F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Bleu

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Bleu »

Huddersfield:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7288836

The parking area after turn 1 is where the pits will be located - in Formula E it's not that unusual to have pits somewhere else than near the finish line.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

I did something for La Liga's most exciting newcomer

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7288986
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I guess this really is it.

DSQ. Bleu
The stadium isn't inside the track.

2. AdrianBelmonte_
I love the first three corners. Then comes that pathetically straightlinable chicane. Then most of the track is 90-degree corners which would be boring if they were between grass, but with walls they work. For the rest of the corners, they're all unique features, and the kink by the pools looks fun. Half the corners are really unique and half are 90 degrees. There are serious problems, though. The corner before the hairpin doesn't have the biggest straight before it but probably needs more than zero metres of escape road, at someone locking up on the inside of the corner at 3 km won't end well. And a few corners that should be overtaking places have some kinks before them that make defending way too easy in a frustrating way.

1. Aislabie
All the corners are angular but still different, like what Santiago thinks it is. The first two turns look quite fun to drive and should make some interesting starts, the chicane after the 1-km mark looks a bit scary, and the end of every long straight allows for overtakes but doesn't make them inevitable. The first corner could maybe use a bit more runoff, but that's all I got for complaints.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Scrabble Challenge

Today, your challenge is to design a circuit in a town or city beginning with one of the four Scrabble power tiles. For those of you who aren't Scrabble fans, the power tiles are J, Q, X and Z. The circuit can be a permanent facility or a street track, I don't mind at all. The only requirement is that it's in Jayapura, or Quito, or Xai-Xai, or Zwolle, or other such places... I'm sure you get the idea.

If it's not a Formula One circuit, just let me know what racing category you've designed it for. Have fun
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

This is designed for Formula E

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7293012

It may look like it goes through building but by the street view that is missing - I suppose it's just a tent which may be removed.
AdrianBelmonte_

Here we are, stretching the rules once again, with a city whose first letter can be either J or X, depending on your language of choice

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7293463

(this is intended for F3 or lower)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Something about this says F3000 to me, a longing for Helsinki Thunder perhaps... but that obviously doesn't exist anymore, so I'll say it's an F3 track.
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=710206
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ Bleu - Quebec ePrix
I like this track a lot. It manages to be a Formula E track that flows nicely, and the very nature of the cars makes that a very tricky tightrope to walk. In my opinion, this was comfortably the best of the three circuits.

2/ Ugncreative Usergname - Jarvenpaa SuperPrix
I think you're right, this screams F3000 street circuit. It's just that bit too pointy to take top-spot; there are a lot of short-apex right- and acute-angled corners and not a great deal else; if there's one thing F3000 pay drivers loved, it was high-speed kinks where they could throw their cars into walls.

3/ Adrian Belmonte - Xativa Formula 3 Circuit
Although this is a lower formula circuit, I think this one is just a little bit too squiggly. I counted fourteen turns before you reach the one-mile mark, and I think that's probably about ten too many even for the junior formulae.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Doppelgänger Challenge:

- Only existing roads may be used
- There are no restrictions on the location of the circuit - it can be city streets or somewhere on the countryside.
- The layout is planned to remind existing circuit as much as possible (please note which circuit that is when posting layout)
- The reminding circuit must hold a race in a championship which is spread over three or more countries in 2018 (so it's somewhat notable)
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Well, I have created an approximate mirror image of the Norisring (link) here in New York City: the Harlem Street Circuit. So Grundig-Kehre is a right here where it would be left on the Norisring; S-Kurve is left-right rather than right-left; Dutzendteich-Kehre is a right hander rather than a left hander. You get the idea.

The Norisring is eligible for this contest due to its holding rounds in DTM and European F3.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The challenge didn't take much interest it seems, so Aislabie is the outright winner here.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

This feels like a little bit of a hollow win, but regardless I'll set the next one and hope that more people turn up.

A simple Airport Challenge here: please design a Formula One, IndyCar or Super Formula circuit that uses only existing tarmac at an airport or airfield. Good luck!
UncreativeUsername37

https://i.imgur.com/c6kz04s.png

The track is 14 metres wide, with one brief exception detailed below. The first turn, Bonnier, is a simple 90-degree corner. Shortly after comes Wisell, a slightly less than 90-degree corner of similar radius.

400 metres later is the Rejectful Seventies Complex. First up is Roos, an angular corner with a kinked braking zone, which leads right into Palm. Get partly off the throttle for that, and before it's over you're already entering the constant-radius, roughly 270-degree Anderstorp. With a straight 60 metres long if that, you again have to make a compromise with what line you take before and during Andersson, a 180-degree corner that decreases in radius three fifths of the way through.

Nilsson comes quickly after that, a tight corner where you always want a bit more kerb on the exit. The next corner is in 450 metres, but you don't get a complete break just yet, because the straight has a few kinks in it plus a narrow section. Between the first left-hand kink and the one after that, so the middle third of the straight more or less, the circuit goes on an access road rather than a runway and is only 8.5 metres wide (not pictured). Johansson is sort of a giant Fagnes, and then you can have an actual straight.

After 840 metres, you meet Borgudd, a corner which doesn't really know if it changes radius or if it just has a kink after it, like a weird version of Parabolica or something. It leads onto a 1.27-km straight which takes you to the final challenge of the lap, the Ericsson chicane, which is in no way a ripoff of the final chicane at Gilles Villeneuve.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7306345&rf=1

A Circuit based at my home Airport Circuit Venue, Rockcliffe Airport, so an explanation here.

You start at well, The start straight, the first turn, a fast left-right section known as "The Complex" is followed by a straight (get used to that sentence.), before another kink or "Alpha-Bravo", and then a sharp turn "Bravo Taxiway" onto a short chute, before "27 Entry" and the long straight down the "Escape Road" before the first 180 degree left known as "Airplane Runoff" and back down "Escape Road" to "27 Entry 2" an acute corner before "Museum Turn" a turn onto one of the museum areas, then comes "Parking Lot" down a short straight into an FIA Track designer's wet dream "Rallycross Chicane", 2 acute chicanes, followed by "09 Entry" a kink for the long backstraight, next comes "Takeoff" a 180 degree corner at the end of the runway which then doubles back, and then the "Alpha Taxiway Entry", another turn on to Alpha Taxiway, before "Terminal" the final turn.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
AdrianBelmonte_

When it comes to race tracks on airfields, there's only one valid airfield...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7306448
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1) Zeltweg Airfield (Adrian Belmonte)
I really like this - it's everything you really want in an airfield circuit: monstrous back-straight, quick chicanes, and heavy braking zones. You've even managed to work in a little stadium circuit - good job, and far better than the '60s circuit!

2) Malmo Airport (UgncreativeUsergname)
Most of the way around, you've got a perfectly good airfield circuit, but that bit around Turns 3, 4 and 5 looks like your circuit had a hernia. I enjoyed the Zeltweg stadium section, but I feel you've taken it a step too far with back-to-back long, slow hairpins.

3) Rockcliffe Airport (Dexter249)
A little bit cramped and awkward unfortunately, and an airfield circuit without any brutally long straights isn't exactly what I was looking for unfortunately.
AdrianBelmonte_

YEA BOI

I'll come with a challenge in less than a week (i promise)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AdrianBelmonte_

Okay, it's challenge time!

Make a racing circuit on Vietnam, it has to use public roads in at least 75% of the circuit, and has to be suitable for F1

Yep, the rules here are a bit loose, but i guess it can make a good challenge

GO!
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Long time since I took part in this. Anyway, here's my entry!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7311220

The track is in Ho Chi Minh and utilises the streets of a circle-shaped neighbourhood. Lots of high speed corners should make it an exciting circuit. All the trees etc. on the streets will of course be removed if needed to make the track wide enough.
UncreativeUsername37

i only had to destroy one historic statue
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Da Nang Municipal Circuit

The Da Nang Municipal Circuit begins with a short run into a closing-radius Turn One that leads into a longer not-quite-straight. A high-speed right kink at Turn Two leads down past the Green Lake towards the sea before the long, sweeping Turn Three points drivers back in land. The double-apex Turn Four is where the track departs existing public roads and heads into the new purpose-built section. It's in a protected green space but it's only the very edge, so reprofiling the erratic elevation change into a single cresting hill should be fine.

A hard-braking downhill left-right chicane at Turns Five and Six should put drivers in mind of the Laguna Seca Corkscrew, before the right-handed Turn Seven points back onto public roads. A left-handed sweeper at Turn Eight points onto the back straight, before the heaviest braking zone on the circuit heralds the Turn Nine hairpin. Turn Ten is an almost imperceptible right-hander back onto the start/finish straight.

A few things to note:
  • The pit lane runs between Turn Nine and Turn One roughly.
  • The purpose-built section runs from Turn Four to Turn Seven, which isn't a huge amount of track (although there is a little bit of landscaping needs to happen to make it completely work).
  • Several bits of road will be widened slightly and traffic furniture removed to make this circuit possible - especially between Turn Ten and Turn One. There was no rule against resurfacing and widening, only on completely original bits of road!
AdrianBelmonte_

Okay, veredict time!

1. CarloSpace
2. Aislabie
3. UncreativeUsername37

That's pretty much it, your move now @CarloSpace
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Thank you!

I don't feel particularly creative at the moment so I'll just pick a random city...

CINCINNATI
Your job is to design a Formula E eligible race track in Cincinnati, OH. You are not to destroy any building and not allowed to use unpaved areas or roads.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Red-Bengals ePrix Circuit. Not a huge amount to say here, but transport links in and out should be good given that it surrounds two major stadiums.
UncreativeUsername37

AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7316373

it's a spade. No bucket. It's all about the spade, about the spade, no bucket...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Cincinnati FE challenge

1. Aislabie
2. AdrianBelmonte
3. Dr-baker
4. Uncreativeusername37

Not surprised that most designs were in the same area. I feel Aislabie had the best one of the bunch (love the tunnel section) but Adrian had a very nice one too. Norisring is a thing so I don't see why dr-baker's design wouldn't work. Ok, i can make a few reason why it wouldn't work but I like it nevertheless :D
Uncreative had a nice track too but I'm not so sure how well it would suit FE.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Thank you for the kind words about the circuit. My next challenge is...

Making hay while the sun shines
Your task here is to create a Formula One grade circuit in one of the world's five fastest growing economies. According to the EIU, these countries are Dominica, India, Bhutan, Anguilla and Ethiopia.

No other rules apply really, apart from obvious things like please don't completely encircle any hospitals. Enjoy!

(Also, for the wiki page could we use something like this for this challenge's flag?)
UncreativeUsername37

UncreativeUsername37

River Appreciation Challenge
When I'm casually on whatever pedometer site taking my first look at whatever city, a river is always a good sign. Even the blockiest of cities often have some nice curves that follow a river. Without making new roads, make a track that crosses a river, and the more crossings, the better. The minimum length is 3.5 km. For the cars, think open-wheel cars one step below F1. GP2, Formula Nippon, that sort of thing.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Yeah, I didn't see much point in judging that. I was really hoping more than just one entry would come in
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Not going to lie, this circuit for a Formula 2-ish Berlin Grand Prix might be a tad-bit dangerous
UncreativeUsername37

Aislabie's track may be slightly dangerous and may need an embarrassing FE-esque pit lane, but I cannot accept turn 2 at AdrianBelmonte_'s track. Aislabie wins, kind of by default.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Blank Canvas Challenge
Your goal is to design a Formula One circuit, from scratch, in a country that has never hosted a World Championship Grand Prix. The only restriction is that you cannot destroy and roads or buildings to do it. I will be looking at elevation charts as well (if they're provided) to see how entertaining your circuit would be. If no chart is available, then I will assume it is Silverstone-flat
AdrianBelmonte_

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7324430

In Upper "Jabba the" Hutt.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Voting time.