Indy Car Rejects

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Davidellias

Indy Car Rejects

Post by Davidellias »

So what if there was a sister site called Indy Car Rejects?

My Criteria, no finishes of 8th or better and only three combined 9th-10th-1th-12th place finishes. Sadly both Dennis Vitolo and Shegeki Hattori have had at least 1 top-9 finish so they sadly won't be on this list.

Marty Roth Canadian businessman whose money should have been spent somewhere else. Made Milka Duno look good.

Jean-Pierre Frey To call him 'slow' would make him seem he went faster then he did.

Scott Mayer Completed less then 10% of all possible laps in three race, and only one of those did he complete more then 10 laps. Oh and he crashed in all of them too.

Arnd Meier Alex Zanardi's best friend[/sarcasm]

Joel Camathias textbook definition of pay-driver

Milka Dunoadding her to the list was a no brainer

Toni Kasements Only Claim to fame? Being the first Soviet born driver in an American racing series.

Larry Foyt Average starting position 24th, Average finishing position 31st. and to think he has the name "Foyt"

Anyone else you think belongs?
This wrote: So they're actually time-travellers?
Jocke1 wrote: Deletraz yes. Lavaggi no.
Salamander wrote:So that's what Deletraz was doing!
Jocke1 wrote:He was trying to reach 88 miles per hour.
Londoner

Re: Indy Car Rejects

Post by Londoner »

At the moment, Ana Beatriz is a reject. One 11th place last year is her best result.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Why use different criteria to F1 Rejects? And who would make one list of rejects but not the other?

Edit: I think this will be a facinating thread and subject matter.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Davidellias

Post by Davidellias »

dr-baker wrote:Why use different criteria to F1 Rejects? And who would make one list of rejects but not the other?

Cause of the classic Openwheel points system giving drivers in the top 12 points as opposed to 6 drivers in F1 So the top 2/3 rejection themselves, such as in F1Rejects. :D.
This wrote: So they're actually time-travellers?
Jocke1 wrote: Deletraz yes. Lavaggi no.
Salamander wrote:So that's what Deletraz was doing!
Jocke1 wrote:He was trying to reach 88 miles per hour.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Davidellias wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Why use different criteria to F1 Rejects? And who would make one list of rejects but not the other?

'Cause of the classic Openwheel (IndyCar/ChampCar?) points system giving drivers in the top 12 points, as opposed to 6 drivers in F1. So the top 2/3 unrejectify themselves, such as in F1Rejects. :D.

I think I understand the point you're making, but as points in F1 expanded to encompass the top-10, the criteria for F1 unrejectification has remained constant. So maybe retain the F1R system?

(If the number of entrants scoring points is a criterium (singular of criteria?) for unrejectification, then no NASCAR entrant would unrejectify, a clearly wrong idea!)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I would keep the scoring system the same. Makes life a lot easier. Simona is still not a reject.

Anyway, here's a few;

David Kudrave -- Drove (and crashed) a car sponsored by Andrea Moda.

Jorge Goeters -- Mexican stock car driver had one race for PKV.

Patrick Lemarie -- Former F1 tester. Laughably slow.

Geoff Boss -- Wreck it on the pace lap LIKE A BOSS.

Willy T. Ribbs -- Perfect example of a talented driver in a series of crap cars.

Katherine Legge -- One more 6th place...

Alex Figge -- Slow. Slow. Slow.

Dale Coyne -- Slow but dependable driver in his own cars.

Jeff Wood -- Drove for a bunch of teams at the back of the grid. Didn't do anything with them.

Charlie Nearburg -- Successfully set the land speed record for normally aspirated cars. Almost wrecked about 5 people on debut in CART...

Michael Greenfield -- His father made an engine just for him. It was like the Penske Mercedosaurus Rex, only it sucked.

Marcus Marshall -- 2 seconds slower than the rest of the field on a regular basis (even slower than the second Rocketsports car... and that car was always falling apart). Replaced by Will Power. Rest is history.

Michael McDowell -- His claim to fame (in both Champ Car and in NASCAR) is either running slowly or crashing. I think he broke quite a few wings on debut...

Christmas Dinner -- Oops I meant Christian Danner. Best finish of 7th at Miami in 1995 driving for Project Indy of all people...

Nelson Piquet, Sr. -- Two attempts; one start at Indy in 1993 (DNF), one DNQ.

Alessandro Zampedri -- If you count the IRL, he's not a reject (YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!), but I'm not counting any IRL results pre-2003. All he managed to do is crash. A lot.

Carlos Guerrero -- If he's not a reject I'll be AMAZED.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Francesco Dracone The only good thing to come in the career was his name.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Verde

Post by Verde »

Gregor Foitek: Quitted Indy 500 attempt because was too afraid of hitting the wall.

Philippe Gache: I DON'T WANNA RACE IN THIS shite AGAIN, yelled in the Methodist Hospital following his crash in the 1992 Indy 500.

Guido Daccò: Italian gentleman that hung around in top motorsport seeking out for fun. Sadly scored four 12ths and, therefore, wouldn't be allowed on the site.

Shigeaki Hattori: Crash here, there, everywhere.

Kenji Momota: Couldn't qualify a Capcom car for 1992 Indy 500. Seen crying alone after it.

Stéphane Gregoire: Lead a lap in Indy 500 with the most coloured car of all times.

Michael Valiante: Miswritten Michel Vaillant? No.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Jay Howard Struggled for underfunded teams. Never given a full-time ride.

Richard Antinucci Success in Indy Lights could not give him the chance he deserved for the big time.

Thiago Medeiros Crashed in practice on debut. Barely made Indy 500 the following year.

Scott Speed Replaced in the Indy 500 by Carpentier because he wasn't up to (insert last name).

Ho-Pin Tung Injury forced him out of Indy 500

Mario Romancini No results, gone when the money ran out.

João Paulo de Oliveira Brazilian Formula Nippon superstar has his car fail at Japan, of all places.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

If only ChampCars/CART count up to 2003 (as per Cynon): Mike Groff - unrejectified in IndyCar, didn't do much in CART.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

We're using the same criteria as F1, then? 3 6th places, 1 5th and 1 other top-6, or a top-4 finish? If so, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned "King" Hiro Matsushita, who's most notable career performance besides from finishing 6th in Michigan is blocking Emerson Fittipaldi while he was trying to lap him, which led to his nickname.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Verde wrote:Stéphane Gregoire: Lead a lap in Indy 500 with the most coloured car of all times.

Buddy Lazier had a more colorful one (below). Did crap in CART, career resurrected by the IRL.

Stanton Barrett -- Stuntman Stan had a pretty crap career in NASCAR as well (midfielder in the Busch series in the 2000s, several attempts in his own car in the Cup series), but he had some of the best NASCAR paintjobs EVER with some of the strangest sponsors ever (Hair of the Dog, etc...). Also a Hollywood stuntman and fail IndyCar driver. I admittedly miss his NASCAR efforts.

Matt Halliday -- Last I saw of him he was failing in V8 Supercars. Last I saw of him in Champ Car, he got wrecked by Roberto Moreno at Houston.

Chico Serra -- Showed up with the Theodore CART chassis at Portland once. Blew up.

Juan Manuel Fangio, II -- Drove the Eagle-Toyotas when both were new. Best finish of 7th on debut in the PacWest cars, best run in the Eagle trashwagon was 8th at Road America, 1996, also known as the Panelbeaters Alert GP of Road America. Snagged a pair of 10ths the following year.

Johnny Unser -- DNQ'd for Phoenix, Indy, and Milwaukee in Dale Coyne's cars in 1994. Had three starts in 1993 and one start in 1994, best finish of 15th in his last ever run in Vancouver, 1994. Ran 9th in his first IRL race and ... yeah...

Robby Unser -- Attempted Laguna Seca in 1989 and DNQ'd. Last I heard from him he was winning drifting competitions. Not a Reject if all IRL results are counted.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

If memory serves me right,I remember seeing on some website that Johnny Carwash failed to qualify for all of his CART attempts.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Verde

Post by Verde »

Jon Beekhuis: From Indy Lights trophy to a steady job as a journalist in NBC. Best English coming from a non-native driver I ever heard.

Verde

Post by Verde »

Cynon wrote:
Buddy Lazier had a more colorful one (below). Did crap in CART, career resurrected by the IRL.

Guido Daccò drove this (UTTERLY AWESOME) car as well, right?

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Luis Garcia Jr., Gualter Salles,Tarso Marques
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Tim Richmond Hollywood good looks with a forgettable open-wheel career before moving to NASCAR, sadly died from AIDS in 1989.

Cale Yarborough Young NASCAR driver who drove a few Indy 500s and two USAC seasons before returning to stock cars to become one of the greatest NASCAR drivers of all time (83 wins, 3 consecutive championships).
eichy

Post by eichy »

golic_2004 wrote:Cale Yarborough Young NASCAR driver who drove a few Indy 500s and two USAC seasons before returning to stock cars to become one of the greatest NASCAR drivers of all time (83 wins, 3 consecutive championships).

Cale scored two fifth places, so he's not a real reject. But he should've gone better considering his NASCAR success.
American
JORDAN GRAND PRIX FOREVER
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

eichy wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:Cale Yarborough Young NASCAR driver who drove a few Indy 500s and two USAC seasons before returning to stock cars to become one of the greatest NASCAR drivers of all time (83 wins, 3 consecutive championships).

Cale scored two fifth places, so he's not a real reject. But he should've gone better considering his NASCAR success.

He did? I couldn't find any stats that say that. Thanks though.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Almost anyone who drove for Dale Coyne before 2008.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

WaffleCat wrote:If memory serves me right,I remember seeing on some website that Johnny Carwash failed to qualify for all of his CART attempts.

Nope, he started at Cleveland but he didn't last long before the engine went boom.

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Im going to link the two together:

Its amazing how many driver names on our site (therefore being rejects, obviously) have gone Stateside and try their luck.

Just off the top of my head....

Zanardi
Takagi
Marques
Nakano
Fontana
Chaves
and my pic Barbazza

to name a few!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

David AGS wrote:and my pic Barbazza

Barbazza is a unique case however as he went to America BEFORE entering F1
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Actually, Barbazza was 3rd in the 1987 Indy 500 plus a 4th at Portland International Raceway. Either of those would get him off the list.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Dj_bereta wrote:Luis Garcia Jr., Gualter Salles,Tarso Marques

There familiar names, I started watchin CART from 2000.

Garcia always won the Hard Charger award (I think on memory was for making most passes on first lap)

Marques was backed by Panasonic, but generally struggled in an ancient chassis, Swift on memory.

Same era, Michel Jourdain Jnr was similar to Garcia Jnr. before his Herdez cash landed him a drive at Newman Haas.

Wizzie wrote:
David AGS wrote:and my pic Barbazza

Barbazza is a unique case however as he went to America BEFORE entering F1

My bad. Also hes obviously Italian, so even rare to go to the States before F1 compared to a Yank or even an Aussie!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but Sebastian Saavedra is a pretty safe bet now.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

As well Ana Beatriz and Wade Cunningham.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Dj_bereta wrote:As well Ana Beatriz and Wade Cunningham.

At least Beatriz was mentioned earlier. Unfortunately some of the most dubious ones like Vitolo and King Hiro aren't available.
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Alex Yoong - F1 Reject ran 4 races in CART in 2003. His best finish was a 9th.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

simonracer wrote:Alex Yoong - F1 Reject ran 4 races in CART in 2003. His best finish was a 9th.

And, of all places, he drove for Dale Coyne's mob :mrgreen:

Also from 2003, you have one Tiago Monteiro, whose best result was a solitary 6th place at Mexico City driving for Emerson Fittipaldi and Jamie Dingman.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Harry Sauce: Sauce failed to qualify in the Indy 500 twice and for good reason. He spun Rookie Orientation in the 1988 Indianapolis 500 in turn one through the grass leaving a bizarre set of skid marks that were visible a month after his spin at the end of April when the rookies went through rookie orientation. He promptly withdrew in shame but the skid marks lasted long than his career in Indy Car. The other time, Sauce was turned down by track officials.

Jon Herb: 16 career races, 12 DNFs, and a best of 9th.

Dr. Jack Miller: If you thought Herb was bad, Dr. Jack added 5 more DNFs.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Wizzie wrote:
simonracer wrote:Alex Yoong - F1 Reject ran 4 races in CART in 2003. His best finish was a 9th.

Dale Coyne's team is based like 45 minutes from my house, so they've been one of my favorite teams just because of home town favoritism -- the other is Newman-Haas, who are in Lincolnshire, which is 30 minutes in the other direction from my house.

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Sorry for the thread necromancy, but Sebastian Saavedra is a pretty safe bet now.

Too early to say. He can qualify, but he can't race. If he learns how to race he won't stay a reject. Wait for the ovals.

I hate to admit that I think both are safely rejects as well, because I like Bia's attitude of it being better to be in the back than not be in at all. Bia did well at Sao Paolo last year, but aside from that and spinning on the pace lap at Long Beach (at least she didn't hit anything...) she really hasn't done anything special.

David AGS wrote:Garcia always won the Hard Charger award (I think on memory was for making most passes on first lap)

Marques was backed by Panasonic, but generally struggled in an ancient chassis, Swift on memory.

Same era, Michel Jourdain Jnr was similar to Garcia Jnr. before his Herdez cash landed him a drive at Newman Haas.

Hard Charger = Making up the most places relative to where you qualified. It gave a lot of incentive to guys in the back to do crazy stuff to get the point for it...

Marques's Panasonic money was courtesy of KING HIRO, whose family owns Panasonic. Funny that he also owned Swift (not sure if he still does, hence the past tense), and that Marques had a Swift at the time!

Jourdain, Jr. never drove for Newman-Haas, but right as he started becoming a bad smell at the back of the grid, he started qualifying in the top 10 in the Bettenhausen car... sadly, after Tony Bettenhausen himself was killed in a plane crash. His Herdez (and Gigante, I think) money got him a Rahal-Letterman ride and he scored two wins. I think he also holds the record for longest time between Indy 500 starts (1996, 2012).

Verde wrote:Jon Beekhuis: From Indy Lights trophy to a steady job as a journalist in NBC. Best English coming from a non-native driver I ever heard.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Professor B may have been born in another country, but was raised stateside. It would certainly explain his American accent, at any rate.

Bobby Allison - Yup, one of the Alabama Gang had 6 IndyCar starts. He finished 6th in a Penske car, but in all 5 of his other starts, he had mechanical problems!! If he had more starts and more reliable machinery, definitely wouldn't be a reject.

Jeff Andretti - I'll let A.J. Foyt sum it up: "God damn Jeff Andretti run right over you, dunno where the hell he's going!! Tired of this shite, some people don't belong in the god damn race car!!"

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Cynon wrote:Dale Coyne's team is based like 45 minutes from my house, so they've been one of my favorite teams just because of home town favoritism -- the other is Newman-Haas, who are in Lincolnshire, which is 30 minutes in the other direction from my house.

Ha I was born and spent the first 20 years of my life within 45 minutes of 90% of the F1 grid! :P
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Cynon wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Dale Coyne's team is based like 45 minutes from my house, so they've been one of my favorite teams just because of home town favoritism -- the other is Newman-Haas, who are in Lincolnshire, which is 30 minutes in the other direction from my house.

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Sorry for the thread necromancy, but Sebastian Saavedra is a pretty safe bet now.

Too early to say. He can qualify, but he can't race. If he learns how to race he won't stay a reject. Wait for the ovals.

I hate to admit that I think both are safely rejects as well, because I like Bia's attitude of it being better to be in the back than not be in at all. Bia did well at Sao Paolo last year, but aside from that and spinning on the pace lap at Long Beach (at least she didn't hit anything...) she really hasn't done anything special.

David AGS wrote:Garcia always won the Hard Charger award (I think on memory was for making most passes on first lap)

Hard Charger = Making up the most places relative to where you qualified. It gave a lot of incentive to guys in the back to do crazy stuff to get the point for it...

Marques's Panasonic money was courtesy of KING HIRO, whose family owns Panasonic. Funny that he also owned Swift (not sure if he still does, hence the past tense), and that Marques had a Swift at the time!

Jourdain, Jr. never drove for Newman-Haas, but right as he started becoming a bad smell at the back of the grid, he started qualifying in the top 10 in the Bettenhausen car... sadly, after Tony Bettenhausen himself was killed in a plane crash. His Herdez (and Gigante, I think) money got him a Rahal-Letterman ride and he scored two wins. I think he also holds the record for longest time between Indy 500 starts (1996, 2012).

Verde wrote:Jon Beekhuis: From Indy Lights trophy to a steady job as a journalist in NBC. Best English coming from a non-native driver I ever heard.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Professor B may have been born in another country, but was raised stateside. It would certainly explain his American accent, at any rate.

Bobby Allison - Yup, one of the Alabama Gang had 6 IndyCar starts. He finished 6th in a Penske car, but in all 5 of his other starts, he had mechanical problems!! If he had more starts and more reliable machinery, definitely wouldn't be a reject.

Jeff Andretti - I'll let A.J. Foyt sum it up: "God damn Jeff Andretti run right over you, dunno where the hell he's going!! Tired of this shite, some people don't belong in the god damn race car!!"

Bobby Allison was pretty much the unluckiest man hampered by a lack of starts due to racing in a different series. Tom Sneva in NASCAR has a similar story with a 7th in the 1983 Daytona 500 as his lone top ten in NASCAR.

Ken Schrader is a reject of Indy Car and a particularly bad one at that, DNQed in all of his Indy Car starts. Found more success in NASCAR, but even there he only produced two wins over a lengthy career and drives a car that is a complete non-factor in most races.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Davidellias wrote:
Milka Duno adding her to the list was a no brainer

Considering Milka Duno for ROTY is a no-brainer. She makes every hopeless F1 pilot look decent.

She has to be ROTY for 2011 because she cost Will Power the title many times such as breaking his suspension on one of the ovals and holding him up at Mid-Ohio. If she ever surfaces again i i will go beserk
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Davidellias wrote:
Milka Duno adding her to the list was a no brainer

Considering Milka Duno for ROTY is a no-brainer. She makes every hopeless F1 pilot look decent.

She has to be ROTY for 2011 because she cost Will Power the title many times such as breaking his suspension on one of the ovals and holding him up at Mid-Ohio. If she ever surfaces again i i will go beserk

If she surfaces it will be in NASCAR... where she will proceed to be a reject there as well!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I think I heard something about her turning up in ARCA. A fitting fate if you ask me...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:I think I heard something about her turning up in ARCA. A fitting fate if you ask me...

This?
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Dj_bereta wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:I think I heard something about her turning up in ARCA. A fitting fate if you ask me...

This?

Yeah, that. She's a hazard although no longer the backmarker in ARCA.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Considering Milka Duno for ROTY is a no-brainer. She makes every hopeless F1 pilot look decent.

I started to watch Indycar when Milka was already out (she was banned, wasn't she?). Is she worst than Ide too?
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine