The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by dr-baker »

Bobby Labonte is now a EuroNASCAR Reject!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

This year is the Stenhouse year. Unbelievable result. Top 10 full of underdogs (bar Danica) at Daytona.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

East Londoner wrote:Alex Bowman in the #88 full time next year though? Yes pls. :dance:

The folks at Hendrick have the real answer. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Samster

Post by Samster »

lance_rambert wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Alex Bowman in the #88 full time next year though? Yes pls. :dance:

The folks at Hendrick have the real answer. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Justice prevails. :D The recent Kenseth rumours had me worried especially since Erik Jones was confirmed in the #20.
Samster

Post by Samster »

One possibility would be for Cup drivers to be limited to five Xfinity races only regardless of their experience level, which could be a significant cut for some drivers.

Yes please. :)

http://www.espn.co.uk/jayski/nxs/2017/s ... ity-series
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Justin Allgaier easily takes ROTR of the Xfinity Indianapolis race for being the main cause of, frankly, the most god-awful, bathplugged up disaster of a pit stop I've ever seen. :facepalm:

Oh, and the restrictor plate + front bumper aero mod package did its job of producing a much relatively better race than those previous.
Samster

Post by Samster »

lance_rambert wrote:Justin Allgaier easily takes ROTR of the Xfinity Indianapolis race for being the main cause of, frankly, the most god-awful, bathplugged up disaster of a pit stop I've ever seen. :facepalm:

Oh, and the restrictor plate + front bumper aero mod package did its job of producing a much relatively better race than those previous.

Think the Cup guys have just outdone Allgaier's scrub gang. The end of this race is pure ARCA. What was Johnson thinking trying to go for the lead with a smoking engine did he really think that would end well? :facepalm: And just now McDowell managed to cause a pile up on the restart before they even cross the line. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

I don't know any other way to put this, but...

Kasey Kahne finally won a race!

...although race control decided to be goits again, by waiting until Kahne crossed the overtime line to throw the race-ending caution despite a wreck being triggered far enough back to warrant doing so. :facepalm:

Xfinity race control annoyingly did the same thing @ Daytona. Seriously, NASCAR, just toss the bathplug rule if you're not even going to utilize it properly.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Samster wrote:[

Think the Cup guys have just outdone Allgaier's scrub gang. The end of this race is pure ARCA. What was Johnson thinking trying to go for the lead with a smoking engine did he really think that would end well? :facepalm: And just now Kahne causes a massive pileup by not acceratering at all during a restart.. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

FTFY.

Oh well, NASCAR gifted him that one. Massive wreck on the backstretch, wait util one sec AFTER they cross the overtime line to throw the flag. Lame. I know Indy has no lights but come on! Oh well, they show Kenseth his new seat is a decent ride anyway. Also, holy shite, did anyone know there was a race on? Attendance was what? 40k? Maybe? At a track that holds 300k!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Samster

Post by Samster »

Wallio wrote:

Think the Cup guys have just outdone Allgaier's scrub gang. The end of this race is pure ARCA. What was Johnson thinking trying to go for the lead with a smoking engine did he really think that would end well? :facepalm: And just now Kahne causes a massive pileup by not acceratering at all during a restart.. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

FTFY.

Oh well, NASCAR gifted him that one. Massive wreck on the backstretch, wait util one sec AFTER they cross the overtime line to throw the flag. Lame. I know Indy has no lights but come on! Oh well, they show Kenseth his new seat is a decent ride anyway. Also, holy shite, did anyone know there was a race on? Attendance was what? 40k? Maybe? At a track that holds 300k!

Can't say I blame them honestly. Probably got sick of the amount of times they were wrecking. :facepalm:
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wallio wrote:

FTFY.

No. He was still in the restarting zone and the other drivers shouldn't accelerate before the leader does or the green flag waves. Kahne had the right to wait and McDowell et al. should respect that right.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The rule states you can go to the second line, yes. But on a restart at the end of the race, at a track as hard to pass at as Indy, anyone with a lick of common sense, so not KK, knows people are going to go. There was about 26 cars left at that point and all of them BUT the leader decided to go. Good luck penalizing the whole field.

In other news Penske is expanding to three cars as Blaney moves over next year. Menard has bought the Wood Bros. seat (which mean the prettiest car on tour will now run the ghastly Menards colors) opening the RCR seat for Ty Dillion, opening the 13 for Kahne once Kenseth moves to the 5. Follow all that? lol

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wallio wrote:The rule states you can go to the second line, yes. But on a restart at the end of the race, at a track as hard to pass at as Indy, anyone with a lick of common sense, so not KK, knows people are going to go. There was about 26 cars left at that point and all of them BUT the leader decided to go. Good luck penalizing the whole field.

Nowhere did I say anyone should be penalised. I just feel it's unfair to blame Kahne for that pile-up when he did nothing wrong. Perhaps his team were thinking such a crash could happen and waited until the last moment to restart on purpose? After all, Kahne would have been (and was) the main benefitor of that as long as he wasn't involved.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CarloSpace wrote:Nowhere did I say anyone should be penalised. I just feel it's unfair to blame Kahne for that pile-up when he did nothing wrong. Perhaps his team were thinking such a crash could happen and waited until the last moment to restart on purpose? After all, Kahne would have been (and was) the main benefitor of that as long as he wasn't involved.

I dunno, to me he HAD to know everyone would start pushing right at the first line, thus he caused the crash. Just like on a Saturday night dirt track. Honestly he's lucky it did work out for him, he got tagged hard enough I'm surprised he didn't go around.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So it seems all hell has broken loose at SHR.

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rumor is a two car team next year with Bowyer and Mr. Delana.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I can't see SHR downsizing by half at all, especially not with the support they get from Ford.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

SHR downsize to three cars? Plausible.
SHR downsize to two cars? Not gonna happen.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

While I personally don't believe it, NBC, FOX, and ESPN have all mentioned it, although its only a "rumor". Its a bit more plausible than we might think though. The Ford money isn't that much, they get less than Roush in fact. (Woods bros. get more too, if you count the Quicklane money)

Harvick and Bowyer have primary sponsors. (Busch/JJ and Mobil 1)

Kurt had only Haas and Monster, Gene is no doubt looking to cut back, especially since he's funding his F1 team nearly solo. Monster has the option to extend their sponsorship of the whole series by two years to 2020 (an option they need to exercise by September 1, IIRC) why sponsor a car when you can sponsor the whole series?

Danica is interesting in that she used to bankroll the other cars, but now she doesn't have a primary sponsor, at least not one to actually foot the bills (all of this years crash damage certainly doesn't help). Danica was supposedly on the way out anyway. The rumor was that Kasey Kahne would take over the 10. Well his two primary sponsors are out. Farmers is done period, and Red Bull is blocked by Monster.

When NASCAR announced the changes to Busch driver rules last week, it came out that a Busch, errr Nationwide, err wtf do they call it now? car costs $140K a race to run. A Cup car must be more, so if we figure its $180-200k a race I can easily see a situation where they're a two car team.

Danica is out, and Kahne cant come in, so that's the 10 gone. If Monster re-upps and drops Kurt, why wouldn't Gene move his Haas money to the few remaining races Bowyer doesn't have a sponsor? That way you have two strong cars with all sponsor races filled.

Do I think it will happen? No, I imagine they'll still be a three car team. But can I see it happening? Absolutely.

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

If this is not Race of the Year so far then it's in the top 3, maybe top 2
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/ne ... ca-946115/

Well done Jeremy Clements and his family-owned team in a chassis that was built in 2008. :chilton:
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Samster

Post by Samster »

golic_2004 wrote:If this is not Race of the Year so far then it's in the top 3, maybe top 2
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/ne ... ca-946115/

Well done Jeremy Clements and his family-owned team in a chassis that was built in 2008. :chilton:

If Clements' cars are that old it makes me wonder what geriatric junk Mike Harmon is running. :P

Good to see two surprise new winners this weekend in Clements and James Cole in the BTCC. :D Shows what can happen when you take Cup drivers out of the series.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Just when you thought NASCAR couldn't be any bigger a joke, this happened at Richmond last night. Beggars belief. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Its official, Danica out at SHR. She posted it on her Facebook, and confirmed by NASCAR.com. No word on if she has a ride for next year or if the 10 will be parked.

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wallio wrote:Its official, Danica out at SHR. She posted it on her Facebook, and confirmed by NASCAR.com. No word on if she has a ride for next year or if the 10 will be parked.

Sounds like they are making space for Almirola & Smithfield and probably going down to three cars next season as Kurt Busch is still without contract (and sponsors) too.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CarloSpace wrote:
Wallio wrote:Its official, Danica out at SHR. She posted it on her Facebook, and confirmed by NASCAR.com. No word on if she has a ride for next year or if the 10 will be parked.

Sounds like they are making space for Almirola & Smithfield and probably going down to three cars next season as Kurt Busch is still without contract (and sponsors) too.

SHR has said they intend to resign Kurt Busch and remain at 4 cars. Likely they're just trying to bargain him down on money.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

It does seem that Aric and Smithfield will be SOMEWHERE next year, after the CEO blasting Petty and stating that they aren't leaving NASCAR, just a bad team!

SHR makes sense, since Penske is full and Woods Bros won't expand, and Roush is terrible.

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

It's already announced that Smithfield will join SHR: http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/20656963/smithfield-moves-stewart-haas-racing

No word on driver however but I'd be very surprised if it's anyone but Almirola.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So that's another domino down then. So next years field looks like so:

Hendrick: 4 Cars
SHR: 3 Cars (Possibly 4)
Penske: 3 Cars
Roush: 2 Cars
Woods Brothers: 1 Car
Furniture Row: 1 Car (Possibly 2 but Doubtful)
RPM: See Above
Joe Gibbs: 3 Cars
Richard Childress: 2 Cars (Possibly 3: Announced the 27 would remain in July, but has been silent since)
Front Row: 3 Cars!
Ganassi: 2 Cars
BK Racing: 1 Car (Possibly 2, but Doubtful thanks to the tax liens)
Germaine Racing: 1 Car

So 27 Confirmed entries from fully funded teams, with 32 entries possible (and 29 likely). That leaves 8-13 spots for part timers and field fillers. Its a double edged sword, the charters and "5-minute rule" have eliminated the Start-and-Parkers, but they also has kept the series from fielding full grids, even at a reduced number.

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wallio wrote:Hendrick: 4 Cars
SHR: 3 Cars (Possibly 4)
Penske: 3 Cars
Roush: 2 Cars
Woods Brothers: 1 Car
Furniture Row: 1 Car (Possibly 2 but Doubtful)
RPM: See Above
Joe Gibbs: 3 Cars
Richard Childress: 2 Cars (Possibly 3: Announced the 27 would remain in July, but has been silent since)
Front Row: 3 Cars!
Ganassi: 2 Cars
BK Racing: 1 Car (Possibly 2, but Doubtful thanks to the tax liens)
Germaine Racing: 1 Car

Add to the list at least #32 Go Fas Racing (DiBenedetto confirmed), #95 LFR and 2 cars for JTG Daugherty and it isn't looking that bad, although not very promising either. GMS Racing is also looking to "graduate" to Cup series from NXS with a full-time car. I've also understood that Front Row will probably stay as a two car team since attracting sponsors for three entries is difficult (ask anyone but Penske and Gibbs... :D )
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Uhhh, JGR is a 4-car team...
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:Uhhh, JGR is a 4-car team...

Correct, I forgot they moved Jones to the 20. I keep thinking they shuttered it next year for some reason.

CarloSpace wrote:I've also understood that Front Row will probably stay as a two car team since attracting sponsors for three entries is difficult (ask anyone but Penske and Gibbs... :D )

I've seen nothing either way on them, but they did buy one of BK Charters for 2018 so they have three. They haven't leased or sold it yet that I have seen.

Furniture Row has announced that they have sold the charter for the 77 for 2018, but not to whom yet. So they are confirmed as one car for next year.

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Kasey Kahne signs with Levine Family Racing, so welcome to mid 30s in finishing order. Rumor is Hendrick is paying his salary since he technically is under contract still for 2018.

A lawsuit filing shows that Farmers was paying $660,000 per race to sponsor KK. Plus six figure bonuses for winning races. Makes you wonder what Lowe's puts out.

andrew

Post by andrew »

I've been trying to follow NASCAR this year, however looking at the points system the question that arises is why so complicated? We have stages and playoff points and eliminations. It's all rather difficult to follow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

andrew wrote:I've been trying to follow NASCAR this year, however looking at the points system the question that arises is why so complicated? We have stages and playoff points and eliminations. It's all rather difficult to follow.

It's a bit over-the-top, but it works. Every other sport works on a knock-out basis, and NASCAR is able to make that work through placing greater value on victories. It's curious that it's not afraid to try completely wacky solutions, although NASCAR has a steep history it's not beholden by it.

I've enjoyed the stage format, it kinda adds another level to the strategy calls that teams make.

Adds some nice variation to every other series, no?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:
andrew wrote:I've been trying to follow NASCAR this year, however looking at the points system the question that arises is why so complicated? We have stages and playoff points and eliminations. It's all rather difficult to follow.

It's a bit over-the-top, but it works. Every other sport works on a knock-out basis, and NASCAR is able to make that work through placing greater value on victories. It's curious that it's not afraid to try completely wacky solutions, although NASCAR has a steep history it's not beholden by it.

I've enjoyed the stage format, it kinda adds another level to the strategy calls that teams make.

Adds some nice variation to every other series, no?

Its not terrible, it certainly beats the original pre-knockout Chase, which really only made teams try for 10 races. That being said, its still not a true season championship IMO, although adding "the regular season title" that Truex won helps some.

The trouble was NASCAR thought that their old-season long points lead to boring seasons (cough) KENSETH (cough) but they incorrectly thought it was due to it being season long. It actually had to due with their frighteningly complex points system which rewarded consistency over winning. Consecutive top 5s and top 10s were very important. It was not common for a few drivers to score more points than the winner, and the top 5 of the season usually had several thousand points. If they kept the season long championship but went to a sane system, like they have now, it wouldn't be bad.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Man, bathplug Austin Dillon.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

tommykl wrote:Man, bathplug Austin Dillon.

This, a hundred times over. What an absolute punk move, and you just know NASCAR are going to milk this for all they can given it's 20 years since the #3 won the 500, and 17 years to the day Sr passed away.

Oh well, I'll happily take Bubba finishing 2nd. :dance:
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

East Londoner wrote:
tommykl wrote:Man, bathplug Austin Dillon.

This, a hundred times over. What an absolute punk move, and you just know NASCAR are going to milk this for all they can given it's 20 years since the #3 won the 500, and 17 years to the day Sr passed away.

Oh well, I'll happily take Bubba finishing 2nd. :dance:

True indeed. To me, the rules seem very inconsistent. Penalise someone an entire lap for fitting their tyres 6 inches out of the box, but let guys win by shunting the opposition off the track on the back straight. What's more dangerous? At least Chase Elliott got what he deserved, and did own up to driving like a **** as well.

One other thing I noticed, was a lot of coverage of what I will refer to as 'grid girls', both before and after the race, and even before some ad breaks. It just stuck out to me, what with the current situation in F1.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I think it's easy to say that Austin Dillon punted Aric Almirola out of the lead on the last lap but I see it differently from the replays. Almirola was by himself leading when he saw that the top draft was the way to go with Dillon leading his group. He just couldn't get as fast as Dillon and got tapped from behind.
From what Almirola mentioned in the interview, it seems he didn't blame Dillon for what he did and feels confident that he can finish better in Atlanta.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF