The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
golic_2004

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by golic_2004 »

Had the fans really known what the seriousness of what happened on track, they would have had a much different approach than throwing bottles on the track.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Waris

Post by Waris »

Motorsport can be so cruel sometimes. :(

I should knock on wood saying this, but I can't help but sometimes fear for F1, as well.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:Motorsport can be so cruel sometimes. :(

I should knock on wood saying this, but I can't help but sometimes fear for F1, as well.

I hope it will not happen in F1, but you can never be complacent, as this past week has proved.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:

I hope it will not happen in F1, but you can never be complacent, as this past week has proved.

Indeed we cannot. We should not forget that in the last few years we've (we as in F1) had our share of lucky escapes that had faith intervene in a different way (in Massa's case a couple of inches to the right) the outcome could've been different.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Indeed we cannot. We should not forget that in the last few years we've (we as in F1) had our share of lucky escapes that had faith intervene in a different way (in Massa's case a couple of inches to the right) the outcome could've been different.

The same could be said for Kubica's crash at Canada. How someone can lie there in a smashed car with their feet handing out yet still walk away will always amaze me.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
mario

Post by mario »

kostas22 wrote:It reminds me of Henri Toivonen. Both were just about to make their big breakthrough in fighting for the world championships, rebellious young drivers who drove at 110% non-stop. And then this happens...

RIP Marco Simoncelli.

Whilst he may have had a few rough times on the track, and rubbed some other riders up the wrong way (I'm thinking of his on and off the track battles with Lorenzo), he was certainly gifted and maturing very rapidly this year. Given that he looked to be right on the cusp of greater glory, off the back of a podium in the previous race and a promise of a works drive for next year, it's painfully sad to see what happened to him so soon afterwards - RIP Simoncelli.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

He was always an exciting rider and my favourite of the "new generation", some of his on track moves caused controversy but I always thought he was just on the right side of fair. His "feud" with Lorenzo this year was very entertaining, partly because his somewhat irreverent attitude made Lorenzo's accusations look childish.

He will be missed, RIP.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Just seen a piece of news in a Portuguese newspaper relating to Italian sources (it is in Portuguese, only posted the link because of the video) that Marco was treated in a rather shockingly way after crashing, by the track marshals. It's scenes that recall F1 assistance level of, say, 30 years ago. One word for the marshals, though, is that really tried to hurry and send Marco to the hospital. By the way, the same piece said that the Italian source, Fabio Venturi, who is a medical assistant with 25 years of experience, 'would not even transport a bag of potatoes like that', but he adds that even following the standard procedure, the outcome would most certainly be the same. I warn that the video is quite shocking.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
PLAYLIFE

Post by PLAYLIFE »

Lorenzo, Rossi and Simoncelli. The three guys who are in a tier above everyone else, the elite. Super Sic was coming of age, next year he would have been a formidable force.

I only have a few heroes in motorsport over the past 30 years:

- Gilles Villeneuve
- Jean Alesi
- Valentino Rossi
- Robert Kubica
- Sebastian Vettel
- Marco Simoncelli

Not only are they massive talents, they are hugely passionate and their personalities totally captured me.
That's what sets these 6 apart from the rest ... their human side - flair, passion, charisma and charm.
I've only met 2 of my heroes; and now 2 I will never meet.

In this sport, you can follow a driver or rider's career, watch them as they develop into accomplished racers, share in their greatest performances and most ignominious moments, anticipate their future successes with relish, only for it all to end forever in a matter of seconds. I am totally crushed.

A piece of motogp died on Sunday.

Thanks for the memories Super Sic, you'll be sorely missed.
Arrivederci.

- forza Super Sic #58 -
1977-1982
Gli Anni Della Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve
PLAYLIFE

Post by PLAYLIFE »

DanielPT wrote:Just seen a piece of news in a Portuguese newspaper relating to Italian sources (it is in Portuguese, only posted the link because of the video) that Marco was treated in a rather shockingly way after crashing, by the track marshals. It's scenes that recall F1 assistance level of, say, 30 years ago. One word for the marshals, though, is that really tried to hurry and send Marco to the hospital. By the way, the same piece said that the Italian source, Fabio Venturi, who is a medical assistant with 25 years of experience, 'would not even transport a bag of potatoes like that', but he adds that even following the standard procedure, the outcome would most certainly be the same. I warn that the video is quite shocking.

Same happened with Tomizawa and Kato. But as suggested, unfortunately it would have made no difference. Marco was already gone by then :(
1977-1982
Gli Anni Della Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

PLAYLIFE wrote:I only have a few heroes in motorsport over the past 30 years:

- Gilles Villeneuve
- Jean Alesi
- Valentino Rossi
- Robert Kubica
- Sebastian Vettel
- Marco Simoncelli

Which two did you meet?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
PLAYLIFE

Post by PLAYLIFE »

redbulljack14 wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:I only have a few heroes in motorsport over the past 30 years:

- Gilles Villeneuve
- Jean Alesi
- Valentino Rossi
- Robert Kubica
- Sebastian Vettel
- Marco Simoncelli

Which two did you meet?

Had a good chat with Seb Vettel in 2008 before the opening round in Australia. We chatted about his stunning win in Monza the year before.

Jean Alesi in Adelaide 1991, 1994 and 1995. It was interesting to see how he changed from being the young lion alongside Prost in 1991 with huge potential (despite Prost not being there that weekend) to a little jaded by his lack of success at the end of 1995 (and didn't it show in his race when he drove into Schumacher into Adelaide hairpin!!).
1977-1982
Gli Anni Della Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

DanielPT wrote:Just seen a piece of news in a Portuguese newspaper relating to Italian sources (it is in Portuguese, only posted the link because of the video) that Marco was treated in a rather shockingly way after crashing, by the track marshals. It's scenes that recall F1 assistance level of, say, 30 years ago. One word for the marshals, though, is that really tried to hurry and send Marco to the hospital. By the way, the same piece said that the Italian source, Fabio Venturi, who is a medical assistant with 25 years of experience, 'would not even transport a bag of potatoes like that', but he adds that even following the standard procedure, the outcome would most certainly be the same. I warn that the video is quite shocking.

Living in south east Asia I have had the misfortune to see quite a number of serious road traffic accidents, and actually attended 2. What i have consistently observed is a shocking lack of awareness of how to react in the event of trauma. I have seen people attempt to vigorously rub people down, remove helmets, carry people off the road at shoulder and knee, etc etc. This I might add includes so called paramedics. When staging motorsport events in developing countries (and despite the glitz in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is a developing country) it is vital to make extra efforts to ensure that all people involved in the race track side receive basic and repeated trauma training. I still remember in F1 the highly variable level of treatment that people recieved before a dedicated trauma team was initiated. but track side things still appear to be worrying. There is a good chance of course that these marshalls attend other local, regional, and International events at Sepang, including the F1 GP...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dnhrudi wrote:When staging motorsport events in developing countries (and despite the glitz in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is a developing country) it is vital to make extra efforts to ensure that all people involved in the race track side receive basic and repeated trauma training. I still remember in F1 the highly variable level of treatment that people recieved before a dedicated trauma team was initiated. but track side things still appear to be worrying. There is a good chance of course that these marshalls attend other local, regional, and International events at Sepang, including the F1 GP...

Absolutely spot on, whilst F1 continues to move into newly industrialising and developing countries, not enough is being done with regard to the infrastructure and training for trackside marshals. I hate to see it when a car goes off and the driver is just left to get out and move to a safe place himself whilst the (relatively) untrained marshals sit behind their nice big safety fence watching him like lemons. At that moment in time the driver is at his most vulnerable because he is neither inside the safety cell of the car, and nor is he behind the barriers. Yet the marshals seem content to just let the drivers get on with it themselves as if they're awaiting orders from above to go out and help. It should be instinctive - look at marshals in Japan or Britain or I'm sure most other European countries, and their knowledge and ability to read the situation could potentially save lives. It's something that I feel is being grossly ignored as new countries and their greedy promoters queue up to host a race and I fear it will one day come back to bite the sport if nothing is done.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Tribute to Simoncelli at Valencia earlier.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

What a finish to the race that was!

Not sure If I want to spoil it, but the last 10 laps or so made great television.

The conditions they were riding in would have been perfect for Simoncelli, the overall tribute was incredible and I actually think the future for Moto GP looks good. They can make a race at Valencia thrilling! (see WTCC and DTM and F2 and you begin to realise that track is no better then the street circuit, MOST OF THE TIME)
Message me on Discord.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Good circuits for motorcycles and for cars are not definitely the same category.

Do you know whether today's Moto2-winner Michele Pirro is related to Emanuele Pirro?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

QuickYoda41 wrote:Good circuits for motorcycles and for cars are not definitely the same category.

Do you know whether today's Moto2-winner Michele Pirro is related to Emanuele Pirro?

I was wondering the same as I was watching it, but it turns out his only two sons are Cristoforo and Goffredo according to his offical site.

I think the irony of many of the more recent tracks that have been designed to increase overtaking in F1 are actually less interesting when MotoGP goes there. The bikes don't even bother going to China or Turkey anymore, and Qatar is always a crap race, that's why they have it at night to try and disguise that fact! :lol: Sepang isn't much better for them either.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Judging from the couple of tests made until now the CRT regulations, coupled together with the prototype bikes, may be the biggest fail of the season in all motorsports in terms of rule introduction...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DanielPT wrote:Judging from the couple of tests made until now the CRT regulations, coupled together with the prototype bikes, may be the biggest fail of the season in all motorsports in terms of rule introduction...

It's like they're trying to run what are effectively Superbikes alongside prototype MotoGP bikes. It won't work. Some of them were nearly 10 seconds off the pace after the first day, and for bikes that's just completely unacceptable.

Good to see Ducati have been quick out of the box though, hopefully we'll see a decent fight between Stoner, Lorenzo and Rossi on three different machines for the title this year! :)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Judging from the couple of tests made until now the CRT regulations, coupled together with the prototype bikes, may be the biggest fail of the season in all motorsports in terms of rule introduction...

It's like they're trying to run what are effectively Superbikes alongside prototype MotoGP bikes. It won't work. Some of them were nearly 10 seconds off the pace after the first day, and for bikes that's just completely unacceptable.

Good to see Ducati have been quick out of the box though, hopefully we'll see a decent fight between Stoner, Lorenzo and Rossi on three different machines for the title this year! :)

Cannot disagree with that really. One thing is your team building a car/bike off the pace, learn to do it properly and gradually come closer to the midfield. The other is the ruling federation placing at your disposal the idea of acquiring a bike that it is a cheap solution compared to developing one for scratch except that this bike is hopelessly off the pace and you will never ever see the developed car/bike unless you are starting the race or in the many times they lap you. It's like bringing a donkey to a pedigree horse race. It is pointless...

I too hope for Ducati this season. MotoGP gets richer if more people are fighting for the championship. And after last year, it is the best it could happen.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

They're gonna need it too to take some of the heat and attention away from the CRT bikes! :lol:

Slowest bike today was a Kawasaki-engined CRT, 11.6 seconds away from Stoner's fastest time. Ezpeleta you fool!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:They're gonna need it too to take some of the heat and attention away from the CRT bikes! :lol:

Slowest bike today was a Kawasaki-engined CRT, 11.6 seconds away from Stoner's fastest time. Ezpeleta you fool!

Ironically in some respects, that is almost exactly the same distance that HRT were off the pace in the 2nd practise session at the 2010 Bahrain GP. To be fair, though, it seems that the other CRT prototype (the Suter-BMW that Edwards is riding) is a fair bit closer to the pace: OK Edwards is still 4.7s off the leaders pace, but his times are around 2.6s faster than the previous day when the leading riders have only improved by about 0.6-1s a lap, indicating that his improvement in form is not just down to better track conditions.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Last week, in an article on the MotoGP website, Edwards said the main problem with his bike was the electronics, which I take to mean it's not delivering the power or traction smoothly -
i.e. it's basically trying to spit him off every time he either accelerates or brakes/turns, so hopefully what he's got underneath him is good enough of a package to be able to be fine-tuned
into being at least competitive.

If, however the electronics package isn't really up to it then he's probably not going to get much closer. As Aprilia's efforts a few years ago in MotoGP proved, having a beast of a bike is
no good if the rider can't get it round the track. Perhaps a lot of his troubles are from the fact that he's been riding with Yamaha - who are well known for having the 'smoothest ride' out of
all the main manufacturers.

But I agree, the whole concept is just going to cause more whinging and moaning from the top riders when they lose time behind the ~let's be honest~ no hopers in qualifying or when lapping them.

EDIT : Just had to copy and paste this from the Wikipedia article on that Aprilia bike :

"The bike was not a success; Colin Edwards proclaimed the bike was "born bad," and it had "just so many things that need fixing." It had a tendency to wheelie easily, a lack of front-end feel, vibration from both the front and rear wheels, and unpredictable response from its fly-by-wire throttle system. Edwards' teammate in the 2003 Aprilia team, Noriyuki Haga, crashed the Cube 28 times in a single season".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

madmark1974 wrote:"The bike was not a success; Colin Edwards proclaimed the bike was "born bad," and it had "just so many things that need fixing." It had a tendency to wheelie easily, a lack of front-end feel, vibration from both the front and rear wheels, and unpredictable response from its fly-by-wire throttle system. Edwards' teammate in the 2003 Aprilia team, Noriyuki Haga, crashed the Cube 28 times in a single season".

Andrea de Cesaris, eat your heart out! :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:"The bike was not a success; Colin Edwards proclaimed the bike was "born bad," and it had "just so many things that need fixing." It had a tendency to wheelie easily, a lack of front-end feel, vibration from both the front and rear wheels, and unpredictable response from its fly-by-wire throttle system. Edwards' teammate in the 2003 Aprilia team, Noriyuki Haga, crashed the Cube 28 times in a single season".

Andrea de Cesaris, eat your heart out! :lol:

It's a pretty sorry situation if you're in contact with the tarmac more often than your tyres are...

Speaking of the recent test session, it looks like Hayden might not be completing many laps tomorrow as he is now experiencing increasing amounts of discomfort from his injured shoulder - he was already beginning to struggle to ride the bike as the session went on today, and he expects that tomorrow is likely to be similar, if not worse. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97256
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It looks that Colin Edwards is the best of the CRT in the end of the first three day test. Averaging 4-5secs off the pace... :(
Last edited by DanielPT on 02 Feb 2012, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DanielPT wrote:It looks that Carl Edwards

Oooh dear! :P

But I agree, if anyone can get the CRT bikes on the pace, then it'll be Colin, and he's clearly struggling, having made very little impact between the second and third days of the test. Hopefully they find some more pace out of the bike at the next test in 3 weeks, but it's asking a lot in my view.

On the flip side though, we're going to have ourselves a whole gaggle of 'MotoGP Rejects' this season! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
DanielPT wrote:It looks that Carl Edwards

Oooh dear! :P

Corrected... My mind clearly drifted to NASCAR when writing that post. Why? No clue...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Sorry to resurrect, but there's a similar fatality at WSBK.

RIP Oscar McIntyre 1994-2012. :cry: (Thanks DanielPT for his year of birth!)
Last edited by FMecha on 29 Feb 2012, 14:36, edited 2 times in total.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

FMecha wrote:Sorry to resurrect, but there's a similar fatality at WSBK.

RIP Oscar McIntyre 19??-2012. :cry: (I don't know his year of birth)

1994... Just a kid... RIP Oscar McIntyre. :(
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Only 17 years old... now that is disgraceful. RIP Oscar McIntyre. Sad to see 2012 is beginning in pretty much the same trend 2011 ended :(
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Good news for BBC viewers, all races shown live (though some are live on the red button only) and in HD when on BBC2 ...

It only seems to be Qatar, Assen and Germany that are not live on TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/17527423
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have decided to start watching MotoGP again next year due to all the CRT rejects.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

eurobrun wrote:I have decided to start watching MotoGP again next year due to all the CRT rejects.

That comes in a different light to me. They are only rejects because they were supplied material that is miles off the pace. No matter how they try it will suck for them and it is like having MotoGP2 racing at the same time as MotoGP. They've should made it 2 championships really. It is like costumer cars being brought back into F1 but any new teams could could chose from HRTs or GP2 cars...
RonDenisDeletraz

DanielPT wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I have decided to start watching MotoGP again next year due to all the CRT rejects.

That comes in a different light to me. They are only rejects because they were supplied material that is miles off the pace. No matter how they try it will suck for them and it is like having MotoGP2 racing at the same time as MotoGP. They've should made it 2 championships really. It is like costumer cars being brought back into F1 but any new teams could could chose from HRTs or GP2 cars...

Your 100% right, but it will still be amusing to watch.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

An unforeseen plus point of the F1/Sky fiasco (and my dad therefore finally deciding to get sky) is that once again I will be able to watch the MotoGP on Eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptI7jYlr9Q

We used to pick up Toby and Julian's commentary for free on Eurosport International (Freesat), but when the BBC bought the exclusive live rights the Eurosport MotoGP broadcast became delayed and only available on British Eurosport. I've had to spend the last couple of years watching it on the BBC and their coverage just isn't as good, especially Charlie Cox who I find insufferable, it might be coincidence but the racing doesn't seem to have been good these past couple of years, so I'm hoping for that to improve too.

Roll on MotoGP 2012!

Here are a couple of funny ads they made when they got the rights to the delayed broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmdCmYbYRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsX3-E3WW9o

P.S. Do they still have Randy Mamola in the pits? His contributions were also great.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Well, having finally gotten around to watching the race last night, I have to say that it was very enjoyable with good racing throughout the field - I won't spoil the result for anyone who is
yet to see it and still interested in doing so. And as for the 'reject' CRT bikes, I thought they did pretty well, as expected Colin Edwards was leading the (leisurely) 'charge' and seemed to
have a pretty lonely time - but as far as I know no-one was lapped, possibly because of the long lap time at Qatar, but not a bad effort from anyone really, not that they showed much of
the CRT 'action' except for Edwards and De Puniet.

I think in F1 if HRT or Marussia went unlapped for approx. 45 minutes they'd consider that a success ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

madmark1974 wrote:Well, having finally gotten around to watching the race last night, I have to say that it was very enjoyable with good racing throughout the field - I won't spoil the result for anyone who is
yet to see it and still interested in doing so. And as for the 'reject' CRT bikes, I thought they did pretty well, as expected Colin Edwards was leading the (leisurely) 'charge' and seemed to
have a pretty lonely time - but as far as I know no-one was lapped, possibly because of the long lap time at Qatar, but not a bad effort from anyone really, not that they showed much of
the CRT 'action' except for Edwards and De Puniet.

I think in F1 if HRT or Marussia went unlapped for approx. 45 minutes they'd consider that a success ...

Didn't Edwards come within like 3 seconds of beating Rossi on his hateful Ducati? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

I think it will be a close battle between Stoner and Lorenzo for the championship