F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Ferrarist

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Ferrarist »

Here you are, your Finnish Monaco: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5550927
MIA SAN MIA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Here's my attempt.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

You guys realize that you would be using some of the busiest streets of Helsinki with your plans? :lol: Especially Mannerheimintie, I doubt any authority would allow it to be effectively shut down for three-four days!

Anyway, this is about fantasy, and in the vein of old-fashioned F1, a local entrant enters this GP as a one-off. I tried to get as close as possible to where I live (which is not far from the border of Helsinki and Vantaa), and eventually settled for a course near the Malmi Airport: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551515
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I went mad and made this: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551535

So much DRS potential...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

I've finally got round to entering one of these! And who couldn't love a circuit that goes over the sea, twice!

The circuit runs clockwise, with a short start-finish straight leading into a 90-degree left-hander. This is followed by another short straight into the sweeping right-hander at turn 2, which leads onto the bridge to the mainland. This is the longest stretch of full throttle on the circuit at almost 2km, which bends right as it approaches the heavy braking point into turn 3. This is followed by a left-right chicane onto another long straight as the circuit passes over another bridge back onto the island of Lauttasaari. The next major decision of the lap is braking into turn 8, a tricky left-hander. From here, there is another short straight with a slight left bend in the middle of it which leads up to the right-hander at turn 9. Another straight leads into the quick turn 10 which is followed by a left-right ess bend. The final corner is the slowest on the track, a very tight right hand hairpin which leads back onto the pit straight. The pits and garage space would be constructed in the area to the left of the start-finish straight. It would be cramped by F1 standards, but manageable.

EDIT: This was done before I saw BLN's track. And of course mine is far better :P
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Righto, here's my entry, again demonstrating that street circuits don't have to be a twisting nightmare mess of 90 degree corners and short straights!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5553729

The start line is located by the marker with the black dot, and the circuit runs anti-clockwise. The straight is actually more of a very slight left handed curve, and the lap begins with the cars blasting through here, up to the right-left combination of turns 1 and 2 which would be taken at some speed. Carrying the momentum, the cars accelerate further out of turn 2, over the bridge with the sunken road underneath, and onto the second straight, which is about a kilometre long, with a couple of slight kinks in it. At the end of it marks the two kilometre point, and the end of sector 1.

Sector two thus begins with the heavy braking for the left hand hairpin turn 3, which would be the best overtaking opportunity on the circuit. From there, it's hard acceleration on to the back straight which is some 1.5km long., A right-left kink is just before the bridge where the track crosses back over the sunken road below, and after which the track remains pretty much dead straight down to turn 4, at which point sector two ends.

Sector three begins at turn 4, a tricky, tight left hander that is immediately followed by another short bridge over another sunken road. From here, the track enters a new phase, becoming a flowing sequence of fast turns, starting with the right-handed kink of turn 5, after which a short straight leads into the long left of turns 6 and 7. The former much tighter, with 7 leading immediately into the gradual turn 8 alongside the waterfront, and then left of turn 9 bringing the cars back around onto the main straight once more.

It's a fairly simple circuit overall, but offers a combination of both low downforce, high speed straights, interspersed with sequences of corners that would test the aerodynamics and efficiency of a car's downforce, resulting in a compromise in setup.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Oh man, I really should have taken a look at the other circuits, before I start designing my own. :lol:

But then again, three of us came up with a track in around the same area. Spooky! :?
MIA SAN MIA!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ferrarist wrote:Oh man, I really should have taken a look at the other circuits, before I start designing my own. :lol:

But then again, three of us came up with a track in around the same area. Spooky! :?

And me, dr-baker and Captain Hammer have all used the same section in ours! I've only just checked through them all now after posting mine!

Also, I'd like to point out, dr-baker, I think your track is pinned down as most rejectful right now because the right hander just after the 5km marker is impossible because the road going north-south is on a bridge over the top of the east-west road where the track is coming from! :P

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5553853

Making a run for laziest designer because 1. I haven't looked at any other tracks yet (and I won't until voting starts) and 2. I just really couldn't be bothered.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Okay,deadline is in roughly 5 hours time,so here is my submission:The [url=http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5554412]Helsinki Thunder 2[/url

The track starts off with a tight first hairpin that is good for overtaking.Then,two left turns after a short straight bring the track back to the original Helsinki thunder course.After a tight hairpin,the first sector ends on the original start/finish line of the Helsinki Thunder.

The second sector starts out with a long straight into a fast S-bend and a kink that has been regarded as one of the best parts of the circuit.Braking into turn 8 is tricky as there would be the added bumps of the tramlines running across the circuit.Turn 9 leads into a fast and uninterrupted set of turns that overtaking would be difficult through.A good run is needed out of those final sets of turns as it gives a good overtaking opportunity into turns 14,15 and 16,a chicane used for safety(and meeting the length requirements of the track).The chicane also marks the end of the second sector.

The third sector starts with a run over a birdge.This leads into turns 17 and 18,two haipin turns that overlap each other via the bridge.There is one,final quick dash to the line with another fast chicane in the middle.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

AndreaModa wrote:And me, dr-baker and Captain Hammer have all used the same section in ours! I've only just checked through them all now after posting mine!

Using the same section of circuit is fine, provided that the circuits themselves are vastly different.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Well, since I heard that Disney comics are widely popular in Finland, I decided to go with a Mickey Mouse track. Although I've also heard that Donald Duck is way more popular - but what is a Donald Duck track? A track with mean corners? A track that frustrates drivers and teams immensely? I don't know, man.

Helsinki Grand Prix

30 corners of Finnish fun make for a race distance of 68 laps.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Klon's really lucky that my golf practice was delayed by rain,otherwise his track wouldn't have made the deadline I'm setting right now.

List of Tracks:

Wizzie:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5550237
Captain Hammer:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5550399
UgncreativeUsergname:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5548740
eurobrun:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5550525
Ferrarist:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5550927
dr-baker:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551298
Nuppiz:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551515
BaconLettuceNinja:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551535
Warren Hughes:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5551526
AndreaModa:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5553729
the Masked Lapwing:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5553853
WaffleCat:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5554412
Klon:http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7303/helsinkifackyeah.png

Extending the voting deadline until Moday for this as I am going to the Rainforest Music Festival in Kuching for the weekend.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Best
1. Warren Hughes
2. eurobrun

Worst
1. Ferrarist/Wizzie (they are the same track after all :lol: )
2. UgncreativeUsergname
the Masked Lapwing

Best:
1. dr-baker
2. BaconLettuceNinja

Worst:
1. Nuppiz
2. AndreaModa
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Best
1. WaffleCat
2. AndreaModa

Rejectfulest
1. Klon
2. eurobrun
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Best

1.AndreaModa
2.Warren Hughes

Worst

1.Klon
2eurobrun

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Best

1. Captain Hammer
2. dr. Baker

Worst

1. Klon
2. The Masked Lapwing
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Best
1. BaconLettuceNinja
2. Warren Hughes

Worst:
1. Eurobrun
2. Klon

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Best tracks:
1. WaffleCat
2. Warren Hughes

Worst tracks:
1. dr-baker
2. The Masked Lapwing
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Objection! Most of The Masked Lapwing's track runs in Vantaa, and in fact only the very southernmost part of it is in Helsinki! While it is understandable that our city borders aren't well known in Australia, shouldn't we at least wait until Benetton says whether or not he accepts going off the boundaries before we vote more?

I happen to know that area well because I go there almost every week. The red-roofed building just north of Kehä III (and Point 4 on the route) is a Lidl, and my grandma lives just off the roundabout a bit north from here. The border between the two cities is between these two "landmarks".

And while at it, here's my votes:
Best:
1. AndreaModa
2. Captain Hammer

Worst:
1. eurobrun
2. Klon
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Nuppiz wrote:Objection! Most of The Masked Lapwing's track runs in Vantaa, and in fact only the very southernmost part of it is in Helsinki! While it is understandable that our city borders aren't well known in Australia, shouldn't we at least wait until Benetton says whether or not he accepts going off the boundaries before we vote more?

Yeah I'll approve it. Can't be too nit picky as the description I provided was just to give a general rule of thumb to where Helsinki's official borders are :lol:
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Best
1. Captain Hammer
2. The Masked Lapwing

Worst
1. Klon (I think he was aiming for this award)
2. Wizzie

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Best
1. AndreaModa
2. Warren Hughes

Worst
1. Klon
2. dr-baker (the impossible track)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Okey,the deadline is here so voting is Finnished (Geddit?)

Best Track

1.Warren Hughes-22
=.Andrea Moda-22
3.Captain Hammer-16
4.WaffleCat-12
5.BaconLettuceNinja-10
=.dr-baker-10
7.The Masked Lapwing-4
=.eurobrun-4

Rejectfullest Track

1.Klon-38
2.eurobrun-20
3.Wizzie-10
=.dr-baker-10
5.Ferrarist-6
=.Nuppiz-6
7.The Masked Lapwing-8
8.UgncrativeUsergname-4
=.AndreaModa-4

Random consolation awards

The Doppelganger award:Ferrarist/Wizzie.The did the exact same bathplugging track.UgncreativeUsergname's track was just a basic extension of it.
Divided Base Award:dr-baker.Moderate but exactly the same points haul in both of those.
Bathplug Mountains,I have Google Maps! Award(For those who think you can create racetracks doing anything,anywhere):dr-baker.I don't think I've seen a racetrack that flies off a bridge onto a road directly below...

So,Klon aimed for worst track and got it with some style too,sailing away.But,Warren Hughes and AndreaModa are tied for the first spot,which just leaves the theme setter person,Benetton,to decide who wins this thing.

Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Winner is WarrenHughes. It's a good, realistic, layout that I could actually see working. Reminds me of Montreal.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

There,you have it,Warren Hughes wins this on his first attempt!Now,if your'e a bit unfamiliar with this,Warren,what you have to do now is to set a "design brief"/theme that other people have to design around for the next track.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:Random consolation awards

Divided Base Award:dr-baker.Moderate but exactly the same points haul in both of those.
Bathplug Mountains,I have Google Maps! Award(For those who think you can create racetracks doing anything,anywhere):dr-baker.I don't think I've seen a racetrack that flies off a bridge onto a road directly below...

Yeah, maybe I need to research better before I submit my track proposal... :roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Benetton wrote:Winner is WarrenHughes. It's a good, realistic, layout that I could actually see working. Reminds me of Montreal.

Boo! :P

dr-baker wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:Random consolation awards

Yeah, maybe I need to research better before I submit my track proposal... :roll:

The only reason I found out was by zooming in a bit further. If you get nice and close up, it's pretty easy to tell where there are bridges, obstacles, etc! :)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Get in! Cheers guys. Now to set my own theme...

I'm going to completely ignore anything which remotely relates to my life and location, and set a very wide design brief: your circuit may be located anywhere in the Northern Territories of Australia, it must not be longer than 7km and at least half of that length must be on existing roads. You may not destroy any existing buildings/roads and you must specify the location of the pits and garages.

Do I get a vote on this or only the deciding vote in the event of a tie?

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Warren Hughes wrote:Get in! Cheers guys. Now to set my own theme...

I'm going to completely ignore anything which remotely relates to my life and location, and set a very wide design brief: your circuit may be located anywhere in the Northern Territories of Australia, it must not be longer than 7km and at least half of that length must be on existing roads. You may not destroy any existing buildings/roads and you must specify the location of the pits and garages.

tommykl did sneak in his vote for the "do better in Qingdao than Indycar" competition which he set,so I would say its okay to vote,just as long as you don't design a track of your own.

The deadline for the track is by Friday.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Warren Hughes wrote:Get in! Cheers guys. Now to set my own theme...

The Northern Territory? But there's nothing there other than that massive rock and Darwin :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hurrah! I actually get off my lazy arse and actually design a track... :|

Now, when he meant "Northern Terrorties," I just put a track in the aptly named "Northern Territory," Darwin, Australia to be exact. Then I found an airport that what I could assume would be a good location for a track.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5563639

You need the satellite imagery to get this track, because the map imagery doesn't show much :?

Hopefully this will get more votes than the Qingdao circuit!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

GP of Darwin, Australia.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5563690

The pit straight is inside of the start/finish straight (shocker) on Gilruth Ave.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

When I said 'Northern Territories', I did of course mean Northern Territory. Slight brain fade there :oops:

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here's mine; I did it in Darwin because that's what everyone else did.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5563756

There's a mix of tight corners, straights and curves. And other things.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5563999

Completely sane and workable in real life. Pits are on the left (east) side of the straight part of route 4.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5564189

This is my entry. It goes clockwise, the start-finish line is at the black dot mark, the pitlane is the other side of the road, parallel to the start-finish straight. It cuts through a golf course and a roundabout, but nothing is destroyed.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
the Masked Lapwing

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5564120

My entry, in Alice Springs. The pitlane is Railway Terrace.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017