The Marcus Grönholm Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
apple2009

Re: The World Rally Championship thread

Post by apple2009 »

If anyone is interested I plan on making a WRC series over in the Perry McCarthy Memorial Forum using xkorinate. :)
ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

Here's a WRC fact that'll shock you all;

A woman was the first ever co-driver to win a WRC race. :shock:

Yes, it's true! Michele Espinosi-Petit, or "Biche" as she is most commonly known, won the 1973 Monte Carlo Rally, the inaugural WRC event, with Jean-Claude Andruet at the wheel of the Alpine-Renault A110 180. Soon-to-be F1 team principals Ove Andersson and Jean Todt were second in an Alpine-Renault 1-2-3.
The first male co-driver to win a race was Arne Hertz who won the very next race, the International Swedish Rally, with Stig Blomqvist the driver of the winning Saab 96 V4.

I myself was surprised when I found that out. Check the results at http://www.rallybase.nl/index.php?type=result&rallyid=376. It's not every day that you see women accomplish history in a male-dominated sport.
Last edited by ryangregg12345 on 05 Oct 2013, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

ryangregg12345 wrote:Here's a WRC fact that'll shock you all;

Yes, it's true! Michele Espinosi-Petit, or "Biche" as she is most commonly known, won the 1973 Monte Carlo Rally, the inaugural WRC event, with Jean-Claude Andruet at the wheel of the Alpine-Renault A110 180. Soon-to-be F1 team principals Ove Andersson and Jean Todt were second in an Alpine-Renault 1-2-3.
The first male co-driver to win a race was Arne Hertz who won the very next race, the International Swedish Rally, with Stig Blomqvist the driver of the winning Saab 96 V4.

I myself was surprised when I found that out. Check the results at http://www.rallybase.nl/index.php?type=result&rallyid=376.

The WRC did have some good female co-drivers recently like Tina Thorner who came 2nd in the Swedish rally in 2001 alongside Thomas Radstrom while Ilka Minor scored a few podiums alongside Manfred Stohl
ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
ryangregg12345 wrote:Here's a WRC fact that'll shock you all;

I myself was surprised when I found that out. Check the results at http://www.rallybase.nl/index.php?type=result&rallyid=376.

The WRC did have some good female co-drivers recently like Tina Thorner who came 2nd in the Swedish rally in 2001 alongside Thomas Radstrom while Ilka Minor scored a few podiums alongside Manfred Stohl

In fact there were TWO female co-drivers on the podium at the ERC Croatia Rally last week;
1. Jan Kopecky - Pavel Dresler
2. Andreas Aigner - Barbara Watzl
3. Hermann Gassner - Ursula Mayrhofer
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Loeb's swansong rally has come to an end... upside down in a ditch.

Oh dear :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Wizzie wrote:Loeb's swansong rally has come to an end... upside down in a ditch.

Didn't Michael Schumacher's comeback tell him anything?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Having watched old WRC rallies When Harri Rovanpera used to be interviewed I immediately thought of Nick Heidfeld
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

watka wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Loeb's swansong rally has come to an end... upside down in a ditch.

Didn't Michael Schumacher's comeback tell him anything?

At least Loeb had the decency to win a rally in his final year :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I don't really see how that's amusing. :|
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Vettel may have won the WDC again this weekend, but something far more incredible happened...

BOBBY K'S A WORLD CHAMPION! :mrgreen:

Granted it's only WRC-2, but it's still something. Kubica for the 2014 WRC Championship! :mrgreen:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:Vettel may have won the WDC again this weekend, but something far more incredible happened...

BOBBY K'S A WORLD CHAMPION! :mrgreen:

Granted it's only WRC-2, but it's still something. Kubica for the 2014 WRC Championship! :mrgreen:

YES!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Goddamn it Bobby K, when you're given a works Citroen drive for a rally, the correct response is NOT to crash the car twice in two days :|
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Wizzie wrote:Goddamn it Bobby K, when you're given a works Citroen drive for a rally, the correct response is NOT to crash the car twice in two days :|

Still it does bring back a bit of Colin McRae style driving as everyone loves a trier
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This is the first rally I have taken an interest in since this year's Monte. Partly due to Kubica, and also due to the fact that I discovered televised highlights!

So it's Wales Rally GB. Day 1 I watched on British TV in the national language of English (ITV4). Day 2 I watched on Welsh TV in Welsh because I couldn't find/missed ITV's coverage. So two days and two different national broadcasters in two different languages. Is S4C a foreign channel? I'm not Welsh and have never lived there, yet they are as British as I am...

S4C seemed to focus a lot more on the national drivers (Elfyn Evans, Mark Higgins, Tom Cave...) compared to ITV4, particularly as the first two are currently in the top-10 overall and top-3 of WRC2. ITV4 seem to focus more on the WRC runners, and particularly the leaders. Personally, I prefer the S4C approach. Is this approach normal or just because it's the home round? If only I could understand Welsh...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

dr-baker wrote:Is S4C a foreign channel?

No.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Shizuka wrote:

No.

I forgot sarcasm didn't work on the internet. S4C is a Welsh TV channel, broadcast in Welsh, from the country/principality of Wales. I am in the country of England and speak English/ Different country, different language. ;) Yet the countries of England and Wales are the same country!!! Still, well done to the Manxman, Mark Higgins, a 10th place overall and 3rd in WRC2 - from the Isle of Man, which is outside the EU, yet still get British passports!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

No.

I forgot sarcasm didn't work on the internet. S4C is a Welsh TV channel, broadcast in Welsh, from the country/principality of Wales. I am in the country of England and speak English/ Different country, different language. ;) Yet the countries of England and Wales are the same country!!! Still, well done to the Manxman, Mark Higgins, a 10th place overall and 3rd in WRC2 - from the Isle of Man, which is outside the EU, yet still get British passports!

I never understood S4C either. When you stay in a premier Inn in Wales S4C is number 4 and Channel 4 is number 8
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

dr-baker wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

No.

I forgot sarcasm didn't work on the internet.

Oh, it was a sarcastic question? Sorry then :oops: ;)

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Shizuka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Shizuka wrote: No.

I forgot sarcasm didn't work on the internet.

Oh, it was a sarcastic question? Sorry then :oops: ;)

Apology accepted! :D
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Watched a bit of Wales this morning just to see Kubica. He crashed, bless him.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Damn, looks like Atko will miss out on a Hyundai drive
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Duval could go back to Citroen

He quit rally because he stopped caring. So he went to rallycross, and quit just as fast. If anybody really thinks this is a good decision in the long term (more than 1 season), they're gone absolutely mad :roll:
This guy got plenty of talent, but his attitude has always been the problem. Hence why not many co-drivers were willing to work with him after a while.

That would really show that WRC is in a bad state.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This wrote:

He quit rally because he stopped caring. So he went to rallycross, and quit just as fast. If anybody really thinks this is a good decision in the long term (more than 1 season), they're gone absolutely mad :roll:
This guy got plenty of talent, but his attitude has always been the problem. Hence why not many co-drivers were willing to work with him after a while.

As i said Duval turned down a 4 year extension to his deal at Ford for 1 year at Citroen as if he wanted short term success instead of long term legacy and we all know how 2005 went. Prevot left him after he barbecued his car at Cyprus and Loeb beat him 10-1 in victories 13-4 in podiums and 127-47 in points. I think he was the most DBTM of all of Loeb's team-mates after Xavier Pons
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
This wrote:

As i said Duval turned down a 4 year extension to his deal at Ford for 1 year at Citroen as if he wanted short term success instead of long term legacy and we all know how 2005 went. Prevot left him after he barbecued his car at Cyprus and Loeb beat him 10-1 in victories 13-4 in podiums and 127-47 in points. I think he was the most DBTM of all of Loeb's team-mates after Xavier Pons

He also did turn down a works drive for Proton in IRC when his career was already finished. Sure, Proton wasn't exactly world class, but by then, nobody really believed in Duval anymore, even Belgian privateers got enough of him. It's a guy that had the raw talent to actually beat Loeb, he just didn't have the mind to do so.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I'd rather give Bobby K that car. He deserves it much more.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Wilson scotched talk that Kubica might struggle in the WRC's top class.

That's bull shite. Everyone makes mistakes.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Kubica is ten times the rally driver Raikkonen is. He is devastatingly quick. He has the raw speed to match Ogier, to beat everyone else. He needs a full programme for a year to get his feet on the ground, but in 2015, he can be WRC Champion, if he stays at his team (a good team) and has stability in his contract.

Citroen should offer him a full-time drive. And he should take it. He can be their new team leader. M Sport has no manufacturer backing. Citroen is the best option, as long as they offer him the same type of contract that M-Sport are. Matthew Wilson knows Kubica is his team's best chance to stay competitive, Citroen would be dumb not to try and lock him down to a full-time multi-year contract so as to guarantee his future away from a rival.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ostberg? Srsly Citroen, srsly? I mean, Ostberg's quick, but is he a consistent rally winner? I don't think so. Same for Meeke really. In fact, with that pair and Al-Qassimmi, this is one of the worst Citroen line-ups possibly ever. Ogier will devour those three single-handedly, and if M-Sport do end up with Hirvonen and Kubica, I wouldn't bet against Citroen dropping to third.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I hope that Hyundai give Neuville a decent car as he looks like he could be Ogier's main rival for years to come.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:I hope that Hyundai give Neuville a decent car as he looks like he could be Ogier's main rival for years to come.

I think Neuville should have been in a Citroen. Ostberg and Meeke aren't good enough from what I've seen. Mikkelsen would have been better, I think. And it is true that people learn and all but I still cringe whenever I'm recalled of the previous Hyundai foray into WRC.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So Citroen passes on the opportunity to make Kubica team leader.

What are you doing Yves Matton? Letting Ogier leave by making him number two, passing on Kubica...this is crazy. I don't see this happening if Guy Fréquelin or Olivier Quesnel is still in charge.

But, at least they didn't resort to hiring Duval. Now that would have been desperate...

I have to agree with Neuville's decision to go to Hyundai instead of Citroen. They didn't put faith in him to fill the void left by Loeb and Ogier. Now he's going to make them pay, and have a team built around him. It's the best way for him to challenge Ogier, to have the full (almost) unconditional backing of a manufacturer. VW did it for Ogier, and it did wonders for his confidence. I remember him being a bit nervous at times while at Citroen, but it's all gone now. I think Neuville will benefit in the same way.

Image Image
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Suuuure, because not taking up Kubica is apparently a good idea. Matton will regret this.

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

What is Matton thinking?

So if this Malcolm guy is smart he provides cars to Hirvonen and Kubica next year.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Benetton wrote:So if this Malcolm guy is smart he provides cars to Hirvonen and Kubica next year.

And he's done just that..
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Look, Hirvonen is garbage at the moment, but he's not so bad as a Number 2. When his confidence is up, he will be on the podium in gravel events. Maybe being back at M-Sport will help him get his mind back on track.

Kubica though...if M-Sport can hold on to him, despite not having any works backing anymore, can still be world champion. He is the only massive new talent in the sport. He is the only person to have burst onto the world stage in the last few years and really make a statement about their speed and talent. When he didn't make a mistake, Kubica destroyed everyone in sight in WRC2. Ogier-VW will be an extremely difficult combination to beat, but I feel, after a season of ironing out the rookie problems, Kubica will take him all the way in 2015.

Image Image
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Kubica only needs support from M-Sport and confidence to gain through 2014. If both things come at his way, he'll be there in 2015.