James Allen vs. The Australians

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
fjackdaw

Re: James Allen vs. The Australians

Post by fjackdaw »

Valrys wrote:
kostas22 wrote:
For some strange reason I still miss Jim Rosenthal and Tony Jardine.

You're not the only one, I still reckon they were the were, if not the best, the most non-irritating. Of course, rose tinted spectales and all that

I found Jim a bit irritating, but probably would go down quite well now considering who we've had since. Tony Jardine was the guvnor, my absolute favourite F1 pundit (barring Murray of course).
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

fjackdaw wrote:
Valrys wrote:
kostas22 wrote:
For some strange reason I still miss Jim Rosenthal and Tony Jardine.

You're not the only one, I still reckon they were the were, if not the best, the most non-irritating. Of course, rose tinted spectales and all that

I found Jim a bit irritating, but probably would go down quite well now considering who we've had since. Tony Jardine was the guvnor, my absolute favourite F1 pundit (barring Murray of course).

The reason I probably liked them the most, is because I didn't really start watching F1 properly until 1998, when of course ITV had taken over. And yea, Rosentahl was better than Steve Ryder or Jake Humphrey.
But TJ was brilliant anyway.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Tony Jardine just had a brilliant voice! Although my brother was convinced he looked like a gardener. But then, my brother can only have been about 4 or 5 at the time.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Warren Hughes wrote:Tony Jardine just had a brilliant voice! Although my brother was convinced he looked like a gardener. But then, my brother can only have been about 4 or 5 at the time.

Maybe your 5-year-old brother is just innately skilled in linguistics, since Tony's name presumably translates as Tony Garden.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jesus Carpenter, the Aussie F1 commentators sound almost as bad as ESPN's broadcasts of NASCAR(Hooray for commentary owned by Disney)!

It's kind of funny, though. The US broadcasting team for F1 is superb (they didn't give Scott Speed special attention -- then again, who would?) and they're knowledgeable. The problem is that F1 fans in the US are a bit hard to come by.

Judging by this logic, if there's a different commentary team for NASCAR outside the US (in English speaking countries), it's better than the US commentary team. Well, the French commentary for NASCAR is way less dry and boring, even if they're easily excited... I don't speak French, sadly, or I'd watch that if at all possible. ;[
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Winterspring

Post by Winterspring »

I don't have any problems with Greg Rust and Cam. I have just don't listen word from word and just watch them. At least we know that Cam can race and maybe bring back Alan Jones but I don't mind them so much, I had just like zoned them out I think.

I wish they did go overseas more and have their own gridwalks or more segments like that Button one in Singapore or at least show Brundle's grid walks. At least we are getting it live except in Brazil where they are showing as a delayed telecast at 6:00 am Monday mourning which is decent enough I guess.
Whis

Post by Whis »

haha, by criticizing you deserve the RAI commentators.

the lead commentator probably has a share on Ferrari, because he's so much biased that's nearly painful to listen... but hey, we've got IVAN CAPELLI as color commentator! (and Jean Alesi in the pre and post show!)

they're so Ferrari-biased that for example i remember when Trulli won in Monaco years ago they continued talking ONLY about the Schumacher collision with Montoya... not about the fact that an italian driver won in Monaco after about 20 years...

and SKY's coverage isn't much better, IMHO.

so, my only hope is to buy a bigger dish and catch BBC coverage on Sat ;)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Uh-oh. It appears Allen's twin a.k.a Ted Kravitz has also caught Hamilton-itus. He kept raving on about how the McLaren was the best car in the field by miles and how Hamilton would absolutely be on Pole Position.
I suggest a bloody coup to remove him from the BBC, and bring back Tony Jardine in his place.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:Uh-oh. It appears Allen's twin a.k.a Ted Kravitz has also caught Hamilton-itus. He kept raving on about how the McLaren was the best car in the field by miles and how Hamilton would absolutely be on Pole Position.

Well, that's an epic fail on his part.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

kostas22 wrote:Uh-oh. It appears Allen's twin a.k.a Ted Kravitz has also caught Hamilton-itus. He kept raving on about how the McLaren was the best car in the field by miles and how Hamilton would absolutely be on Pole Position.
I suggest a bloody coup to remove him from the BBC, and bring back Tony Jardine in his place.

To be fair, though, if the McLaren is the best car in the field (and it has been recently), it's most likely to be Hamilton doing the business.