The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
lance_rambert

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by lance_rambert »

East Londoner wrote:Junior's on the sidelines for another two races at least.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's forced to retire. If he's still suffering over a month after he was diagnosed, he should really think about calling it a day. The risks to his health are just not worth it, given what we know about concussions in the modern era. Do what Dario Franchitti did and get out whilst he still can. He could transition to a car owner very easily.

Now he's out for the rest of the year.

Yikes. :o
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

He needs to retire. He's over 40 already and another concussion could be deadly for him.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Apparently almost-reject Alex Caffi has the NASCAR bug because he made his debut this weekend with his own team in the Whelen Euro Series.
https://twitter.com/golic_2004/status/7 ... 6228585472
Last edited by golic_2004 on 18 Jan 2017, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Martin Truex Jr. wins again while Stewart, McMurray, Larson, and Chris Buescher fail to advance to the top 12.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... se-832694/

Bad luck with mechanical issues takes both Ganassi drivers out of The Chase.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... se-832698/
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Harvick wins at Kansas and secures a spot in the next round of 8. http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... in-839567/

As a fan of NASCAR and understanding the sport for 20+ years, I agree on that. http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... ry-839569/

With Talladega coming up, I would be worried about everyone in The Chase except for Harvick and Johnson (who won the first race of the round of 12 at Charlotte) based on the unpredictability of the track and the likelihood of the big one happening at any time.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

The Georgia Golden Boy (Elliott), and my ROTR for Kansas, is effectively in a must-win situation now. A combination of mechanical issues and good old Larson-esque overdriving results in his second crappy finish of the round of 12. Took long enough for the scrappy, sloppy side of Elliott to come out. At the best possible time, too. That drive of his, post-puncture, was approaching Verstappen-at-Spa awful to watch.

Now the other Hendrick drivers will have to babysit the #24 car at Talladega. Maybe they'll do a better job of doing that than the RCR stable would at babysitting Austin, if Menard's radio from Richmond is any indication. Then again, maybe Austin will wind up pleading for help from Pop Pop, again.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Joey Logano wins at Talladega after being penalized early in the race for taking a jack with him. :pantano: Yes the jack actually went the whole lap around the track underneath the car.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... se-842324/

Martin Truex Jr and Brad Keselowski both had engine failures which led both to be eliminated from The Chase, along with Austin Dillon and Chase Elliott.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Could this win mean a record-tying 7th championship for Jimmie Johnson? We shall find out at Homestead.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... in-845217/
Samster

Post by Samster »

Forget Tony Stewart's impending retirement, this is the big news of the 2017 silly season. :shock:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... eason.html

Certainly was not expecting that considering he is all of two years older than me. Who replaces him next season is anyone's guess.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... ly-864387/

Pulling the Nico Rosberg, Carl Edwards has announced his retirement from NASCAR effective immediately. :chilton: His replacement in the 19 will be Xfinity champion Daniel Suarez.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/carl-edwards-to-retire-from-nascar-racing-effective-immediately-864387/

Pulling the Nico Rosberg, Carl Edwards has announced his retirement from NASCAR effective immediately. :chilton: His replacement in the 19 will be Xfinity champion Daniel Suarez.

:shock: That's an even bigger shock than Rosberg's retirement for me!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Everyone's favourite chicken sponsored wrecking ball has also retired as John Wes Townley has decided to settle down and return to college having got engaged last year. I suspect his injuries from last season have also had something to do with it. Shame how his final season turned out as he finally seemed to turn a corner during 2015.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Via the press conference (replay here), it appears that Carl is not fully retiring, unlike Nico. He even goes as far to say he's not "using the r-word".

He opened up to the possibility of returning to JGR... if the stars align just right. Right now though, looks like he wants to be out of the race seat.

At least this now opens up a potentially big Rookie of the Year battle between Suarez and Jones in essentially the same equipment (Dillon won't be a threat, especially in the #13). Or the battle might flame out like Elliott/Blaney did...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Judging by the wording of his announcement, I fully expect to see Carl in the 2018 Daytona 500.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Judging by the wording of his announcement, I fully expect to see Carl in the 2018 Daytona 500.

Indeed, as the rumors are that he was forced out. He was the only Gibbs driver without a contract for 2018, and word is the 19's primary sponsor, being Mexico-based, wanted Suarez.

Better question is will there be a NASCAR at all in 2018 after the stupid points system announcement. Long story short, all the races (except Daytona) are now made up of three sprint races with points for each, plus overall aggregate points. Points now carry over into the Chase, which is no longer called the Chase. However, the stupid elimination format still applies. So a driver can enter the "not Chase" with a nearly insurmountable lead (which I'm ok with) but then have two bad or possibly even mediocre races and be out of the championship. Well, the second championship anyway. They are adding a regular season championship now too.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Judging by the wording of his announcement, I fully expect to see Carl in the 2018 Daytona 500.

Indeed, as the rumors are that he was forced out. He was the only Gibbs driver without a contract for 2018, and word is the 19's primary sponsor, being Mexico-based, wanted Suarez.

I don't think Carl was forced out. He was being paid $10 million a year, and should really have won the title last year. Even if Arris pushed extremely hard to get Edwards out, I highly doubt JGR would've listened, considering I'm pretty sure Toyota pushed hard for him to join them in the first place.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

No idea if its true or not, but the rumor just will not die. I personally don't care either way. I never liked Carl, so I'll enjoy this year without him.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Another day, another fight for Kyle Busch.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Junior is calling it a career at the end of this season.

You could probably have seen this coming after that concussion wrecked his 2016 season. Still, another big name retiring straight after Gordon, Smoke and Edwards is not ideal for NASCAR.

Alex Bowman in the #88 full time next year though? Yes pls. :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:Junior is calling it a career at the end of this season.

You could probably have seen this coming after that concussion wrecked his 2016 season. Still, another big name retiring straight after Gordon, Smoke and Edwards is not ideal for NASCAR.

For the best given how awfully his season has gone so far. I just hope Hendrick aren't douches and rush Will Byron into the seat instead of Bowman.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Samster wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Junior is calling it a career at the end of this season.

For the best given how awfully his season has gone so far. I just hope Hendrick aren't douches and rush Will Byron into the seat instead of Bowman.

Agreed. As much as I like Byron, I'm not a fan of rushing kids into Cup series and would much rather see Hendrick keep him in the Xfinity series for another season (much like certain Chase Elliott ;) ) and replace Kasey Kahne in 2019 when his contract is up. Never been a fan of Kahne and after a couple of very disappointing seasons I can't see him getting a new contract.

Bowman of course is a worthy candidate for the #88 but who I'd really like in that ride is a former Roush and Joe Gibbs driver :vergne:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

In defense of Kahne, he's performed better this year than any point for the last 2-3 years. They just need to finish races.
Everything's great.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Bowman most likely going to the 88 at the end of the season, Had a few good runs last year, according to speculation, Bowman will be the best choice for the 88.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Today sees the retirement of a well-worn GPR NASCAR meme.

Goodbye Spedhouse. Hello Speedhouse.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ricky Stenhouse Jr, take a bow.

Epic final stage at 'Dega, thankfully nobody seemed to be injured in that mahoosive pileup.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

SPEDHOUSE, YOU BEAUTY!!!

This deserves a Pinty's car.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Classic Russler.

Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Was really pulling for McMurray. Guy had brass ones making that last move. I also don't get all the Kyle Busch hate, but then again I root for Johnson, so that automatically makes me public enemy #1 to 90% of NASCAR fans.

Great run by Ricky. He actually has been fairly competitive all year (Ditto Bayne as well to an extent). Rousch cars are gonna breakthrough this year no doubt. Although I thought I was watching a circa-2005 Indycar race with how the Fox crew fawn over Danica in Victory Lane for the first 6 or 7 minutes or so, before actually interviewing the winner.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Wallio wrote:I also don't get all the Kyle Busch hate...

Well, he said Dega isn't a "real race track" after losing the victory.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Wallio wrote:I also don't get all the Kyle Busch hate...

Well, he said Dega isn't a "real race track" after losing the victory.

Well he's not wrong......

Samster

Post by Samster »

The 2018 schedule has been released. The good news is that there is finally a road course in the playoffs. The bad news is that instead of a proper road course, its a crappy 'roval' track at Charlotte, replacing the fall race on the oval. :facepalm:

Also Las Vegas gets a fall race as the playoffs opener with Indy moving to the final regular season race.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Samster wrote:The 2018 schedule has been released. The good news is that there is finally a road course in the playoffs. The bad news is that instead of a proper road course, its a crappy 'roval' track at Charlotte, replacing the fall race on the oval. :facepalm:

Also Las Vegas gets a fall race as the playoffs opener with Indy moving to the final regular season race.

Should have made Indy the Roval.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
Samster wrote:The 2018 schedule has been released. The good news is that there is finally a road course in the playoffs. The bad news is that instead of a proper road course, its a crappy 'roval' track at Charlotte, replacing the fall race on the oval. :facepalm:

Should have made Brands Hatch the roval. Oh wait, that's EuroNASCAR...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Be fair, the Charlotte road course doesn't look terrible, and let's be honest - it's not like the oval race it's replacing is much good either. Indy would've been preferable, but NASCAR still wants to sell that race as being a crown jewel, so running the road course is most likely to be a last resort for them (and likely will happen once the restrictor plate experiment inevitably fails).
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:

I would pay stupid money to see Cup cars at Brands. I used to the like the "Thunder" exhibitions at Suzuka years ago.

lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

For the first time since the October 2000 Talladega race, the #3 Richard Childress car is back in victory lane @ Charlotte, wheeled by none other than Austin Dillon :o. Both Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr. were denied the win after RCR pulled another fortunate strategy out of the hat.

Currently, RCR has two wins in the bag this season to Joe Gibbs Racing's zero (not counting Furniture Row's two), who had six wins at this point last season. That definitely sounds like team Reject of the Year material, unless JGR find some upturn in form later.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

lance_rambert wrote:For the first time since the October 2000 Talladega race, the #3 Richard Childress car is back in victory lane @ Charlotte, wheeled by none other than Austin Dillon :o. Both Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr. were denied the win after RCR pulled another superb strategy out of the hat.

Fixed that for you ;)

RCR is doing really good job this year. They can't fight for the wins on pure speed so they have to outsmart other teams and have been excellent on it so far. One time might be luck but winning two times with similar strategy requires more than just luck.

Dillon is by far not my favourite driver but it's always great to have new winners. I'm pretty sure he and Ricky won't be the only first-time winners this season.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Bobby Labonte to race at Brands Hatch for Alex Caffi

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-euro/ ... ch-912709/
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:

I would pay stupid money to see Cup cars at Brands. I used to the like the "Thunder" exhibitions at Suzuka years ago.

Bring back the Calder Park Thunderdrome I say.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.