Friday drivers

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Yannick

Friday drivers

Post by Yannick »

For a few seasons in the early 2000s, at a time when the grid decreased from 26 cars to what we have now, teams were allowed to run a 3rd car for their reserve driver, which for some teams, became occupied with a varying list of pay drivers. Now these guys never had a chance to qualify for the race, unless they accidentally were getting a race start by surprise, but they appeared in the Friday practise sessions of a GP weekend. Does that qualify them for the site? I'd think, it wouldn't be enough, but they could be able to achieve some kind of Honorary F1 Reject status. Who of these hasn't gone on to making greater achievements later in F1? At the time, I can only come up with Björn Wirdheim of Jaguar, and Ryan Briscoe of Toyota, who last night won the inaugural race of the 2009 IRL season in St. Petersburg FL, Anthony Davidson of BAR-Honda, who later raced for SuperAguri, and Franck Montagny of Renault, who also later raced for SuperAguri, but effectively would deserve Nelsinho's race seat. Oh, and Neel Jani of Toro Rosso, the defending champion of A1GP.
Are there more?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Captain Hammer

Re: Friday drivers

Post by Captain Hammer »

Chanoch Nissany, the first Israeli Formula One driver; he only started racing at thirty-eight and only drove a Minardi at the 2005 Hungarian race because of his popularity in Hungary, but he was well off the pace.

Enrico Toccacelo also drove fro Minardi in 2005; he was runner-up to Vitantonio Liuzzi in the 2004 F3000 championship and only drove for the2005 Turkish, Italiand and Begian Grands Prix before driving for Team Italy in A1GP and in the 2008 Superleague Formula.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I miss those 3rd driver rules. They gave us none other than Kubica (running all over Jacques Villeneuve's face) and Vettel.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
rffp

Post by rffp »

They could use the Friday drivers to make young and talented drivers a chance to get acquainted with a F-1 car. But with the prohibition of tests during the year, I guess the teams might want to make the most out of the Fridays with their main drivers. BMW gave up on the idea of Vettel as a Friday driver in 2007 after a couple of races.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Bas Leinders ran the third Minardi for a while, maybe 2004? I know he was at Monza.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

To answer the question that whether or not Friday TD's should be allowed a reject status, I'd say yes. At least Masami Kuwashima has qualified as a reject, and he only participated in one single Friday practice. Of course, it would be awful to write profile for all of the Friday drivers of the 2000's!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Nuppiz wrote:To answer the question that whether or not Friday TD's should be allowed a reject status, I'd say yes. At least Masami Kuwashima has qualified as a reject, and he only participated in one single Friday practice. Of course, it would be awful to write profile for all of the Friday drivers of the 2000's!
Kuwashima was at least entered for the race, and I think that is where the difference is.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Here's a complete list of Friday-only drivers:

Zsolt Baumgartner (Jordan) :arrow: initially signed only for the Friday of the Hungarian GP, he was drafted for the rest of the weekend after Ralph Firman's accident during practice.
Matteo Bobbi (Minardi)
Gianmaria Bruni (Minardi)
Allan McNish (Renault)
Franck Montagny (Renault)
Satoshi Motoyama (Jordan)
Bjorn Wirdheim (Jordan)

Ryan Briscoe (Toyota)
Anthony Davidson (BAR)
Robert Doornbos (Jordan)
Timo Glock (Jordan) :arrow: promoted to the race seat on two occasions to replace Giorgio Pantano.
Bas Leinders (Minardi)
Bjorn Wirdheim (Jaguar)
Ricardo Zonta (Toyota) :arrow: promoted to the race seat to replace Cristiano da Matta.

Pedro de la Rosa (McLaren) :arrow: substituted for the injured Juan Pablo Montoya.
Robert Doornbos (Jordan) :arrow: moved to Minardi to replace Patrick Friesacher.
Nicolas Kiesa (Jordan)
Christian Klien (Red Bull) :arrow: alternated with Liuzzi.
Vitantonio Liuzzi (Red Bull) :arrow: alternated with Klien.
Franck Montagny (Jordan)
Chanoch Nissany (Minardi)
Olivier Panis (Toyota)
Scott Speed (Red Bull)
Enrico Toccacelo (Minardi)
Alexander Wurz (McLaren) :arrow: also substituted for Montoya.
Sakon Yamamoto (Jordan)

Michael Ammermuller (Red Bull)
Anthony Davidson (Honda)
Robert Doornbos (Red Bull) :arrow: promoted to the race seat to replace Christian Klien.
Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber) :arrow: promoted to the race seat to replace Jacques Villeneuve.
Neel Jani (Toro Rosso)
Giorgio Mondini (Midland)
Alexander Premat (Midland)
Adrian Sutil (Spyker MF1)
Sebastian Vettel (BMW Sauber)
Ernesto Viso (Spyker MF1)
Markus Winkelhock (Midland)
Alexander Wurz (Williams)

Quite an interesting mix of drivers!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

The list of Midland/Spyker Friday drivers brings back good memories :)
BB01

Post by BB01 »

I liked the rule that gave teams that chose to limit in-season testing extra time on friday morning. I think it only lasted for 1 year but it allowed teams to test more relevantly, i.e. at the circuit, and allow the "friday drivers" experience in F1, and what's more, at a grand prix venue. With the ban on in-season testing now across all teams, it would be a good system to reintroduce because how else will a noob driver get F1 experience? Also it puts more cars on track for the fans. Obviously there are issues with engine life but if they can be allowed to use a specific test engine or something, i'm sure that can be worked out.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

BB01 wrote:I liked the rule that gave teams that chose to limit in-season testing extra time on friday morning. I think it only lasted for 1 year but it allowed teams to test more relevantly, i.e. at the circuit, and allow the "friday drivers" experience in F1, and what's more, at a grand prix venue. With the ban on in-season testing now across all teams, it would be a good system to reintroduce because how else will a noob driver get F1 experience? Also it puts more cars on track for the fans. Obviously there are issues with engine life but if they can be allowed to use a specific test engine or something, i'm sure that can be worked out.

Personally, I think there should be an extra testing day at every race on the thursday. It could even allow for a return of the so-called 'friday drivers'. The teams are there by no later than wednesday morning anyway and with the ban on any private testing, I think it would make sense. Tickets could be free or sold at a reduced rate, to allow fans more access to the races.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

RejectSteve wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:To answer the question that whether or not Friday TD's should be allowed a reject status, I'd say yes. At least Masami Kuwashima has qualified as a reject, and he only participated in one single Friday practice. Of course, it would be awful to write profile for all of the Friday drivers of the 2000's!
Kuwashima was at least entered for the race, and I think that is where the difference is.

Hit the nail right on the head. We considered the issue when Friday-only drivers started appearing. Basically, apart from the points/finishes criteria for a reject driver, the threshold is that they must have at least appeared on an entry list with the intention to race. That's how even Jorge de Bagration sneaks in ... :lol:

Oh and midgrid, thanks for the list ... I'd forgotten half of them (like Doornbos actually raced for Red Bull??? ... oh yeah he did too ... memory failing me in my old age).