRacing (Suter-BMW CRT)* 2m 7.015s (40/46)
25. Bryan Staring AUS Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT)* 2m 7.044s (33/41)
26. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 2m 7.496s (29/30)
27. Colin Edwards USA Forward (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 8.206s (24/25)

Dani and Marc separated by less that 0.1s, Jorge and Valentino separated by less that 0.1s, Stefan and Cal separated by just over 0.1s...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

From those initial times, it seems as if nothing much has changed since the last few races of last year - Honda slightly ahead of Yamaha, and Ducati a fair way behind. Interesting to see Marquez right on
the pace straight away - really Pedrosa should be able to (and must expect to) beat him in at least the first 4 or 5 races, or maybe Marquez really is "that good" or (as I guess several people may think) Dani
isn't actually "that good". Notice Bradley Smith still has a fair amount of work to do ... And Dovi must be kicking himself ... Along with Ben Spies ...