The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Dj_bereta

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by Dj_bereta »

F1000X wrote:Well done Marquez. Really keeping your shite together. :facepalm:

Marquez is quickly becoming the Travis Pastrana (Motocross/Supercross) of Moto GP. Very fast but keeps crashing.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Not really correct but anyway last night at Laguna Seca, supporting Superbike Championship, MotoAmerica had a horrific crash that resulted in two ridets diedd. Hard week really for motorsport. RIP
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

http://www.racer.com/more/moto-gp/item/ ... ing-arrest
This has shades of Andrea Moda to it!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

With 11 laps to go, this rain at Silverstone is really mixing up things the great way. Come on Petrucci! Come on Ducati! Come on Rossi!

5 laps to go update: COME ON there's time!

2 laps to go update: Ah Rossi breaks the gap :(

Finish: Meh
tommykl has a stroke
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Congratulations anyway. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
tommykl has a stroke
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

AxelP800 wrote:Congratulations anyway. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Did you watch the press conference?

Petrucci said;

'I've never been in that situation riding behind Lorenzo and Pedrosa. Only
on the Playstation.'

:)
-*:-
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

What a great race for the Brits at Misano! Last time two shared the podium was 1979! As I don't get BT Sport I had to make
do with the ITV4 highlights and I don't remember even seeing Redding or Smith until about 5 laps from the end of the
race, the coverage they had was awful, with Huewen making no end of errors in his commentary, not impressed.

Also, Smith up to 5th in the championship, doing a great job and proving the many doubters wrong, deservedly getting
another year with the team. Really, under normal circumstances he should be fighting with the Ducatis for 5th at best,
or more likely finishing behind them in 7th, OK so Pedrosa went AWOL for a few races but Bradley's sticking in there
and 5th or 6th is probably better then they could have hoped for.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:What a great race for the Brits at Misano! Last time two shared the podium was 1979! As I don't get BT Sport I had to make do with the ITV4 highlights and I don't remember even seeing Redding or Smith until about 5 laps from the end of the race, the coverage they had was awful, with Huewen making no end of errors in his commentary, not impressed.

I'm the same. Certainly not shelling out for BT Sport just for the MotoGP, so ITV4 it is. Of course, with the races lasting about 45-60 minutes, you hardly miss anything with the highlights package!

On Huewen - there's always a moan every now and then about a commentator for whatever reason. But this clown takes the cake every time. He is a complete mess, and it's not like it's just come with old age - I was watching some old WSBK races from the early 90s and he was commentating on them, just as badly as he does now! I would much rather have Gavin Emmett do the commentary than this fool, he's the one reason I'm not enjoying MotoGP at the moment, everything else about it is great at present!

madmark1974 wrote:Also, Smith up to 5th in the championship, doing a great job and proving the many doubters wrong, deservedly getting another year with the team. Really, under normal circumstances he should be fighting with the Ducatis for 5th at best, or more likely finishing behind them in 7th, OK so Pedrosa went AWOL for a few races but Bradley's sticking in there and 5th or 6th is probably better then they could have hoped for.

Pedrosa is completely spent. He will probably go down as one of the best riders never to win a championship but in all honesty at what point has he ever really been that close? He's a bit like Biaggi in that he had loads of promise in 250s and then a nice cushy factory ride for years and proceeding to do nothing with it.

Smith has had a great year overall. Been largely ahead of Pol for most of the time and the podium is a deserved reward, especially considering he spent the entire race on slicks. Having seen him come up all the way from 125s, he hasn't had the smoothest of careers but I'd like to see what he could do on a factory bike.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see Yamaha, and Suzuki, make a stronger commitment to the series. Forward deserve to have the same bikes Tech 3 are getting, and I'd like to see Suzuki run a satellite team, if only to help them get more competitive. Aspar would be the ideal team and that would get another second class/handicapped team off the grid because despite everything that Dorna (and Honda to their credit) have done, we still have a two-tier series.

All pointless conjecture because of costs, blah, blah but looking back at some of the latter day 500cc races, the competitive fields meant everyone had a chance of victory. Look at the 2000 Philip Island GP and the satellite bikes mixing it with the factory boys. Oh and play "spot the Repsol Hondas"!!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

AndreaModa wrote:All pointless conjecture because of costs, blah, blah but looking back at some of the latter day 500cc races, the competitive fields meant everyone had a chance of victory. Look at the 2000 Philip Island GP and the satellite bikes mixing it with the factory boys. Oh and play "spot the Repsol Hondas"!!

Those bikes were sheer beauty. I know MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 still provide for some exciting racing, but in no way could they ever reach the glorious days of 125cc, 250cc and 500cc in the 90s. (Plus, you probably know my disdain for everything coming close to a spec series).
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

novitopoli wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:All pointless conjecture because of costs, blah, blah but looking back at some of the latter day 500cc races, the competitive fields meant everyone had a chance of victory. Look at the 2000 Philip Island GP and the satellite bikes mixing it with the factory boys. Oh and play "spot the Repsol Hondas"!!

Those bikes were sheer beauty. I know MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 still provide for some exciting racing, but in no way could they ever reach the glorious days of 125cc, 250cc and 500cc in the 90s. (Plus, you probably know my disdain for everything coming close to a spec series).

But let's be fair here, what we ended up with by the late 1990s, certainly in the 500s, was a formula that had existed for so long with little change which meant the factory backed teams had little advantage over everyone else. And you had a domination by Honda. Yes in the video above, Biaggi wins on the Yamaha and McCoy was right in there, but aside from Roberts Jnr's title on the Suzuki in 2000 and Rossi's on the Yamaha in 2004, every year was a Honda benefit from 1994 onwards!

So my rambling point is, that by the late 1990s the 500s were pretty much as close to a spec series as you'll get without actually having a spec series. That's why the satellite bikes could run so close (and regularly beat) the factory boys. And that's why the racing was so good.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I'd urge anyone with an interest in MotoGp to watch last weekend's race at Phillip Island. Great entertainment,
best race in the top class I've seen for quite a while, in fact, to be honest, most of this year has been pretty good.

Oh, and worth it just to see Andrea Iannone kill a seagull with this headbutt!

https://youtu.be/tOW3byd0I84

(Apparently it actually hit his bike but it sure looks like a proper 'Glaswegian Kiss') ...
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Apparently the clash of Rossi-Marquez is repeating the clash in the 90s but I forgot who are they and what year, I certainly had read it several times. Crossed fingers
tommykl has a stroke
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Rossi has been robbed.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Izzyeviel wrote:Rossi has been robbed.

Rossi has robbed himself. Although Marquez lost a lot of sympathy to me, Rossi never should have been that stupid.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Only 3 existence knows the truth: Rossi and Marquez themself and God.
tommykl has a stroke
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, I'm disappointed in Rossi, but the contact was far from clear-cut and Marquez has been an arsehole the entire time. Have to say Marc's fallen down in my estimations of him. But Valentino should have been the bigger man and ran his own race, even if it meant 4th rather than 3rd. As it stands, he's going to find it almost impossible to get the job done in Valencia, and that's if he even turns up! He's come out and said he might not even bother!

All said and done though, best season we've had in a while isn't it? I wonder why that is...!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, I'm disappointed in Rossi, but the contact was far from clear-cut and Marquez has been an arsehole the entire time. Have to say Marc's fallen down in my estimations of him. But Valentino should have been the bigger man and ran his own race, even if it meant 4th rather than 3rd. As it stands, he's going to find it almost impossible to get the job done in Valencia, and that's if he even turns up! He's come out and said he might not even bother!

All said and done though, best season we've had in a while isn't it? I wonder why that is...!

Your assertion the clash between the two of them is not clear cut is ridiculous. Rossi looked over his shoulder twice to make sure he knew where Marquez was, then took his leg off of the bike and deliberately pressed it into Marquez helmet. Unless you're some sort of Rossi apologist, that's fairly clear on the tape, as it was to the guys on the World Feed. That was a great battle, one of the best MotoGP has ever seen, up until the point Rossi turned into a scumbag and did that. Now he is almost assured to lose the championship as a result and absolutely deserves to.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

To me it looked like Rossi was trying to force Marquez wide, rather than make him crash. Certainly unsportsmanlike, but not as bad as some parts of the sensationalist media are making it out to be. Knocking him to the back of the grid was the right penalty in my opinion.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
tBone

Post by tBone »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:To me it looked like Rossi was trying to force Marquez wide, rather than make him crash. Certainly unsportsmanlike, but not as bad as some parts of the sensationalist media are making it out to be. Knocking him to the back of the grid was the right penalty in my opinion.

I totally agree. However, despite Rossi was wrong, I still hope that he somehow makes it to the title. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but it would be sensational, wouldn't it?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

F1000X wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, I'm disappointed in Rossi, but the contact was far from clear-cut and Marquez has been an arsehole the entire time. Have to say Marc's fallen down in my estimations of him. But Valentino should have been the bigger man and ran his own race, even if it meant 4th rather than 3rd. As it stands, he's going to find it almost impossible to get the job done in Valencia, and that's if he even turns up! He's come out and said he might not even bother!

Your assertion the clash between the two of them is not clear cut is ridiculous. Rossi looked over his shoulder twice to make sure he knew where Marquez was, then took his leg off of the bike and deliberately pressed it into Marquez helmet. Unless you're some sort of Rossi apologist, that's fairly clear on the tape, as it was to the guys on the World Feed. That was a great battle, one of the best MotoGP has ever seen, up until the point Rossi turned into a scumbag and did that. Now he is almost assured to lose the championship as a result and absolutely deserves to.

Re-read what I've written - I said the contact was far from clear cut. There isn't a camera angle that definitely confirms which parts hit what. I'm not disputing that the move was calculated - the fact you think anyone can argue against that is telling. It's obvious Rossi was pissed and had had enough. The descriptions that he effectively booted Marquez off the bike are sensationalist and wide of the mark. There was contact, it was calculated, but from the camera angles it's far from clear-cut as to what exactly it was.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Jorge has one hand on the trophy now.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I'm actually neutral but do it seems that Marquez have 100% chance to overtake Lorenzo at turn 6 for many laps but didn't? I can see what will happen next everywhere on the net.
#RossiChamp
Oops....
tommykl has a stroke
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

So Jorge Lorenzo snatched the title away from Rossi...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

:dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Whoever you support (I'll always support Rossi myself) you can't take it away from the top four riders today, they all rode hard and had great races. Rossi cutting through the field did everything he could, Pedrosa with his comeback in the last few laps, Marquez who stayed with Lorenzo despite potential front tyre problems, and of course Lorenzo for putting in a storming pole lap yesterday and leading every lap today. Well done lads!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:So Jorge Lorenzo snatched the title away from Rossi...

He has, but he may yet come to regret the comments that he made afterwards - the fact that he referred to Marquez and Pedrosa helping him out of a shared sense of national pride are likely to raise a lot of questions about Marquez's conduct on track and some uncomfortable headlines for Dorna.

Lorenzo appeared to suggest that Marquez and Pedrosa had helped him at Valencia by not attempting to make a pass during the championship finale, telling the Movistar MotoGP channel: “They knew what I had in play. The fact they are Spaniards like me helped me.

“That helped me because for sure in another kind of race they would have tried to overtake, which they didn't this time.

“If Valentino had been in my position and with Italians behind they would have done exactly the same. The title had to be for Spain.”

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/225017 ... iracy.html
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

In the end, Marquez is the biggest loser. I've never seen a driver getting so unpopular in a space of only few races. Schumacher threw his car against Hill and Villeneuve and never had this rejection that Marquez has today.

This indirectly affect Honda image too (if this isn't enough after a shameful year in F1 and Indycar). Obviously the team won't fire Marquez, since he is one of the best riders out here, but I wonder if the team will start to think in a replacement if he keeps with this attitude in the races, as well keeping crashing like in this season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Dat Moto3 race. Unbelievable
tommykl has a stroke
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Jorge Lorenzo will leave Yamaha at the end of the season. Most likely to join Ducati in 2017.

https://twitter.com/MotoGPJules/status/ ... 9530903552
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Jorge Lorenzo will leave Yamaha at the end of the season. Most likely to join Ducati in 2017.

https://twitter.com/MotoGPJules/status/ ... 9530903552

So with Rossi staying until 2018, who will Yamaha sign?

I think Dovi is likely on his way out of Ducati, can't see him on a Yamaha, so who else may be available? Pedrosa?

Can't see that one either ... Vinales maybe?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Vinales is lined up ready to jump on the Yamaha. It's known that he is the Yamaha management's preferred option, it's just whether Suzuki can convince him that they're competitiveness will continue to rise over the course of this year and into the future. They haven't made a bad start at that at least so it's all still up in the air. I'd still expect Vinales to end up at Yamaha though.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Yup, MCN are suggesting Vinales as well. I can't see Suzuki being able to compete in a bidding war with Yamaha.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/2016/april/what-next-for-yamaha/
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:Yup, MCN are suggesting Vinales as well. I can't see Suzuki being able to compete in a bidding war with Yamaha.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/2016/april/what-next-for-yamaha/

No, which is a shame for Suzuki because just like they were before they quit, they're on the cusp of podium finishes, bottom half of the top ten sort of stuff and without a world class rider to elevate them that bit higher. They need at least one more bike in a satellite team to help with development and data, and a bit more investment. An actual sponsor would help in that regard!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

That. Last. Lap. Brilliant.
tommykl has a stroke
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Have only just caught up with the last race and had missed all the news about who had signed for who!

So we've got :

Lorenzo and Dovi at Ducati
Rossi and Vinales at Yamaha
Pedrosa and (TBA) (Marquez) at Honda
Iannone and TBA at Suzuki

All of which promises pretty well, all the top riders still there but half of them on different machinery.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:Have only just caught up with the last race and had missed all the news about who had signed for who!

So we've got :

Lorenzo and Dovi at Ducati
Rossi and Vinales at Yamaha
Pedrosa and (TBA) (Marquez) at Honda
Iannone and TBA at Suzuki

All of which promises pretty well, all the top riders still there but half of them on different machinery.

Yeah, potentially a very interesting season next year, though I'm slightly disappointed that Vinales went to Yamaha instead of staying at Suzuki. There was the potential for Pedrosa to switch to Yamaha which would have been amazing.

Plus you have KTM which already have Smith confirmed and are looking likely to sign Pol Espargaro too.

It would be hilarious if Lorenzo fails to make the Ducati competitive in the same way Rossi and Dovi have!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
andrew

Post by andrew »

Luis salom has died in a practice crash for the moto2 race at Cataluyna
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... tice-crash

R.I.P
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Horrible, sad. I remember him from his Moto3 days and now he's stepping to Moto2. Just saw him racing 2 weeks ago at Mugello.

Another young's dream goes as they are doing what they love.
Good bye, Luis Salom
tommykl has a stroke
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

I'm gonna post it on spanish, if you let me...

Hasta siempre, Luis...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
andrew

Post by andrew »

Due to the incident they are switching to the f1 layout