F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Ferrarist

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Ferrarist »

tommykl wrote:I think I have an idea for a voting system. Instead of a period where you can vote, I'll put forward this proposition:

After the deadline, users post one nomination for best track and one for worst track. Only the first five users to post are considered. No track may be nominated more than twice for the same category. When the nominated tracks are known, the winner of the previous round decides who wins the round.

Thoughts?

Nah, I would keep the system as it is.

tommykl wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's mine: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5503999

While I wouldn't let Formula One run there, the WTCC or FIA GT3 could do awesome races on this track. In my opinion at least. :D

Sadly, your circuit is too far north to count :|

Why? I remember some other circuit being further up north. But where are Buda and Capataneii Ungureni anyway? :lol:
MIA SAN MIA!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ferrarist wrote:
tommykl wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's mine: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5503999

While I wouldn't let Formula One run there, the WTCC or FIA GT3 could do awesome races on this track. In my opinion at least. :D

Sadly, your circuit is too far north to count :|

Why? I remember some other circuit being further up north. But where are Buda and Capataneii Ungureni anyway? :lol:

The circuits further up north were disqualified for the same reason. Buda is the extreme northern tip of the lake and Capataneii Ungureni is a bit further south of the southern tip of the same lake.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

tommykl wrote:I think I have an idea for a voting system. Instead of a period where you can vote, I'll put forward this proposition:

After the deadline, users post one nomination for best track and one for worst track. Only the first five users to post are considered. No track may be nominated more than twice for the same category. When the nominated tracks are known, the winner of the previous round decides who wins the round.

Thoughts?

Sounds good,actually.However,let's increase the pool one track up,so more people can have a different say.Maybe it will come into play this round...
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I prefer the traditional voting method. Everyone gets their say that way.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I like the version where everyone votes better. It doesn't really "slow anything down", and it's better to have everyone's opinion decide the winner than just one person.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AndreaModa wrote:I prefer the traditional voting method. Everyone gets their say that way.

I agree
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:I prefer the traditional voting method. Everyone gets their say that way.

I agree

As do I.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just bumping this thread before the deadline in 3 days. Depite not having had any posts here for a week... Maybe a fortnight is too long for entries? Maybe a week is long enough after all? Unless there is now a flurry of extra entries!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:Just bumping this thread before the deadline in 3 days. Depite not having had any posts here for a week... Maybe a fortnight is too long for entries? Maybe a week is long enough after all? Unless there is now a flurry of extra entries!

Yeah, I'd think a week would be sufficient as well...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Crap,forgot to meet the deadline for my own competition :oops: .What's more,I don't think I have time to post all the entries down below me so far as I have a flight to catch quite soon :oops: :oops: .So,forget my little mess-up here.If someone could maybe post down all the tracks submitted to make it easier to vote would be okay,too.

Voting will still go on,but at the request of others,the deadline is shortened to Saturday,2 p.m..
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Best:
1. Klon
2. UgncreativeUsergname

Worst:
1. eurobrun
2. WaffleCat

Tough decision to make, really.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

UncreativeUsername37

Best track
1. AndreaModa
2. tommykl

Rejectfulest track
1. WaffleCat
2. eurobrun
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Best tracks:
1. tommykl
2. Klon

Reject tracks (sorry guys!):
1. pasta_maldonado
2. dr-baker
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Best
1. Klon
2. Tommykl

Worst
1.WaffleCat
2. Pasta
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Best:
1. AndreaModa
2. Klon

Worst:
1. MinardiFan95
2. WaflleCat

eurobrun wrote:Worst
2. Pasta

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Reject tracks (sorry guys!):
1. pasta_maldonado

In the words of a popular motoring show on BBC2 and Dave....That's not gone well :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Best:
1. TMLW
2. MinardiFan95

Rejectful:
1. dr baker
2. Ugncreatvieusergname

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Best:
1. MinardiFan95
2. EuroBrun

Rejectful:
1. Ugncreatvieusergname
2. WaffleCat
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Best:
1. tommykl
2. AndreaModa

Worst:
1. UgncreativeUsergname
2. dr-baker
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

WaffleCat wrote:Voting will still go on,but at the request of others,the deadline is shortened to Saturday,2 p.m..

Well, that window has passed, and based on a rough count of the votes, it appears that tommykl is the winner.

Before we proceed to the third round, perhaps we should consider shortening the timeframe for entering and voting. With two weeks for each, the thread keeps dying out.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Captain Hammer wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:Voting will still go on,but at the request of others,the deadline is shortened to Saturday,2 p.m..

Well, that window has passed, and based on a rough count of the votes, it appears that tommykl is the winner.

Before we proceed to the third round, perhaps we should consider shortening the timeframe for entering and voting. With two weeks for each, the thread keeps dying out.

Isn't WaffleCat American?
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

He may well be - but he posted that message on the 21st. It is now the 30th. Since there are only seven days in a week, that deadline he imposed has since passed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Warren Hughes wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

Isn't WaffleCat American?

No, unless I'm very much mistaken, he's Singaporean.

Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Captain Hammer wrote:He may well be - but he posted that message on the 21st. It is now the 30th. Since there are only seven days in a week, that deadline he imposed has since passed.

Fair play :oops:
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
RonDenisDeletraz

To be completely honest I really don't want this to die.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eurobrun wrote:To be completely honest I really don't want this to die.

Neither do I. All the entries came in in pretty much 4 days, if I remember correctly. One week for entries would therefore be more than long enough.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Sorry guys about all that confusion.I've got school that just started so I've had some time from F1 Rejects cut out.Some of my Hard Charger awards I managed to complete at whatever time I want,but it seems that I cannot even meet my own deadlines on time.Whenever a deadline is set,I always seem to have something on.

Doing a rather long head count,Klon shares the lead with Tommykl on 20 points,while I seem to have claimed the most rejectful track award.I could either let Klon and tommy fight it out to the death to see who won,but that would dirty the floor.So,the person who set the theme,which is Captain Hammer for this round,will choose who won.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm going to give it to tommy. I think the deciding factor was the user-created stuff - the extra bits needed to link sections of the circuit back up to itself; I really liked some of the corners he made.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Okay then,tommykl wins this,lets see what he wants us to design around.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

WaffleCat wrote:Okay then,tommykl wins this,lets see what he wants us to design around.

I already thought about this, actually.

So, disregarding the fact that the race was cancelled, the track for the Qingdao IndyCar race was pretty rejectful. What I'm asking YOU (yes, YOU!), is to design a better track than the original.

Guidelines:
-The circuit must be in Qingdao itself (since the city itself is huge, I'll limit the area to Laoshan, Shibei, Sifang and Licang subdivisions, which means the main urban area)
-The circuit's length must be between 4 and 7km.
-You may only use existing roads: you may not build bridges or tunnels to connect parts of the circuit. If they already exist, then you can.

Deadline: determined by WaffleCat :P

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Here is my take on the Qingdao track. A bit long being 6.7 km but it has both long straights and a more technical section for some set up compromises. Mostly based around the Hong Kong West Rd.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537582
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here's my attempt, it's main distinguishing feature is...it has a roundabout.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537780
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I do not know what is worse: actually using the rather pathetic loophole of tommykl not banning us from tearing down things, that my track still sucks despite of doing so or that I actually did research on Chinese gold medal winners to name the corners after?

Enter the Jiadingshan Park Circuit

With a track length of 4.342 km, this new track around the Jiadingshan Park in Sifang is home of the Indy Qingdao 600 and will hopefully deliver 222 laps of hot and thrilling racing.

Inspired by (read: Cheaply stolen from) the track line of the Australian Albert Park Circuit, the rather fast-flowing first half of the lap obviously begins at the start-finish line which is followed by a minor bent run to the first corner, forcing drivers to stay ever so slightly awake before the Lu Gan Corner (turn 1), a right-hander, virtually 90° yet still taken with considerable speed. Therefore slowing the cars down a bit are the NBC and ESPN Turns, turns number two and three respectively. Following that challenging twist, a slow corner is to be mastered, the Wang Shaofeng Corner. Now, the cars go full-speed through turn 5, the Rick Mears Bend. Now the cars hit their highest speed of the lap before punishing their brakes to get proper entry into turn 6 (Xu Haifeng Corner) which is important to get the first tricky section of the lap spot on: turns 7, 8 and 9, named after gold medalists Wu Shude, Jujie Luan and Ma Yanhong respectively. They are quite slow corners with the walls closer than anywhere else but the pits; this part separates the men from the boys.

After that it is getting faster again past one part of the park and onwards to turn 10, the Indianapolis Bend. After another straight, the second slower part begins with turn 11, Changchun Corner, a 90° left-hander, shortly followed by Chengdu Corner, a 90° right-hander. After that we arrive at the second very tricky section of this lap, yet another part the driver has to get perfectly. Turns 13 (named after the first Indy 500 winner Ray Harroun) to turn 15, the slowest point of the lap, are very tight unforgiving bends. Goux Corner, that being the name of the last turn in that section, is very harsh, coming directly after a nearly 90° right-hander, the Dawson Corner. After surviving that mean part and Turn 16, Melbourne Bend, it is a short dash to the last two turns, the Unity Chicane. From then on it is full speed to the finish line and you have successfully completed one lap around the Jiadingshan Park Circuit with only 221 left to go.
Last edited by Klon on 30 Jun 2012, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It's 157m too long, but I'll work on it:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537882
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537892

I just picked some random roads here...
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Benetton wrote:Here is my take on the Qingdao track. A bit long being 6.7 km but it has both long straights and a more technical section for some set up compromises. Mostly based around the Hong Kong West Rd.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537582

You definitely need to have it on satellite view for this one, because the Google maps roads are hopelessly inaccurate! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Alright,tommykl has decided what he wants us to do,so I'm guessing everyone will send in tracks within 4-5 days,so the deadline is now Wednesday,immediately after my school golf practice.Which I am estimating to be around 1 p.m GMT given a few time differences here and there.

UncreativeUsername37

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I can see why they didn't hold a race here: Not a bloody airport anywhere near Qingdao. Where do you land all the racing gear and what not?

Anyways, a good circuit that resembles Spa-Francorchamps and Hockenheim
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537931

Considering the limitations, I did quite well. The track's start/finish line is somewhere around the bottom of the circuit, around the marker between the 1km and the 5km. By far the best bit is the long straight that has the 1km marker, and is probably more than 1km long. It should be very fast. Between the 4km and 5km marker is a mock-up of the stadium section of Hockenheim, the only part of the circuit that Hermann Tilke bothered to keep. The only Tilke-Drome like section is around the 3km marker, but that was because I couldn't bulldoze any of the buildings. The rest of the turns are wide enough to allow for lots of overtaking. And unlike most street circuits these days, the pit straight is actually on the main straight. As it should be. :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:I can see why they didn't hold a race here: Not a bloody airport anywhere near Qingdao. Where do you land all the racing gear and what not?

You sure about that? It's next to Chengyang on the map as well ;)

Anyways, here's my entry
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.