Proof that lightning really does strike twice...

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Londoner

Proof that lightning really does strike twice...

Post by Londoner »

Remember Tomas Enge? You know, the fellow who drove for the dying Prost team in the final few races of 2001 and did absolutely sod all. Well, he dropped back down to F3000 for 2002 and was set to storm to the title, when he failed a drugs test, effectively costing him the title. Well, almost a decade later, he's done it again. What an absolute fool. :roll:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100501
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Phoenix

Re: Proof that lightning really does strike twice...

Post by Phoenix »

East Londoner wrote:Remember Tomas Enge? You know, the fellow who drove for the dying Prost team in the final few races of 2001 and did absolutely sod all. Well, he dropped back down to F3000 for 2002 and was set to storm to the title, when he failed a drugs test, effectively costing him the title. Well, almost a decade later, he's done it again. What an absolute fool. :roll:

He mentions having health problems that involve taking drugs that are in the forbidden substances list, so he might as well deserve the benefit of the doubt.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Remember Tomas Enge? You know, the fellow who drove for the dying Prost team in the final few races of 2001 and did absolutely sod all. Well, he dropped back down to F3000 for 2002 and was set to storm to the title, when he failed a drugs test, effectively costing him the title. Well, almost a decade later, he's done it again. What an absolute fool. :roll:

He mentions having health problems that involve taking drugs that are in the forbidden substances list, so he might as well deserve the benefit of the doubt.

His quote as in the Autosport article:
Enge, who drives for the Reiter Lamborghini squad in GT1, said: "I am in shock. After what happened in 2002, I've been careful in every way of anything related to doping.

"I suffer from long-term health problems and recently asked the FIA for an exemption so that I can take medicines that are on the banned substances list. Now I will consult with experts to find out how this situation occurred."

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Ok, maybe he does have health-problems, and I'm not going to call him a blatant liar. But, if he knew he was taking medicine that has substances banned, why didn't he inform the FIA in the first place?! Why wait until he got caught? Seems a bit amateurish to me...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Well, when Mr Enge failed his first F1 drug test that cost him his F3000 title, it was for Cannabis.

Have the FIA drug tests ever caught somebody else?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Bollocks, if it was medical treatment they wouldn't have pulled him up about it. Sounds about as convincing as any cycling rider's excuse, like Contador's "it was in some meat"! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yannick wrote:Well, when Mr Enge failed his first F1 drug test that cost him his F3000 title, it was for Cannabis.

So he suffers from Glaucoma then? 8-)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Drugs are bad, mkay.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

AdrianSutil wrote:Ok, maybe he does have health-problems, and I'm not going to call him a blatant liar. But, if he knew he was taking medicine that has substances banned, why didn't he inform the FIA in the first place?! Why wait until he got caught? Seems a bit amateurish to me...

I agree. If he really had health problems, he should have informed FIA before drugs tests...
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eurobrun wrote:Drugs are bad, mkay.

Indeed.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Yannick wrote:Well, when Mr Enge failed his first F1 drug test that cost him his F3000 title, it was for Cannabis.

Have the FIA drug tests ever caught somebody else?

It's not even like it's a performance-enhancing drug. If it was ephedrine or nandrolone or something I'd understand but marijuana would, if anything, decrease performance.

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Ok, maybe he does have health-problems, and I'm not going to call him a blatant liar. But, if he knew he was taking medicine that has substances banned, why didn't he inform the FIA in the first place?! Why wait until he got caught? Seems a bit amateurish to me...

I agree. If he really had health problems, he should have informed FIA before drugs tests...

Exactly, plus there's tons of medication out there which would aid his problems without containing banned substances. Do we know what banned substance it is?

I can remember when Enge got the Prost seat, he was rumoured to have sponsorship from Coke. They were nearly right...

eurobrun wrote:Drugs are bad, mkay.

Only when not taken in moderation...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Verde

Post by Verde »

As far I as understood, he actually asked FIA to use these medicines long time prior to the test. I prefer to wait a bit longer to see if he explains a bit better what is his problem and what medicines does he need to take.

I only think, in case of being innocent, that he was naive for not letting everybody know the truth before it came out. And just saying something like "I've been very careful about doping since 2002 and I have a long-time illness that forces me to take this and that" instead of being more clear doesn't help either.

Here in Brazil, we had a driver (Alceu Feldmann) that faced a similar problem. He didn't attend an antidoping test and justified it saying that he didn't need to do it because he had an informal authorization for using a medicine that replaces hormones. He was still banned for 30 days because he should have gone to the test with an official authorization issued by WADA.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

This just reminded me of the snooker player Bill Werbeniuk who most of you are probably too young to remember ...

From the 'pedia :

Werbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches – up to 50 pints of lager per day. He said that he generally drank around six pints of lager before a match and then one pint for each frame. He said he did this to counteract familial benign essential tremor.Later in his career he also took propranolol, a beta blocker to cope with the effects of his alcohol consumption on his heart.""

:)
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I can remember Rubens Barrichello nearly having to sit out a couple of races in 1995 because his cold medicine contained a banned substance? That is the basis for how my fan fiction story gets started, but that's another thread...
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Is it bad that I could actually picture Enge smoking a bong.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

madmark1974 wrote:This just reminded me of the snooker player Bill Werbeniuk who most of you are probably too young to remember ...

From the 'pedia :

Werbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches – up to 50 pints of lager per day. He said that he generally drank around six pints of lager before a match and then one pint for each frame. He said he did this to counteract familial benign essential tremor.Later in his career he also took propranolol, a beta blocker to cope with the effects of his alcohol consumption on his heart.""

:)

And then there's a Mr Keith Richards, who by all rights should have been killed off because of drugs by now :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Verde

Post by Verde »

LellaLombardi wrote:I can remember Rubens Barrichello nearly having to sit out a couple of races in 1995 because his cold medicine contained a banned substance? That is the basis for how my fan fiction story gets started, but that's another thread...

Barrichello himself told here in Brazilian media that he used Oxymetazoline Hydrochloridre because he was cold and urged a medicine that could solve the problem as soon as possible. Instead of asking Jordan Grand Prix's physician, he phoned his mother and asked her what could he take. She suggested a medicine (Afrin) that had the substance above, which showed up in the WADA banned substances list, and he took it.

When he got caught by the exam and Jordan figured out the actual reason, the team criticized him for what happened. The physician called him an immature guy.

And MASSIMILIANO PAPIS was caught in the same test, but I don't know any other information about it.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

IIRC both drivers became aware that they had taken this banned substance that would theoretically show up in a test, made it public when they were randomly selected, but their tests actually came back negative.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

(Now that I'm posting in the right area :P )

If Enge does have an illness, one that could ruin his career if the press found out about it - it might be worth him hiding the fact he was on a medication.

Tim Richmond from NASCAR, thats a good example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Richmond

I'm not saying Enge has this, but never the less, if it is an embarrasing illness, then he deserves the benifit of doubt for hiding it. If it is just illegal drugs though, then shame on him!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

eurobrun wrote:Is it bad that I could actually picture Enge smoking a bong.

Next to Michael Phelps and Shane Hmiel!
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!