F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
UncreativeUsername37

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's time to accept these are all the entries I'm getting....

2. dr-baker
There are a few corners I really like. The right-left near the start of the track is ugly for cars, but would be fun to flick through in a kart, and it's cool to see that sort of thing. The westernmost corner reminds me of Copse, and the one before the 1-km mark looks delightfully easy to screw up. But most of it is just... too many squares, and other corners that aren't overly interesting. This has better strokes of genius than the other one, and I certainly wouldn't call it boring, but it isn't as consistent.

1. Aislabie
Turns 2 to 11 are frantic even by karting standards, but the long straights with slow or tricky corners before and after them should mean overtaking isn't too difficult. Corners I particularly like are 2 and 3, which feel wonderfully "karty", turns 4 to 6, which look to have a great flow without being easy, and the final chicane, slow but frightening. The main annoyance is the kinks before turn 7; you might know by now I love tricky entries, but it would otherwise be an overtaking point if and only if you're willing to be a bit daring, enabling the kind of move that can turn a decent race into a legend... but when you have good overtaking places anyway, that's not much compared to most of the corners feeling the same.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

French Grand Prix Challenge

Your challenge here is to redesign any circuit that has hosted the French Grand Prix in the past in order to host the 2018 Grand Prix. Otherwise, there are no real restrictions besides it being able to host modern F1.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259253

My idea is around including part of Porsche Curves to the layout, but keeping the circuit length shorter than Spa.
Last edited by Bleu on 23 Jun 2018, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Dexter249 wrote:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259281

Special Stage Kart 1

I'm going to assume this is in response to the challenge that has already concluded, and not the French Grand Prix challenge?
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Aislabie wrote:
Dexter249 wrote:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259281

Special Stage Kart 1

I'm going to assume this is in response to the challenge that has already concluded, and not the French Grand Prix challenge?

This is why you read kids! FGP challenge coming up.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259497

Rouen Les-Essarts, Multiple Mulsanne Style Chicanes added, and a trail used to make sure the front stretch is shorter, with a "Wall of Champions" style turn to the Start Finish Line.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259836 :glasses:

I'm willing to compromise on the Mulsanne chicanes. As for for my real entry...

I was going to do Montlhéry, because I was reasonably confident nobody would pick a pre-war circuit (well, Normal32 probably would). Then I thought Montlhéry would actually take quite a bit of effort to mold into F1's increasingly impractical image, so I went with something I could throw together in five minutes while I think of something better:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7259838

I think of all the French GP circuits of the past that aren't Grade 1 (i.e. Paul Ricard or Magny-Cours), Reims would be the easiest to bring up (or down, depending on your perspective) to F1 standards; Montlhéry's old road course section's too narrow, Charade's too tight even for F3 in its current form, Rouen's too dangerous and, truth be told, I haven't bothered looking at any of the other ones, I just immediately thought Reims would be easy. :P

You'll note that I deliberately chose not to place the starting line at its historical location. This is because I want to preserve the old pit building for, well, historical reasons. I thought using the N31 in its current form would be too problematic, so I decided to create a new section that I honestly put zero thought into and might change should I have the time/decide not to do Montlhéry after all. I also placed a chicane before the old first turn because that roundabout's just going to cause too many headaches. All in all, I think this is a super-amazing circuit that preserves the character of one of the great historic motor racing tracks.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7261572

Le Mans Bugatti was widely slated and was removed from the calendar after just one running of the event. So I have tried to make it faster, with more straights, to try to replicate the Mulsanne straight, but without as many chicanes.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. Dr Baker
I'm a big fan of the Bugatti Circuit, but I think you've made it into easily the best modern Grand Prix circuit of those offered. I would have quite liked you to keep the S du Garage Bleu, but honestly I have no complaints or even real criticism for the circuit you've produced. A clear winner.

2. Dexter249
The elevation changes make this rather an interesting circuit. Although there aren't that many straights to build up to braking zones, the fact that those braking zones are usually up- or downhill should make it very difficult not to make an error as a driver.

3. Simtek
A make-over for the classic F1 triangle from the '50s. I do quite like what you've done with it, although it's a very extreme circuit: the astonishingly tight T1 hairpin makes the long, flowing lines of the rest of the circuit seem like an odd contrast. And I really feel you could have done more with the right-left-right down by the roundabout to add a little bit of interest to the circuit. Instead, this looks like a race to be won by whoever can mash the throttle the hardest.

=. UgncreativeUsergname
This is what I mean about doing something more interesting down by the roundabout. However, your penchant for swooping fixed-radius corners does stop this from being the winning entry. If I could pick and mix corners from your design and Simtek's, that too could win this competition (although Dr Baker's entry is really rather special).

5. Adrian Belmonte
This is a tricky one for me; I think this circuit would be relatively fun to drive but the sheer lack of real braking zones means that any races here would be quite hard to watch as the aero-dependent cars would be strung out in a big long line very quickly.

6. Bleu
I really like the Bugatti Circuit. And I really dislike what you've done to it. No flow, no straights that aren't interrupted by esses or chicanes after a few hundred metres. Just not really what I was looking for I'm afraid.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wow. Cool. Will post next contest over the weekend.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just remembered about this while in the shower. So here goes...

The last challenge was to redesign a track in France. This new challenge is to design a new track in Croatia. Why Croatia? No reason. Just a country picked at random which has no motor sport history that needs a track built from scratch...

As usual, don't destroy any infrastructure. Either use existing roads or start from scratch in some field somewhere. 2.5 to 4.5 miles long should be sufficient.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:Croatia [...] which has no motor sport history...

Ahem.
#FreeGonzo
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Though after last night Croatia has assumed a lot more relevance.

Might as well enter this while I feel like it.
UncreativeUsername37

I decided to make something in the southern part of the country, since the north is pretty close to Spielberg, Budapest, and, well, Rijeka....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Croatia [...] which has no motor sport history...

Ahem.

Well, that's me told!
Gertrand Bachot wrote:Though after last night Croatia has assumed a lot more relevance.

Really? Must have just missed that. What happened? A few men kicked a ball around for a while or something?
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Of course i was going to take advantage of the only time the ESC was hosted on Croatian soil, all the way back in 1990

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7269200
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Neither of these two is likely to be my real course, okay...

But if we can simply obliterate national parks and it be okay, then this would be my entry. But we probably can't so it probably isn't.

And if this was a 1950s competition, I would be entering this Dubrovnik (Dubrovnako?) street circuit.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Aislabie wrote:And if this was a 1950s competition, I would be entering this Dubrovnik (Dubrovnako?) street circuit.

MotoGP raced on a similar street circuit in Abbazia as late as 1977.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=727115
Autodrom Split, A street circuit
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so it's about time that I got down to organising these into some kind of order...

Entries that I am ignoring

1. Aislabie:

You did not make a decision as to which I should accept as your entry. You even said, "Neither of these two is likely to be my real course, okay...", so I am taking you at your word!

2. Dexter249:

That link was not to a track/Autodrom in Split. It was more of a rally stage in Hong Kong...

3. Gertrand Bachot:

I gave very few criteria for the track. However, one of them was that the track had to be at least 2.5 miles long. Yours was 2.4326 miles long. Technically 118 yards and 2 feet too short.

Entries I am not ignoring

Which leaves two entries: UngcreativeUsergname and Adrian Belmont. And I will choose Ungcreative, simply for having fewer 90-degree bends in his (her?) track...
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Bidirectional Circuit
As you probably know, a few of the world's racetracks have the seas of runoff necessary to be run in either direction. That's what I'm asking you to do. Consistency is important, so if both directions are decent, that's better than one being amazing but the other not being fun at all (or unsafe). Maximum length is 7 km.
Gertrand Bachot

Here's my entry, in a controversial location (for a multitude of reasons). Note that both of the corners on either side of the long start-finish straight are banked at 10 degrees.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dr-baker wrote:1. Aislabie:
You did not make a decision as to which I should accept as your entry. You even said, "Neither of these two is likely to be my real course, okay...", so I am taking you at your word!

Well to be fair, there was an implicit question in that post - "Can we destroy National Parks?"

If you were okay with destroying National Parks, then I did indeed submit an entry. If not then I didn't. Not too fussed though tbh, even though I did quite like my circuit
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

This classic British airfield circuit at RAF Scampton is my submission. Currently, RAF Scampton is the home of the Red Arrows, but it is being sold off. This, I believe, would be a good use for it.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7274924
in the middle of nowhere
"The Saskatchewan National Circuit"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:1. Aislabie:

Well to be fair, there was an implicit question in that post - "Can we destroy National Parks?"

If you were okay with destroying National Parks, then I did indeed submit an entry. If not then I didn't. Not too fussed though tbh, even though I did quite like my circuit

In which case, you should have been more explicit in asking! Plus, there were two tracks in that post; it wasn't explicit (enough) which I should have considered as an entry...
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

I'm not good at making popular challenges, am I. Oh well.

DSQ. Dexter249
The track is over 7 km.

2. Gertrand Bachot
Even for someone like me, who can never fight the urge to make long, long main straights, that main straight is a bit ridiculous. Nothing wrong with demanding a Monza-like setup, but this goes beyond that.

As for the corners, the biggest complex of interest is the westernmost one, which in one direction is just begging for controversial incidents with a slipstreaming section followed a 45 or 50-degree kink before the actual corner, and in the other is a dramatic challenge, with the long straight afterward making it crucial to get a good exit, which is always going to be difficult with the kink in the braking zone into a zero-radius corner. Both turns 2/penultimate corners are good, one having a changing radius yet still flowing well, and the other looking really fun anticlockwise as you barely get off the throttle. I like the sequence of five angular corners the 3-km mark is near the start/end of too; it's so fast and it demands you to be inch-perfect, which looks really intense. I can already imagine figuratively holding onto something as I'm watching the onboard shots in qualifying.

Overall, despite having a few nice corners, I think I'd get bored driving this track, since almost everything is a long straight into an angular corner, and it'd get pretty dull doing the same thing every time.

1. Aislabie
Aside from the northwest complex, you'd approach the corners pretty much the same way in either direction, so that's missing out a bit... and what's with the chicane in the southwest? Why do you hate fun? Alternatively, why does B1398 have to be so close? What a jerk of a road. Anyway, it's another Monza setup layout, although it feels a lot more like something that would actually exist. The northwest corners look challenging in either direction, and the pair in the northeast looks particularly fun, and somewhat different to drive in either direction too. The corners aren't as extreme in their characteristics as the other track, so there isn't as much to talk about, but they all feel different, and the track as a whole sounds more fun, either driving on it or racing.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Juche Grand Prix

I saw Kim Jong-Un (ish) at the Test match the other day, which got me thinking.

Could the good folks of GPR design an F1-spec circuit in the DPRK?
Gertrand Bachot

Well, I figured I might as well try...
UncreativeUsername37

I don't know why imgur insisted on it being a JPG, but here's something in Sinuiju
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Generic FIA Asian circuit #666
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7282313
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ UgncreativeUsergname
A really solid racetrack. I like that you've tried to have non-constant corner radii and although I was looking for a street circuit I have a lot of time for a good permanent layout instead.

2/ Gertrand Bachot
You've done a good job of working in a couple of nice landmarks here - most notably the Arch of Triumph and also the May Day Stadium, though that is more in the backdrop. On the other hand, the actual design of the race track is uninspiring in my opinion, and I'm also not a huge fan of the start/finsh placement.

3/ Adrian Belmonte
This looks all at once like Paul Ricard and also like the airfield circuit in Need For Speed Underground II. Neither of those are bad things but I am not completely convinced. It manages not to be a very interesting layout but also not to have very many major landmarks that North Korea would doubtless want to show off. Incidentally, you could have done a lot better circulating in the opposite direction, but because a lot of your chicanes are wide in/tight out, it feels weird.

4/ Dexter249
This circuit feels squiggly for squggly's sake, and I cannot see this ever creating a good Grand Prix.

5/ Bleu
I'm sorry but I cannot condone this. You see that big X bit just before a mile? This is how people die.
UncreativeUsername37

Superleague Circuit
Some league has decided that racing needs to be validated via the world's most popular sport. Make a track encircling a stadium of the 2018 Série A or the 2018–19 Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, or La Liga. The pits and runoffs should be up to Formula E standard, so basically just don't be ridiculous.

That doesn't mean you should or shouldn't make an FE-style layout specifically, I'm just looking for something suited to GP2, F3... any open-wheel thing between F1 and F4. So pretty much anything not totally extreme will work. No point of the track can be more than 2 km from the stadium.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Two stadiums are better than one for this Formula 3 street circuit. Designed to have a similar feel to the Norisring despite being an entirely different shape. The key thing here though is that it encircles not only Anfield, but also Goodison Park.