2012 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2012 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

I'll kick things off with the usual announcement(s). Only a single DRS zone this year, on the back straight, and the actual zone itself has been shortened as it was deemed to be making overtaking too easy last year (witness Schumi being blown away by Webber).

And here's the weather forecast at the moment. :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6077243
Last edited by mario on 06 Jun 2012, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Upon request, I've added the date in the title in case anybody wants to refer to this thread in the future.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
johnston21

Re: Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by johnston21 »

I'll chime-in and make reference to last year's Cdn GP thread. ...Had a great time, thou not going to this year's.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4216&p=99019#p99019
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Rain on Saturday will mean a (hopefully) mixed up grid :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Anyone expecting a 'Neil Horan' in this race? :lol:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Rain on Saturday will mean a (hopefully) mixed up grid :P

FOM's method of predicting weather: roll dice
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

tkcom wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Rain on Saturday will mean a (hopefully) mixed up grid :P

FOM's method of predicting weather: roll dice

Not if it would disadvantage Ferrari though :lol:
mario

Re: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:I'll kick things off with the usual announcement(s). Only a single DRS zone this year, on the back straight, and the actual zone itself has been shortened as it was deemed to be making overtaking too easy last year (witness Schumi being blown away by Webber).

And here's the weather forecast at the moment. :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6077243

The long range weather forecasts for the Spanish and Monaco GP's also predicted rain during the race, so at the moment I am inclined to take those predictions with a fairly hefty pinch of salt.

As to the Canadian GP itself, Massa has been saying that he feels more confident going into this weekend because he has changed his approach to setting the car up. Although he conceded that the Monaco circuit layout did mask some of the areas in which the F2012 is weaker in, not to mention the fact that some of the set up requirements for Monaco are unique to that venue, he nevertheless feels that he can draw on what he learned at Monaco and use that in Montreal. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100142
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

FMecha wrote:Anyone expecting a 'Neil Horan' in this race? :lol:

If it happens, what a shame that Barrichello isn't still racing in F1... ;)
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
FMecha wrote:Anyone expecting a 'Neil Horan' in this race? :lol:

If it happens, what a shame that Barrichello isn't still racing in F1... ;)

Well, having a 'Neil Horan' in Montréal could trigger a butterfly effect that makes Barrichello win at Texas this weekend.

Although the latter might be more difficult to happen!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

The Autosport countdown clock to the race is, bizarrely, locked into whatever time it says on you computer clock, rather than using the start of the Grand Prix as a fixed point in time. That is to say, the time till the start of the race will change depending on what time you set your clock at, even though the time left till the start of the race is exactly the same wherever in the world you are.

Bearing that in mind, and that fact that the Autosport clock doesn't bear any relation to anything resembling reality no matter whether I set it to local or UK time, can anyone tell me what time the GP will start if I'm living in Chicago (which I am)?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

fjackdaw wrote:The Autosport countdown clock to the race is, bizarrely, locked into whatever time it says on you computer clock, rather than using the start of the Grand Prix as a fixed point in time. That is to say, the time till the start of the race will change depending on what time you set your clock at, even though the time left till the start of the race is exactly the same wherever in the world you are.

Bearing that in mind, and that fact that the Autosport clock doesn't bear any relation to anything resembling reality no matter whether I set it to local or UK time, can anyone tell me what time the GP will start if I'm living in Chicago (which I am)?

SInce it starts at 2pm local time and assuming that Chicago's 1 hour behind Montreal, the race will start at 1pm on Sunday in your corner of the world.

I on the other hand have to get at 5 in the bathplugging morning to watch it. Thank HWNSNBM it's a long weekend this weekend
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Wizzie wrote:
SInce it starts at 2pm local time and assuming that Chicago's 1 hour behind Montreal, the race will start at 1pm on Sunday in your corner of the world.

Ah, thanks! Autosport (at least on my computer) as 12 hours out then.

Dang, though, I'm going to miss it. Does anyone know when Sky repeat the full face so that I can catch it then? Ta!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Wizzie wrote:I on the other hand have to get at 5 in the bathplugging morning to watch it. Thank HWNSNBM it's a long weekend this weekend

Same here....jowever,I'm used to waking up at 4 in the morning so this race shouldn't be a problem.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

WaffleCat wrote:
Wizzie wrote:I on the other hand have to get at 5 in the bathplugging morning to watch it. Thank HWNSNBM it's a long weekend this weekend

Same here....jowever,I'm used to waking up at 4 in the morning so this race shouldn't be a problem.

Interestingly enough, the race starts two hours later than it usually does. Make of it what you will.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Mercedes F-duct in qualifying will suit them. Here's to Schumacher netting himself a pole position and a win.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Wizzie wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:

Interestingly enough, the race starts two hours later than it usually does. Make of it what you will.

Maybe to get a primetime spot in some parts of Europe?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

SKY F1 viewers are in for a treat this weekend as Jacques Villeneuve is joining the commentating "team". He's already been quoted as slagging off most of the drivers, the Pirelli tyres, the racing, and the sport generally.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... uve-865110

Welcome back Jacques! :lol:
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

CoopsII wrote:SKY F1 viewers are in for a treat this weekend as Jacques Villeneuve is joining the commentating "team". He's already been quoted as slagging off most of the drivers, the Pirelli tyres, the racing, and the sport generally.

I'm sadly all too aware of this fact. Just have to hope he doesn't bring out his guitar during the weekend. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

So who will crash in to the wall of champions this year.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

WaffleCat wrote:

And here it starts at 20:50. Bad for those who have to wake up for work next morning (like me mums, who has to be at work 4:00), but doesn't affect me thanks to the summer vacation I'm having.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:So who will crash in to the wall of champions this year.

Mine's on one of the Williamses. Which one however is entirely up for debate :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:

Mine's on one of the Williamses. Which one however is entirely up for debate :lol:

I'm think it will be Petrov.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

MSC probably, just for old times sake.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:

Just one of the Williams drivers? I wouldn't be surprised if both of them hit the wall, either there or somewhere else around the track, before the race weekend is out.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Probably Grosjean, or future champion, Pic.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Come to think of it, didn't Kobayashi clout the wall quite heavily in 2010 on lap one after making one of the best starts of the year?
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:Come to think of it, didn't Kobayashi clout the wall quite heavily in 2010 on lap one after making one of the best starts of the year?

Yes, He made up several positions I think.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Come to think of it, didn't Kobayashi clout the wall quite heavily in 2010 on lap one after making one of the best starts of the year?

Yes, He made up several positions I think.

Several? From memory, he went from 18th to 10th to the wall at the final chicane in less than 90 seconds :lol:
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

CoopsII wrote:SKY F1 viewers are in for a treat this weekend as Jacques Villeneuve is joining the commentating "team". He's already been quoted as slagging off most of the drivers, the Pirelli tyres, the racing, and the sport generally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Funny thing is, he doesn't realise that absolutely no-one who is serious about F1 takes his opinion seriously :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

Latest reports from Canada indicate that Williams are going for a new type of rear wing in an attempt to maximise the amount of drag shed when using the DRS, an area where the team have admitted in the past that they have lagged behind a little compared to other teams in (which is part of the reason why Williams have tended to perform a bit better in race trim than qualifying). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100177

Over at Red Bull, the team seem to have decided to remove the hole in the floor altogether for this weekend. Interestingly, it looks like there are some larger changes being made to the specification of the car, because it looks like the team have reverted to the original bodywork that they used in pre-season testing, and the version of the car that Vettel used in China.
This is how the car looks in Canada:

By way of comparison, this is the Monaco spec floor and sidepods (this image is quite large), where you can see an opening at the bottom of the sidepod:
http://i.imgur.com/YSr3h.jpg

Although it looks like Vettel will be using the older (i.e. without the opening beneath the sidepods) bodywork package, it is not yet clear whether Webber will run with the same bodywork or stick with the current aero package. It may be the case that the team repeat what they did in China and have different aero packages for each driver, since Webber seems to prefer the current aero package over the older specification.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Jacques Villeneuve if there is a god.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:

Jacques Villeneuve if there is a god.

Actually :lol:'d

Either Williams drive would be a good bet. Massa too.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I think Schumi is going to bin it there this year. Given his awful luck so far, this could possibly happen.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Funny thing is, he doesn't realise that absolutely no-one who is serious about F1 takes his opinion seriously :lol:

And here is that opinion now...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh, go home Jacques Villeneuve. I fear I will be shouting obscenities at the TV for much of this weekend. :evil:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

The F1 Slate wrote:
Jacques Villeneuve
I just feel compelled to express my extremely controversial views. The drivers today are nothing but spoilt babies who don't put in the years of development and climb the ranks in F1.

Michael Schumacher
Talking about climbing the ladder is a bit rich coming from the guy who walked into a Williams drive, managed two decent seasons, and disappeared into the kind of career obscurity only Chesney Hawkes could understand.

Pure genius :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

I :lol: 'd at David Croft.

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Says the guy whose name was not to be mentioned in video games... (think Sony's F1 '97 and MicroProse's GPM2) :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
The F1 Slate wrote:
Jacques Villeneuve
I just feel compelled to express my extremely controversial views. The drivers today are nothing but spoilt babies who don't put in the years of development and climb the ranks in F1.

Michael Schumacher
Talking about climbing the ladder is a bit rich coming from the guy who walked into a Williams drive, managed two decent seasons, and disappeared into the kind of career obscurity only Chesney Hawkes could understand.

Pure genius :lol:

I genuinely lol'd.

Here's the rest of it, the David Croft bit is the best.
I like the way Snrub thinks!